44 Bus Thread

Thumper

Again going back to the 60/70's, a single decker 46 used to go from Juniper Green to somewhere(Joppa?). Don't even know if it runs now (and if I had the energy I might look)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Silvery_Moon

• The Real Maroonblood

• Maroon Sailor

• Elmore

Does anyone mind the wee green buses I mind I used to get the C5 I don't remember where from or to it was pre primary school. I'm sure it went along leith. 

Maroon Sailor
21 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Does anyone mind the wee green buses I mind I used to get the C5 I don't remember where from or to it was pre primary school. I'm sure it went along leith. 

IMG_1535.JPG

been here before
29 minutes ago, Herbert said:

My abiding memorys of C5s is being on one with one of them new fangled Sony Walkmans wrapped round my ears hearing Star Trekkin' by The Firm for the first time. 

It was on Gorgie Road by the tool shop that sat on the corner of Westfield Road.

Here's Star Trekkin by the Firm...

Maroon Sailor
21 minutes ago, Herbert said:

That's the one. It makes me feel old seeing that. 

'D' reg was 1987

Silvery_Moon
2 hours ago, Herbert said:

Yeah there was also a C55 I think. 

The Real Maroonblood
3 hours ago, Herbert said:

They were awful.

been here before

Cant work out how to post this any other way... from the Wester Hailes Sentinel about why the C55s were withdrawn from the Calders

story-about-c5-bus.pdf

Aha here we go....

20180621_193656.thumb.jpg.a1666c18576e6cf44ed6f2f42860e992.jpg

Edited by been here before

Silvery_Moon
3 hours ago, Herbert said:

That's the one. It makes me feel old seeing that. 

They were weird buses though weren't they? Just so small although they were around for a few years so must have been working. 

Maroon Sailor
2 hours ago, Silvery_Moon said:

They were weird buses though weren't they? Just so small although they were around for a few years so must have been working. 

Pretty sure their garage was on Stevenson Road, opposite where Sainsbury's is now

2 hours ago, Silvery_Moon said:

Was this not an Eastern Scottish attempt to take business from LRT after bus deregulation by running minibuses on city routes? 

Back in the day it was Eastern Scottish #52 that went to Balerno. The 53 went into town via Colinton. 

LRT 44/45 terminated at Juniper Green and then the LRT 61 was introduced which went up to Currie via Riccarton campus and done a weird turning loop along Riccarton Avenue > Dolphin Road and then back down Riccarton Mains Drive.

45went to terminus at Joppa

Edited by Boozyuzi

The Real Maroonblood
7 hours ago, Lee_Mellon said:

Was this not an Eastern Scottish attempt to take business from LRT after bus deregulation by running minibuses on city routes? 

Yes it was and it backfired.

They also ran a 44 to Balerno but gave that up a few years ago.

Silvery_Moon
9 hours ago, Lee_Mellon said:

Exactly. It was also at that time that Lothian ventured out of Edinburgh with services such as the 26,85 and 86 (now all called 26) heading to East Lothian and the 81 (now 37) to Penicuik. Lothian even briefly ventured into Livingston but I think some agreement was reached between the bus companies and they stopped the West Lothian services. 

The Real Maroonblood
7 hours ago, Silvery_Moon said:

Exactly. It was also at that time that Lothian ventured out of Edinburgh with services such as the 26,85 and 86 (now all called 26) heading to East Lothian and the 81 (now 37) to Penicuik. Lothian even briefly ventured into Livingston but I think some agreement was reached between the bus companies and they stopped the West Lothian services. 

For a very short period Lothian buses had a No9 that went to Livingston along the Calder Road.

Silvery_Moon
1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

For a very short period Lothian buses had a No9 that went to Livingston along the Calder Road.

That rings a bell. Possibly went through Bathgate too? 

Silvery_Moon
1 hour ago, Elmore said:

Always thought the more refined commuter got the 41. A highly underrated bus route. 

A very posh route. :)

16 minutes ago, Silvery_Moon said:

Used to catch it from colinton village and enjoy the journey. Even rush hour felt like a breeze on that bus. It must be the poshest route in Edinburgh. 

30 minutes ago, Silvery_Moon said:

The Blackfords and the Grange :) 

Maroon Sailor
2 hours ago, Elmore said:

Always thought the more refined commuter got the 41. A highly underrated bus route. 

Used to go from Barnton to Greenbank

3 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Used to go from Barnton to Greenbank

Did it not also go along Blackford Avenue, touched the Grange, George the IV Bridge then down the Mound onto Hanover Street?

Maroon Sailor
12 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Did it not also go along Blackford Avenue, touched the Grange, George the IV Bridge then down the Mound onto Hanover Street?

Aye

Posh terminus areas and posh route !

Silvery_Moon
On 21/06/2018 at 13:10, Boof said:

Wow - comprehensive answer!!

