Patience and Time

Bauld

Nookie Bear
14 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It's not true, we signed Fyssas as left back and Rudi as left midfield. Rudi played left midfield from day one with us and scored in his first 7 (IIRC) league games. He hit form straight away, not after playing left back for a while then getting moved. 

I actually had to check as I thought I was going mad. Jamie McAllister was left back for that first game - I remember Takis coming in at Tannadice a few games in. 

I’ll be honest, I’m not doubting Bauld is a Hearts Man but this is basic knowledge, no?

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Escobar PHM

• Elmore

• Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

• Bauld

Unknown user
10 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I actually had to check as I thought I was going mad. Jamie McAllister was left back for that first game - I remember Takis coming in at Tannadice a few games in. 

I’ll be honest, I’m not doubting Bauld is a Hearts Man but this is basic knowledge, no?

I'd forgotten that about fyssas, but I have to agree, this is a very weird conversation!

Dunno why people think Flogel settled straight away when he was quoted this week as saying he hopes our new Austrian lad settles quicker than he did, as it took him a while to properly settle.

Not sure you can debate with the horses mouth...

davemclaren
24 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Dunno why people think Flogel settled straight away when he was quoted this week as saying he hopes our new Austrian lad settles quicker than he did, as it took him a while to properly settle.

Anyone that was there knows Tam took a while to settle 

Enzo Chiefo
19 hours ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

My daughter is 3, so even although you had no idea, it's a pretty bad analogy to do online. 

Negative attitude? 

Nothing but positivity from me, I understand things take time, I also will support most if not all who represent HMFC and give everyone a chance. 

CL is more Hearts than you or me, so he deserves a chance to get things back on track- and he will, and folk like Stewart and the doom mongers on here will be eating more humble pie than normal. 

CL is absolutely not "more Hearts than you and me". He is a Fifer with no connection to the club prior to having been granted the privilege of playing for us. He was a great player who was dreadfully unfortunate with injuries and ended up  back as manager in 2000 .  He did of course walk out on us in 2004 on the eve of a big European game. 

I've never played for the club  - although i was fortunate enough to lead the team out as mascot in 1980 when JJ was captain - and I assume that you weren't a player either. However, both of us are "more Hearts" than CL. He has been a great servant to the club and i've no doubt that he cares about the club. But he lags behind PHM like Jim Jefferies, Gary Mackay and Gary Locke who have all supported, played for and captained the club.

grumpyespana
1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

CL is absolutely not "more Hearts than you and me". He is a Fifer with no connection to the club prior to having been granted the privilege of playing for us. He was a great player who was dreadfully unfortunate with injuries and ended up  back as manager in 2000 .  He did of course walk out on us in 2004 on the eve of a big European game. 

I've never played for the club  - although i was fortunate enough to lead the team out as mascot in 1980 when JJ was captain - and I assume that you weren't a player either. However, both of us are "more Hearts" than CL. He has been a great servant to the club and i've no doubt that he cares about the club. But he lags behind PHM like Jim Jefferies, Gary Mackay and Gary Locke who have all supported, played for and captained the club.

Nothing wrong with being a fly Fifer Enzo lol.

2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Darren Jackson???

Enzo Chiefo
2 minutes ago, geomac said:

Darren Jackson???

Ha ha. Took me a while to cotton on there. No definitely not Geo.

Enzo Chiefo
4 minutes ago, grumpyespana said:

Nothing wrong with being a fly Fifer Enzo lol.

Nothing at all Grumpy. :thumbsup:

i wish jj was my dad
On 22/06/2018 at 11:01, Escobar PHM said:

Yeh I wondered when folk would realise that we're gambling heavily on a scattergun signing policy producing half a dozen decent players out of 12 and come out with the old,  'be patient, it  will take time to settle' pish.

