2018 Summer Tennis

I P Knightley

I P Knightley

The French Open (least significant of the Grand Slam events, imo) has kicked off with Nadal still being the one to beat. He has a stroke of luck yesterday with rain coming down just as Bolelli was taking a grip in the third set. 

Yorkshire's Kyle Edmund, sitting at #17 in the ATP rankings has snuck into 16th seed due to Roger being allowed to do what he likes; 16th being so much better than 17th, the way these draws work. He kicks off today against some Aussie I've never heard of before (hopefully) meeting another unseeded player before possibly meeting Fognini, who's still a lot of fun to watch.  Edmund's got the game to go pretty far on clay but is still maturing so could go out on a brainfart. 

Elsewhere, the #20 seed, a lad called Djokovic, made a decent start, not for the first time licking a Brazilian. 

Overall, quite an open draw until people come across Nadal. Thiem there to make life difficult for Zverev in the QF.

Anyone see beyond Nadal for this?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rudi must stay

• I P Knightley

• Victorian

• neilnunb

Find this the least interesting Grand Slam as you basically know Nadal is going to win it unless he gets injured. I can't see it changing this year either especially with how he's been playing in the build up...I guess Thiem is really the only one I can see challenging given he has at least beaten him. But over 5 sets?

At least the women's draw is again wide open. Konta flops again though and had a good laugh at Heather Watson declaring she was 'on fire' in her win...therefore guaranteeing she'll get thrashed in the next round. :D

Placid Casual
2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Elsewhere, the #20 seed, a lad called Djokovic, made a decent start, not for the first time licking a Brazilian. 

:lol:

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

Has that Djokovic prick feigned injury yet when the match is going away from him ? 

No ? 

Well he will....

See Konta got rammed yesterday. Feckin useless Australian bint. 

We have a tennis club near our house and the budding Andy Murrays will be out in force. In fact they already are I saw a young welt having a meltdown the other day. Pretentious wee turd.

:biglaugh: 

In my mind's eye, that's a wee laddie aged about five who's got a racquet too big for him and a pushy, unfulfilled mum bullying him into playing and playing and playing until his fingers bleed. 

Pretentious wee turd!!

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

The French Open (least significant of the Grand Slam events, imo) has kicked off with Nadal still being the one to beat. He has a stroke of luck yesterday with rain coming down just as Bolelli was taking a grip in the third set. 

As others have said, can't see beyond Nadal unless he retires through injury. 

It'll be interesting to see if he can close the gap on Federer with regards to Grand Slam titles. Is four too much at this stage of his career? 

rudi must stay
On 29/05/2018 at 12:57, I P Knightley said:

Yorkshire's Kyle Edmund, sitting at #17 in the ATP rankings has snuck into 16th seed due to Roger being allowed to do what he likes; 16th being so much better than 17th, the way these draws work. He kicks off today against some Aussie I've never heard of before (hopefully) meeting another unseeded player before possibly meeting Fognini, who's still a lot of fun to watch.  Edmund's got the game to go pretty far on clay but is still maturing so could go out on a brainfart. 

Overall, quite an open draw until people come across Nadal. Thiem there to make life difficult for Zverev in the QF.

The angles Nadal can create are incredible. Can't see anyone beating him, although I predict Edmund will have a good run. He looks a player now, really moves well in a point

• redm changed the title to 2018 Summer Tennis

I've been in the huff with tennis in the last few months (maybe year actually) and I've hardly seen any - I've also been horribly busy and with no Murray to keep me focused I've kind of lost track of what's doing in the tennis world. I haven't even read any tennis news. Nada.

What's the story? Nadal cleaning up a bit? What's happening to Djokovic and his elbow - is it even still an issue? What's happening with Federer? Who's filling in behind Nadal? Zverev? DelPo? Cilic? How's the women's game shaping up with Serena out of action? Muguruza making strides? Halep? Wozniacki?

rudi must stay

Edmund reminds me so much of Murray. Perfect attitude, huge talent but Murray's problem was bringing that to a big match and I can see Edmund having the same problem. I guess that comes from winning them though, it's going to be fun watching him that's for sure

rudi must stay
3 hours ago, redm said:

I've been in the huff with tennis in the last few months (maybe year actually) and I've hardly seen any - I've also been horribly busy and with no Murray to keep me focused I've kind of lost track of what's doing in the tennis world. I haven't even read any tennis news. Nada.

What's the story? Nadal cleaning up a bit? What's happening to Djokovic and his elbow - is it even still an issue? What's happening with Federer? Who's filling in behind Nadal? Zverev? DelPo? Cilic? How's the women's game shaping up with Serena out of action? Muguruza making strides? Halep? Wozniacki?

Nadal and Federer are the top two but Zverev and Thiem are improving rapidly. Federer is playing a smart game, staying out of the French so he isn't handed a hammering by Nadal. Djokovic is lurking at the back, he looks totally injury free and what a competitor. A bit of a gap between them and the rest

I P Knightley
4 hours ago, redm said:

If Nadal doesn't win this tournament, Federer goes back to number 1 in the rankings. 

Djoko's return has been rusty to say the least. A few early rounds pumpings but he's being pretty dogged about it and may well come good in the second half of the year. 

Zverev has been the big noise, moving into third ranking spot and seeded #2 in the French, due to come across Dominic Thiem in the semi. There's quite a band of clay-courters who're in the top 16: Spaniards, Eye-ties, Thiem and Edmund all look good on the surface. Zverev, himself, is no slouch either. They'll all put up a decent show but it's hard to see past Nadal when it comes to a five set brawl. 

I don't see Thiem as a slam winner. Puts in a ton of hours, playing more tournaments than everyone else in the top 16 (at least he did last year). Good enough to stick around the top 8 for some time, though. 

Delpo's got himself inside the top 8 with a bit of reliability rather than real, convincing challenges at the top. I really hope he comes good in one of the slams this season, though I doubt it will be this one. He's down to meet Cilic in the QF (if Edmund or Fognini don't get in Cilic's way). If that happens, it will be one to watch. He's currently skelping Chardy in the second round; set and break up. 

Bloody Isner is back inside the top 10. Can't remember how that happened but it shouldn't have. Fair play to him, mind you. For a one-dimensional circus freak, he must have done something right over the last few months. I just wouldn't watch it. Just seen his live score; 2 sets into the match and, guess what?, 7-6 6-7. On clay.

I see that Shapovolov got pumpded oot today. I think he'll start to knock on the door of the top 16 soon - needs to get a bit more consistent but he's come a long way since whacking that umpire in the eye.

In the women's game, Serena's back and so is Sharapova. Some of them sometimes win and others lose. I think Halep is still number one, which is great as she certainly used to have her knockers. 

4 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Edmund reminds me so much of Murray. Perfect attitude, huge talent but Murray's problem was bringing that to a big match and I can see Edmund having the same problem. I guess that comes from winning them though, it's going to be fun watching him that's for sure

Murray's attitude at that age was far from 'perfect', it was the main thing holding him back (in my view). Edmund has benefitted from that, though with Murray having taken Kyle under his wing. Kyle strikes me as a more focussed player, unlikely to have the stupid melt-downs and shouting at the box sort of thing that Brad Gilbert had Murray doing. He also (Keddlers) doesn't take his mammy with him wherever he goes.

It's great that he's crept up to the top 16 without fuss or fanfare; the British sports media struggles to pay attention to more than one tennis player at a time and non-stories about Murray's expected return date are more prominent that anything following Edmund. Of course, once he gets to Wimbledon, the press will go nuts and Edmund might make the third round.

JimKongUno
4 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Murray  had won some big tournaments , been in grand slam finals and whopped Federer a good few times by the time he was Edmunds age . Murrays problem was he was having to beat Nadal , Federer or Djokovic at the top of their game . Edmund cant even beat the Cilic's and the Raonics to get a shot at Federer etc.

rudi must stay
1 minute ago, JimKongUno said:

Murray  had won some big tournaments , been in grand slam finals and whopped Federer a good few times by the time he was Edmunds age . Murrays problem was he was having to beat Nadal , Federer or Djokovic at the top of their game . Edmund cant even beat the Cilic's and the Raonics to get a shot at Federer etc.

11 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

If Nadal doesn't win this tournament, Federer goes back to number 1 in the rankings. 

Djoko's return has been rusty to say the least. A few early rounds pumpings but he's being pretty dogged about it and may well come good in the second half of the year. 

Zverev has been the big noise, moving into third ranking spot and seeded #2 in the French, due to come across Dominic Thiem in the semi. There's quite a band of clay-courters who're in the top 16: Spaniards, Eye-ties, Thiem and Edmund all look good on the surface. Zverev, himself, is no slouch either. They'll all put up a decent show but it's hard to see past Nadal when it comes to a five set brawl. 

I don't see Thiem as a slam winner. Puts in a ton of hours, playing more tournaments than everyone else in the top 16 (at least he did last year). Good enough to stick around the top 8 for some time, though. 

Delpo's got himself inside the top 8 with a bit of reliability rather than real, convincing challenges at the top. I really hope he comes good in one of the slams this season, though I doubt it will be this one. He's down to meet Cilic in the QF (if Edmund or Fognini don't get in Cilic's way). If that happens, it will be one to watch. He's currently skelping Chardy in the second round; set and break up. 

Bloody Isner is back inside the top 10. Can't remember how that happened but it shouldn't have. Fair play to him, mind you. For a one-dimensional circus freak, he must have done something right over the last few months. I just wouldn't watch it. Just seen his live score; 2 sets into the match and, guess what?, 7-6 6-7. On clay.

I see that Shapovolov got pumpded oot today. I think he'll start to knock on the door of the top 16 soon - needs to get a bit more consistent but he's come a long way since whacking that umpire in the eye.

In the women's game, Serena's back and so is Sharapova. Some of them sometimes win and others lose. I think Halep is still number one, which is great as she certainly used to have her knockers. 

Murray's attitude at that age was far from 'perfect', it was the main thing holding him back (in my view). Edmund has benefitted from that, though with Murray having taken Kyle under his wing. Kyle strikes me as a more focussed player, unlikely to have the stupid melt-downs and shouting at the box sort of thing that Brad Gilbert had Murray doing. He also (Keddlers) doesn't take his mammy with him wherever he goes.

It's great that he's crept up to the top 16 without fuss or fanfare; the British sports media struggles to pay attention to more than one tennis player at a time and non-stories about Murray's expected return date are more prominent that anything following Edmund. Of course, once he gets to Wimbledon, the press will go nuts and Edmund might make the third round.

I see Thiem as even stronger than Zverev. Solid solid player and athlete, ye heard good things about Shopopoplov, big serve and he can play too. What worries with me Djokovic is he throws in basic errors when you think everythings going well for him, but the way he's moving is incredible. Love Murray's attitude and I always have, yes he has the tantrums but that's due to the pressure he puts on himself. I would think Edmund is the exact same. IMO if that Murray had shown up in more finals instead of being passive he'd have won alot more

rudi must stay
10 minutes ago, JimKongUno said:

Edmund's beat Djokovic now. And his forehand will worry anyone, humongous shot 

I P Knightley

I'm only looking at the scoreboards but even then, Isner is pissing me off. Third set, another 7-6. First game of the 4th set coughs up a service break after 2 hours and 25 minutes of play. No break point opportunities for his oppo; only 5 for him in the first 3 sets. 

I bet he's got a really tasty wife and a flash sports car. Big lunk.

rudi must stay
24 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I'm only looking at the scoreboards but even then, Isner is pissing me off. Third set, another 7-6. First game of the 4th set coughs up a service break after 2 hours and 25 minutes of play. No break point opportunities for his oppo; only 5 for him in the first 3 sets. 

I bet he's got a really tasty wife and a flash sports car. Big lunk.

Players like him annoy me too. What does they practice with their coach? Abit of serving. 'well done, were done for the day'. Every single day. Because they don't get better at anything else

rudi must stay

Verdasco's an outside bet for the whole thing IMO. Hitting really well and as seen in the past, I remember he was brilliant v Murray a few years ago, he can bring that to a big match. Batista Agut Djokovic is a cracking match, not sure he has the quality to beat him, but good rally's.

rudi must stay

Don't think Edmund has much chance here. Fognini is such a talent on this surface, makes it look very easy playing ridiculous shots on clay. Hope I'm wrong though, Edmund is a grafter

I P Knightley
3 hours ago, Geoff the Mince said:

Brilliant tennis ; what a tie break 

Djokovic having treatment for injuries before roaring back in a match? Quelle surprise. But he couldn't make it stick against the match fixer.

The break will probably help Nadal. Fingers crossed it doesn't. 

Think men's tennis really needs someone new winning this tournament, preferably a new Slam winner (though I'd love del Potro to win). 

I P Knightley

I was hoping for slightly better results for JMDP than the gubbing he was given by Nadal this afternoon. At least something where he got into double figures in the game score.

At least Cecchini gave Thiem something to do for the first couple of sets. 

I doubt I'll be tuning in for the final. 

Geoff the Mince
11 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I was hoping for slightly better results for JMDP than the gubbing he was given by Nadal this afternoon. At least something where he got into double figures in the game score.

At least Cecchini gave Thiem something to do for the first couple of sets. 

I doubt I'll be tuning in for the final. 

Nadal 3 0 set betting  is even money which will keep me interested ,

Ladies should be a good match and hopefully Halep can win her 1st major . 

rudi must stay
2 hours ago, AWM said:

Andy Murray confirm's he will play at Queen's next week.

He will play Nick Kyrgios in his first match since Wimbledon.

Tough draw. He'll probably go out, interesting Kyrgios is in it. Suggests he's improved and is becoming the player the pundits thought he'd be

Edited by rudi must stay

I P Knightley

And, with a win in the Stuttgart Open, Roger Federer returns to number 1 in the world rankings. It is 16 (SIXTEEN) years since he first reached world #1 and it's not like there's been a bunch of huddies and deadbeats throughout that time. Phenomenal stuff. 

