Tram Derailment at EDI

Hampden Demolition

luckyBatistuta

Really hope everyone is ok. Hope it’s a fatal for the tram though, one less to clog up the city.

How the heck did this actually happen?

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Really hope everyone is ok. Hope it’s a fatal for the tram though, one less to clog up the city.

How the heck did this actually happen?

Someone suggested tram hit bus so someone went through a red light 

Tram guy on the radio this morning seemed pretty certain in terms of who he was pointing the finger at......

1 hour ago, Erik said:

Tram guy on the radio this morning seemed pretty certain in terms of who he was pointing the finger at......

Who?

Stuart Lyon

17:20 hours and and only 6 passengers on the vanity tram! 

Hope the bus drivers is OK.

Edited by Stuart Lyon

9 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

This.

Complete waste of money, and I haven't yet been on one as they are feckin useless unless you are going to work in the Gyle from the city centre or vice versa.

It is time all subsidies were cut and more resources put into buses.

Edited by frankblack

18 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Not a tram supporter (Theres no trams in East Lothian) however; it may have only been 6 going to/from the airport but perhaps 50 got off/will get on at the Gyle.

Never been on a bus when you doubled the number of passengers on it? 

I have seen 3 number 26's in Prestonpans all at the same time going in the same direction!

I have been on the tram a few times when we played at Murrayfield & thought it was a very decent service.

A bus from Prestonpans takes almost 1 hour and 15 minutes to get to St Andrews Square. The train takes 14 minutes.

Its 12 miles FFS!

You can shove yer buses up yer erchie for me!

Have no problems with the team tbh as I guess the network has to start somewhere. But the main purpose for me is to connect further out suburbs with the city to ease congestion on buses.

Buses in from Midlothian and even east Lothian at times are packed to the rafters during rush hour. Both areas are now well connected through rail travel however it's no competition with buses when it comes to fares.

Think Transport for Edinburgh missed a trick there.

Did the trams not make a profit last year.

Shame they couldn't keep to the original plan because the airport service is good and was desperately needed.

21 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Not a tram supporter (Theres no trams in East Lothian) however; it may have only been 6 going to/from the airport but perhaps 50 got off/will get on at the Gyle.

I have seen 3 number 26's in Prestonpans all at the same time going in the same direction!

I have been on the tram a few times when we played at Murrayfield & thought it was a very decent service.

A bus from Prestonpans takes almost 1 hour and 15 minutes to get to St Andrews Square. The train takes 14 minutes.

Its 12 miles FFS!

How long does a tram to Prestonpans take?  ::troll::

Sexton Hardcastle

Quite enjoyed any journeys on the tram. Better than the poverty bus. Just seems to be angry taxi drivers who don’t like the teams.

Harry Potter
39 minutes ago, frankblack said:

This.

Complete waste of money, and I haven't yet been on one as they are feckin useless unless you are going to work in the Gyle from the city centre or vice versa.

It is time all subsidies were cut and more resources put into buses.

Trams handy if i decide to have breakfast in the gyle prior to going on holiday to majorca flying 

from edinburgh, , nope, not happening.

1 hour ago, Stuart Lyon said:

And no passengers on the bus.

35 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

How long does a tram to Prestonpans take?  ::troll::

Would be brilliant if they ever make it out here. The trams used to go as far as Seton Sands in Port Seton once upon a time.

The 26 from Tranent stops 10 times in Prestonpans! TEN!!!

WTF? Thats why the bus takes an age to get anywhere. Far too many stops. Sometimes the bus barely makes it into 3rd gear before it stops again. Shite service.

Whats wrong with having just 3 or 4 stops maximum? Theres only 1 train station!

Edited by Pans Jambo

love getting the tram. Take it to the airport over the bus and it was great when we played at Murrayfield.  Was in the city centre before 5pm after leaving at FT.  

Adam Murray
39 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Would be brilliant if they ever make it out here. The trams used to go as far as Seton Sands in Port Seton once upon a time.

The 26 from Tranent stops 10 times in Prestonpans! TEN!!!

WTF? Thats why the bus takes an age to get anywhere. Far too many stops. Sometimes the bus barely makes it into 3rd gear before it stops again. Shite service.

Whats wrong with having just 3 or 4 stops maximum? Theres only 1 train station!

I'm pretty sure that the managing director of Lothian Buses has taken it up with all councils the buses run in, that there are too many stops, which is a contributing factor of congestion and late running buses, ultimately i'm pretty sure it's the councils that decide where and how many bus stops there are, and in a day in age where a lot of people are not willing to walk the length of themselves, I can't see that changing anytime soon.

Geoff the Mince
2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Its 12 miles FFS!

Aye but close on a billion for a tram that over 90% of the locals will never use 

is a disgrace . Any the tram enquiry is another waste of money ! 

18 minutes ago, Adam Murray said:

I'm pretty sure that the managing director of Lothian Buses has taken it up with all councils the buses run in, that there are too many stops, which is a contributing factor of congestion and late running buses, ultimately i'm pretty sure it's the councils that decide where and how many bus stops there are, and in a day in age where a lot of people are not willing to walk the length of themselves, I can't see that changing anytime soon.

& thats the problem. Lazy bassas want bus stops at their front door!

Just now, Geoff the Mince said:

Aye but close on a billion for a tram that over 90% of the locals will never use 

is a disgrace . Any the tram enquiry is another waste of money ! 

90%?

I dont believe you. I think its a great thing. Wish they were down in East Lothian.

What % dont use the bus?

What % use the car?

What% Walk?

What % cycle?

26 minutes ago, Adam Murray said:

Two stops within 100 yards of each other on a short street like Robertson Avenue is a good example of this. Ridiculous.

luckyBatistuta
5 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

90%?

I dont believe you. I think its a great thing. Wish they were down in East Lothian.

What % dont use the bus?

What % use the car?

What% Walk?

What % cycle?

I don’t know about during the day, but at night, there is no way that the numbers justify the expenditure. Every time one passes, I try and count how many passengers are on board, you’re lucky if there are more than a dozen every time.

You mention that the buses are a joke, because they stop too many times. At least they are stopping to actually drop off, or pick up passengers. The tram stops at every stop regardless of whether this is happening or not. That’s why it takes an age to get anywhere and that’s with it also getting priority, thus bringing the rest of the city centre to a standstill. The council are happy with this though, so they can hopefully one day get their congestion charge pushed through. 

Somebody mentioned that it made a profit last year. I have no idea whether this is true or not, but even if it is true, there is no chance that it will be anywhere close to paying off the ridiculous debt that this city has suffered implementing the thing.

luckyBatistuta
18 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Two stops within 100 yards of each other on a short street like Robertson Avenue is a good example of this. Ridiculous.

‘They could easily take out some stops across the city, but there would probably be an outcry from pensioners/groups.

Just now, luckyBatistuta said:

I don’t know about during the day, but at night, there is no way that the numbers justify the expenditure. Every time one passes, I try and count how many passengers are on board, you’re lucky if there are more than a dozen every time.

You mention that the buses are a joke, because they stop too many times. At least they are stopping to actually drop off, or pick up passengers. The tram stops at every stop regardless of whether this is happening or not. That’s why it takes an age to get anywhere and that’s with it also getting priority, thus bringing the rest of the city centre to a standstill. The council are happy with this though, so they can hopefully one day get their congestion charge pushed through. 

Somebody mentioned that it made a profit last year. I have no idea whether this is true or not, but even if it is true, there is no chance that it will be anywhere close to paying off the ridiculous debt that this city has suffered implementing the thing.

I'm getting the 14 minute train to Waverley in the next couple of weeks then getting the tram clean into the airport. I will wave at you on the way past :thumbsup:

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, Pans Jambo said:

I'm getting the 14 minute train to Waverley in the next couple of weeks then getting the tram clean into the airport. I will wave at you on the way past :thumbsup:

I’m nightshift, so make sure you travel during the times when the tram is actually running.

Just now, luckyBatistuta said:

I’m nightshift, so make sure you travel during the times when the tram is actually running.

Ach al take a taxi when I fly home. That should even things out LB...

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, Pans Jambo said:

Ach al take a taxi when I fly home. That should even things out LB...

I know you might not believe me when I say this bud. I was genuinely worried about the impact on the taxi trade when the tram was up and running, but I’ve not noticed any difference. I don’t have any problem with people using the tram, I just think that for the overall cost of it, I don’t think it was worth it. That money could have been far better used on other projects across the city.

The craziest thing I encounter… I get booked journeys with multiple people from their house to the tram stop in town, so they can go to the airport. They get off with their heavy cases and stand at the stop. If they had got me to take them direct to the airport, it would have been the same price, or even cheaper sometimes… and now the have to pay multiple tram fares to the airport. It’s mental behaviour.