Taking time to settle is an utter myth. If youre a good player and you're suited to the Scottish game, you 'settle' about 15 minutes into the first game. If you're not good enough or not suited to the Scottish game you're never going to 'settle'

Levein has had time. 1 wasted season so far and counting. He needs to hit the ground running right from the off. He knows this and has said it himself. If the team is still 'settling' come October, Levein wont be here. He knows it. We know it. The press know it. Ann Budge knows it.

I know last season was a very big disappointment but it was far from a wasted season. We played 15 teenagers which is apparently the most in Europe. If even 3 of them fulfill their potential we have done something very special and I'm going to put my nuts on the line and say Cochrane, Macdonald and Chris Hamilton are going to make it to the very top.

While all that was going on CL stabilised us, cleared the decks of his disastrous appointment of Cathro and showed that no matter how shite we might perform we will never be bullied by the vermin on his watch. We had started to build some momentum at the turn of the year. If Djoum and Mitchell hadn't got injured I think there would have been every chance we would have finished 4th and had a trip to Hampden but we had nobody close to their quality to replace them.

Next season we will have cover for every position, will play half of our games at Tynecastle and different options away from home . I'm very confident we will see a big, big improvement.

i wish jj was my dad
17 hours ago, Jammy T said:

He didn't settle quickly. He was particularly awful in the first game at Ibrox but came into his game by winter. As for the comment about him being a full back playing in midfield:jj_facepalm:

shaun.lawson
On 6/22/2018 at 07:01, Escobar PHM said:

Taking time to settle is an utter myth. If youre a good player and you're suited to the Scottish game, you 'settle' about 15 minutes into the first game. If you're not good enough or not suited to the Scottish game you're never going to 'settle'

No. No it isn't. What utter nonsense.

It took Steven Pressley, with all his experience with Rangers and Dundee United, a year to settle at Hearts. It took Gary McSwegan, with all his experience at, er, Rangers and Dundee United, a year to settle at Hearts. Both got dog's abuse from the fans throughout that first year.

Ian Black? What signs were there when he joined us that he'd turn into some latterday Graeme Souness tribute act, which he'd very much become by the time of the final? Or how about Big Zal? Remember him? "Number 26". He was so disdained, he wasn't even referred to by his name... yet he turned into a fantastic leader and Hearts legend.

There's tons of other examples I could give too - just as I could with any other club. Heck: in Summer 1998, when Rangers spent themselves a long way towards oblivion, and seemed at one point to be trying to buy up the entire Dutch national team, it even took them six weeks to a couple of months to find their feet in a poor, poor league. Shelbourne, of the League of Ireland, went 3-0 up on them in the Champions League. We went 2-0 up on them in no time, and looked streets ahead, however fleetingly. 

It always, always, always takes time for a side with as many changes as we've made to gel. Why else do you think Hearts have so often followed a good year with a bad one? Build team ---> team finishes best of the rest ----> best players sold ----> team breaks up ----> build new team. And yes, it's disappointing that we don't really have a core spine in place to add just two or three players to - but there's no point going back over the past. It's about the present and future now: so let's see how quickly things can take shape.

Edited by shaun.lawson

18 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Anyone that was there knows Tam took a while to settle 

Flogel did not make his mark and a regular start until the 4-1 victory over Aberdeen at Pittodrie in early November 

2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Exactly! How many times has levein paid to get into tynecastle?  The three mentioned above had all paid to see Hearts before they played for them. Not slating him, but big Dave  was well off the mark with the 'more than' comment. PHM have paid to get in. :pimp2:

2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Ha ha. Took me a while to cotton on there. No definitely not Geo.

I couldn't find the photo of JJ leading him out as ball boy - would have been better

34 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

It took Steven Pressley, with all his experience with Rangers and Dundee United, a year to settle at Hearts. It took Gary McSwegan, with all his experience at, er, Rangers and Dundee United, a year to settle at Hearts. Both got dog's abuse from the fans throughout that first year.

