Patience and Time

Bauld

i wish jj was my dad
1 hour ago, shaun.lawson said:

What - after we bust the bank (5m than we could afford) signing an absolute shedload of quality? Great comparison, that. :rolleyes: 

Exactly. It's not about how we start, but how we finish. 

There will be some noses right out of joint if we do get off to a flyer but as you say it's far more important where we finish. 

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Escobar PHM

• Elmore

• Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

• Nookie Bear

Great point re 85. 

The season we we have come closest to winning the league in the ‘modern era’ - had a dodgy start and included a 6-2 loss to those ***** St Mirren.

Alex MacDonald would have been hounded out by the JKB clown crew in those days.

Escobar PHM
4 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

What - after we bust the bank (5m than we could afford) signing an absolute shedload of quality? Great comparison, that. :rolleyes: 

You stated that new build teams ALWAYS take time to settle. 05/06 proves that isn’t the case. The championship winning team was another example. 

Escobar PHM
4 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

There will be some noses right out of joint if we do get off to a flyer but as you say it's far more important where we finish. 

No. There won’t be. You’re silly.

i wish jj was my dad
6 hours ago, Escobar PHM said:

No. There won’t be. You’re silly.

I may well be but any doubts were dispelled when we had 'fans' wanting to lose the derby such is the bitterness. 

Escobar PHM
1 hour ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I may well be but any doubts were dispelled when we had 'fans' wanting to lose the derby such is the bitterness. 

Not fans plural. One misguided individual who’ll never be allowed to forget it. Still, it let those who wanted Hibs to win the cup off the hook. :huh:

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Escobar PHM said:

Not fans plural. One misguided individual who’ll never be allowed to forget it. Still, it let those who wanted Hibs to win the cup off the hook. :huh:

Nope, there were a number who voted

Escobar PHM
2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Nope, there were a number who voted

Wasn’t even aware there was a poll to be honest. I’m aware of one person who posted. Don’t remember a poll so I stand corrected if it was more than one

9 hours ago, Escobar PHM said:

You stated that new build teams ALWAYS take time to settle. 05/06 proves that isn’t the case. The championship winning team was another example. 

So the current regime under Levein’s watch has done something right....

Its good we have current experience of a complete player overhaul wouldn’t you say?

Escobar PHM
2 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

So the current regime under Levein’s watch has done something right....

Its good we have current experience of a complete player overhaul wouldn’t you say?

I am fully expecting this team to hit the ground running. Levein knows it has to happen and I believe it will

So do I.

Initially results and a number of weeks in better performances and results.

I do hope our fans can accept just winning games in the first instance and better football and performances building as the season progresses.

4 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

So do I.

I do hope our fans can accept just winning games in the first instance and better football and performances building as the season progresses.

We win away from home regularly nobody will care how it’s done.  I would settle for good football at home and counter attack/hoofball winning football away from home.

Nookie Bear
1 minute ago, Jammy T said:

So do I.

It's a sad part of modern football that winning games sometimes just isn't enough for some people. No, you must do it with "flair" and playing "expansive football".

Juts because we see Man City and Real Madrid doing it, doesn't mean Hearts can begin to play like that.

Escobar PHM
26 minutes ago, Juanjo15 said:

We win away from home regularly nobody will care how it’s done.  I would settle for good football at home and counter attack/hoofball winning football away from home.

I'm in this boat. I don't go away very often anymore so I don't really give one about the entertainment level. If we're grinding out 1-0 wins on the road most weeks and its eye bleeding stuff to watch then it doesn't bother me. I'd like us to turn up the gas a bit at Tynecastle though and have teams fearing the trip here again. Lesser teams shouldn't be swaggering in there with an idea that they're going to get anything other than a very tough game and get overrun if they're not careful. I know our results record was decent there, more than decent, but too many teams got a draw there who shouldn't have been given the time of day.

Edited by Escobar PHM

1 hour ago, Juanjo15 said:

So would any fan but there are 2 teams on the field and sometimes it makes it difficult if the opposition don't let you play.  They don't just come to Tynie to admire us.  Some teams that have played attacking football  (Celtic, Aberdeen, Hibs) lost!

Hopefully, this coming season, we have more power up front (Izpeaku, McLean) and more pace throughout the side to break down the more defensive teams.

18 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

So would any fan but there are 2 teams on the field and sometimes it makes it difficult if the opposition don't let you play.  They don't just come to Tynie to admire us.  Some teams that have played attacking football  (Celtic, Aberdeen, Hibs) lost!

