So who's next then

wanderer

1 minute ago, Ali Lawrie said:

Fair enough. I feel if we could get those 4 boys in + a few others while removing the deadwood at the same time, with a full pre season under their belts and also a change of mentality and tactics away from home we could be right up there. 

Realistically are we likely to get those 4 back plus a few others on top of what we have signed given CL has advised us another 12 months of financial prudence lies ahead? 

I just feel it's been tremendously hard work even with those 4 plus McLaughlin, Berra and Lafferty. When you then add in Souttar, who we might hold out hopes of generating a big fee for idc, it begs the question as to why we have been so poor 

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rudi must stay

• Cruyff Turn

• Alex Kintner

• Juanjo15

Cruyff Turn
20 minutes ago, Spencer said:

I would sign Naismith permanently if possible. But I would be tempted to look forward rather than look back.  

I get it that some folks think those 4 are answer to all of our problems. Add those to arguably best keeper, centre half and a striker who scored almost 20 goals and it would have you think we must have finished near top end of the league.  

Reality was something very very different however 

As long as we are replacing players like Naimsith, Skinny, Mitchell etc... with like for like quality, preferably even better, then personally, I'm not bothered if its those players we re-sign. 

So far only Ollie Lee will improve us, midfield has been our weakness and he looks like a good player but one isn't going to make a great difference. The other signings have given us options and balance, such as Ikpeazu as a battering ram, Mulraney some pace,  Burns, some promising quality and balance on the left and Garuccio cover at left back but will they improve the XI and take us from 6th to top 4? No, not really. 

We haven't improved the starting XI at all apart from the addition of Lee. I think people need to realise that we needed an enormous turnover of players and better quality if we want to have a good season next season. We shouldn't be anywhere near finished in the transfer market, I hope we're not, because at the moment we are still very much a bottom 6/mid table side, albeit with a very good bench, better squad balance and some promising youngsters.

Edited by Cruyff Turn

13 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

As long as we are replacing players like Naimsith, Skinny, Mitchell etc... with like for like quality, preferably even better, then personally, I'm not bothered if its those players we re-sign. 

So far only Ollie Lee will improve us, midfield has been our weakness and he looks like a good player but one isn't going to make a great difference. The other signings have given us options and balance, such as Ikpeazu as a battering ram, Mulraney some pace,  Burns, some promising quality and balance on the left and Garuccio cover at left back but will they improve the XI and take us from 6th to top 4? No, not really. 

We haven't improved the starting XI at all apart from the addition of Lee. I think people need to realise that we needed an enormous turnover of players and better quality if we want to have a good season next season. We shouldn't be anywhere near finished in the transfer market, I hope we're not, because at the moment we are still very much a bottom 6/mid table side, albeit with a very good bench, better squad balance and some promising youngsters.

Couldn't agree more 

Alex Kintner
1 hour ago, The Apprentice said:

I’d take Chris Humphrey 5 years ago. He’s 30 and just been released by relegated Bury after a handful of games and spending the end of the season on loan at Barrow. 

He couldn’t even get a game for Hibs a couple of seasons ago!

Famous 1874
26 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Realistically are we likely to get those 4 back plus a few others on top of what we have signed given CL has advised us another 12 months of financial prudence lies ahead? 

I just feel it's been tremendously hard work even with those 4 plus McLaughlin, Berra and Lafferty. When you then add in Souttar, who we might hold out hopes of generating a big fee for idc, it begs the question as to why we have been so poor 

The chance we have of getting all 4 back are extremely slim

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

I agree. He didn't impress me latterly and is a red card candidate every time he plays.

No great loss if he doesn't sign.

He was a decent January window player but time is back on our side 

Alex Kintner
17 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

The sum of the parts doesn’t depend on the quality of each individual part. Too many fans see football like a game of Football Manager. “I’ll sign this player rated at £x and these two players rated at £y and they are rated higher than the players I already have so we’ll be a much better team.”

