***Summer 2018 Transfer Window Thread***

tartofmidlothian

Escobar PHM
7 minutes ago, jamtartan74 said:

That midfield never lined up together so that’s just a guess on ur part. 

Yes I am guessing that a limited hatchet man, a wee boy still growing and barely shaving and a guy that has hardly shown up since the ACN 18 months ago would get a bit of a schooling from most midfields in the upper half of the table. It wouldn’t do great away from home against most of the bottom half either

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• rudi must stay

• tartofmidlothian

• Bauld

jamtartan74
2 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Yes I am guessing that a limited hatchet man, a wee boy still growing and barely shaving and a guy that has hardly shown up since the ACN 18 months ago would get a bit of a schooling from most midfields in the upper half of the table. It wouldn’t do great away from home against most of the bottom half either

I’m not saying they would or would not compete, just pointing out they have never played together seeing as u said they would or in fact have had there arses spanked by the top six last season. 

1 hour ago, Frank1874 said:

You seriously don’t think a starting lineup as below isn’t as good as Hibs, Rangers or Aberdeen’s first choice starting lineup:

McLaughlin

Smith

Souttar

Berra

Mitchell

Adao

Djoum

Cochrane

Milinkovic

Lafferty

Naismith

Not arguing that is a fairly strong line up at our level but of the players you list..

McLaughlin will almost certainly be away, none of the 4 loanees have actually signed yet, Djoum is injured, Cochrane is 17 and not ready to play every week and there's at least faint rumours of bids for Souttar and Lafferty... 

I don't think all of them will leave but from that list I'd say there's only about 4 of them "guarenteed" to be here next season. 

Willing to give the new guys a chance and gut feeling is at least that Lee and and the big guy up front will be useful additions but work to be done to compete with Aberdeen, Rangers and possibly Hibs depending how their recruitment goes. 

Escobar PHM
3 minutes ago, jamtartan74 said:

I’m not saying they would or would not compete, just pointing out they have never played together seeing as u said they would or in fact have had there arses spanked by the top six last season. 

All 3 have played several times in the midfield and been found wanting several times Mr Pedant .

jamtartan74
1 minute ago, Escobar PHM said:

All 3 have played several times in the midfield and been found wanting several times Mr Pedant .

Not at the same time, but anyway ur right I was being pedantic ??. 

8 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

If we signed David Wotherspoon I'd go on a killing spree. 

Would pay to see that tbh. 

Escobar PHM
10 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

If we signed David Wotherspoon I'd go on a killing spree. 

Start with Levein and I’ll swear you were with me all night. ? 

North Berwick Jambo

You seriously don’t think a starting lineup as below isn’t as good as Hibs, Rangers or Aberdeen’s first choice starting lineup:

McLaughlin

Smith

Souttar

Berra

Mitchell

Adao

Djoum

Cochrane

Milinkovic

Lafferty

Naismith

Keep McLaughlin or replace with the same quality, swap Smith for a much better right back. Add a more mature attacking midfielder that young Cochrane can come on for (Lee?) and put another good striker on the bench and I would be delighted with that set up next season ?

Edited by Ibiza Jambo

Alex Kintner
18 minutes ago, Simo said:

Not arguing that is a fairly strong line up at our level but of the players you list..

McLaughlin will almost certainly be away, none of the 4 loanees have actually signed yet, Djoum is injured, Cochrane is 17 and not ready to play every week and there's at least faint rumours of bids for Souttar and Lafferty... 

I don't think all of them will leave but from that list I'd say there's only about 4 of them "guarenteed" to be here next season. 

Willing to give the new guys a chance and gut feeling is at least that Lee and and the big guy up front will be useful additions but work to be done to compete with Aberdeen, Rangers and possibly Hibs depending how their recruitment goes. 

We were talking about last season.

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Start with Levein and I’ll swear you were with me all night. ? 

Funny you should say that, Craig just pm'ed me....

3 minutes ago, Ibiza Jambo said:

Keep McLaughlin or replace with the same quality, swap Smith for a much better left back. Add a more mature attacking midfielder that young Cochrane can come in for and put another good striker on the bench and I would be delighted with that set up next season ?

:mmtaxi:

Edited by WeeChuck'sHeed

Famous 1874
2 hours ago, Frank1874 said:

McLaughlin

Smith

Souttar

Berra

Mitchell

Adao

Djoum

Cochrane

Milinkovic

Lafferty

Naismith

Godinho in for Smith

jamboinglasgow

Definitely Jason Kerr we’re in for :thumbsup:

Based on previous seasons, we like to try and sign one promising young player from another premiership team. We signed Souttar. Missed out on Cadden last year so not the maddest idea that we go for Kerr. But can't imagine St Johnstone will allow him to go for cheap enough for us.