His semi-final in Germany was against Kygios who took a set off him and forced a tie-break in the final set. That's a pretty good performance on grass against the GOAT. Enough to suggest that he'll have little difficulty overcoming Murray at Queen's unless he does something looney - like he's prone to do once in a while. 

Kyrgios is in it because (a) he wants to be and (b ) his world ranking is around 20 so, for all his fallability, he puts in enough strong tournaments throughout the year to earn his places. 

A couple of interesting Wild Cards to the event: drug taking Dan Evans and Novak Djokovic. (A sentence which could be read to imply that Novak Djokovic has been a drug taker. No such implication was intended.)

rudi must stay
22 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

And, with a win in the Stuttgart Open, Roger Federer returns to number 1 in the world rankings. It is 16 (SIXTEEN) years since he first reached world #1 and it's not like there's been a bunch of huddies and deadbeats throughout that time. Phenomenal stuff. 

His semi-final in Germany was against Kygios who took a set off him and forced a tie-break in the final set. That's a pretty good performance on grass against the GOAT. Enough to suggest that he'll have little difficulty overcoming Murray at Queen's unless he does something looney - like he's prone to do once in a while. 

Kyrgios is in it because (a) he wants to be and (b ) his world ranking is around 20 so, for all his fallability, he puts in enough strong tournaments throughout the year to earn his places. 

A couple of interesting Wild Cards to the event: drug taking Dan Evans and Novak Djokovic. (A sentence which could be read to imply that Novak Djokovic has been a drug taker. No such implication was intended.)

Murray is mentally very tough. If his fitness is where he wants it to be then it should be a brilliant match

rudi must stay

Interestingly Jay Clarke (a new young Brit, never heard of him until today) plays Sam Querrey later on today 

JudyJudyJudy
On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 18:52, Geoff the Mince said:

Nadal 3 0 set betting  is even money which will keep me interested ,

Ladies should be a good match and hopefully Halep can win her 1st major . 

Good to see Halep win her first Slam. Shes terrific. A right wee fighter and fairly whacks the ball. More to come now I think now she has broke her hoodoo

Dan Evans back up to approx 350 in the rankings after a few good weeks. On the comebavk trail after a years ban for coca index use.  Good to see him back, has a wildcard at Queens 

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, Boozyuzi said:

Dan Evans back up to approx 350 in the rankings after a few good weeks. On the comebavk trail after a years ban for coca index use.  Good to see him back, has a wildcard at Queens 

Mannarino is a tough match (always goes through a few rounds at Wimbledon). If he can get it that would be a good win for Dan Evans 

I P Knightley
20 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Mannarino is a tough match (always goes through a few rounds at Wimbledon). If he can get it that would be a good win for Dan Evans 

Mannarino's a dogged player, hanging somewhere around the top 32 and not excelling on any particular surface. He's had a couple of good Queens tourneys - pumpded oot JMDP a few years back before falling to the mighty James Ward of Britain. 

Evans never got near the same level, even at his best. Hope for the best - fear the worst. 

I P Knightley

Djokovic has just finished his match which means that Murray is up next. 

I can't remember which bit of Djokovic was injured, forcing his lay-off but in the little bit of him I glimpsed playing Millman, I thought that his forehand looked a little bit more 'pushy' than I remember - like he was putting in a full two-shouldered swing rather than putting everything through the right arm.

rudi must stay
17 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Djokovic has just finished his match which means that Murray is up next. 

I can't remember which bit of Djokovic was injured, forcing his lay-off but in the little bit of him I glimpsed playing Millman, I thought that his forehand looked a little bit more 'pushy' than I remember - like he was putting in a full two-shouldered swing rather than putting everything through the right arm.

Ye agree with this. No big shots, but his ability to read the game is now back as good as it ever was

I P Knightley

Did Kyrgios forget his trainers and have to take a pair from the school lost and found?

(Actually, from personal experience of Queen's Club, it more likely he was sent to the club shop and made to buy a pair of all-whites at high cost. Posh b*st*rds.

I P Knightley

Today sees Kyle Edmund take on Kyrgios in the singles AND the doubles. I don't know that I've seen that before in a schedule. 

rudi must stay

Kyrgios is playing really solid, he's improved his serve again, I really dont know why he took the pace off so much but it's a great move him serving big again. How funny it would be, against the whole tennis establishment, if he had a strong Queens and Wimbledon and I can see it happening.

I P Knightley
10 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Kyrgios is playing really solid, he's improved his serve again, I really dont know why he took the pace off so much but it's a great move him serving big again. How funny it would be, against the whole tennis establishment, if he had a strong Queens and Wimbledon and I can see it happening.

His serving seems almost effortless; his timing must be spot on and, of course, he's very elastic. Cracking backhand to win the tie-break.

p.s. Kyrgios is probably the last player who I'd choose to try a drop shot against. 

Edited by I P Knightley