Pre-Season Friendlies

Footballfirst

Footballfirst

I believe that a proposed trip for the first team to Germany has fallen through, but I haven't seen any other fixtures mooted. Anyone in the know?

I've found one friendly so far for a Hearts XI (probably reserves,  U20s/U18s) against Tynecastle FC on Sunday 22 July, to mark their move to Meggetland.  Tynecastle will be using the main grass/rugby pitch there next season.

http://www.tynecastlefc.co.uk/newsstory.php?nid=956

http://www.tynecastlefc.co.uk/newsstory.php?nid=951

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Boab

• portobellojambo1

• Footballfirst

Queen of the South away, Wednesday night 11th July. Glenavon away but date still to be confirmed. This is part of the young lads transfer agreement. Nothing else decided at this stage

Q o S away is one of the best pre season friendlies I ever attended.  Think we went on the Pivot bus.  Great journey down and back.  Glorious weather.  Prob around 2,000 Jambos present.

Game was average as I recall but nobody cared really.  Think we won 2-0 and Andy Lynch scored them both but that could be bollocks.

Think is was the 1814/15 season!

Footballfirst
21 minutes ago, Saughton Jambo said:

Queen of the South away, Wednesday night 11th July. Glenavon away but date still to be confirmed. This is part of the young lads transfer agreement. Nothing else decided at this stage

Thanks for that.

The Glenavon website suggests that the friendly won't be until next year.

"The terms of his transfer include an agreement from the famous Edinburgh side to play a pre-season friendly at Mourneview in 2019 together with the normal enhancements linked to first team appearances."

Edited by Footballfirst

16 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Q o S away is one of the best pre season friendlies I ever attended.  Think we went on the Pivot bus.  Great journey down and back.  Glorious weather.  Prob around 2,000 Jambos present.

Game was average as I recall but nobody cared really.  Think we won 2-0 and Andy Lynch scored them both but that could be bollocks.

Here's a photo from that day...

18.png

Edited by Gershwin

Footballfirst
8 minutes ago, Gershwin said:

Here's a photo from that day...

18.png

The European  Championship final was played at Waterloo at the end of that season, with Napoleon and Wellington captaining their respective teams

Heard we were at the East End, I assumed Millwall or Orient or West Ham but perhaps it’s just a trip over the bridge to Dunfermline?!!!

Edited by Jambo-Fox

9 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

The European  Championship final was played at Waterloo at the end of that season, with Napoleon and Wellington captaining their respective teams

Malaury Martin was awarded a 300 year contract by Napoleon , but failed to make the subs bench.

BelgeJambo
10 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Beat me to it FF

It wasn’t Lynch that scored 

guy called Sharpe who cut through their midfield and fired in a couple of bullets from 30 yards

TorinoJambo
14 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

I think that was 1969 and we played Spurs at Tynie the next week. Dumfries is always great.

Bazzas right boot
14 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

You got an oil painting or tapestry of the highlights? 

Edited by WeeChuck'sHeed

Falkirk, Partick Thistle & St Mirren i have heard possibilties. ICT would have been an option but thats cancelled now we face them in the cup anyway

Italian Lambretta
5 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

Falkirk, Partick Thistle & St Mirren i have heard possibilties. ICT would have been an option but thats cancelled now we face them in the cup anyway

That’s what I expect from Hearts. Nothing like given the loyal fans a summer treat after another dismal season ?

I too have heard rumours of playing Fulham but I guess that might depend on what happens today.

Hopefully it goes ahead, Millwall was excellent.

1 hour ago, dazajmbo said:

Could see Falkirk and Partick but playing st Mirren makes no sense due to them being in the same league next season 

CanadianJamTart
2 hours ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Hahahahahahaha oh man

WoodenHertz

Living in England I don't manage to get to a lot of games. Would love for Hearts to go somewhere down here. Fulham could be a great trip. 

J.T.F.Robertson
20 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

There's a good chance we knew each other due to the Pivot connection.

6 hours ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

I'm trying (and failing miserably) to figure out what Doug intended to type. :huh:

2 hours ago, WoodenHertz said:

Living in England I don't manage to get to a lot of games. Would love for Hearts to go somewhere down here. Fulham could be a great trip. 

I agree it would be nice to re-visit Craven Cottage, although I’ve been there several times the last and only time I saw Hearts play there was in the Texaco Cup many years ago!

Very nice & friendly staff and probably one of the few remaining stadiums where they have one ‘end’ with no segregation, away and Home fans together! And never seems to be any trouble - perhaps the way forward!!

PS well done to them on being promoted to the Premier League - another easy trip next season!!

Back to 2005

Fulham would be decent. Been to most other London grounds but not there. Think it's unlikely though.

BerraBelieveit

Dumbarton will be shier carnage. 

That wee town is the epicenter of Scottish Football away grounds. 

davemclaren
Just now, BerraBelieveit said:

Dumbarton will be shier carnage. 

That wee town is the epicenter of Scottish Football away grounds. 

Drew might make it along. 

Phil Dunphy

I’ll be giving Dumbarton a miss I think. Shame we’re not looking likely to get a trip down south anywhere but I suppose it isn’t just as easy as giving Steve Bruce a bell and rocking up to Villa Park. 

13 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I’ll be giving Dumbarton a miss I think. Shame we’re not looking likely to get a trip down south anywhere but I suppose it isn’t just as easy as giving Steve Bruce a bell and rocking up to Villa Park. 

We've already cancelled a trip to Germany due to the cost.

How do you expect us to be able to afford train tickets to Birmingham ?

Dumbarton's fine we can go on holiday 'doon the water'☺

Phil Dunphy
4 minutes ago, luckydug said:

We've already cancelled a trip to Germany due to the cost.

How do you expect us to be able to afford train tickets to Birmingham ?

Dumbarton's fine we can go on holiday 'doon the water'☺

Two days in Birmingham is likely to cost a lot less than 10 days in Germany. 

portobellojambo1

If we were going down South I'd be quite happy with a venue such as Carlisle, on the West coast or somewhere in the Newcastle area on the East coast.

Sorry lads, I started the Fulham rumour as i heard it round the campfire from a reliable source, there was also meant to be another London game, possibly against the O's, but the trip South is a no-no unfortunately.

N Lincs Jambo

Scunny Utd, Hull, Lincoln City or Grimsby Town will do me. Actually feck Grimsby, that really is a shithole :laugh:. I know, I'm there at least 3 days every week

Brentford is my preference, it’s the

only London Club I’ve never visited - yet!!

I think the only way we will be playing an English club is if we take the option of a “glamour” friendly and reschedule one of our early league games. We have friendlies already scheduled for 7 and 11 July and Betfred starts on 14 July so friendly against English opposition would have to be late June or early July. We start pre-season on 20 June. EFL starts on 4 August some of them won’t  even be back in training in late June, early July. EPL is a week later than that. 

On 26/05/2018 at 22:59, TorinoJambo said:

I think that was 1969 and we played Spurs at Tynie the next week. Dumfries is always great.

Spurs at at Tynie was just outstanding.  Think we had that a couple of times and one of them in brilliant sunshine was the Greaves v Cruickshank show.

On 25/05/2018 at 21:52, Kiwidoug said:

I quite fancy going down to Dunfries but staying the night. It would be handy if they played Glenavon a few days before or after. It's just a wee short trip over the water.

Edited by mitch41

Dalstonjambo
43 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Should still be able to have a friendly at tynecastle I would think.

When would we be able to do that? Given Budge has admitted the pitch is on a tight schedule and there were rumours on here ranging from we'll start away again to we may play league cup matches at Livingston I'd be shocked if we played a home friendly. 

letsalldothebeattie

Might go to Arbroath never been yet and should be decent weather at this time of year

we're back in training on the 20th of June and now we've got friendlies on the 3rd, 7th and 11th of July leading into the league cup fixtures on the 14th, 17th, 21st, 25th and 28th (one of these dates won't be valid) then we're looking at the league season starting on the 4th of August

I don't imagine we'll be organising any matches in the first couple of weeks of training, the SPFL website suggests that there are 5 league cup group stage match days despite the fact that we'll only be playing 4 matches so I think if we will be adding any more friendlies at all then our best chance would probably be if we don't have a game on the 28th and we can stick one between the group stage ending and the league starting

August Landmesser
1 hour ago, rubyruby said:

Another friendly..away to Arbroath on Tues 3rd july

They have a Steak & Black Pudding Pie that is honestly one of the greatest things I've ever eaten in a football ground.

Another Robbo
11 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

They have a Steak & Black Pudding Pie that is honestly one of the greatest things I've ever eaten in a football ground.

If I wasn’t going to this game before I am now!

14 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

I was living down south when Celtic played Brentford pre-season :cornette_dog:

Sent a drunken group of them in completely the wrong direction at my local Overground station though :lol:

scott herbertson
18 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Brentford is great

pub on every corner of the ground which is even more hemmed in than Tynie

had to escape from one of those pubs when the Schalke Guys I was with got so drunk I feared they would either spontaneously combust or trample the pub to the ground.