Patience and Time

Bauld

10 players in with more on the way. It's an impressive window but it is also another season where we are having to start over again.

We perhaps have a better core in place to build from this season with players like Berra who will let the new boys know exactly what is expected but it is still a drastic overhaul.

We need to be realistic about giving this team time to forge an understanding and become a solid unit. Some of these lads might hit the ground running but most will require time to settle into a new club, culture, country etc. It's going to be a massive change for some and even if they have the ability it might take some a while to be able to show it.

Hopefully, we will get off to a stormer and I'm absolutely buzzing to see the new team in competitive action. However should we stumble a bit I think we need to remain patient and back the team to find it's feet.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Escobar PHM

• Elmore

• Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

• Bauld

allystrachan

On the plus side they have a full pre season & competitive league cup games coming up before the leave starts. 

Just now, allystrachan said:

On the plus side they have a full pre season & competitive league cup games coming up before the leave starts. 

It will help but these things do take time.

A group of individuals don't win games. Teams do. 

A real football team builds it's success on consistency. Even an average footballer can play a vital role in a world class team because they have a solid mental understanding of how that team works. They know where each other will be, what way they will run, how fast they will get there, what pass they will play, every little fine detail of every other player they have around them will be carved into their minds. That doesn't happen in the space of a month. It takes much longer and it is vital to success.

i wish jj was my dad
9 minutes ago, Bauld said:

10 players in with more on the way. It's an impressive window but it is also another season where we are having to start over again.

We perhaps have a better core in place to build from this season with players like Berra who will let the new boys know exactly what is expected but it is still a drastic overhaul.

We need to be realistic about giving this team time to forge an understanding and become a solid unit. Some of these lads might hit the ground running but most will require time to settle into a new club, culture, country etc. It's going to be a massive change for some and even if they have the ability it might take some a while to be able to show it.

Hopefully, we will get off to a stormer and I'm absolutely buzzing to see the new team in competitive action. However should we stumble a bit I think we need to remain patient and back the team to find it's feet.

Get what you are saying but CL knows we have to hit the ground running.  We can't afford to take half a season.  His job is on the line and he knows it  

That said, I personally think we will surprise a lot of people next year.

jimmy the jambo

Good post,hopefully our 'friendlies' are taken a little more serious by the players and its play for your place for the starting 11.

2 minutes ago, Bootzilla said:

It's gonna take patience and time to do it right.

It's gonna take money.

A whole lot of spending money. 

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Ah here we go again. Lower than 4th Levein's job should be on the line. No buts no excuses.

fabienleclerq

In a perfect world Id agree with you, we don't live in one though.

The reality is we finished sixth, twenty points behind the filth and we have had three years of "patience and time" while we have brought in above Romanov volume of players. 

Levein needs a strong start, battering the diddies in the league cup is a must.

7 minutes ago, allystrachan said:

This is definitely key point. The fact we've brought 10 players in ready to start pre-season will give them the best possible chance to settle in and be ready for the start of the season. 

I don't know what I'm basing this on but I feel really optimistic about the new season and I fancy us to hit the ground running come the LC games.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Can only agree to an extent. No excuses this season. If we're languishing 5th, 6th or lower change should come sooner rather than later. 

I want Silverware and I want it now, also over 100 goals this season is an absolute must. 

Got to hit the ground running and no excuses. 

Bring back the days of cups and glory that we're all used to.

Bungalow Bill

I actually disagree about giving them time to settle. If we get the recruitment right then the players should be hitting the ground running. I don’t want to right off another season and then have to wait for the next one to come along. 

Nookie Bear

We really need to be around 3rd or better after the first round of games. 

Problem is that our squad is such a collection of gambles, unknowns and works in progress that we could as easily be 10th as 3rd. 

I think everyone would agree that our squad was too small last season and also that we lacked quality in key areas. Signing a number of players was a must. Sevco have signed 7 so far and nobody has batted an eyelid.

The difference this time is that we have done most, if not all, of our business before pre-season training begins, and our players will have plenty of time to work out an understanding before the season starts. The likes of Naismith, Milinkovic and Mitchell know the club already, so they will be able to slot right in if and when they are signed. And we didn’t qualify for Europe, so we don’t have to start playing competitive games ridiculously early.

By the light
36 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Not for me. We need to hit the ground running. Turnover of players has been ridiculous. I’m a Levein fan and behind him but if he starts wheeling out the new team chat after 10 games I’ll be pissed off. 

Previous ‘rebuilds’ have always felt somewhat false dawns. Seems different this time. My gut tells me so. This time I know it’s for real. This feeling that I feel. 

Gigolo-Aunt

Players not fit enough

Not his team

A load of away games/Murrayfield

Needs a transfer window

Needs the summer transfer window

May as well throw team needs time in to the mix as well - we have had pretty much everything else....

sairyinthat

lot's on here seem to think the club have been signing a lot of back up players.I feel they are seriously mistaken.

Bazzas right boot

Agree, but we need to burst the lc group stage and qualify comfortably, imo. 

Something we should be doing in all honesty. 

Some fans won't view it as a clean start and the usual crowd will be on the players backs after the first mistake and then CL's. 

We need a good start and for most players to hit the ground running or

2 minutes ago, Gigolo-Aunt said:

Players not fit enough

Not his team

Needs a transfer window

May as well throw team needs time in to the mix as well - we have had pretty much everything else....

All of which is true.

Now it is his team. It is on his shoulders and he must now get it right.