It’s not about that. It’s about balnace to a squad and finding a system of playing that works. Clarke came into Killie and transformed them. He didn’t do it by signing loads of players to replace those already playing. He found a system, tactics and formation that worked and instilled the confidence in the players to play it effectively.

Nobody knows which of these signings will be first choice in three months time. Mulraney may be a superstar. Lee may be a dud. McLean may hit a purple patch. The goalie may be a bombscare. You can’t guarantee that you’re signing a player that is “better” than what you have. You just have to try your best to get the sort of players who you think will fit the club and perform. 

1 minute ago, Ali Lawrie said:

The chance we have of getting all 4 back are extremely slim

Would imagine that will be the case. We are likely to have better options from the bench this coming season at least. Far too often last season we had no options to turn a game. Hence why we invariably did nothing when we went behind in a game. 

As others have stated above, there is no indication that our first 11 is going to be any stronger though. So far at least 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
23 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

McLean improves us off the bench. Surely a better 20 minutes than Henderson 

1 minute ago, Frank1874 said:

The sum of the parts doesn’t depend on the quality of each individual part. Too many fans see football like a game of Football Manager. “I’ll sign this player rated at £x and these two players rated at £y and they are rated higher than the players I already have so we’ll be a much better team.”

It’s not about that. It’s about balnace to a squad and finding a system of playing that works. Clarke came into Killie and transformed them. He didn’t do it by signing loads of players to replace those already playing. He found a system, tactics and formation that worked and instilled the confidence in the players to play it effectively.

Nobody knows which of these signings will be first choice in three months time. Mulraney may be a superstar. Lee may be a dud. McLean may hit a purple patch. The goalie may be a bombscare. You can’t guarantee that you’re signing a player that is “better” than what you have. You just have to try your best to get the sort of players who you think will fit the club and perform. 

I think some fans are right to be worried if we are going into next season with the same midfield with only one addition. One player isn't going to solve our midfield issues. 

BobbyJenkins
9 minutes ago, Elmore said:

I think some fans are right to be worried if we are going into next season with the same midfield with only one addition. One player isn't going to solve our midfield issues. 

They’d be right to be worried if the season had started and we’d signed no other midfielders. It’s a bit early for worrying.

Clearly these players do improve us, to what extent nobody knows. We now have some pace and left sided players for a start (opshuns!). As mentioned, Mclean is an improvement on Henderson at the moment. More to come I’m sure.

Edited by BobbyJenkins

Alex Kintner
12 minutes ago, Elmore said:

We’ve signed three midfielders and been heavily linked with a fourth and fifth.

1 minute ago, BobbyJenkins said:

They’d be right to be worried if the season had started and we’d signed no other midfielders. It’s a bit early for worrying.

Clearly these players do improve us, to what extent nobody knows. We now have some pace and left sided players for a start (opshuns!). As mentioned, Mclean is an improvement on Henderson at the moment. More to come I’m sure.

It is a bit early for worrying but I would be concerned if that was to be next seasons midfield. The one area of the team we really need an upgrade on. 

2 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

We’ve signed three midfielders and been heavily linked with a fourth and fifth.

Two are seen as players we're hoping to develop. We really need to add quality to that midfield so the pressure isn't on the ones we hope to bring on.  No quick improvement in midfield and fans will become restless. 

Cruyff Turn
27 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

Of course, I think it was Alf Ramsey who said, "good individuals don't necessarily make a good team", when asked by Jack Charlton why he was picked ahead of others,  but we still need quality players with good experience and at the moment, we're some way of having a strong XI. Realistically who would start at the moment - Zlamal, Berra, Souttar, M.Smith, Lee and Lafferty? Still another 5 quality first team players needed? 

You can sort of guarantee players will be better or worse than what we have or had. 

Zlamal won't be as good as McLaughlin, I think that's a pretty fair assumption, I don't think there's many out there at our level who are but he'll be better than Hamilton. 

Garuccio better than Mitchell, possibly, possibly a better defender and reasonable going forward so on balance he could be. 