I have a vague early 80s recollection of the 9 and did the 35 go near Sighthill?

Could be a fascinating history.

On 21/06/2018 at 14:14, Maroon Sailor said:

Old days 34/35 did the reverse route Sighthill to Lochend.

35 would go through Longstone to Lochend but back through Gorgie to Sighthill

34 would go through Gorgie to Lochend but back through Longstone to Sighthill

On 21/06/2018 at 13:27, Herbert said:

35 ran from the airport up Calder Road through gorgie I'm sure it went up lothian Road then up to Holyrood but I may be wrong. 

I believe a service 35 will be returning next month. 

Maroon Sailor
6 hours ago, Silvery_Moon said:

I believe a service 35 will be returning next month. 

That's good news

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

That's good news

There are quite a lot of changes on the 29th July.

On 21/06/2018 at 01:01, Silvery_Moon said:

They all used to. The 9 was linked to the 10 then all services became the 10. The 13 does exist in Edinburgh but isn't Lothian Buses (Edinburgh coach lines) at the moment. The 17 used to be similar to the 16. Can't remember when the 28 stopped. The 32 and 52 were circular services similar to the routes covered by the 18 and 21 these days. The 35 was renumbered to 300 last October. The 43 does exist but is a Green Lothian Country service to Queensferry. This is effectively still a Lothian service though. 

I was told the 32/52 - one was clockwise, one anti-clockwise - were popular routes with drivers because they went all round the outskirts so you only did a few circuits on a shift.

On 22/06/2018 at 08:52, Silvery_Moon said:

The 85 was the limited stop 31 and the 86 was the limited stop 26 but it didn’t go as far as Clerwood, only Clermiston.

I’m sure I remember an advertising jingle “You get there faster on an 86”

Maroon Sailor
15 minutes ago, FWJ said:

I was told the 32/52 - one was clockwise, one anti-clockwise - were popular routes with drivers because they went all round the outskirts so you only did a few circuits on a shift.

It was a popular route for passengers as well.

Used to be the 32 in both directions to start with but people were constantly getting on one going the opposite way they wanted to go. Long way for a short cut and all that.

Reminds me off an Officer of the Watch during OOW manoeuvres on the signal Turn Port 9 (ships turn together 90 degrees to port) giving the order to the helmsman Hard to Starboard

We went the scenic route !

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Silvery_Moon
37 minutes ago, FWJ said:

The 85 was the limited stop 31 and the 86 was the limited stop 26 but it didn’t go as far as Clerwood, only Clermiston.

I’m sure I remember an advertising jingle “You get there faster on an 86”

Actually I had forgotten about the 85 initially being a limited stop 31. Well reminded. It went to Turnhouse. However in the mid to late 80's it changed to be the same route as the 86 (with a slight difference on how it got to Tranent). 

This was recently on Twitter:

https://mobile.twitter.com/DrumBraeBusStop/status/1009681846886649856

Edited by Silvery_Moon

The Real Maroonblood
38 minutes ago, FWJ said:

That was a very good route and popular.

The No1/6 was also circular.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/06/2018 at 09:11, The Real Maroonblood said:

That was a very good route and popular.

The No1/6 was also circular.

I remember the 1 and 6. Im sure the one was the inner circle. The route was Clermiston - Gorgie - Hight Street - Easter Road - Clermiston. 

There was also a 21 which was not a circular route but ran from Stenhouse are through Gorgie. Not sure where it went after that.

Do you remember when the conductor had to get off the bus to have a time card stamped at some sort of machine. There was one at the Zoo and I seem to remember one at Ardmillan or Henderson Terrace.

The Real Maroonblood
6 hours ago, Rab Mac52 said:

I remember the 1 and 6. Im sure the one was the inner circle. The route was Clermiston - Gorgie - Hight Street - Easter Road - Clermiston. 

There was also a 21 which was not a circular route but ran from Stenhouse are through Gorgie. Not sure where it went after that.

Do you remember when the conductor had to get off the bus to have a time card stamped at some sort of machine. There was one at the Zoo and I seem to remember one at Ardmillan or Henderson Terrace.

I can’t remember the time card machine.

Silvery_Moon
12 hours ago, Rab Mac52 said:

Yes the 21 went through the town and ended up at Greendykes. 

The 30 now serves some of the route that the old 21 used to do. 

As well as the 1/6 there was also the circular 2/12 service which is pretty much all covered by the 2 and 12 we have now. 

• 2 weeks later...
The Real Maroonblood
4 hours ago, Elmore said:

On the number 1/6 route, which one was clockwise and which one was anticlockwise?  I can't remember. 

1 was clockwise.

5 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

1 was clockwise.

I needed to know that. It was the number 1 bus I was waiting for at the Tron when I saw the headline 'Hearts to Buy Hibs!'. Thanks!