Glasgow school of art

Nightwing

Rougly 4 (?) years on since it happened last time, the GSA is on fire again. Looks absolutely horrific

Surely something re building regs has to be looked at in the near future. Big public bulidings like this can no longer be kindling

Terrible news. The O2 ABC has been badly damaged, too. I have a gig there in November. :sob:

42 minutes ago, Rousset1 said:

Terrible news. The O2 ABC has been badly damaged, too. I have a gig there in November. :sob:

Corrosion of Conformity?

2 hours ago, Rousset1 said:

This. My favourite Weej venue. Prefer it to Barrowlands. 

Sad news such a fine building has been destroyed once again by fire 

a tragedy for the city of Glasgow to loose a very historic building thankfully no casualties and a special mention to the fire service and all the other emergency services

Such a sad day

Just now, Ministry MK2 said:

Don’t think anyone has been hurt.

Which is good, but brutal and tragic for the art school. It's an iconic building and such a shame so soon after the last one. 

I was at a meeting a week and a half ago and the GSoA librarian was telling us how they were close to finishing the refurb. A tragedy. 

Looks worse than the last one. 

Cause is a concern. Surely all the electrics were checked / renewed after the last one.

Edited by Mikey1874

16 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Looks worse than the last one. 

Cause is a concern. Surely all the electrics were checked / renewed after the last one.

Or at least get the sprinkler system commissioned early in the rebuild. 

5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

This.  Questions need to be asked how this was allowed to happen considering the last fire.

That's two blocks on Sauchiehall Street completely sealed off now. All shops/offices shut down and folk losing jobs :(

11 hours ago, Rousset1 said:

so do it

Judge Fudge

Shouldnt have happened once never mind twice. A building of so much importance is surely inspected by a fire officer at least every six months. They haven't had enough money to upgrade their system, and it's bit their arse. Gd to see the govt offering financial aid tho.

WorldChampions1902
On 16/06/2018 at 19:00, JackLadd said:

quite spooky it's burnt down twice. Jinxed. 

I have a family member who said at the time of the first fire that he thought it was arson. Why? Well he works in the building industry and prior to that first fire, had worked on a number of post-fire reconstructions in that same area.

Given the above and now this second fire at the Art College, my money is on arson. If that is the case, then the authorities need to revisit the previous fires in that immediate area.

Watch this space.

Edited by WorldChampions1902

1 hour ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

I have a family member who said at the time of the first fire that he thought it was arson. Why? Well he works in the building industry and prior to that first fire, had worked on a number of post-fire reconstructions in that same area.

Given the above and now this second fire at the Art College, my money is on arson. If that is the case, then the authorities need to revisit the previous fires in that immediate area.

Watch this space.

Thought the cause of the first fire was established as faulty projector ?

WorldChampions1902
Just now, felix said:

Thought the cause of the first fire was established as faulty projector ?

Case closed then (Please excuse my sarcasm).

My honest answer is that I don't know, although I accept your point that the original investigation came up with a plausible explanation.

Given your response to my previous comment, you accept those findings? In light of the 'coincidences' of this second Art College fire and my family members knowledge of other prior major fires in the same vicinity, I'm still leaning towards arson. If my family members suspicions are correct, then a number of people in authority have failed to do their job.

If we are discussing a fire if similar magnitude on this thread in that area in the near future, then questions really need to be asked.

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 13:33, Tazio said:

No sprinklers allowed  in this building - would damage the student's work !

28 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Case closed then (Please excuse my sarcasm).

My honest answer is that I don't know, although I accept your point that the original investigation came up with a plausible explanation.

Given your response to my previous comment, you accept those findings? In light of the 'coincidences' of this second Art College fire and my family members knowledge of other prior major fires in the same vicinity, I'm still leaning towards arson. If my family members suspicions are correct, then a number of people in authority have failed to do their job.

If we are discussing a fire if similar magnitude on this thread in that area in the near future, then questions really need to be asked.

Sarcasm excused :pleased:

Think the cause of the first fire's fairly well acknowledged.  If it's  arson this time, wouldn't be surprised.

Certainly does seem to be a bit of a fire 'hot spot' (pardon the pun!!) - wasn't so very long ago Vickies went up as well - only a couple of blocks away.

That entire block is currently being pulled down I believe - not a good time for Sauchiehall Street that's for sure :(

9 hours ago, felix said:

No sprinklers allowed  in this building - would damage the student's work !

As opposed to a big raging fire, aye? :lol: