McLaughlin signs for Sunderland ( updated )

Tenor

It looks like McLaughlin may be off to Azerbaijan - Qarabag have offered him a "lucrative two-year deal."

Not exactly the move down south he was after, but good luck to him.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Juanjo15

• Maroon Sailor

• SwindonJambo

Harry Potter
2 minutes ago, Tenor said:

It looks like McLaughlin may be off to Azerbaijan - Qarabag have offered him a "lucrative two-year deal."

Good luck on that one.

Jambof3tornado
Just now, JJ93 said:

Lol. I would not want to live in Azerbaijan. 

I could cope for a couple of years if the money was big.

Nookie Bear
3 minutes ago, JJ93 said:

Lol. I would not want to live in Azerbaijan. 

Think it’s not too bad. Have friends who lived in Baku for a while and they enjoyed it. 

He will be living a decent lifestyle As well, on his salary. 

TheAntiHibee

Didn't Halliday go out on loan to some club in Azerbaijan last season and hated it?

Edited by TheAntiHibee

David McCaig

The sort of move that will quickly see him drop off the radar for the national team as well.

If he could last a couple of years out there it would set his family up well.

He probably wasn’t expecting such an offer would be mad not to consider it.

Also, Baku is lovely.

i wish jj was my dad
19 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Money before career type move 

Absolutely. I don't blame the laddie if money is his goal but he had a real chance of being Scotland's no.1. Needed to make the right move for that to happen.

William H. Bonney
17 minutes ago, Barack said:

Where did that: "His wife wants to stay in England" yarn, sprout from...?

Lost in translation. She clearly meant Azerbaijan. 

Great move to somewhere completely different.

Maybe he's had enough of the Scotland set up after the tour to Peru and Mexico so it doesn't matter if he slips off the radar.  Also, great chance to live somewhere different AND set his family up finance wise for years.

No brainer to move.

gashauskis9
46 minutes ago, Tenor said:

If his Mrs couldn’t settle in Edinburgh, HTF will she cope with the arse end of nowhere?

Good luck Jon M.

Good luck to him, a chance to set himself up financially for life, and after two years he can make a move with cash less important. Would be great to see him back after a couple of years on a long term deal.

I think Jon is one of the best footballing goalies I remember us having, and that's become important of late.

Bit of an unexpected one, but good luck to him.  We paid him to do a job for a year and he did it better than any of us would have expected.

7 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

If his Mrs couldn’t settle in Edinburgh, HTF will she cope with the arse end of nowhere?

Good luck Jon M.

His Mrs wants the money. Soon as he told her what he is being offered she would be packing the bags for him.

If I was given the chance to go there on great money for a couple of years, I'd absolutely take it.  Added bonus that you'd be less likely to have to play for a pwick like Mcleish.

It would be a great move for any Scottish player.

Big club with big ambitions in a great city. Also any other nationality and it would enhance his international prospects it's just a shame we have dinosaurs running our national game.

25 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Good luck Jon M.

Could be wrong but I dont recall reading that anywhere apart from this thread!

29 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Good luck Jon M.

The , " wife can't settle in Edinburgh",  story has a bit of a hollow ring to it now.

The way things have panned out, it appears that this was nothing more than a line to keep fans onside while he looked elsewhere for a lucrative deal.

I'd imagine this was just in case he couldn't find one and ended up staying.

I've no problem with McLaughlin chasing a big pay off, but his move away from Hearts clearly had nothing to do with him having to return to England for family reasons.

Edited by Busby8

Geoff the Mince

Earning a fortune,  great climate,  living next to the Caspian Sea. .  I'll have a bit of that!   Certainly not going to enhance his career. 

I think he realises that McLeish will favour Bain at Celtic over a 30+ Hearts keeper. If the money is good then it sounds like the right move for him IMO.

letsalldothebeattie

Seems very strange if he takes the move since he wanted to move south to be with his family again. But suppose money talks fair play to him could set him up nicely a couple years on the mega money out their

copa-mundial

Don't get the logic of being bitter about this. 

Footballer moving for financial reasons. If I was offered more money to do the same job elsewhere, I'd be off in an instant. 

Oscar admitted this himself on his lucrative move to China. 

Good luck to Jon. He made records for us. Be thankful we had him. 

11 minutes ago, Geoff the Mince said:

Earning a fortune,  great climate,  living next to the Caspian Sea. .  I'll have a bit of that!   Certainly not going to enhance his career. 

They're regulars in Europe so I'm not so sure it's that bad a move.

colinmaroon
1 hour ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Absolutely. I don't blame the laddie if money is his goal but he had a real chance of being Scotland's no.1. Needed to make the right move for that to happen.

I reckon he's sussed that, short of signing for the Uglies or a top Championship team, he won't get picked anyway.  Look at the pecking order on the jaunt to the Americas.

McLeish would have had him n for 90 minutes if he was seriously considering him as No 1 and, of course, where's McGregor now???

So, money it is!

Bungalow Bill

If his wife couldn't settle in Edinburgh (his home town) then she's got no chance over there.

5 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

What a dirty whore of a Man. 

....what a truly awful post.... ?

Mods take this poster to task.....infantile at best and well, at worst, ill let others decide........

Is there not a half decent chance of Qarabag playing Champions League football? I believe they won their league again. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
3 minutes ago, GavK1012 said:

Mods take this poster to task.....infantile at best and well, at worst, ill let others decide........

:facepalm:

3 minutes ago, GavK1012 said:

Agree but that seems to be his level

Cruyff Turn
7 minutes ago, GavK1012 said:

Tongue in cheek Gav. 

Edited by Cruyff Turn

Geoff Kilpatrick
3 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Tongue in cheek Gav. 

Indeed. Some of us realised that.

1 hour ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Money before career type move 

Hard to blame him tbh. He's hardly got a glittering CV and I doubt he's made anywhere near the kind of money he could over there.

The money he could make in 2 seasons there could be enough to no doubt buy a house to settle in for life when he retires.

Escobar PHM
1 hour ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Good luck Jon M.

Maybe he'll go on his own. Get 3 or 4 visits back and forth per season. Earn a fortune in the meantime. Made for life.

11 minutes ago, GavK1012 said:

He forgot to put the ☺in.

4 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Maybe he'll go on his own. Get 3 or 4 visits back and forth per season. Earn a fortune in the meantime. Made for life.

This is what I would think.

Baku is supposed to be a beautiful place as well so could be worse

The Apprentice

Have I missed something and he's officially signed for Qarabag?  Just because they've offered him a deal doesn't mean he'll take it.  Could easily be his agent leaking the info so it alerts clubs in the UK he's had offers elsewhere.

Cruyff Turn
4 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Indeed. Some of us realised that.

Some folk are juat to literal. I don't know how much Qarabag pay but it'll be 10-20k a week for tending the nets in Azerbaijan for a couple of years. 

Get the impression for him its more about life experiences and going and seeing new places rather than footballing security so I am sure this will appeal to him.

cant say I know much about the football over there but would imagine the weather will be a lot nicer - not so bad if your a goalie and not running around for 90 minutes.

1 hour ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Sounds like a great move and will experience a different lifestyle.

Be like living in Mayfield with some goat sh?((ing thrown in ?

I would love to bet paid to go and play football and live in a foreign country, even somewhere "a bit out there" like Azerbaijan.  If I could drop my job, and get paid more money to move out there and work in a similar job, I would do it in an instant. 

Good luck to him, Quarabag regularly are in the Europa League group stages, and even got to the Champions League groups recently. To say it's a step down doesn't really hold much water as he'll get experiences there he wouldn't get with us.