The ‘It’s coming home’, or not, thread ( merged/updated )

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Alex Kintner
13 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

In celebration some England fans decided to climb onto an ambulance, cracking the windscreen and denting the bodywork, whilst a crowd of idiots cheered them on. What is wrong with these people?

There is also a video doing the rounds of one guy, apparently in Russia, who has done a similar thing to a Police van. Jumping up and down on the roof. Some other policemen happen to see it and quickly dish out retribution with their batons!

“Harmless banter or high jinks” no doubt.

Edited by Frank1874

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alex Kintner

• AuldReekie444

• Deviskan

• redjambo

1 hour ago, Class of 75 said:

Nice reply. Here was me thinking I was on a Hearts supporters forum but it looks more Celtic and Hibs from these replies.

What?? Wanting England beat makes us hibs or Celtic fans??  

Edited by XB52

1 hour ago, ramrod said:

Do people seriously think that England fans would be supporting us in any form of sport ? 

absoluley not and rightly so . I hope they don't go on to win it just to ram it up the media but if they do fair play to them I'll neither cheer no r cry . 

They have been lucky with the draw in as much as they have been coming up against teams playing one up front and for that reason I can see them beating Croatia. 

If they meet Belgoum in the final they have half a chance but I can't see them beating France . Mpappie, Greizman and Giroud etc will put the England defence under serious pressure . 

Categorically most English people would 100% support us.

Sorry to ruin the narrative arc.

Edited by Jammy T

56 minutes ago, glynnlondon said:

Southgate meets wee nippy.

0000029440.jpg

Southgate and Kane 

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

And this is the crux of the whole thing: watching England do well is made 10x worse because Scotland are utterly abysmal these days.  It's exactly what happened to Hearts last season.

Seeing small nations like Belgium and Iceland perform is a pain as well, and the SFA need probed as to their plans for the next 20years. 

All Scotland have left is the hope England fans riot in Moscow so they can sit back and smugly remind everyone of their "best loved fans in the World" label, before scanning the media for any insinuation that those rioting fans have been referred to as "British" :mad:

:spoton:

Special Agent Dale Cooper
1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

In celebration some England fans decided to climb onto an ambulance, cracking the windscreen and denting the bodywork, whilst a crowd of idiots cheered them on. What is wrong with these people?

There is also a video doing the rounds of one guy, apparently in Russia, who has done a similar thing to a Police van. Jumping up and down on the roof. Some other policemen happen to see it and quickly dish out retribution with their batons!

And they sang songs in IKEA!

Oh the humanity.

gerryjambo41

I’m normally on the ABE bus but they have played some good stuff to watch. If they can beat Croatia then France or Belgium they will have earned it . I won’t support them but if they win they win it and good luck to them . That felt as bad as tosh wanting Hibs to win the cup ??

Turkishcap

I have a lot of English friends out here so happy for them; me.....impartial to an extent but if they do well so be it. My life goes on no matter what. They have to put up with me and my maroon tinted view and will tonight as 10 of us going for an Indian.

Their keeper is very good and they're very dangerous from set pieces. Otherwise they're a bit limited, but if they play to their strengths they've got a decent chance. Would still expect France or Belgium to beat them though, even if it's not been a good World Cup for favourites.

48 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Categorically most English people would 100% support us.

Sorry to ruin the narrative arc.

You need to get out more lad or check social media . The English aren't this super lovely gracious super breed you would have us believe they are . 

They are no different from us Scots , a good few bitters, a few that quite like us and mostly a lot that couldn't give a monkeys about us re sport or most things in general.  

Sorry to burst your bubble but that's the reality . 

sairyinthat
52 minutes ago, world_3 said:

Their keeper is very good and they're very dangerous from set pieces. Otherwise they're a bit limited, but if they play to their strengths they've got a decent chance. Would still expect France or Belgium to beat them though, even if it's not been a good World Cup for favourites.

Seriously doubt either France or Belgium will be playing them as they will get leathered by Croatia easy money there if you're a betting man.

58 minutes ago, ramrod said:

You need to get out more lad or check social media . The English aren't this super lovely gracious super breed you would have us believe they are . 

They are no different from us Scots , a good few bitters, a few that quite like us and mostly a lot that couldn't give a monkeys about us re sport or most things in general.  

I live in England four days per week and most English people view us as British just like them and would support us in any sporting event except where it is against them. Andy Murray is a good example.

1 hour ago, ramrod said:

Lol - social media

I live in England. You know, real life.

You seem to be a very angry/prejudiced wee man

Edited by Jammy T

35 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

I live in England four days per week and most English people view us as British just like them and would support us in any sporting event except where it is against them. Andy Murray is a good example.

And I cheer on Lewis Hamilton, doesn't make me any more anti English. It's a stereotype built up by the media. We Scots really hate the  English when you should really be supporting our brethren ,because they truly love us , utter garbage. 

