2018 Summer Tennis

I P Knightley

Guess The Crowd
12 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Muguruza in a bit of trouble here. 

She is indeed. Her Belgian opponent is a good player. 

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rudi must stay

• I P Knightley

• Victorian

• neilnunb

rudi must stay

Gives you hope for the men's game this match. Very high level of tennis, it's as if you can put the ball anywhere and both could still get it back

The Internet
4 minutes ago, Guess The Crowd said:

She is indeed. Her Belgian opponent is a good player. 

Yeah she's been excellent, really powerful. 

Garbine :(

I think this is what's pissing me off more and more about Konta. Yet again, the women's draw has totally opened up and she limps out albeit she was facing a tricky opponent.

Could be another all Williams final.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
47 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

I think this is what's pissing me off more and more about Konta. Yet again, the women's draw has totally opened up and she limps out albeit she was facing a tricky opponent.

Could be another all Williams final.

Who’s she blaming this defeat on?

rudi must stay

Fascinating match. Monfils Querrey, would back Monfils to win just due to his talent. Querrey is a big server but you often find guys like Monfils like playing big servers, as they have that but not much else

Venus now knocked out. Only 2 of the top 10 seeds left. Even more frustrating that Konta shites it so often.

JudyJudyJudy

Konta had her brief time in the top ten. completely over rated I knew that the other player would hammer her..shes a good player..cant spell her name though lol 

JudyJudyJudy
On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 21:31, AlimOzturk said:

Serena and Venus are successful because they are physically stronger and serve like men. They have a certain amount of talent but their physical attributes are what have carried them and still do. Serena could probably dominante into her 40s due to her serve. 

It is actually fairer to compare Serena and Venus and it is clear who the winner is there. 

" a certain amount of talent " ????  what a joke comment and plenty players before her had a lethal serve...Martina Navratalova and Seles to name a few 

JudyJudyJudy

furthermore most of the greats had a good serve as one of their armoury.  Serena can do baseline or serve and volley all court play. shes that good 

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

furthermore most of the greats had a good serve as one of their armoury.  Serena can do baseline or serve and volley all court play. shes that good 

A couple of blokes playing against women. 

AlimOzturk
17 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

" a certain amount of talent " ????  what a joke comment and plenty players before her had a lethal serve...Martina Navratalova and Seles to name a few 

A decent amateur player would beat Serena Williams and Venus Williams. When Serena said she could compete in the men's game an amateur player took her up on her challenge, turned up hungover and trounced her. At the peak of her game as well.

Its all to do with how hard they hit the ball. Both serena and Venus have a similar type of advantage to the rest of the women in tennis. Not their problem but it gives them a far bigger advantage over the rest of the field. 

Talent plays a bigger role in the men's game. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

rudi must stay

I'm not sure Novak isn't playing the injured card he often plays and I can't stand. But Edmund isn't having any of it, playing a solid match. I really don't expect him to win today

rudi must stay

For me Novak's attitude is down to a lack of respect for his opponent. Did him well on his winning run, but now, when he isn't the player he was due to his injuries it doesn't help him at all, infact it motivates the man on the other side.

:cornette:

Edmund wins point despite:

1.  Ball bouncing twice.

2.  Not being in contact with racket.

3.  Touching net.

4.  Ball going long.

I P Knightley
8 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

A decent amateur player would beat Serena Williams and Venus Williams. When Serena said she could compete in the men's game an amateur player took her up on her challenge, turned up hungover and trounced her. At the peak of her game as well.

Its all to do with how hard they hit the ball. Both serena and Venus have a similar type of advantage to the rest of the women in tennis. Not their problem but it gives them a far bigger advantage over the rest of the field. 

Talent plays a bigger role in the men's game. 

Not quite amateur; he was ranked 203 and had played a round of golf in the morning. Sipped on a bottle of beer at changeovers, though. Beat Serena 6-1 and then Venus, 6-2. 20 years ago, when the Williamses were teenagers.

I P Knightley
29 minutes ago, AWM said:

Nishikori 2 sets up on Kyrgios

Kyrgios looked like he tanked the first set. I didn't watch the rest.

1 minute ago, I P Knightley said:

Kyrgios looked like he tanked the first set. I didn't watch the rest.

A 3 nil tanking for the over-rated twat:pleasing:

Rancid cheating my Dominika Cibulkova.    The umpire had a horrendous brainfart by awarding her a point after her opponent clearly returned a shot in after Cibulkova correctly overturned her shot called out.     The only decision possible was to replay the point and Cibulkova had no case whatsoever for the point.     After refusing to confirm her opponent got the next ball back in court,    she continued to demand the point after the umpire eventually ruled to replay the point.

