PLAYERS AND MANAGERS WHO GOT AWAY

JJ93

With all this talk about a fee being agreed for Milinkovic only for him (allegedly) to have wage demands so astray from our offer that the deal falls through, I started to think about something. What are the high profile names who we almost signed but did not which filled you with disappointment when it never came to fruition? Players and managers.

I can think of two for manager: Sir Bobby Robson followed by Claudio Ranreri.

For players, I am not so sure.

Over to you!

chester copperpot
Just now, JJ93 said:

With all this talk about a fee being agreed for Milinkovic only for him (allegedly) to have wage demands so astray from our offer that the deal falls through, I started to think about something. What are the high profile names who we almost signed but did not which filled you with disappointment when it never came to fruition? Players and managers.

I can think of two for manager: Sir Bobby Robson followed by Claudio Ranreri.

For players, I am not so sure.

Over to you!

Gudjohnsen :muggy:

Toxteth O'Grady

Mark McGhee - Got off the plane before going to see Romanov.

Edit I sould have read the OP properly I wasn't disappointed I didn't want the cheating Celtic minded prick anywhere near Hearts

Edited by Toxteth O'Grady

I have posted before that years ago a Polish international called Lubanski was widely reported to have agreed to move to Hearts.  He was considered to be one of the best players in the world at the time.  Hearts supporters had already nicknamed him Willie.

Russia allegedly intervened to stop the transfer going through and he later suffered a virtual career ending injury playing against England I think.

He's worth a wee look on the net.

I wonder if others of my vintage remember this.  It's around 40 years ago.

Can't mind the boys name but he went on to have a decent career with Southampton think it was Jefferies who wanted him Nordic chap 

Samuel Camazzola
Just now, kimosavi said:

Can't mind the boys name but he went on to have a decent career with Southampton think it was Jefferies who wanted him Nordic chap 

Egil Ostenstad? 

I'll add Andy Cole, Sebastian Schemmel (played as trialist v 'Boro) and Ian Holloway as boss. 

Just now, Samuel Camazzola said:

Egil Ostenstad? 

I'll add Andy Cole, Sebastian Schemmel (played as trialist v 'Boro) and Ian Holloway as boss. 

That's the one 

There was a story doing the rounds when I was a kid that we had been offered the chance to sign Bruce Grobelaar and John Barnes as they were unattached and not long in UK at the time. Probably touted around every club in Britain though, to be fair. Also heard Newcastle were having doubts about Peter Beardsley and he was being touted round Scottish clubs with Hearts at the forefront.

No idea if any are true but I believe Hibs refused David Platt once and also a young striker who went on to torment the **** out of them! 

Edited by Shaggy2

I'm sure I read somewhere that Vlad had lined up both Tevez and Mascherano in 2006 after the World Cup, but West Ham came along ........

Francky Vercauteren ex Belgian World Cup star came for a trial during Alex MacDonalds tenure, under Sandy Clark we made offers for Craig Brewster - Raith Rovers and Paul Kane - Aberdeen, both turned us down.

I’m sure we were linked with a move for Mario Kempes when his deal with Valencia ended , it was only to be 6 months .

think it might have been in Mercer’s era (81’)and was probably a publicity stunt.

36 minutes ago, Chaps said:

Sir Bobby Robson turned us down after we sacked George Burley 

Did it not come out recently his health had taken a hit and he couldn’t commit to the commute 

1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

I have posted before that years ago a Polish international called Lubanski was widely reported to have agreed to move to Hearts.  He was considered to be one of the best players in the world at the time.  Hearts supporters had already nicknamed him Willie.

Russia allegedly intervened to stop the transfer going through and he later suffered a virtual career ending injury playing against England I think.

He's worth a wee look on the net.

I wonder if others of my vintage remember this.  It's around 40 years ago.

Lubanski was the top Polish player at the time played for Gornik against Man City in the 1970 ECWC final, he was riddled with injuries and missed the 74 & 78 World Cups, he moved to some average Belgian club, Lierse rings a bell

Pele.

You may laugh but my Dad swears there was newspaper article about signing a young up and coming Brazilian in the early 50s. 

Links were being forged with the wider world at the time as the odd British player went to ply their trade abroad.

Was it Bobby Flavell who went to Colombia?

Maroon Sailor

Jim McLean (not pulling on a shirt)

Edited by Maroon Sailor

copa-mundial
37 minutes ago, Dinger said:

didn't Jim Jefferies turn down Ole Gunnar Solskjaer? 

Was it not rumoured or even true, that he was on trial with us?

Clerry Jambo
14 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Pele.

You may laugh but my Dad swears there was newspaper article about signing a young up and coming Brazilian in the early 50s. 

Links were being forged with the wider world at the time as the odd British player went to ply their trade abroad.

Was it Bobby Flavell who went to Colombia?

We have a winner..........

Who was the big striker we almost signed who ended up at Southampton (think Souness signed him)?

queensferryjambo
1 hour ago, Dinger said:

didn't Jim Jefferies turn down Ole Gunnar Solskjaer? 

Not sure if it was Jeffries but Solkskjar definitely had a trial and never got the gig.

I believe Alex MacDonald tried to sign Del Piero when he was 15 or 16 as well. 

46 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Fredi Bobic 

I was absolutely gutted that we didn't take him..

10 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Who was the big striker we almost signed who ended up at Southampton (think Souness signed him)?

Egil Ostenstad.

Someone mentioned him above :)

3fingersreid
1 hour ago, Shaggy2 said:

There was a story doing the rounds when I was a kid that we had been offered the chance to sign Bruce Grobelaar and John Barnes as they were unattached and not long in UK at the time. Probably touted around every club in Britain though, to be fair. Also heard Newcastle were having doubts about Peter Beardsley and he was being touted round Scottish clubs with Hearts at the forefront.

No idea if any are true but I believe Hibs refused David Platt once and also a young striker who went on to torment the **** out of them! 

You're right about Platt , wouldn't give Crewe the extra £20,000 on top of what they'd offered pulled the plug on the deal and signed Gareth Evans instead ????

Drew Jarvie  at the same time we signed Mr Busby from airdrie, 

Maroon Sailor
7 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Drew Jarvie  at the same time we signed Mr Busby from airdrie, 

That was an either or situation wasn't it ?

Jarvie would have cost more so Hearts went for Busby instead, have I got that right ?

3fingersreid
50 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

That was an either or situation wasn't it ?

Jarvie would have cost more so Hearts went for Busby instead, have I got that right ?

As far as I remember you are correct ??