Ian Black? What signs were there when he joined us that he'd turn into some latterday Graeme Souness tribute act, which he'd very much become by the time of the final? Or how about Big Zal? Remember him? "Number 26". He was so disdained, he wasn't even referred to by his name... yet he turned into a fantastic leader and Hearts legend.

There's tons of other examples I could give too - just as I could with any other club. Heck: in Summer 1998, when Rangers spent themselves a long way towards oblivion, and seemed at one point to be trying to buy up the entire Dutch national team, it even took them six weeks to a couple of months to find their feet in a poor, poor league. Shelbourne, of the League of Ireland, went 3-0 up on them in the Champions League. We went 2-0 up on them in no time, and looked streets ahead, however fleetingly. 

It always, always, always takes time for a side with as many changes as we've made to gel. Why else do you think Hearts have so often followed a good year with a bad one? Build team ---> team finishes best of the rest ----> best players sold ----> team breaks up ----> build new team. And yes, it's disappointing that we don't really have a core spine in place to add just two or three players to - but there's no point going back over the past. It's about the present and future now: so let's see how quickly things can take shape.

Well said. Pressley was bought to replace Weir, and didn’t find his feet properly until Weir was sold. Paul Hartley is another example of a player who didn’t find his form right away, and yet is rightly regarded as a Hearts legend. He was paraded at Tynie alongside Dennis Wyness, and like many others I was much more excited by the Wyness signing. That’s why I feel excited. I’m sure a couple of the players we have signed will turn out to be unexpected heroes, and I haven’t felt that way about new signings in years.

Edited by Doc Rob

Enzo Chiefo
41 minutes ago, Elmore said:

Exactly! How many times has levein paid to get into tynecastle?  The three mentioned above had all paid to see Hearts before they played for them. Not slating him, but big Dave  was well off the mark with the 'more than' comment. PHM have paid to get in. :pimp2:

Spot on Elmore. PHM have paid to get in:thumbsup:

41 minutes ago, sairyinthat said:

Do you consider he isn't. Do you consider yourself more so?

Ask big Dave, he started it. 

sairyinthat
2 minutes ago, Elmore said:

Ask big Dave, he started it. 

it was Your response  I inquired about.You and a number of others who have been grinding away at the club structure/management even to the extent of actively encouraging gullible fans to support a defeat of Hearts in a recent poll,worrying that.Getting the impression of fear that our manager and players in the new season are going to do extremely well.What is astonishing is there seem to be no willingness to stand back and see how it pans out,considering our first Ten games will give a very good idea of the kind of season to expect.

8 minutes ago, sairyinthat said:

it was Your response  I inquired about.You and a number of others who have been grinding away at the club structure/management even to the extent of actively encouraging gullible fans to support a defeat of Hearts in a recent poll,worrying that.Getting the impression of fear that our manager and players in the new season are going to do extremely well.What is astonishing is there seem to be no willingness to stand back and see how it pans out,considering our first Ten games will give a very good idea of the kind of season to expect.

Calm down Honeyhips!  It was a response to big Dave about him being more of a PHM than most of us on here. Its utter testicles. Ive never encouraged anyone to support a hearts defeat. Your talking bollocks. Re the unwillingness to see how it pans out. Who are you to tell people what opinions they can give and when they can give them?  Are you not a wee bit emotional for a message board?  Your post seems to suggest you are.  'I bet you hope we lose!' Listen to yourself. 

sairyinthat
26 minutes ago, Elmore said:

Calm down Honeyhips!  It was a response to big Dave about him being more of a PHM than most of us on here. Its utter testicles. Ive never encouraged anyone to support a hearts defeat. Your talking bollocks. Re the unwillingness to see how it pans out. Who are you to tell people what opinions they can give and when they can give them?  Are you not a wee bit emotional for a message board?  Your post seems to suggest you are.  'I bet you hope we lose!' Listen to yourself. 

Yeah sure thing,like I say seem to fear.

