Tram Derailment at EDI

Hampden Demolition

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Perhaps you should vote in different councillors? ?

They're all as bad as each other. 

Shanks said no
5 hours ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Evening News now saying there were a record breaking 20 people on the tram at the time of the crash. Were 14 i=of them hiding who the first count was done?

Fare dodgers

3fingersreid

Seen the bus that was involved getting towed away earlier , by **** the tram did a lot of damage to it , thank god it was empty . Either the tram was going at a fair speed , unlikely, or buses are flimsier than they look . 

Hope the driver recovers . 

7 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Seen the bus that was involved getting towed away earlier , by **** the tram did a lot of damage to it , thank god it was empty . Either the tram was going at a fair speed , unlikely, or buses are flimsier than they look . 

Hope the driver recovers . 

It sounds like the driver is probably looking at his jotters if he recovers.  The comments in the newspaper articles appear to indicate the case is sewn up.

3fingersreid
2 hours ago, frankblack said:

It sounds like the driver is probably looking at his jotters if he recovers.  The comments in the newspaper articles appear to indicate the case is sewn up.

Kind of looks like it , might be better for him if he'd taken ill and lost control rather than trying to beat the tram 

I use the trams a lot, yet I think it's about 3 years since I last got an Edinburgh bus and that was a one off. Do get the occasional taxi mind, despite the high cost relative to most other places I visit frequently.

When I fly, I generally park in town and get the tram. I flew out the morning after the incident and had to drive as the trams weren't running to the airport. Also meant the long stay wasn't accessible, so I just horsed into the short stay as I was coming back the next day.

Arrived back the fiollowing lunchtime - £110 for less than 30 hours :o

My flights probably cost less :D

luckyBatistuta
12 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Great news.

So only another £900m or thereabouts  to go to break even.

:rofl::rofl:

What a farce.

Indeed, they must be turning over some funny numbers during the day, because it’s still only got a max of about a dozen folk on it at night.

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Indeed, they must be turning over some funny numbers during the day, because it’s still only got a max of about a dozen folk on it at night.

Creative accountancy.

3fingersreid
2 hours ago, Dunks said:

I use the trams a lot, yet I think it's about 3 years since I last got an Edinburgh bus and that was a one off. Do get the occasional taxi mind, despite the high cost relative to most other places I visit frequently.

When I fly, I generally park in town and get the tram. I flew out the morning after the incident and had to drive as the trams weren't running to the airport. Also meant the long stay wasn't accessible, so I just horsed into the short stay as I was coming back the next day.

Arrived back the fiollowing lunchtime - £110 for less than 30 hours :o

My flights probably cost less :D

EFBE577E-AF4D-4E3D-A804-59F8E62B96E1.jpeg

E0BC7F47-8C31-45CA-9E46-A16254A1DD2C.jpeg

luckyBatistuta
25 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

EFBE577E-AF4D-4E3D-A804-59F8E62B96E1.jpeg

E0BC7F47-8C31-45CA-9E46-A16254A1DD2C.jpeg

Going to upset a few on here with those figures :lol:

Lost count of how many folk on stag nights and hen nights, who cannot believe how cheap we are, yet everyone here moans about the prices...no wonder we Scots get that rep :lol:

Personal experience is that Glasgow is cheaper than Edinburgh, as long as you're not going to the airport.

Best value for me has consistently been Kirkwall though :D

Also, the talk of paying off the capital investment via the Tram 'profits' is complete nonsense. The whole point of a publicly funded capital project is to invest in something that otherwise wouldn't happen. The Trams themselves should be able to operate at a profit because the capital investment has been made.

I absolutely agree that they were way too expensive, the contract was poorly constructed and badly managed. But they're here now and no amount of moaning will bring back the capital investment. The real controversy now would be if they weren't at least breaking even.

Another example is the Queensferry Crossing. A £2bn capital investment (give or take) with ongoing maintenance. Yet it's free to cross it, so it will never make anything, never mind the capital investment. Or the Borders Railway - Scotrail aren't handing over profits to pay for the capital investment.

Welcome to public funding :thumbsup:

33 minutes ago, Dunks said:

Also, the talk of paying off the capital investment via the Tram 'profits' is complete nonsense. The whole point of a publicly funded capital project is to invest in something that otherwise wouldn't happen. The Trams themselves should be able to operate at a profit because the capital investment has been made.

I absolutely agree that they were way too expensive, the contract was poorly constructed and badly managed. But they're here now and no amount of moaning will bring back the capital investment. The real controversy now would be if they weren't at least breaking even.

Another example is the Queensferry Crossing. A £2bn capital investment (give or take) with ongoing maintenance. Yet it's free to cross it, so it will never make anything, never mind the capital investment. Or the Borders Railway - Scotrail aren't handing over profits to pay for the capital investment.

Spot on.

You could add the £750m (at least) for EGIP,  the £3Billion to dual half of the A9 and the £300m to modernise the Glasgow Subway.