Ollie Lee is better on the ball than Buaben, Cowie, Callachan and Martin, I'd be happy to bet my life on that, therefore an upgrade to our midfield, which lets be honest isn't difficult. 

Mulraney I believe from listening to Robbo has great ability but seems to like do what he wants, hence why he was benched in favour of Billy King. He might well come on to a game here, in time,  but I don't think he'll be a regular starter, certainly might add pace but an upgrade on Milinkovic? 

Steven MacLean is not as good as Steven Naismith or it would be Steven MacLean who has 40 odd caps for Scotland and not Steven Naismith. 

Ikpeazu may be a starter and will add to the team with his hold up play, strength and power but with Lafferty presumably first choice, are they a good foil for one another? I'd have thought that with Ikpeazu being the targetman that he would need someone running the channels or playing off him or making runs in behind. Lafferty and Ikpeazu seem a bit to 'like for like'. Of course, he might have been brought in as a replacement for Lafferty. 

Some players might come good in time and start games but generally the majority of our squad are young and inexperienced at this level, even Burns has never been tested at this level despite glowing reviews. 

So to be on the safe side, do you think we should go into this season without signing a better standard of player or go with these younger ones and still be good enough to achieve 4th (minimum)? 

Maybe two or three years down the line this current group might develop into a cracking side but at the moment there's no way we're a top 4 side. 

I don't believe we've even touched the sides in terms of signings and I'm hopeful he's been building the squad up and now is moving onto improving our first XI when contracts expire June 30th. 

26 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

McLean improves us off the bench. Surely a better 20 minutes than Henderson 

Most definitely, he's a cracking option to have on the bench. 

2 hours ago, Elmore said:

If/when Djoum is fit that'll be like 2 additions.  Burns may also fit in sooner than most think but yes, a bit more depth would not go wrong.

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

If/when Djoum is fit that'll be like 2 additions.  Burns may also fit in sooner than most think but yes, a bit more depth would not go wrong.

I really hope Djoum gets back to what he's capable of. With someone like Naismith next to him you never know. The last eighteen months makes it hard to pin your hopes on him.   It is early doors and no one should be panicking, but one really decent midfielder and I think most of us would relax.  I do think Levein is trying to vary our style of play next season.  Hard to beat but with a bit more pace and width.  Someone creative in midfield and we've cracked it.  

Rocky jamboa

Adao is the one I hope we keep the most as we need that type of player the most - someone to give us a bit of grit in the middle of the park. 

Hope we keep Milinkovic and naismith also. I would be surprised if Mitchell comes back as he is almost too good. Think he might go to a championship club instead next season but would of course be great if he came back. 

Famous 1874
3 hours ago, Spencer said:

Would imagine that will be the case. We are likely to have better options from the bench this coming season at least. Far too often last season we had no options to turn a game. Hence why we invariably did nothing when we went behind in a game. 

As others have stated above, there is no indication that our first 11 is going to be any stronger though. So far at least 

Yeah mate spot on. Really hoping we can get some higher calibre players, to be fair it’s only May. A lot can and will happen. 

Alex Kintner
2 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Of course, I think it was Alf Ramsey who said, "good individuals don't necessarily make a good team", when asked by Jack Charlton why he was picked ahead of others,  but we still need quality players with good experience and at the moment, we're some way of having a strong XI. Realistically who would start at the moment - Zlamal, Berra, Souttar, M.Smith, Lee and Lafferty? Still another 5 quality first team players needed? 

You can sort of guarantee players will be better or worse than what we have or had. 

Zlamal won't be as good as McLaughlin, I think that's a pretty fair assumption, I don't think there's many out there at our level who are but he'll be better than Hamilton. 

Garuccio better than Mitchell, possibly, possibly a better defender and reasonable going forward so on balance he could be. 

Ollie Lee is better on the ball than Buaben, Cowie, Callachan and Martin, I'd be happy to bet my life on that, therefore an upgrade to our midfield, which lets be honest isn't difficult. 

Mulraney I believe from listening to Robbo has great ability but seems to like do what he wants, hence why he was benched in favour of Billy King. He might well come on to a game here, in time,  but I don't think he'll be a regular starter, certainly might add pace but an upgrade on Milinkovic? 