A cheat.

rudi must stay

Mannarino accepting the role as fodder today as many have. As they say not a good match up, Mannarino plays nice tennis but Federer is nice but also of course a very effective tennis player

rudi must stay
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Federer can make very good players look like bad players.     Sheer intimidation.

He's sensed weakness IMO and is in for the kill today. Seen it many times 

AlimOzturk

Federar could play into his 40s and still be challenging at the top. Hasn't even broke sweat today. 

5 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Federar could play into his 40s and still be challenging at the top. Hasn't even broke sweat today. 

Quite possibly to win majors into his 40s.      

He came to the top before Nadal,  Djokovic and Murray.     Right now it looks very possible for him to win the last major won by this quartet.

Edited by Victorian

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

Rancid cheating my Dominika Cibulkova.    The umpire had a horrendous brainfart by awarding her a point after her opponent clearly returned a shot in after Cibulkova correctly overturned her shot called out.     The only decision possible was to replay the point and Cibulkova had no case whatsoever for the point.     After refusing to confirm her opponent got the next ball back in court,    she continued to demand the point after the umpire eventually ruled to replay the point.

A cheat.

Not sure I follow that commentary - hope they've got a clip of it on the BBC website. 

Kerber, at 11, is the highest seed remaining in the Bursds championship. 

If Raonic and Isner win their respective matches, the two of them will meet in the quarter-finals. Sounds dreadful. Interesting that the schedulers have kept both players away from the show courts. Today, Isner's on 3 and Raonic is on 12. Weirdest decision was to put Jamie Murray and Bruno Soares against the Skupskis on court 14, which only has about three rows of seats down each side. 

2 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Not sure I follow that commentary - hope they've got a clip of it on the BBC website. 

Kerber, at 11, is the highest seed remaining in the Bursds championship. 

If Raonic and Isner win their respective matches, the two of them will meet in the quarter-finals. Sounds dreadful. Interesting that the schedulers have kept both players away from the show courts. Today, Isner's on 3 and Raonic is on 12. Weirdest decision was to put Jamie Murray and Bruno Soares against the Skupskis on court 14, which only has about three rows of seats down each side. 

Cibulkova shot on line - called out - opponent shot back over net and landed mid court.  Cibulkova challenged and corrected out call.    Umpire awarded her the point.    Mental.     But Cibulkova wouldn't admit it was a huge error and wanted the point for no good reason. 

I P Knightley
3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Cibulkova shot on line - called out - opponent shot back over net and landed mid court.  Cibulkova challenged and corrected out call.    Umpire awarded her the point.    Mental.     But Cibulkova wouldn't admit it was a huge error and wanted the point for no good reason. 

Cow.

(I'll just go and check pictures before ruling myself out from her affections for life).

Just now, I P Knightley said:

Cow.

(I'll just go and check pictures before ruling myself out from her affections for life).

Yeah she's a bit hot.    

I P Knightley
21 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Yeah she's a bit hot.    

In which case, she'll be forgiven as long as she gives her uncle IP a suitable apology. 

rudi must stay
3 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Cow.

"Call her a fat cow and hang up"

Good end to the first set between Kasatkina and Kerber. It looked at first as if Kasatkina was going to roll over, but she discovered a bit of fight halfway through and Kerber had to raise her game to match her.

The end to the Kerber-Kasatkina match was incredible.     Some fighting spirit by Kasatkina to hang on.    Kerber only just.

lauriesrank
56 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Not watching this graceless personality vacuum.   

I'm watching gorgeous giorgi, she's my fave!!  (her mother designs her outfits too!)

Related image

Giorgi definitely a pretty one, but plenty of power in that delicate-looking frame. I suppose Serena might be trying to psyche herself up, rather than getting at her opponent, but I've never quite liked her shouting 'come on!' when she wins a point or game from an unforced error.

Midloth_Iain
13 minutes ago, lauriesrank said:

Probably better photos out there of course :)

Oh, there definitely is  :robbo:

I P Knightley
14 minutes ago, lauriesrank said:

I'm watching gorgeous giorgi, she's my fave!!  (her mother designs her outfits too!)

Related image

Is her mam disappointed that she became a professional tennis player rather than a prostitute?

lauriesrank
5 minutes ago, Kid Creole said:

She has an instachatgram thing... I might go get one :)

lauriesrank
23 minutes ago, Kid Creole said:

She has an instachatgram thing... I might go get one :)