2018 Summer Tennis

I P Knightley

rudi must stay
11 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

His serving seems almost effortless; his timing must be spot on and, of course, he's very elastic. Cracking backhand to win the tie-break.

p.s. Kyrgios is probably the last player who I'd choose to try a drop shot against. 

Its just like it was when he played Nadal all those years ago. And it makes him really dangerous, on average it seems like 5 seconds between serves which as a returner is very annoying 

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rudi must stay

• I P Knightley

• Victorian

• neilnunb

rudi must stay
25 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

His serving seems almost effortless; his timing must be spot on and, of course, he's very elastic. Cracking backhand to win the tie-break.

p.s. Kyrgios is probably the last player who I'd choose to try a drop shot against. 

Just keep it in would be the tactics. Krygios makes bad choices, including his through the legs shot. Never a winner, infact at their level it's probably a gift

I P Knightley
18 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Just keep it in would be the tactics. Krygios makes bad choices, including his through the legs shot. Never a winner, infact at their level it's probably a gift

He's winning a ridiculous proportion of points on his own serve. His mind wanders from time to time so you get the occasional daft point. However, he seems to be more focused than usual so snaps to it when needed. Two killer serves to close to 6-6. Can't see him giving up many points in the TB; it's all down to Edmund keeping the heid here. 

edit: and there's the Knightley curse, right there. Edmund splats the ball away to win the first Kyrgios point. And then the second!! :D What a knob I am!

Edited by I P Knightley

rudi must stay
Just now, I P Knightley said:

He's winning a ridiculous proportion of points on his own serve. His mind wanders from time to time so you get the occasional daft point. However, he seems to be more focused than usual so snaps to it when needed. Two killer serves to close to 6-6. Can't see him giving up many points in the TB; it's all down to Edmund keeping the heid here. 

I totally agree. Great he won the tiebreak but Edmund must develop a bit more of a killer instinct in my opinion. When your ahead you can't let the top top players back in it

rudi must stay

Krygios marches on. Even if he doesn't won it (I don't think he will) that's a solid run for him. Something he doesn't tend to do in tournaments

rudi must stay

Very solid from Djokovic. Still a breakdown though, I think that's due to the very high standards he sets himself

There isnt a sportsman in the world Id rather drop kick into the middle of next week than Kyrgios. Makes his 'pal' Tomic seem like a decent bloke.  

Wish him nothing but bad luck and hopefully he gets ****ing smashed at Wimbledon. 

JudyJudyJudy
41 minutes ago, Barack said:

What seeding do we think Serena will be shoe-horned in at for Wimbledon?  Given that the All-England Club have already pretty much given their answer.

"The seeding order follows the WTA ranking list, except where in the opinion of the committee a change is necessary to produce a balanced draw," the All England Club said last month."

I'll go top 15.

Archaic joke of an organisation.

She should be seeded in top 10 surely after all she has achieved.  Its a ludicrous seeding system at times . Its also quite discimantory 

as she came back from maternity leave as such 

Coric beats Federer in the final of Halle 7-6, 3-6, 6-2.  Nadal back to Number 1.

Berdych pulls out of Wimbledon with a back injury.

16 hours ago, The Brow said:

There isnt a sportsman in the world Id rather drop kick into the middle of next week than Kyrgios. Makes his 'pal' Tomic seem like a decent bloke.  

Wish him nothing but bad luck and hopefully he gets ****ing smashed at Wimbledon. 

This! Can't stand the pair of them.

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, AWM said:

Coric beats Federer in the final of Halle 7-6, 3-6, 6-2.  Nadal back to Number 1.

Berdych pulls out of Wimbledon with a back injury.

That's quite a win for Coric. 

rudi must stay

Wouldn't be shocked if Cilic came back and won this. Tough as nails mentally as a player

Edited by rudi must stay

I P Knightley
On 24/06/2018 at 11:53, Barack said:

What seeding do we think Serena will be shoe-horned in at for Wimbledon?  Given that the All-England Club have already pretty much given their answer.

"The seeding order follows the WTA ranking list, except where in the opinion of the committee a change is necessary to produce a balanced draw," the All England Club said last month."

I'll go top 15.

Archaic joke of an organisation.