Steven MacLean is not as good as Steven Naismith or it would be Steven MacLean who has 40 odd caps for Scotland and not Steven Naismith. 

Ikpeazu may be a starter and will add to the team with his hold up play, strength and power but with Lafferty presumably first choice, are they a good foil for one another? I'd have thought that with Ikpeazu being the targetman that he would need someone running the channels or playing off him or making runs in behind. Lafferty and Ikpeazu seem a bit to 'like for like'. Of course, he might have been brought in as a replacement for Lafferty. 

Some players might come good in time and start games but generally the majority of our squad are young and inexperienced at this level, even Burns has never been tested at this level despite glowing reviews. 

So to be on the safe side, do you think we should go into this season without signing a better standard of player or go with these younger ones and still be good enough to achieve 4th (minimum)? 

Maybe two or three years down the line this current group might develop into a cracking side but at the moment there's no way we're a top 4 side. 

I don't believe we've even touched the sides in terms of signings and I'm hopeful he's been building the squad up and now is moving onto improving our first XI when contracts expire June 30th. 

Most definitely, he's a cracking option to have on the bench. 

Think I’ll wait and see wait happens in June and July before soiling my breeks. :thumbsup:

can't remember ever seeing this much consternation and gum bumping before the transfer window is even open! we've signed a number of players to strengthen areas we need to, we are on record as trying to get the better of our loan signings back again, we know we are looking for another CB and the window isn't even open yet! it's incredible.

Edited by Gav M

4 minutes ago, Gav M said:

can't remember ever seeing this much consternation and gum bumping before the transfer window is even open! we've signed a number of players to strengthen areas we need to, we are on record as trying to get the better of our loan signings back again, we know we are looking for another CB and the window isn't even open yet! it's incredible.

I know. It is encouraging. Any Jambos panicking about the stature of our signings thus far need to remember that we are building a squad, not just a starting eleven, and also that we have loanees to secure on permanent deals or further loan deals in addition to future purchases/free transfers.

I am confident we will see Mitchell again but we won't know for sure for a little while as he is going with Man Utd on their pre-season tour. Naismith will almost certainly be back. Adao and Milinkovic.. we shall see. Assuming we get all four: we would have the best left wing back in the league, a very good winger,  arguably the best attacking midfielder in the league by transfer fees and stats in Naismith plus a good, solid midfielder in Adao who is no nonsense. I would be very pleased with that.

3 minutes ago, jambogjh said:

Who do we think will leave when the transfer window opens

Hopefully Martin, Callachan and Sammon!

The boy is a w***** but get John Terry in to replace Aaron Hughes,  even if just for the banter. Be shagging the physio within weeks.

Edited by Jenks

1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

I don't think MacLean will just be a bench warmer. I reckon he will start a fair few games. 

He won't start at Killie, Hamilton or Livi for obvious reasons.

Or St.Mirren

sairyinthat
5 hours ago, Spencer said:

Mantra you keep chanting.Do you Really believe that?If so it proves stupidity abounds.

portobellojambo1
7 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Cowies was on his last legs as a top level player before he even came to Hearts... now 3 years later.... , a great player in his day but he's Championship Level now. 

Liam Smiths a right back, square pegs in round holes hasn't worked well for us in the last couple of seasons. Will he still be here next season though? I thought St Mirren would be wanting to keep him permanently.

Cochrane will play a lot of games next season, maybe 10-15 starts but with the reserve league coming in and still being eligible at u17 level, I'd imagine the majority of our squad, ie. Godinho, Brandon, Aussie boy, Baur, Irving, Cochrane, Burns Moore, Henderson, McDonald, Morrison, Keena, Currie, etc... will play a lot of reserve and first team games or go out on loan.

I think this extra tier of football could be very good and productive for us, as it gives the younger players the chance to play against players outwith their own age groups without having to go directly from youth football into the hustle and bustle of the first team.