20 minutes ago, sairyinthat said:

Yeah sure thing,like I say seem to fear.

Why would I fear us having a good start to the season?  I hope the new players do hit the ground running. All you seem to do is fear anyone having a different opinion to yours. You've been hitting us with the anti levein accusations for a while now.  Why are you trying to stop posters having a open discussion?  What you scared off?

sairyinthat

Why would I fear us having a good start to the season?  I hope the new players do hit the ground running. All you seem to do is fear anyone having a different opinion to yours. You've been hitting us with the anti levein accusations for a while now.  Why are you trying to stop posters having a open discussion?  What you scared off?

Us is it.

10 minutes ago, sairyinthat said:

Us is it.

Is it not?  At least have the courage to come out and say it. You got stomach trouble?  No guts. Out with it if you think im  not a hearts fan. 

39 minutes ago, Elmore said:

Is it not?  At least have the courage to come out and say it. You got stomach trouble?  No guts. Out with it if you think im  not a hearts fan. 

You guys could always have a ‘meet’ in the Diggers. Run a wee bit ‘commentary’, that sort of thing?

6 minutes ago, Morgan said:

You guys could always have a ‘meet’ in the Diggers. Run a wee bit ‘commentary’, that sort of thing?

He's lucky I cannae fight...I'd kick his arse. I'm not fighting someone who seems a bit emotionally fecked up. You know what they're like, they never give up. Mind they wee guys at school with that psycho anger?  He might be like that. Maybe his username is what he says to folk after lamping them.  

1 minute ago, Elmore said:

He's lucky I cannae fight...I'd kick his arse. I'm not fighting someone who seems a bit emotionally fecked up. You know what they're like, they never give up. Mind they wee guys at school with that psycho anger?  He might be like that. Maybe his username is what he says to folk after lamping them.  

:interehjrling: response. This all sounds familiar.  Perhaps there should be a wee ‘meet’ in the back room in the Diggers. It’s FREE!

Didny expect that!!  

Just now, Morgan said:

:interehjrling: response. This all sounds familiar.  Perhaps there should be a wee ‘meet’ in the back room in the Diggers. It’s FREE!

Didny expect that!!  

I'm backing oot. He wins. You fight him!  I can see you are trying to resolve this issue rather than shite stir. You're a gentleman Morgan, a proper gentleman. Thanks!

I'm backing oot. He wins. You fight him!  I can see you are trying to resolve this issue rather than shite stir. You're a gentleman Morgan, a proper gentleman. Thanks!

My jambes are sore, I wish you good night my friend.

Its ‘out’.

Blooter?  What then? :laugh:

Who knows Les.

Really, who knows?

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

My jambes are sore, I wish you good night my friend.

Its ‘out’.

I know it's 'out'.  Any mentions of violence and I get nervous and start sounding a wee bit schemie. 

I know it's 'out'.  Any mentions of violence and I get nervous and start sounding a wee bit schemie. 

I know.

Escobar PHM
16 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Took around 12 minutes for the 05/06 team to settle. 

davemclaren
6 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

To be fair, most of them were better players than we normally have. ?

i wish jj was my dad
23 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Probably our best side in50 years. Certainly the most expensive one we have assembled. So I wouldn't expect every other rebuild to work just as well.

Escobar PHM
2 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Probably our best side in50 years. Certainly the most expensive one we have assembled. So I wouldn't expect every other rebuild to work just as well.

So in other words, like I said, a good set of players take less time to settle, and in some cases, no time at all. All a moot point really because Levein wont be allowed 2-3 months for this team to settle.

6 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

So in other words, like I said, a good set of players take less time to settle, and in some cases, no time at all. All a moot point really because Levein wont be allowed 2-3 months for this team to settle.

No, you said the whole notion of settling was a "myth".

i wish jj was my dad
3 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

It also helped that the spine of that team was also the spine of the national team so the circumstances are completely different.