Hopefully, this coming season, we have more power up front (Izpeaku, McLean) and more pace throughout the side to break down the more defensive teams.

Yes I do.  It’s not stopped our good teams of the past playing good winning football though.  

Heres hoping ?

1 hour ago, Escobar PHM said:

I'm in this boat. I don't go away very often anymore so I don't really give one about the entertainment level. If we're grinding out 1-0 wins on the road most weeks and its eye bleeding stuff to watch then it doesn't bother me. I'd like us to turn up the gas a bit at Tynecastle though and have teams fearing the trip here again. Lesser teams shouldn't be swaggering in there with an idea that they're going to get anything other than a very tough game and get overrun if they're not careful. I know our results record was decent there, more than decent, but too many teams got a draw there who shouldn't have been given the time of day.

Totally. 

15 minutes ago, Juanjo15 said:

Yes I do.  It’s not stopped our good teams of the past playing good winning football though.  

Heres hoping ?

Yes but we're not quite there yet.

We're building up gradually from admin caused in part by spending money on getting players we could not afford.  Also paying for a new stand and relaying the pitch.

2 hours ago, Escobar PHM said:

I hear that but part of the problem on the road last season was trying to grind out the results you're talking about....and we messed it up on more than one occasion.

If we are to greatly improve our League placing, we have to try and play on the front foot, home and away. Playing the way we did could leave us unstuck....and where we are now !

Buffalo Bill

I’m fairly confident most of these new guys will do well, although two or three will undoubtedly be squad players. I agree that there’s plenty of time for them to bond, train and play friendly matches before the real stuff starts. This is a Levein team and a full Levein season. 

For me, it’s about progress. There’s no issues this coming season with the stadium and pitch. We’re at our beloved Tynecastle and playing surface should be one of the best in the country. Levein’s team has to perform. 

But progress isn’t the end of our journey, it’s a step on the way. I except us to be better than last season but not as good as next. My guess is that we won’t quite be where we want to be in 2018/19 but I do think we’ll get there soon. 

Yet we can at least define what progress should be. There was an 18-point gap between us and the European places last term and we missed out on a trip to Hampden by one round. So closing the gap and making that next leap would be tangible progress. 

When we beat Celtic 4-0 last season, three things came together that day: the team, the fans and the stadium. The new-look Tynecastle looked magnificent, and reverberated the noise of the fans who in turn inspired the team whose performance lifted the fans. We need more of that in 2018/19. One day, that should become the norm. 

Edited by Buffalo Bill

Escobar PHM
25 minutes ago, Boab said:

I hear that but part of the problem on the road last season was trying to grind out the results you're talking about....and we messed it up on more than one occasion.

If we are to greatly improve our League placing, we have to try and play on the front foot, home and away. Playing the way we did could leave us unstuck....and where we are now !

Agreed. But there is a way of playing away from home which puts the opposition under more pressure than we do. Its long ball stuff sometimes and you mix it with pacey counter attacking when you can. We need to defend 10 yards further up the park. We invite teams on to us away from home, which is fine if you have the pace and width to counter attack but we didn't have that last season. We win possession too deep to be effective with it and we're easy to press in that position.so we need to step out a bit further. Hopefully the new signings provide some of what we need at least.

I don't expect us for a minute to go gung ho at teams away from home, but I do expect us to carry a bit more threat, and be more positive, even if its a bit more 'agricultural' than folk would ideally like.

Edited by Escobar PHM

On 6/21/2018 at 19:49, Bauld said:

10 players in with more on the way. It's an impressive window but it is also another season where we are having to start over again.

We perhaps have a better core in place to build from this season with players like Berra who will let the new boys know exactly what is expected but it is still a drastic overhaul.

We need to be realistic about giving this team time to forge an understanding and become a solid unit. Some of these lads might hit the ground running but most will require time to settle into a new club, culture, country etc. It's going to be a massive change for some and even if they have the ability it might take some a while to be able to show it.

Hopefully, we will get off to a stormer and I'm absolutely buzzing to see the new team in competitive action. However should we stumble a bit I think we need to remain patient and back the team to find it's feet.

I agree with the sentiment here as of course we must show patience.  It is a whole lotta ins and outs but I disagree with describing the window as "impressive".  There is absolutely nothing to justify that tag.  Quantity does not equal quality.  Over the years as your good self will know very well, we have seen many a big window.  I think you can tell what I am going to say next here........................we have also seen many a shite window.

Going  by the law of averages then there will certainly be a few quality additions out of this 10 but there are certainly going to be duds.  Anyone who thinks we are going to have 10 gold nuggets is either deluded or has no clue about how these things work.  All I can do is sit back and hope with every ounce of my being they gel and we are a huge force next season and the seasons that follow.