1 minute ago, ramrod said:

And I cheer on Lewis Hamilton, doesn't make me any more anti English. It's a stereotype built up by the media. We Scots really hate the  English when you should really be supporting our brethren ,because they truly love us , utter garbage. 

Not entirely - a lot of Scots take their antpathy to the English way beyond any sense. It really doesn't exist at any discernible level the other way round.

10 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Lol - social media

I live in England. You know, real life.

You seem to be a very angry/prejudiced wee man

More condescending clap trap . 

I really couldn't give to hoots about England winning the World Cup as I've never cared that much about their football or rugby teams for that matter . 

You or any other Scot can cheer on England to victory if I want , I won't be as they mean pretty much zero to me , I'll just be watching the games unfold and hopefully enjoying decent football. 

Calling me angry and predudiced for this angle is embarrassing and pretty much par for the course with your type . 

The Real Maroonblood
4 hours ago, Class of 75 said:

Nice reply. Here was me thinking I was on a Hearts supporters forum but it looks more Celtic and Hibs from these replies.

Wanting England to win is like wanting the Hobos to win.

Is that hard to comprehend?

6 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

Not entirely - a lot of Scots take their antpathy to the English way beyond any sense. It really doesn't exist at any discernible level the other way round.

You live in a fantasy world , of course it does , as with Welsh and Irish etc , good old fashioned Bantz , although a few take it to hatred levels .

Im just not buying this angle that the English football fan is this paragon of virtue that would cheer the Jocks on to victory. 

Bridge of Djoum
15 hours ago, cliffdanum said:

Yes Yoda...I bow to fact u know y I post and what I think...did u grow up watching Fraser by chance..

Frasier?

Edited by New York Fleapit

If England produce performances good enough win the next two games then fair play to them but having said that I don't think that they are good enough to beat any of the other three teams that are left in.

Ministry MK2
59 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Wanting England to win is like wanting the Hobos to win.

Is that hard to comprehend?

:cornette:

So many similarities. 

Edited by Ministry MK2

MacDonald Jardine
5 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I hope it doesn't "come home" (although i hadn't realised the world cup was started by England!). They would be a thousand times more unbearable (the media and commentators) than now and even 52 years on they're still crowing about 66!

They aren't really though are they?

I heard one reference in the commentary yesterday when the guy actually said he couldn't mention it .

It's now a self perpetuating myth by people looking to be offended. 

MacDonald Jardine
4 hours ago, Frank1874 said:

“Harmless banter or high jinks” no doubt.

To  be fair it would be seen that way had they been Scottish. 

Alva-Jambo

I'm following the England team but as a Scot I   take a step back when its football's coming home etc.  

Some English are snobby and uppety, superior kinds.  It is this assumption, that is built  into Football's Coming Home'

Though we also have a saying " wha's like us".   The English would say, well thank heavens not us!  

Many of us have very complex relationships with England, my mother was from Northumberland,  my Brothers are ENGLISH borderers, its never any problem until we get to the Winning the World Cup stuff. 

But Good Luck to that England team, if they win, they will have deserved to.

MacDonald Jardine
2 hours ago, ramrod said:

My experience is the majority view us quite favourably and would naturally want us to win against other teams. 

4 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

I heard one reference in the commentary yesterday when the guy actually said he couldn't mention it .

Indeed. It's almost been the opposite, that the fact the English haven't won the World Cup since 1966, or even been in the final, has been a millstone around their necks for a long time now.

Edited by redjambo

MacDonald Jardine
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Indeed. It's almost been the opposite, that the fact the English haven't won the World Cup since 1966, or even been in the final, has been a millstone around their necks for a long time now.

That's my take on it.

But some will tell you that after a mere 36 minutes 44 seconds they heard a vague reference to it.

And that's the English being obsessed with 1966!

Seymour M Hersh
9 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

They do and always have even if it was subdued yesterday. And to be clear I'm not offended by it just bored shitless hearing about it. 

MacDonald Jardine
1 minute ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

They do and always have even if it was subdued yesterday. And to be clear I'm not offended by it just bored shitless hearing about it. 

So what references to 1966 have bored you shitless in this tournament?

Seymour M Hersh
3 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

So what references to 1966 have bored you shitless in this tournament?

What part of over 52 years don't you get? Shouldn't you be on follow follow anyway?

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

2 hours ago, tcjambo said:

I live in England 7 days a week and this isn't true in its entirety. They do have more of a 'Britain' view but when you peel that back what they really mean is England.

There isn't as much bitterness towards us as we have to them (understandably given the history) but they wouldn't be supporting us. Andy Murray is a poor example as he represents himself/Britain which suits their narrative. If he represented Scotland he'd be just another 'Jock'.

MacDonald Jardine
3 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

What part of over 52 years don't you get? Shouldn't you be on follow follow anyway?