There are times when it makes sense to tinker with the rankings to get a good draw. This would be one for me. Not necessarily handing Serena a favour; the other, lower, seeds may benefit from not seeing her till later and that, in turn, could make for better matches in the second week (with the caveat that we are talking about women's tennis where 'good' matches aren't at all predictable).

Eastbourne under way now . I used to have silly access to tickets for it but nugget went when it was a women's tournament. Wouldn't mind spending a couple of days there this week. If Murray beats Wawrinka in round 1, he's up against the British number 1. Scotland's number 1 is in the other half of the draw. 

rudi must stay

Edmund v Murray

I think Murray will win this. Edmunds is a fighter, but natural talent is something I think Murray has more of. He is playing very loose again, just like he did when he was number 1 and I do enjoy watching him in that mood. I think hes an outside bet for Wimbledon and I think he'll have a good run there

rudi must stay

Shaky start from Murray, 2-0 down. Needs to get a game on the board, or this set could get embarrassing

Edited by rudi must stay

rudi must stay

Edmund beats Murray, his first win v Murray. Quite a win that he'll take confidence from. Becoming a really solid match player

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Not looking good for Murray. A long road back for him, if indeed he ever gets back to normal

rudi must stay
7 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Not looking good for Murray. A long road back for him, if indeed he ever gets back to normal

I'd thrown in the towel if I were him. It could get embarrassing. Tennis is full of guys that can scrap and he's be a tick on the box for any of them, plus it would take some effort to move up in the rankings. He's made alot of money and achieved a lot in the game, should he have won more with his talent IMO yes, but it's still been a great career. I'm sure Kim will be saying the same to him. Sad way to go out but being 30 and being out on court playing in tournaments he shouldn't be anywhere near, even worse

AlimOzturk
6 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

I'd thrown in the towel if I were him. It could get embarrassing. Tennis is full of guys that can scrap and he's be a tick on the box for any of them, plus it would take some effort to move up in the rankings. He's made alot of money and achieved a lot in the game, should he have won more with his talent IMO yes, but it's still been a great career. I'm sure Kim will be saying the same to him. Sad way to go out but being 30 and being out on court playing in tournaments he shouldn't be anywhere near, even worse

Nadal and Fed showed it is possible after a lengthy lay off to come back and recapture that form. 30 isn't the death sentance that it had been in tennis. Of course Murray isn't as good as those two and it took monumental effort for him to get to that level. Might have been more tolling on his body than it would have been on federar and Nadal. 

rudi must stay
2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Nadal and Fed showed it is possible after a lengthy lay off to come back and recapture that form. 30 isn't the death sentance that it had been in tennis. Of course Murray isn't as good as those two and it took monumental effort for him to get to that level. Might have been more tolling on his body than it would have been on federar and Nadal. 

Ye, I think his playing style has been very taxing on his body, he really will hit winners from anywhere. Murray's not a natural like those two, but reading his comments I'm optimistic for his comeback, sounds like he knows what he's doing

Edited by rudi must stay

I P Knightley

Federer going on court in his new Uniqlo clobber. Picking up an alleged £300m over 10 years.

rudi must stay
21 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Federer going on court in his new Uniqlo clobber. Picking up an alleged £300m over 10 years.

I find this sad that he's no longer a Nike player. That suited him, and Nike to me is a company you associate with tennis, more than Uniqlo. Anyway, he's a joy to watch so far

rudi must stay

I'd give it to him already to be honest. Absolutely strolling it, he's moving incredibly well. Most of Lajovic's points have come from unenforced errors, imagine if he could cut those out and he will do as the tournament goes on. I heard a good comment from Murray, he said he learns from Rafa and Federer everytime he goes on court with them, tells you how consistent and strong both are as match players

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, rudi must stay said:

I find this sad that he's no longer a Nike player. That suited him, and Nike to me is a company you associate with tennis, more than Uniqlo. Anyway, he's a joy to watch so far

It looks like Nike may have retained the "RF" logo, it was only on his shoes. Although he played great, I can't see how Uniqlo expect to get returns out of him over 10 years. 

Commentators are sounding surprised that the 72-year-old Venus Williams isn't strolling through her match. 

rudi must stay
33 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

It looks like Nike may have retained the "RF" logo, it was only on his shoes. Although he played great, I can't see how Uniqlo expect to get returns out of him over 10 years. 