Edited by i8hibsh

12 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Agreed. But there is a way of playing away from home which puts the opposition under more pressure than we do. Its long ball stuff sometimes and you mix it with pacey counter attacking when you can. We need to defend 10 yards further up the park. We invite teams on to us away from home, which is fine if you have the pace and width to counter attack but we didn't have that last season. We win possession too deep to be effective with it and we're easy to press in that position.so we need to step out a bit further. Hopefully the new signings provide some of what we need at least.

I don't expect us for a minute to go gung ho at teams away from home, but I do expect us to carry a bit more threat, and be more positive, even if its a bit more 'agricultural' than folk would ideally like.

The post-split games depressed the life out of me. I have no reason to believe it will drastically change, which is even more depressing.

I hope i'm very wrong but if we don't have a go with nothing to play for, what chance is there when we do !!

Escobar PHM
31 minutes ago, Boab said:

The post-split games depressed the life out of me. I have no reason to believe it will drastically change, which is even more depressing.

I hope i'm very wrong but if we don't have a go with nothing to play for, what chance is there when we do !!

I'm hoping that Levein just thought we didn't have the personnel to play a more clever game away from home. I also think after the split we were out on our arses as far as fitness and health was concerned. We saved every ounce of what we had left for that derby game which was must win for a lot of folk, I think Levein certainly thought it was a must win. Hence the rigorous pre-season plans and  all these signings of what looks to me like a lot more pace and width. Plus the big felly as a traditional target man which we didn't have last season.

Edited by Escobar PHM

10 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

I'm hoping that Levein just thought we didn't have the personnel to play a more clever game away from home. I also think after the split we were out on our arses as far as fitness and health was concerned. We saved every ounce of what we had left for that derby game which was must win for a lot of folk, I think Levein certainly thought it was a must win. Hence the rigorous pre-season plans and  all these signings of what looks to me like a lot more pace and width. Plus the big felly as a traditional target man which we didn't have last season.

I think you are right.  He can only work with what he had and long-term injuries did him no favours either.  As you say next season we should have more pace, width and some power up front, even more so if we sign Vanecek.

The possible downside is that Celtic and Rangers could be recruiting well too and that would make 3rd a challenge, although one we could achieve or better, with the right mental approach.

Escobar PHM
21 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I think you are right.  He can only work with what he had and long-term injuries did him no favours either.  As you say next season we should have more pace, width and some power up front, even more so if we sign Vanecek.

The possible downside is that Celtic and Rangers could be recruiting well too and that would make 3rd a challenge, although one we could achieve or better, with the right mental approach.

Rangers are the great unknown at the moment. A basket case who don't seem to have any logical financial controls in place. If they keep recruiting like they are AND they can afford to live week to week then they will be ahead of us, certainly this season. Unless of course poster boy Gerrard turns out to be a clueless household name and not much more.

Aberdeen and Hibs will recruit differently to us I think. Aberdeen certainly will just be topping up what they have, although they are starting to show their age. Hibs might have a bit more to do if they are losing a couple of keys players from midfield but they wont be signing anywhere near the 12-13 or so we'll be bringing in. They'll be hoping to renew or convert the decent loans they had and add a couple to that.

I think we'll be in amongst Hibs and Aberdeen this season. I think that's where we should be ( 3rd or 4th) most seasons.However that's reliant on the signing policy delivering a 50% success rate at least.

Edited by Escobar PHM

Escobar PHM
44 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

It’s not off topic but a tangent linked to the discussion  - who have Rangers signed this summer?

Mcgregor, Arfield, Murphy ( loan converted) Katic, Ejaria (loan) Goldson, Flanagan and apparently very close to getting a striker from Roma whos name escapes me

Edited by Escobar PHM

45 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

It’s not off topic but a tangent linked to the discussion  - who have Rangers signed this summer?

3 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Mcgregor, Arfield, Murphy ( loan converted) Katic, Ejaria (loan) Goldson, Flanagan and apparently very close to getting a striker from Roma whos name escapes me

All very good signings. 

Escobar PHM
5 minutes ago, Juanjo15 said:

All very good signings. 

Yep. All except Ejaria has played at a higher level than they have come into.

Nookie Bear

To be honest, it's not the gelling of so many players that is a concern for me as i trust Levein to organise a group of players, it's the nagging feeling the majority of them are not up to the job.

There are no guarantees at our level when buying a player but every player coming in could be a star, or be a dud.

Fun times!