McLaughlin

Smith

Souttar

Berra

Mitchell

Adao

Djoum

Cochrane

Milinkovic

Lafferty

Naismith

To be scathing, we did finish 6th and basing performances on last season it looks like one of those line ups which looks better on paper.

People are getting misty eyed because some players played a bit better towards the end of the season when the pressure was off. Personally, I think Smith generally  ordinary and would have Godhino and even Brandon ahead of him.

Naismith scored in the Derby and notched others but in all honesty didn't bring the consistent quality we all expected.

Im not going to go too deep though. There's many many reasons why we had a poor season.

I think one big thing though is combination play, or lack of,  between the key areas going forward. Mitchell is the sort of standard we need on the right to link play with the midfield. We also need stronger hold up play upfront and a good wide player getting in there. 

3 hours ago, Spencer said:

Al - give it a rest man. None of us know intimately what terms players command. 

None of the players we have recruited appear to be world beaters but we seem to be heading in the right direction with more to follow 

The debate you are seeking here is never going to go anywhere 

I am sorry Spenny for having backed your mate into a corner.  He said he did he did know the financial position.  Are you his minder?

We cannot afford world beaters.  I can understand now how you and him are disappointed.

The debate is going where I want it to go.  That is to expose the sheer ignorance of those who open their mouths and let their bellies rumble.

2 hours ago, Escobar PHM said:

Now now bully boy. Surely not time for another dressing down already is it ?  Another digital elbow in the puss so to speak ? You shuffled off for a week last time if I mind right .

You are a strange guy indeed.  You cannot answer a simple question so you attack the questioner.  It does not wash.  Can you not back up what you say?  Is that the problem?

I have never shuffled off anywhere but I might have to on this occasion because I sense I might wait long enough for you to justify your criticisms.

14 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I am sorry Spenny for having backed your mate into a corner.  He said he did he did know the financial position.  Are you his minder?

We cannot afford world beaters.  I can understand now how you and him are disappointed.

The debate is going where I want it to go.  That is to expose the sheer ignorance of those who open their mouths and let their bellies rumble.

Good grief. OK Al, you crack on bud 

Frightening 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

To be scathing, we did finish 6th and basing performances on last season it looks like one of those line ups which looks better on paper.

People are getting misty eyed because some players played a bit better towards the end of the season when the pressure was off. Personally, I think Smith generally  ordinary and would have Godhino and even Brandon ahead of him.

Naismith scored in the Derby and notched others but in all honesty didn't bring the consistent quality we all expected.

Im not going to go too deep though. There's many many reasons why we had a poor season.

I think one big thing though is combination play, or lack of,  between the key areas going forward. Mitchell is the sort of standard we need on the right to link play with the midfield. We also need stronger hold up play upfront and a good wide player getting in there. 

Fair points but I disagree. 

Mitchell, Naismith and Adao all arrived in January, all hadn't played reguraly for a while, but all are decent players, in fact are good at this level. 

We had injuries across the midfield  constantly and many players were playing not near 100% due to niggles. 

Our biggest issue last year was lack of depth out with our first 11, not helped by injuries.

An 11-13 of that quality supplemented by around 7-10 solid pros, with different qualities to mix it up and improving youngsters is ideal. 

We had almost zero ability to change things when they went wrong or players had a bad day making us easy on occasion to play against as we simply could not impact anything positively. 

Escobar PHM
22 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

You are a strange guy indeed.  You cannot answer a simple question so you attack the questioner.  It does not wash.  Can you not back up what you say?  Is that the problem?

I have never shuffled off anywhere but I might have to on this occasion because I sense I might wait long enough for you to justify your criticisms.

I backed up what I said 100%. Given that neither of us know the budget, I’d rather have seen money spent on 2 quality midfielders than 6 squad fillers for the same money. It’s not a difficult concept chum. You either agree or you don’t. 

tartofmidlothian
4 hours ago, Frank1874 said:

Definitely Jason Kerr we’re in for :thumbsup:

Makes sense, he's one of our kinds of players at the moment. A lot of lower league experience in his teens, made a breakthrough in the top league last season and he's broken into the Scotland youth setup.

