Immigration

jake

Bridge of Djoum
On 6/21/2018 at 10:30, John Findlay said:

I know. I don't necessary agree with it. If people are as talented as stated then there is a large part of me that believes they should make the country that nurtured their talents to begin with better than it currently is.

Can’t agree there, John. I just spent a week back in Edinburgh and as beautiful as it is, and the investment being made is clear to see, there’s no way I’d move back there. Applying your talents is one thing, but many move away to further those skills or diversify. I’d never make quarter of what I earn in the US as I would in Scotland. Sometimes you can simply outgrow a place, and not just professionally. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shaun.lawson

• Boris

• jake

• JackLadd

Francis Albert
On ‎23‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 17:10, shaun.lawson said:

Have a read of this. Then tell me this isn't what's happening step by step, bit by bit - not least because the waves of migration are going to get greater and greater as climate change and natural disasters bite.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20170418-how-western-civilisation-could-collapse?ocid=ww.social.link.facebook

As far as Western liberal democracy goes, we've probably already seen the best of times. Its erosion is accelerating all the time.

I note you evade the question of whether you believe as you seemed to imply that  the world's population should be permitted to move freely to any other part of the world they choose. I did read the link. I could tell you step by step that IMO this is not what's happening  to the extent  the article actually describes that in any coherent way rather than paint a rather vague apocalyptic vision of the future based apparently on computer modelling! As for us having seen the best of Western democracy maybe so but if so any historic perspective would tell you the supposed best was very short lived .. not much more than half a century at most. The events cited as supposedly foretelling apocalypse (Brexit, Trump etc) are in the grand scheme of history utterly trivial and pale into insignificance compared the events of the first 50 years of the last century. 

But if I were the fascist racist right winger that some lazily suggest I am then this sort of prediction would simply reinforce my view that borders should be closed and walls erected as necessary. The solution presented seems to amount to hoping for a fundamental change in human nature. So much for historical perspective!

Edited by Francis Albert

7 hours ago, maroonlegions said:

Some people really need to take a step back and look at history, especially in America.

Image may contain: 1 person, text

Related image

Image may contain: 6 people

The real land owners. 

I think we are all aware of the genocide and theft of our ancestors.

Do you think we should shape policy to make amends for those crimes?

World population  will grow set against reduced resources

If we are happy to see US hegemony shape our future the immigration will continue .

Who can blame them.

We have a chance through democracy to shape that.

But it seems we believe that we start wars because they are somehow morale.

Immigration. 

Unplanned does as much harm to the immigrants as the usually hard pressed communities they settle in.

It does not affect those who are better off.

In fact one of the most racist comments I've heard is "we need them to do the low paid shit jobs"

Legions using the plight of the tribes of America is an argument against uncontrolled migration.