In terms of players being retained I'd like to see Naismith being tied up, and then played a lot closer to the striker(s) within the formation going forward. I also like Adao, every team needs someone in their team who can stick their foot in and break up opposition possession and/or stop them actually getting a lot of possession. It would also be good to see Mitchell coming back for another year, just to give both Garrucio and Burns the chance to build up their confidence in the reserve league. I've said elsewhere that I didn't really see Milinkovic as a must retain player. It may well be a case of the way we play, and if he is actually a natural winger and we do look to go forward much more and see him as an integral part of such a formation than I wouldn't be disappointed if we did retain him. It is an area we haven't had any options in recent times, i.e. wingers who can take the ball up to around the edge of the penalty or close to the bye line and then deliver accurate ammunition into the box, if not Milinkovic then I'd like to see us bring in at least one wide player who can do that. I hope we aren't building up Lee to be a better player than he actually is and think getting a more recognised player in midfield would be a bonus, and also help both him and Harry Cochrane.

Edited by portobellojambo1

BelgeJambo
7 hours ago, Bozi said:

Folk slating Adao for the Hibs game are ignoring the fact that he was clearly not even 90% fit, he had a great start to the game but blew out of steam really early on due to carrying an injury (on top of not being   anywhere near match for when he arrived) 

I, for one, hope he is a high priority to get in on a permanent deal 

Although his passing was wayward

he set the tone for getting up for it and the rest followed suit 

Cruyff Turn
7 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Mulling over a move here,Czech forward.

If true, the guys 6ft 3 and looks proper quality but we have Ikpeazu and Lafferty as the big fellies upfront. Is Lafferty offski? 

Captain Canada
1 hour ago, jambogjh said:

Who do we think will leave when the transfer window opens

Martin 

Callachan

L. Smith

Sammon

Zanatta 

1 hour ago, sairyinthat said:

Mantra you keep chanting.Do you Really believe that?If so it proves stupidity abounds.

Why do you deal with the post rather than the poster 

Just a bit of friendly advice pal 

Cruyff Turn
23 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I think this extra tier of football could be very good and productive for us, as it gives the younger players the chance to play against players outwith their own age groups without having to go directly from youth football into the hustle and bustle of the first team.

In terms of players being retained I'd like to see Naismith being tied up, and then played a lot closer to the striker(s) within the formation going forward. I also like Adao, every team needs someone in their team who can stick their foot in and break up opposition possession and/or stop them actually getting a lot of possession. It would also be good to see Mitchell coming back for another year, just to give both Garrucio and Burns the chance to build up their confidence in the reserve league. I've said elsewhere that I didn't really see Milinkovic as a must retain player. It may well be a case of the way we play, and if he is actually a natural winger and we do look to go forward much more and see him as an integral part of such a formation than I wouldn't be disappointed if we did retain him. It is an area we haven't had any options in recent times, i.e. wingers who can take the ball up to around the edge of the penalty or close to the bye line and then deliver accurate ammunition into the box, if not Milinkovic then I'd like to see us bring in at least one wide player who can do that. I hope we aren't building up Lee to be a better player than he actually is and think getting a more recognised player in midfield would be a bonus, and also help both him and Harry Cochrane.

Agree entirely, the Reserve league will definitely bridge the gap better for us and its something I believe we're looking to do well in from youth level upwards, winning the league at those levels. 

Yeah, we need Milinkovic or someone who has that similar off the cuff ability to make the difference. People forget he only played 25 games or something last season and about 10 of them were off the bench and he was in the team for 2 or 3 games then out again, not really giving him enough games to actually come into himself and his true form but still managed to deliver. If we could get him in for pre-season, get him flying and with better players around him, he'll tear full backs up for arsepaper. 

portobellojambo1
7 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

If true, the guys 6ft 3 and looks proper quality but we have Ikpeazu and Lafferty as the big fellies upfront. Is Lafferty offski? 

I don't think Levein will be looking for a further striker, I think we're covered in that position now, and I'm one who has no doubt Kyle Lafferty will still be here next season. Given the lack of good service provided to his area in the season just completed I would love to see how many goals he can bag with decent service provided (not just to him but anyone else asked to play up front alongside him).