No I shouldn't. Great comeback though. 

I've said before I support anyone over England but castigating them now for continually referring to 1966 is utter nonsense. 

Seymour M Hersh
1 minute ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

No I shouldn't. Great comeback though. 

I've said before I support anyone over England but castigating them now for continually referring to 1966 is utter nonsense. 

Maybe I'm older than you and have suffered it longer. Now off you pop to ff or bears den! :laugh:

MacDonald Jardine
Just now, Seymour M Hersh said:

Maybe I'm older than you and have suffered it longer. Now off you pop to ff or bears den! :laugh:

I doubt you're that much older.

And I'm quite happy here thanks, even with folk like you.

1 hour ago, ramrod said:

More condescending clap trap . 

I really couldn't give to hoots about England winning the World Cup as I've never cared that much about their football or rugby teams for that matter . 

You or any other Scot can cheer on England to victory if I want , I won't be as they mean pretty much zero to me , I'll just be watching the games unfold and hopefully enjoying decent football. 

Calling me angry and predudiced for this angle is embarrassing and pretty much par for the course with your type . 

Red mist alert

Did you read my earlier posts on this or are you just too seething to see straight?

I said I didn’t care but it will be a good atmosphere this week.

Seymour M Hersh
Just now, MacDonald Jardine said:

I doubt you're that much older.

And I'm quite happy here thanks, even with folk like you.

Folk like me? Is that someone who doesn't try and defend the indefensible when it comes to Sevco?

8 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I live in England 7 days a week and this isn't true in its entirety. They do have more of a 'Britain' view but when you peel that back what they really mean is England.

There isn't as much bitterness towards us as we have to them (understandably given the history) but they wouldn't be supporting us. Andy Murray is a poor example as he represents himself/Britain which suits their narrative. If he represented Scotland he'd be just another 'Jock'.

Where do you live?

MacDonald Jardine
Just now, Seymour M Hersh said:

Folk like me? Is that someone who doesn't try and defend the indefensible when it comes to Sevco?

No it's folk using "**** off hun" or variations of it on entirely unrelated threads.

Seymour M Hersh
1 minute ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

No it's folk using "**** off hun" or variations of it on entirely unrelated threads.

I know I've gone off topic here but tbh I wish both cheeks would **** off!! 

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

I was always under the impression Baddiel and Skinner thought football's coming home to mean the game was coming home, as in England were hosting a tournament. I don't think it ever referred to bringing trophies home. 

Edited by Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

10 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Where do you live?

Midlands. Field based for work  though so Gatwick to Newcastle and all inbetween on a regular basis.

In my experience, they just don't really care about how Scotland do, they aren't desperate for us to lose in the way we are with them but they wouldn't exactly be sitting down to watch and cheer us on. Varies person to person obviously, same as anywhere, there is no common approach but the idea of them cheering their fellow Brits on is a fallacy in the main.

Edited by Taffin

colinmaroon
34 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

It is not a self-perpetuating myth.  It's not a myth at all.

Okay, because they're doing well, not a lot has been said, as in previous World Cups (superstition?) but, there was a montage of scenes from English matches in this World on TV the other day and, lo and behold, in the middle of it '66!

I met my dear wife the week before they won in 66', which saves the year for me but, it has been a constant drip feed for most of the last 52 years.

Celebrating by smashing ambulances because they've got to a semi-final???

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/national/wild-scenes-on-streets-after-england-win/ar-AAzJKrF?ocid=spartandhp

beerbandit
17 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Good luck to them. They have been a joy to watch and one of the best teams in this tournament so far IMO

Four shots on target, one a pen in 210 minutes play. A joy to watch?

MacDonald Jardine
1 minute ago, colinmaroon said:

It is not a self-perpetuating myth.  It's not a myth at all.

Okay, because they're doing well, not a lot has been said, as in previous World Cups (superstition?) but, there was a montage of scenes from English matches in this World on TV the other day and, lo and behold, in the middle of it '66!

I met my dear wife the week before they won in 66', which saves the year for me but, it has been a constant drip feed for most of the last 52 years.

Celebrating by smashing ambulances because they've got to a semi-final???

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/national/wild-scenes-on-streets-after-england-win/ar-AAzJKrF?ocid=spartandhp

Yes but what's wrong with that. 

A montage of any country at the World Cup would include past successes, however few.

This is a good example of people looking to be offended. 

1 hour ago, tcjambo said:

Oh right, was that cuddles they were giving the TA at Euro 96.

Alva-Jambo

McCoist and Nevin said they are " supporting England"  So are they singing " coming home" with their England mates?  they can't can they. 

Anyhow Scotland invented Football - we put on the first ever passing game with goalkeepers.   Scotland is the Home Of Football 

52 minutes ago, Ministry MK2 said:

:cornette:

So many similarities. 

Eh? It's exactly the same.