Stuart Lyon

Bus use is in decline

quarterly-bus-statistics-january-to-marc

The rams don't make a profit despite what CeC say! Their P&L doesn't include the interest charged on the loans the Council had to take out to fund this vanity project. Neither does it include annual maintenance costs. They won't release any data under FOI as they say the information is commercially sensitive! How can that be as there aren't any competing trams? Oh and remember Lothian Buses were told to donate £20m to the trams!   https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/transport/lothian-buses-set-to-hand-council-20m-to-fund-tram-extension-1-4341250

That must affect the level and quality of the more universal buses.

2 hours ago, FWJ said:

And no passengers on the bus.

Tbf,  it was a shuttle bus that only runs between the car park and the terminal.

I used to think the trams were pointless and a complete waste of money.  I moved to the gyle about a year ago and now love them :lol:

Thank you for the vanity project Edinburgh.

luckyBatistuta
Just now, Longshanks said:

I used to think the trams were pointless and a complete waste of money.  I moved to the gyle about a year ago and now love them :lol:

Thank you for the vanity project Edinburgh.

Selfish barsteward ;)

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I know you might not believe me when I say this bud. I was genuinely worried about the impact on the taxi trade when the tram was up and running, but I’ve not noticed any difference. I don’t have any problem with people using the tram, I just think that for the overall cost of it, I don’t think it was worth it. That money could have been far better used on other projects across the city.

The craziest thing I encounter… I get booked journeys with multiple people from their house to the tram stop in town, so they can go to the airport. They get off with their heavy cases and stand at the stop. If they had got me to take them direct to the airport, it would have been the same price, or even cheaper sometimes… and now the have to pay multiple tram fares to the airport. It’s mental behaviour.

Appreciate theres a few numpties out there.

I know the trams project should be included in international studies as 'how not to get a tram project up & running' & the cost/disruption must have been horrendous but, they're here now and I am glad they are. I'm also pleased to hear that theres not been any real noticeable change for our cabbies. I know you may think I am piss taking here but I mean this: Where we would be without our cabbies! 

luckyBatistuta
21 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Appreciate theres a few numpties out there.

I know the trams project should be included in international studies as 'how not to get a tram project up & running' & the cost/disruption must have been horrendous but, they're here now and I am glad they are. I'm also pleased to hear that theres not been any real noticeable change for our cabbies. I know you may think I am piss taking here but I mean this: Where we would be without our cabbies! 

Dont think you’re taking the piss bud, everyone is entitled to their opinion :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Locky said:

Tbf,  it was a shuttle bus that only runs between the car park and the terminal.

Clearly not a busy time for the airport.

Bet it’s standing-room only after the Gyle.  Mind you, then people complain that the trams are too busy.

4 hours ago, Locky said:

EEN now reporting bus driver is fighting for life.

You wonder if he had a heart attack or something causing the collision. 

1 hour ago, FWJ said:

Clearly not a busy time for the airport.

Bet it’s standing-room only after the Gyle.  Mind you, then people complain that the trams are too busy.

Most people get off at Ingliston Park and Ride 

Seymour M Hersh
9 hours ago, benny said:

Did the trams not make a profit last year.

Shame they couldn't keep to the original plan because the airport service is good and was desperately needed.

How is it a good service? It doesn't go near where people live.

Adam Murray
2 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

How is it a good service? It doesn't go near where people live.

And now with the increased, faster than the tram, 100 service from Waverley Bridge, the 300 covering the old 35 route, and the 200 coming from Ocean Terminal, all to the airport, making the tram look even more a waste of money.

Seymour M Hersh
1 minute ago, Adam Murray said:

And now with the increased, faster than the tram, 100 service from Waverley Bridge, the 300 covering the old 35 route, and the 200 coming from Ocean Terminal, all to the airport, making the tram look even more a waste of money.

All very true. And how much has the cost of the Inquiry risen to already?

Stuart Lyon

Evening News now saying there were a record breaking 20 people on the tram at the time of the crash. Were 14 i=of them hiding who the first count was done?

Seymour M Hersh

Pathetic. They'll end up holding no-one to account just as they did with the Holyrood whitewash. The fact that we, the people of Edinburgh, are even allowing the idiot councillors to try and extend/complete (you choose) the line is incredible.

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Pathetic. They'll end up holding no-one to account just as they did with the Holyrood whitewash. The fact that we, the people of Edinburgh, are even allowing the idiot councillors to try and extend/complete (you choose) the line is incredible.

Perhaps you should vote in different councillors? ?