Commentators are sounding surprised that the 72-year-old Venus Williams isn't strolling through her match. 

Ye, that's a long time. But he doesn't play like a 36 year old, that's for sure. Bound to get about 3 good years from him IMO. Nike have maybe decided his best years are beyond him, interesting they've stuck with Krygios...

I P Knightley

Scotland's number one knocked out by former Brit Bedene.

The returning Stan knocked out one of the top tips, Dimitrov.

rudi must stay

Good start from Lacko. Keeping up this standard is a must if he even wants to even stay in this first set and make it interesting

Edited by rudi must stay

I had no idea Wimbledon was on already this summer. 

Turned on the TV and thought it strange there was tennis on.

Has there been no advertisement at all due to the world cup?

Edited by Bauld

I P Knightley

Federer being calm and efficient. He's now won 93 matches at Wimbledon in his career and lost 11. 

The schedulers have got Isner and Karlovic playing at the same time. Tie-break and aces counts both rocketing up. Pair o' lunks. 

Serena is justifying her seeding with a blitz attack on some poor victim. Wozniacki not really justifying hers, having to work now to break her oppo if she's to stay in the game (albeit, her oppo is number one doubles player so not a complete numpty).

Edit - I think it's Raonic who's had his seeding put about 12 places above his ATP ranking for Wimbledon. Very unusual in recent years but, like Serena, he's justifying it by taking out his oppo today with ease. 

Edited by I P Knightley

I P Knightley

While posting that comment about Wozniacki, her opponent only goes and turns a 40-0 lead (3 match points) into a break back for Tefal-heid. I take back my comment about her being a numpty. 

I P Knightley

An hour on and Karlovic is finally out, losing 13-11 in the fifth. I was starting to fear that that would go on until tomorrow. Well done Struff for taking him out.  

Isner has just got going in the 5th set 1-1 and deuce. I'm not watching as I suspect it will be dire. Someone, somewhere will probably get all excited about a 4 hour, 5 set match. I'd rather watch women's tennis. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

The top end of the women’s game are laughably flaky. The number of top seeds who get done early doors in grand slams is incredible 

I P Knightley
37 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

The top end of the women’s game are laughably flaky. The number of top seeds who get done early doors in grand slams is incredible 

Zackley! That's why, when a woman with a bit of steel comes along, she stays at the top for so long. Serena's the main example of that but you could look at her older sister who's got all sorts of ailments (probably senility by now; she's about 83, isn't she?) and still a real threat to the young things with their supple, stretchy bodies and pert... sorry - got a bit carried away there. Martina, Steffi, her with the knife out her back... they're all examples of how a wee bit of effort and focus can make you a 'great'.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

Zackley! That's why, when a woman with a bit of steel comes along, she stays at the top for so long. Serena's the main example of that but you could look at her older sister who's got all sorts of ailments (probably senility by now; she's about 83, isn't she?) and still a real threat to the young things with their supple, stretchy bodies and pert... sorry - got a bit carried away there. Martina, Steffi, her with the knife out her back... they're all examples of how a wee bit of effort and focus can make you a 'great'.

I know this sounds sexist but I sometimes think a lot of the women are more interested in being celebrities

AlimOzturk

Serena and Venus are successful because they are physically stronger and serve like men. They have a certain amount of talent but their physical attributes are what have carried them and still do. Serena could probably dominante into her 40s due to her serve. 

It is actually fairer to compare Serena and Venus and it is clear who the winner is there. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

rudi must stay

Kukuskin is no mug, so this could be a good match. GB's Lucy Boulter looks a good prospect, she lost 6-3 6-4 to Japan's Osaka, a player in the top 20 in the world

tokyowalnut
31 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Looks like Konta's on her way out. A spent force...

She lasted a good year or two.

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

Looks like Konta's on her way out. A spent force...

Don't like her attitude. Agressive and entitled, she'll keep going down unless she changes things. And these days where the power lies with the player I doubt she'll change anything.

Very good first set between Muguruza and Van Uytvanck. Muguruza a classy competitor, and credit to her Belgian opponent who made her raise her game.