But i agree he won't be given any time for his team to gel and I don't think he expects it either but if you are setting the bar at the summer of 2005 you will be disappointed.

Escobar PHM
6 minutes ago, WageThief said:

No, you said the whole notion of settling was a "myth".

And I stand by that. That is one of the things pre-season should be used for. The idea that this team should or will be given half a dozen  games where poor results and/or performances can be excused by the team having to settle is unacceptable to me and I certainly hope Levein feels that way too.

Ministry of Football
On 21/06/2018 at 19:49, Bauld said:

10 players in with more on the way. It's an impressive window but it is also another season where we are having to start over again.

We perhaps have a better core in place to build from this season with players like Berra who will let the new boys know exactly what is expected but it is still a drastic overhaul.

We need to be realistic about giving this team time to forge an understanding and become a solid unit. Some of these lads might hit the ground running but most will require time to settle into a new club, culture, country etc. It's going to be a massive change for some and even if they have the ability it might take some a while to be able to show it.

Hopefully, we will get off to a stormer and I'm absolutely buzzing to see the new team in competitive action. However should we stumble a bit I think we need to remain patient and back the team to find it's feet.

Nope. 

As soon as the season starts, the team and our manager will be judged accordingly. 

There is absolutely no point in waiting for a quarter of the season to complete, to allow players to gel. Levein's job is to get them ready from the off and no excuses are acceptable now. 

As for the impressive window, some on here seem very easily pleased. No players of note have been brought in and we don't yet know if the ones we have got, are any good or not. 

In my opinion, the players we bring in are not necessarily the defining factor here. It is the mindset of the manager away from home which will decide our season. 

With the fixtures as good as they are for us, we should be top 2 or 3 after the first round of games. 

BobbyJenkins

Pre season has just started, we’ve clearly not completed all our transfers in and out. ?

edit: meant to quote ministry of football

Edited by BobbyJenkins

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
11 minutes ago, Ministry of Football said:

In my opinion, the players we bring in are not necessarily the defining factor here. It is the mindset of the manager away from home which will decide our season. 

This is it in a nutshell. We could have signed one player or 21, doesn't matter. We'll know within the first 90 minutes at Hamilton if things are likely to be much different. 

i wish jj was my dad
2 hours ago, Escobar PHM said:

And I stand by that. That is one of the things pre-season should be used for. The idea that this team should or will be given half a dozen  games where poor results and/or performances can be excused by the team having to settle is unacceptable to me and I certainly hope Levein feels that way too.

He has already said he expects the team to hit the ground running.  Whether we do or not we will have to wait and see but better teams than Hearts have taken time to gel. 

I'd have hated to see how some on here would have reacted to the starts we had in 85 and 95.

23 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I know last season was a very big disappointment but it was far from a wasted season. We played 15 teenagers which is apparently the most in Europe. If even 3 of them fulfill their potential we have done something very special and I'm going to put my nuts on the line and say Cochrane, Macdonald and Chris Hamilton are going to make it to the very top.

While all that was going on CL stabilised us, cleared the decks of his disastrous appointment of Cathro and showed that no matter how shite we might perform we will never be bullied by the vermin on his watch. We had started to build some momentum at the turn of the year. If Djoum and Mitchell hadn't got injured I think there would have been every chance we would have finished 4th and had a trip to Hampden but we had nobody close to their quality to replace them.

Next season we will have cover for every position, will play half of our games at Tynecastle and different options away from home . I'm very confident we will see a big, big improvement.

I agree on this big improvements ahead.

Good League cup start would be nice.

shaun.lawson
7 hours ago, Escobar PHM said:

What - after we bust the bank (5m than we could afford) signing an absolute shedload of quality? Great comparison, that. :rolleyes: 

1 hour ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I'd have hated to see how some on here would have reacted to the starts we had in 85 and 95.

Exactly. It's not about how we start, but how we finish.