2 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

I backed up what I said 100%. Given that neither of us know the budget, I’d rather have seen money spent on 2 quality midfielders than 6 squad fillers for the same money. It’s not a difficult concept chum. You either agree or you don’t. 

You certainly did not.  You waffled as you are doing now.

I won't ask you to name specific names but you can give us an idea of the type of player and the roles these 2 players would fill - eg someone like XYZ who plays DMF at maybe Killie and someone like ABC at Aberdeen to play AMF.  Surely you had something like this in mind.

Now that's not a difficult concept, chum.  Is it?

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, maroonplatoon87 said:

Souttar replacement NAP

He’s from Edinburgh and played for Tynecastle colts, we need another CB whether Souttar stays or goes. Swap for Sammon and Martin ??

Alex Kintner
7 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He’s from Edinburgh and played for Tynecastle colts, we need another CB whether Souttar stays or goes. Swap for Sammon and Martin ??

St Johnstone looking for a replacement for McLean so may be interested in Sammon. Maybe. Hopefully.

46 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

St Johnstone looking for a replacement for McLean so may be interested in Sammon. Maybe. Hopefully.

Wright was interested in Sammon when he went to Killie and again last summer. 

Hearts will need to give Sammon a few quid in his tail to go though 

Pasquale for King

All our Xmases rolled into one ?

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
31 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

QPR could be Souttar's destination if the money is right and gets over his injury.

If the money is right I'd be happy. Souttar is the most easily replaceable out of our top players.

Escobar PHM
10 hours ago, JamboAl said:

You certainly did not.  You waffled as you are doing now.

I won't ask you to name specific names but you can give us an idea of the type of player and the roles these 2 players would fill - eg someone like XYZ who plays DMF at maybe Killie and someone like ABC at Aberdeen to play AMF.  Surely you had something like this in mind.

Now that's not a difficult concept, chum.  Is it?

I’m not responsible for identifying and recruiting players. Since we both don’t know the budget and what players are available at what price then it’s pointless me trawling the internet for names that might fit. That’s your chums job chum. Your clearly happy with what’s been brought in so far. I think we’ll get run ragged if that’s the standard we keep recruiting. Let’s leave it there chum, until the next time you fancy being slapped down 

31 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

I’m not responsible for identifying and recruiting players. Since we both don’t know the budget and what players are available at what price then it’s pointless me trawling the internet for names that might fit. That’s your chums job chum. Your clearly happy with what’s been brought in so far. I think we’ll get run ragged if that’s the standard we keep recruiting. Let’s leave it there chum, until the next time you fancy being slapped down 

No one suggested you were responsible for identifying/recruiting players.  You're making that up!

I asked the player or type of player you would have instead of those we have signed, since you are unhappy so far.  I would have thought you had something positive in mind since you are such a prolific critic.

I did not say I was happy (or unhappy) with what has been brought in.  You just made that up as well!  The ongoing new stand and pitch relaying costs will limit what is available for new players so I'll just wait and see them play before making a judgment as to whether I think we have done the best we could in our present circumstances.

As regards your last sentence you would dearly love to leave it there to save further embarrassment, then round it off with shit amateur psychology about being slapped down.  Who are you trying to kid mate?

Keeper now signed, the squad is starting to take shape.

Goalkeepers

Zlamal

Mason

Right backs

M.Smith

L.Smith

Godhino

Brandon

Centre backs

Berra

Souttar

Baur

Gajda

Hamilton

(M.Smith and Petkov can cover here)

Left backs

Garuccio

(all right backs and Burns can cover here)

Centre Mids

Lee

Djoum

Burns

Cowie

Callachan

Cochrane

C.Smith

Petkov

Irving

Martin

Wingers/Supporting Attackers/Second Strikers

Amankwaa

Mulraney

Moore

Zanatta

McDonald

Morrison

Henderson

(Cowie, Djoum, Brandon and Burns can all cover here)

Centre Forwards

Lafferty

MacLean

Ikpeazu

Currie

Keena

Roy

Sammon

(Zanatta and Henderson can cover here)

Craig himself has stated his desire publicly to sign Naismith, Adao, Milinkovic and Mitchell as well as an extra centre half and an extra keeper, we may need two centre halfs if Hughes decides to retire

In addition to the above I personally really hope to see a relatively quality centre mid come in before the end of August

Martin, Sammon and Callachan should be invited to leave imo, whether they chose to is a different matter 

tartofmidlothian
5 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Keeper now signed, the squad is starting to take shape.

