Ali Crawford

reaths17

Escobar PHM
1 minute ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Wouldn’t be against us signing him, giving he trials well which we’ll need to wait and see.

Cant be a 'trial' surely. We've seen a lot of this guy at close quarters for several years.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1874robbo

• maroonnicky63

• Debut 4

• Mikey1874

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ford donald
24 minutes ago, ShuckyDuckyQuackQauck said:

All I remember reading on fan forums last summer is Ali Crawford is the exactly the type of player we should be after and there wasn't much opposition to this thought.  I don't know what's happened in the last year. 

IMO our biggest problem last season was midfield- we had no options, we couldn't hold on to possession and struggled to make passes and getting the ball forward to create chances. 

And Ali Crawford would improve our first team from start of last season in which we didn't have a creative midfielder. And is a player that many many fans have been demanding for sereveral seasons now.  At the very least if we do choose to give him a contract he will be adding much needed depth in a position we have struggled with due to quality and often injures. 

Correct.

Can't imagine we'll be signing this guy now that we have signed Bozanic.

That makes Bozanic, Cowie, Callachan, Martin, Lee, Djoum, Edwards and the young guys like Cochrane etc.

Have to think that one or more of Cowie, Callachan and Martin may be leaving.

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, jambo19 said:

I'd rather play a youth or sign Jason Holt.

Crawford on about a tenth of holts wages. 

Crawford much better value out of the two. 

maroonnicky63

Would not want him anywhere near tyncastle , he hates Hearts with a vengeance because he was released when he was younger can't believe some hearts fans would want him after him spouting of how he was let down by the club. Easter road is his best bet

drumie jambo
6 minutes ago, maroonnicky63 said:

Would not want him anywhere near tyncastle , he hates Hearts with a vengeance because he was released when he was younger can't believe some hearts fans would want him after him spouting of how he was let down by the club. Easter road is his best bet

Probably angry young laddie when he was released. Would think he has grown up a bit now.

Would sign Crawford and Templeton now that the greedy french/Serb deal is off.

davemclaren

Always a player that annoyed me when he played against us so could be a useful signing.  Though given the signings we have made already we seem to be pretty full for midfield now. 

Find it a bit strange we need to have him on trial when we're handing out contracts to others so readily especially when Crawford has been playing in our league for long enough. Surely we know what he offers already.

Anyway, no for me. :P

1 hour ago, maroonnicky63 said:

Where did he spout off about us?

dont remember reading that or seeing it? Apologies if I missed it.

11 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

Where did he spout off about us?

dont remember reading that or seeing it? Apologies if I missed it.

Done it on a few occasions and not just soon after being released, plus I’ve heard it first hand

1 hour ago, maroonnicky63 said:

So some backhanded way of hating Hearts by attending training? 

2 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Done it on a few occasions and not just soon after being released, plus I’ve heard it first hand

Sorry mate but without seeing actual quotes I’m not going to slate the guy 

3 minutes ago, Ribble said:

People react. Probably gutted. What was he? 15? 

Do you hold people in stone to all their actions? Your own family? 

Edited by Mikey1874

The Internet

It is weird how for years this place had him down as pure brilliant and the answer to all our problems but now that he's actually being linked with us he's 'a shitehawk' and nowhere near good enough. Glad i never went all in on him when his stock was high. 

I've always said no because he seems inconsistent. But why not. He still has potential and some players are still learning how to make it and can improve their attitude, workrate etc especially with the right encouragement and the right teammates. 

2 hours ago, cosanostra said:

That makes Bozanic, Cowie, Callachan, Martin, Lee, Djoum, Edwards and the young guys like Cochrane etc.

Still a defensive midfielder to come so I'd def expect someone from that lot to be moving on.

Actually wonder if Levein is considering him as a potential wide option. Not as fast as some wingers but technically gifted and comfy using both feet, might be similar ilk to Cadden.

Cruyff Turn

More I think of Ali Crawford in a Hearts top, the more the idea absolutely disgusts me. Get him to **** Levein.

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

More I think of Ali Crawford in a Hearts top, the more the idea absolutely disgusts me. Get him to **** Levein.

You don't rate him then? :whistling:

Cruyff Turn
2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

You don't rate him then? :whistling:

It's not that I don't rate him, I just don't like him. I remember him just about breaking Jamie Walkers leg in a game at their shithole. 

Famous 1874
3 hours ago, cosanostra said:

I reckon all 3 will go but I still wouldn't sign Crawford, surely there are higher quality players out there.

17 minutes ago, Ali Lawrie said:

I reckon all 3 will go but I still wouldn't sign Crawford, surely there are higher quality players out there.

Cowie will definitely stay imo.

Big influence on the dressing room and only 1 year left.

With so many new players we will need some of the stronger characters like Berra, Cowie to help bring the dressing room together.