Edited by portobellojambo1

James1874f
6 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Decent post.

our away form has to change can see us 5th or 6th with squad as it is. With burns and garuccio in I doubt Mitchell will be back next season 

James1874f
5 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I don't think Levein will be looknig for a further striker, I think we've covered that position now, and I'm noe who has no doubt Kyle Lafferty will still be here next season. Given the lack of good service provided to his area in the season just completed I would love to see how many goals he can bag wit decent service provided (not just to him but anyone else asked to play up front alongside him).

I agree would like Lafferty to sign an extension also 

I never rated him at Oldco wasn’t that fussed when he signed but he is a massive player for us. His goals don’t lie 

Cruyff Turn
5 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I don't think Levein will be looking for a further striker, I think we're covered in that position now, and I'm one who has no doubt Kyle Lafferty will still be here next season. Given the lack of good service provided to his area in the season just completed I would love to see how many goals he can bag with decent service provided (not just to him but anyone else asked to play up front alongside him).

That's what I would have thought as well, maybe add Naismith as an Attacking midfielder / Second Striker and that would be us sorted. Never know though, if the money is right. ..

1 minute ago, James1874f said:

Decent post.

our away form has to change can see us 5th or 6th with squad as it is. With burns and garuccio in I doubt Mitchell will be back next season 

Don't think Burns is a left back bud, think he's more of a midfielder or forward player although I've seen quotes saying he can play there so who knows. 

portobellojambo1
Just now, James1874f said:

I agree would like Lafferty to sign an extension also 

I never rated him at Oldco wasn’t that fussed when he signed but he is a massive player for us. His goals don’t lie 

I think the truth is that not just us but many fans of other clubs all laughed at Lafferty and couldn't understand why Sevco signed him. I think the teams he has played with since then, and the manner in which Northern Ireland have being playing recently has benefited him a lot and we now have someone who can get goals and is also willing to work backwards when the ball is lost.

Alex Kintner
27 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Mulling over a move here,Czech forward.

29 appearances in the past four seasons

James1874f
2 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

That's what I would have thought as well, maybe add Naismith as an Attacking midfielder / Second Striker and that would be us sorted. Never know though, if the money is right. ..

Don't think Burns is a left back bud, think he's more of a midfielder or forward player although I've seen quotes saying he can play there so who knows. 

Just checked him out a bit and your right he can be used in midfield or further up The pitch I assumed he was just a LB going by the that he will be our new RB :laugh:

James1874f
6 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I think the truth is that not just us but many fans of other clubs all laughed at Lafferty and couldn't understand why Sevco signed him. I think the teams he has played with since then, and the manner in which Northern Ireland have being playing recently has benefited him a lot and we now have someone who can get goals and is also willing to work backwards when the ball is lost.

Definitely he’s been a fantastic signing for HMFC god knows where we would have been without him coupled with his personal problems he’s done very well 

portobellojambo1
10 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Where you seeing that?

12 goals and 2 assists in 31 games last season in Czech top flight. 

https://www.transfermarkt.com/david-vanecek/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/141229

I believe there are two cousins, just from what I was reading online, both with the exact same name and both footballers who also played for the same club at one point. I'm not sure but possibly some of the articles available online aren't always referring to the same cousin.

41 minutes ago, StanLaurel said:

Martin 

Callachan

L. Smith

Sammon

Zanatta 

i don't suppose we'd miss any of them but I would like to see Zanatta get a chance this season. I think Sammon and Callaghan will leave by the start of the season and Liam Smith could too. Martin is a more intractable problem.

4 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I would like to see us sign Ryan Edwards, as has previously been suggested, if he is still a free agent after Jags relegation. We know him, he knows the league, very good all round midfielder, low risk signing. Along with a combination from Cochrane, Burns, Lee, Djoum to come back and hopefully Adao and/or Milinkovic we should be much more forward/attack minded from the middle of the park.