Goalkeepers

Zlamal

Mason

Right backs

M.Smith

L.Smith

Godhino

Brandon

Centre backs

Berra

Souttar

Baur

Gajda

Hamilton

(M.Smith and Petkov can cover here)

Left backs

Garuccio

(all right backs and Burns can cover here)

Centre Mids

Lee

Djoum

Burns

Cowie

Callachan

Cochrane

C.Smith

Petkov

Irving

Martin

Wingers/Supporting Attackers/Second Strikers

Amankwaa

Mulraney

Moore

Zanatta

McDonald

Morrison

Henderson

(Cowie, Djoum, Brandon and Burns can all cover here)

Centre Forwards

Lafferty

MacLean

Ikpeazu

Currie

Keena

Roy

Sammon

(Zanatta and Henderson can cover here)

Craig himself has stated his desire publicly to sign Naismith, Adao, Milinkovic and Mitchell as well as an extra centre half and an extra keeper, we may need two centre halfs if Hughes decides to retire

In addition to the above I personally really hope to see a relatively quality centre mid come in before the end of August

Martin, Sammon and Callachan should be invited to leave imo, whether they chose to is a different matter 

I'd keep Callahan for the squad, although he may find chances more limited.

On 29/05/2018 at 20:23, Ali Lawrie said:

David Wotherspoon and Steven Anderson, surely John Murray is on the wind up 

Who said we're after them?

It's said to be Jason Kerr who is in France just now with Scotland U21s playing in the win over the hosts today. 

Famous 1874
6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Who said we're after them?

It's said to be Jason Kerr who is in France just now with Scotland U21s playing in the win over the hosts today. 

Just saw those names pop up on the thread, no clue if they were targeted or not.

8 minutes ago, Ali Lawrie said:

Just saw those names pop up on the thread, no clue if they were targeted or not.

Then here's another name 

That is credible 

Danny Swanson 

Alex Kintner
8 minutes ago, droid said:

Where’s the Jason Kerr chat coming from?

I’ve got a pretty solid source who says we’re looking at him. 

5 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

??

20 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

The worry is that someone comes in and makes a sizeable offer for Souttar

Kerry is clearly young but would appear to have potential. Quite possibly in the mould of Souttar 

Alex Kintner
3 minutes ago, Spencer said:

The worry is that someone comes in and makes a sizeable offer for Souttar

Kerry is clearly young but would appear to have potential. Quite possibly in the mould of Souttar 

One thing I’d really trust Levein to do is spot a talented young defender after what happened with Webster, Berra and Souttar

1 minute ago, Frank1874 said:

One thing I’d really trust Levein to do is spot a talented young defender after what happened with Webster, Berra and Souttar

Absolutely. You would imagine a fee would be payable though. Which is what makes me wonder if something might be in the wind re Souttar. Would need an experienced option in addition to Kerr were Souttar to leave 

Edited by Spencer

Famous 1874
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Then here's another name 

That is credible 

Danny Swanson 

?

1 hour ago, Spencer said:

Absolutely. You would imagine a fee would be payable though. Which is what makes me wonder if something might be in the wind re Souttar. Would need an experienced option in addition to Kerr were Souttar to leave 

I hope you're wrong re Souttar but I too would imagine a fee would be payable for Kerr.

I don't know how much Hammy was sold for nor whether we qualify through add-ons with Dr Funk now playing in EPL but maybe these two situations  together could provide a suitable fee without selling Souttar.

7 hours ago, Spencer said:

Wonder if Cardiff could be sniffing around Soapy. Warnock quoted as looking at some Scottish players to add to his EPL squad and given Paterson worked out well..?

johnking123
23 minutes ago, Pagey said:

Wonder if Cardiff could be sniffing around Soapy. Warnock quoted as looking at some Scottish players to add to his EPL squad and given Paterson worked out well..?

Yes he is as. Steve McClaren of QPR. They need central defender or two and could be about to sell one.

chester copperpot

Got told last night that Gerrard has asked John Terry up north next year.

That would go down well up here. Tbh they are perfectly suited for each other.

40 minutes ago, chester copperpot said:

Got told last night that Gerrard has asked John Terry up north next year.

That would go down well up here. Tbh they are perfectly suited for each other.

The Chelsea fans who were down in Newcastle a few weeks back and were singing the sash, FTP and the IRA etc and their red hand of Ulster flags would be loving that one tbf... 

Slightly off topic but is there some link between Chelsea and rangers? I assumed it was some sort of hun convention until we got closer and realised they were Chelsea fans :rofl: Total wtf moment