Famous 1874
10 minutes ago, Gulf Jambo said:

Cowie will definitely stay imo.

Big influence on the dressing room and only 1 year left.

With so many new players we will need some of the stronger characters like Berra, Cowie to help bring the dressing room together.

Yeah that's fair enough. He'll be quite far down the pecking order now I would have thought.

2 minutes ago, Ali Lawrie said:

Yeah that's fair enough. He'll be quite far down the pecking order now I would have thought.

Yeah I don't think he'll play too much but his presence will be great for the squad.

Think he will probably head to Ross County after this season for a last year or 2

Captain Canada

I can't see him playing much if he does sign. He's never really stood out for me at Hamilton and we have just signed another midfield option today. 

Escobar PHM
1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

I agree. I think the wording is wrong. 

He will be here to be beasted in pre season training and to see how he fits in and compares with the large squad of players, old and new. 

If he does well then he may well be offered a deal. 

If he does not do well, then he goes elsewhere.

There really is not a lot to lose in this instance.

It might also be that Levein, realising we’re not going to be over burdened with high quality, is going to try and make up for that through squad togetherness and building a siege mentality. That can easily fall down if you have one or two who don’t buy into it so maybe it’s a ‘trial’ in that sense.

Beasting them in training. Getting the trench mentality. Crawford perhaps with a historical chip on his shoulder about the club. Could all make perfect sense to have him along without commitment and see how he does for a couple of weeks.

Edited by Escobar PHM

Cruyff Turn
4 hours ago, Escobar PHM said:

Cant be a 'trial' surely. We've seen a lot of this guy at close quarters for several years.

Maybe just training with us to keep fit with he hope that other clubs will offer him a deal if they see he's training with us. 

Hoping that's the case. Reasonable enough SPFL player but isn't going to take us to the next level and he's a horrible wee shite. 

Escobar PHM
1 minute ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Maybe just training with us to keep fit with he hope that other clubs will offer him a deal if they see he's training with us. 

Hoping that's the case. Reasonable enough SPFL player but isn't going to take us to the next level and he's a horrible wee shite. 

To be honest we could do with a couple of horrible wee shites in the  team. Ian Black types. Stop us getting shat on in the middle of the park. He wouldn’t be a massively exciting signing on the face of it but who really is so far ? If he fits in, he’s got loads of experience at this level which hardly any of the other signings have.

Cruyff Turn
2 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

To be honest we could do with a couple of horrible wee shites in the  team. Ian Black types. Stop us getting shat on in the middle of the park. He wouldn’t be a massively exciting signing on the face of it but who really is so far ? If he fits in, he’s got loads of experience at this level which hardly any of the other signings have.

He's not really a player we need though. We've got a number of central midfielders who do a lot of running and can get forward. We've not really got any big physical types in there who will break up play and win 2nd balls. It would be a waste of a Jersey, numbers for the sake of it, rather than strengthening a potential weak area. 

1 hour ago, Cruyff Turn said:

It's not that I don't rate him, I just don't like him. I remember him just about breaking Jamie Walkers leg in a game at their shithole. 

If he does sign then I look forward to a similar piece of skill on fat arse McGinn.

Escobar PHM
2 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

He's not really a player we need though. We've got a number of central midfielders who do a lot of running and can get forward. We've not really got any big physical types in there who will break up play and win 2nd balls. It would be a waste of a Jersey, numbers for the sake of it, rather than strengthening a potential weak area. 

New signings apart, we have Callaghan and Cowie in Crawfords type of role. I’d prefer him to either of those.

Cruyff Turn
Just now, Escobar PHM said:

New signings apart, we have Callaghan and Cowie in Crawfords type of role. I’d prefer him to either of those.

I'd prefer anyone to either of those two tbh. I doubt Callachan will get many games as it is.

The Aussie boy, Burns, Edwards, O.Lee, Cochrane, Djoum and Cowie are more offensive midfielders than they are defensive ones, Crawford is more of the same really. 

Add Naismith into that mix and we're sorted for midfielders who can do that job and add an attacking threat. 

We definitely need a more defensive player now, another Adao. 

He's coming for training and I think training with a view to signing AFTER we clear the decks as we all know will need to happen after all the signings

We'll get a chance to see him at close quarters, he gets to train with a club but if we don't see some of the squad leave then I doubt he will be signed

He really has disliked us though since leaving and you can see that in his actions towards the fans after we lost a late goal in our first season back..finger gestures etc etc.

Football is not however about having a side full of players you like and if signed he'll be judged on performances

He's perhaps found there is not the same level of interest in him his agent old him there was in early summer

Geoff Kilpatrick
3 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

It is weird how for years this place had him down as pure brilliant and the answer to all our problems but now that he's actually being linked with us he's 'a shitehawk' and nowhere near good enough. Glad i never went all in on him when his stock was high. 