But there is no magic wand in football. Far better players than we could ever dream of affording have came to Scotland and failed because they couldn't handle it. 

Some of these players are going to fail. The reasons for that are so numerous that it cannot be avoided. There's no such thing as a signing guaranteed to succeed. We could sign Messi and Brown could brake his legs 2 games in and that would be that.

So I'm afraid there is no escaping it.

They are human.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but if we don't get Europe next season I suspect Ann will have his head on the chopping block. This is Levein's mess, he chose to keep Cartho on when he should have sacked him as soon as the final whistle on the final day of the season.

Time and patience? There's little left and rightly so.

Ministry MK2
26 minutes ago, Gigolo-Aunt said:

Players not fit enough

Not his team

Needs a transfer window

Exactly this. Still in June and already people are making excuses for another poor season. 

Like it or not, the team has to hit the ground running next season. If not, Levein needs to fall on his sword. 

If a winning team were to bring ten new players into their squad, those players would be afforded time to bed in. But in a stuttering side, we’re to expect them to hit the ground running? Absolutely illogical. 

Youre either willing to give a manager/team/players a clean slate, or you’re not. Just be brave enough to admit it either way. A clean slate...but without giving players a chance? How’s that work like??

SectionDJambo

The main hope for me, would be that the big overhaul of personnel will banish the away game fears that we have had for far too long now. 

This culture of negativity mustn’t be allowed to fester itself on the new team. This will be Craig Levein’s biggest challenge, in my opinion.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
Just now, Mr Sifter said:

If a winning team were to bring ten new players into their squad, those players would be afforded time to bed in. But in a stuttering side, we’re to expect them to hit the ground running? Absolutely illogical. 

Youre either willing to give a manager/team/players a clean slate, or you’re not. Just be brave enough to admit it either way. A clean slate...but without giving players a chance? How’s that work like??

The players should be given lots of time. The manager on the other hand...

1 minute ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

The players should be given lots of time. The manager on the other hand...

How do you do one without the other tho?

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

How do you do one without the other tho?

You come to the conclusion that the manager isn't getting the most out of the players and take a chance that somebody else can. 

You come to the conclusion that the manager isn't getting the most out of the players and take a chance that somebody else can. 

Fair enough, I broadly agree. Not sure that was the point those further up the thread were making tho??

Valid point if you're an EPL manager who's spent £100 million. 

Batshit bonkers if your in the SPHell with a very limited budget.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Fair enough, I broadly agree. Not sure that was the point those further up the thread were making tho??

You could be right. I'm not sure actually what we were being asked to have patience with come to think of it.

The Future's Maroon

This is now HIS squad, nae excuses.

Yes, he was involved in the recruitment before, before that argument starts, this time it's all on him so he needs to, and I think he will, get us much more competitive and a different animal to last seasons pish.

One thing we will be is an unknown to other teams, with such a bigger/better squad (imo) other teams will have more problems trying to work us out. That will go in our favour, I thought we were to predictable last season.

I'm always a glass half full type, it's getting three quarters full at the moment.

(note: that could change if we were to lose any key players).

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
1 minute ago, Oliver Twist said:

Valid point if you're an EPL manager who's spent £100 million. 

Batshit bonkers if your in the SPHell with a very limited budget.

It's a valid point for every manager at any level. 

Just now, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

You could be right. I'm not sure actually what we were being asked to have patience with come to think of it.

You’ll figure it out soon Eldar, just have some, eh...?

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

You’ll figure it out soon Eldar, just have some, eh...?

?

TheAntiHibee

3rd Place!

2 Finals!

1 trophy!

Beat Hibs! 

Make it happen Levein!!!

For those above who assume I'm making excuses for a poor season you couldn't be more wrong.

It is not about how you start but how you finish. 

Without doubt a strong start to a season puts you in a strong position to finish high up the table.

But in our position it might be a case of playing a bit of catch up before hitting full stride.

I am a blind optimist. I always believe hearts will win the title every season. Then yell "******" when it is clearly not going to be this year. 

This season is no different. I believe in the impossible. But I'm prepared to give the squad time to build a unity and winning mentality. 

The worst thing we can do is do this all again next summer. We need to stand by  the majority of these players and believe in them. 

Prince Obua

All for patience and time but we are the 3rd biggest club in Scotland and after the last couple of seasons it is so important we start well and have a strong season. If we start poorly and the standard of football is similar to last season then Levein and Budge will be under pressure from the fans. Results and signs of improvement in the style of play are needed from the off imo. 

Cruyff Turn

Apart from Zlamal and Haring they are all native English speakers, Scotsmen, Irishmen, Aussies and Englishmen, should be a good team spirit and loads of bants. 

I think Leveins done the right thing by getting loads in and then will probably clear the decks. No, point in fannying about, we've been below par, the squads been a shambles and hopefully it won't need much more done to it in future windows. 

Plenty of games and time to work on shape how we play etc...  So I can't see any problems in our first 10 league games, we should be flying by then.

I 'm quite excited to watch us develop tbh. The 2005/06 under Burley was put together in a few weeks, all played together vs Middlesbrough and then preceded to take the piss for the first 7 or 8 games.

Edited by Cruyff Turn

Tynecastlesmychurch
3 hours ago, Bauld said:

Good post. I agree completely! 

Sandy Clark
4 hours ago, Bauld said:

I think posting such nondescript pish will help you short term but ultimately you will end up where you belong.

I agree that it will take time and patience.  Ridiculous to think we'll be firing on all cylinders in the first half of the first friendly.

After that though......