3fingersreid
1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Lost count of how many folk on stag nights and hen nights, who cannot believe how cheap we are, yet everyone here moans about the prices...no wonder we Scots get that rep :lol:

That's why the tin hats firmly on ??. I get the same comments ??

Don't work too hard tonight , it might make my beer taste a bit funny knowing you're grafting whilst I'm drinking ?

1 hour ago, Dunks said:

Personal experience is that Glasgow is cheaper than Edinburgh, as long as you're not going to the airport.

Best value for me has consistently been Kirkwall though :D

Council and cab office set our prices not sure who does the weege tho.

My brother in law runs a cab company in Stornaway and they're dearer than Edinburgh 

Aye - Stornoway to airport isn't cheap and only takes 5 minutes :D

Think it's the councils that set all the standard tariffs :thumbsup:

9 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Don't work too hard tonight , it might make my beer taste a bit funny knowing you're grafting whilst I'm drinking ?

My brother in law runs a cab company in Stornaway and they're dearer than Edinburgh 

Who's your brother in law? I used to drive taxis at weekends a few years back so good chance I know him.

3fingersreid
Just now, superjack said:

Who's your brother in law? I used to drive taxis at weekends a few years back so good chance I know him.

Kenny McIver 

6 minutes ago, Dunks said:

Aye - Stornoway to airport isn't cheap and only takes 5 minutes :D

Think it's the councils that set all the standard tariffs :thumbsup:

Yeah, council set the rates here as well, although most taxis will offer a fixed rate when not too busy.

luckyBatistuta
13 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Haha, revenge is sweet, Sink one for me :thumb:

3fingersreid
1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Haha, revenge is sweet, Sink one for me :thumb:

Well if you insist ??

5 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Kenny McIver 

Any idea what taxi form he runs? The names Kenny and McIver are very common up here.

2 hours ago, Dunks said:

Go away sensible poster.

I love the trams btw.

Exceptional service.

3fingersreid
4 minutes ago, superjack said:

Any idea what taxi form he runs? The names Kenny and McIver are very common up here.

I did realise that when I posted ???

Off the top of my head I don't but I've sent him a text to find out ??

6 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

I did realise that when I posted ???

Off the top of my head I don't but I've sent him a text to find out ??

No worries. With a common name like that there's a good chance he'll be known by a nickname. When I first moved up here I found it strange that a lot of folk are still known by there primary school nickname.

luckyBatistuta
20 minutes ago, superjack said:

No worries. With a common name like that there's a good chance he'll be known by a nickname. When I first moved up here I found it strange that a lot of folk are still known by there primary school nickname.

Muff diver?

3 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Muff diver?

There is a taxi driver up here called muff as his last new is diver or divers. Drives for stornoway taxi company, can usually get a decent deal from him.

3fingersreid
54 minutes ago, superjack said:

Company is STS 

9 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Company is STS 

Ah yes, don't known him personally. I know most of his drivers though, norrie tomsch, val and muff diver who Gabriel mentioned. All good for a cheap deal.

3fingersreid
18 minutes ago, superjack said:

Ah yes, don't known him personally. I know most of his drivers though, norrie tomsch, val and muff diver who Gabriel mentioned. All good for a cheap deal.

We were up for a wedding couple of years back and I must admit I was surprised at the cost of a cab from the rank outside the Crown hotel where we stayed to the airport .

Great wedding in the Caberfeidh though 

5 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

We were up for a wedding couple of years back and I must admit I was surprised at the cost of a cab from the rank outside the Crown hotel where we stayed to the airport .

Great wedding in the Caberfeidh though 

I live another 7 miles past the airport so a late night cab can cost over 20 bucks. As said previously I know a lot of the taxi drivers. When I'm heading home I'll phone some e I know and find out of they have any runs heading that way soon. Most passengers are usually happy for someone else to share the ride and cost.

Seymour M Hersh
18 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Great news.

So only another £900m or thereabouts  to go to break even.

:rofl::rofl:

What a farce.

It's laughable that they refer to it as a "tram system" which implies multiple routes rather than a tram line which it is. One toy town railway route! 

Seymour M Hersh
17 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

And it gets even cheaper if you use private higher because they all seem to offer a 20% discount!

3fingersreid
16 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

And it gets even cheaper if you use private higher because they all seem to offer a 20% discount!

Seem to , being the key words 

noticed a private hire  had been in a bump in the green ways the other day whilst it was active , hope the passengers were okay as his insurance was invalid being where he shouldn't have been .

Seymour M Hersh
Just now, 3fingersreid said:

Seem to , being the key words 

noticed a private hire  had been in a bump in the green ways the other day whilst it was active , hope the passengers were okay as his insurance was invalid being where he shouldn't have been .

Noticed a black cab knocked down (person breaking their ankle) and drove off on Princes St the other day. Hit & run?

3fingersreid
52 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Noticed a black cab knocked down (person breaking their ankle) and drove off on Princes St the other day. Hit & run?

It might be , 

On a tangent I’ve got to give a statement to the police after watching a car driver knock a cyclist off his bike on Easter rd last week which I don’t mind doing , but it has to be at leith police station ffs