I wasn't on this bandwagon. Some people would claim you were "trolling" for not agreeing with them at the time!

:vrface:

Guy that was disappointed at leaving. Wanted to show us. Like Cummings.

Don't see anything wrong with that. If anything it's a compliment. 

i wish jj was my dad

He's got talent and offers something different so I don't see a downside to this. He does well and gets offered a deal, relatively low cost. He isn't up to scratch we don't. Simples.

Carl Fredrickson

Tin hat on but I remember when we signed Paul Harley there was a lot of angst amongst fans as he was an ex-Hibee who we singed from a "lesser" team. Hartley had a bit of niggle and dig about him that wound up opposing fans and players. He struggled early on and then settled and became cult hero for us. 

Perhaps Levein sees similar traits in Crawford....

Geoff Kilpatrick
2 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Tin hat on but I remember when we signed Paul Harley there was a lot of angst amongst fans as he was an ex-Hibee who we singed from a "lesser" team. Hartley had a bit of niggle and dig about him that wound up opposing fans and players. He struggled early on and then settled and became cult hero for us. 

Perhaps Levein sees similar traits in Crawford....

Sorry. Edwards used up the Hartley comparisons when he was signed!

3 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

I agree. I think the wording is wrong. 

He will be here to be beasted in pre season training and to see how he fits in and compares with the large squad of players, old and new. 

If he does well then he may well be offered a deal. 

If he does not do well, then he goes elsewhere.

So a TRIAL then!? :laugh:

i wish jj was my dad
10 hours ago, Escobar PHM said:

It might also be that Levein, realising we’re not going to be over burdened with high quality, is going to try and make up for that through squad togetherness and building a siege mentality. That can easily fall down if you have one or two who don’t buy into it so maybe it’s a ‘trial’ in that sense.

Beasting them in training. Getting the trench mentality. Crawford perhaps with a historical chip on his shoulder about the club. Could all make perfect sense to have him along without commitment and see how he does for a couple of weeks.

I think you could be right.  Hope we can play our part and get behind the players and the management. It would make a difference

The Internet
9 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I think you could be right.  Hope we can play our part and get behind the players and the management. It would make a difference

Let's not expect too much too soon. 

14 hours ago, 1874robbo said:

Sorry mate but without seeing actual quotes I’m not going to slate the guy 

“It was good to get one over them.

“They let me go as I was too small, hence my celebration when I got down on my knees and showed them how much it meant to me.

It was a great feeling, especially as it was the first time I’d played against them 

professionally since they let me leave the club.

“I was at Hearts from when I was nine until I was 15-years-old, so six years, and then I've been here ever since.

“I was at Hearts from when I was nine until I was 15-years-old, so six years, and then I've been here ever since.

“It was John Murray, who was the Head of Youth at that point,. Ultimately it was his decision, so unlucky to them, eh!

“It is, it was hard to take at the time. I had to go and rebuild my career after I left.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ali-crawford-comes-back-haunt-6352058

The article around the quotes is set up to belittle hearts. Reading the quotes now them in themselves isn't that bad. It wouldn't lead me to think he "hates us" anyway.

Plus I'm shocked John Murray is still in a job anyway. Regardless of Crawford's ability I think he's been shown to make a lot of dubious recommendations over the past few years.

Like you say, don’t see him slating us in any of those quotes just a player who was released trying to prove to them they made a mistake, pretty much what I’d expect from any youngster tbf.

23 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

Like you say, don’t see him slating us in any of those quotes just a player who was released trying to prove to them they made a mistake, pretty much what I’d expect from any youngster tbf.

Exactly. What do people expect. Some of the comments on here about him have been laughable.  We've had players here who have been released by other clubs and have relished going back and playing against them and proving a point by working it right up them. 

Selkirkhmfc1874
2 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Exactly. What do people expect. Some of the comments on here about him have been laughable.  We've had players here who have been released by other clubs and have relished going back and playing against them and proving a point by working it right up them. 

Robbo 

8 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Robbo being the classic example.

15 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

People react. Probably gutted. What was he? 15? 

Do you hold people in stone to all their actions? Your own family? 

15 when he was released yes but if you read what I said then when he made the comments it was not just after being released but much later, only person holding onto anything seemed to be Crawford, I couldn’t give a toss either way.

8 minutes ago, Ribble said:

15 when he was released yes but if you read what I said then when he made the comments it was not just after being released but much later, only person holding onto anything seemed to be Crawford, I couldn’t give a toss either way.

So what did he say then?

maroonnicky63
15 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

So some backhanded way of hating Hearts by attending training? 

sorry that has gone right over my head, what's your point. He turns out for training so that means he loves Hearts. OK THEN