"White Christian girl fostered by Muslims"

Norm

Anyone remember this headline a while back? There was a big furore in the Times and Mail, how the little girl was upset and crying that the families "didn't speak English" and it was tantamount to child abuse. Then a follow up a couple of days later about how the court had forced the council to put the girl in the care of her grandmother and common sense had prevailed. 

Turns out they were full of shit, surprise surprise. 

The little girls mother was actually a non-practising Muslim. The final plan from the council was that the girl was always going to end up with her grandmother. Who is, and this is the best part, a Muslim who doesn't speak English. 

Do we think the writers felt guilty when they put that out, knowing that the facts were so twisted the story was practically a fairytale? 

Media in this nation make up all kinds of utter gobshite to push their agenda.

The regulator is pathetically weak and very, very slow to come to decisions.

By the time the papers have to admit it was bollocks, it's too late, as public perception has locked in the fake news as "fact".

Newspapers always hide their "clarifications" (never apology, mind) on page 14 in a tiny wee box.

IMO they should be made to print apologies and retractions on the same page as the original article and take up the same amount of space on that page.

At least the Express, one of the worst offenders for this kind of thing, has changed hands and looks to be changing for the better.

Why would it matter the religion of the foster parents? Surely they would be under the instructions to respect the girl in questions religion before any adoption takes place?

Sorry if I am totally wrong here as I am unfamiliar with the story.

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Why would it matter the religion of the foster parents? Surely they would be under the instructions to respect the girl in questions religion before any adoption takes place?

Does every other parent respect their own child's religious beliefs like? Or are they pretty much all pushed onto their child before they can make their own mind up?

AlphonseCapone
26 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Does every other parent respect their own child's religious beliefs like? Or are they pretty much all pushed onto their child before they can make their own mind up?

You aren't wrong but it's easier to dictate to a foster parent than a biological parent in the sense that the council has control of whether a foster parent gets the child or not. No such controls on folk just having children unfortunately. 

18 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

You aren't wrong but it's easier to dictate to a foster parent than a biological parent in the sense that the council has control of whether a foster parent gets the child or not. No such controls on folk just having children unfortunately. 

You are right. But on what basis could a council reject foster parents based on their religion and the way of life they choose to bring the child up?

Not speaking the same language would be a genuine concern if the child had already developed language skills though.

2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

iirc the original story said something like the little girl who IIRC was christian could not eat bacon, or wear a crucifix. So the original stories were used to beat a certain religion with a stick

7 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

iirc the original story said something like the little girl who IIRC was christian could not eat bacon, or wear a crucifix. So the original stories were used to beat a certain religion with a stick

I could be wrong but I seem to remember the original reports were saying this was a stupid decision as the girl could live with her grandmother instead, whilst completely ignoring the fact her grandmother was Muslim and couldn't speak English. 

31 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

I could be wrong but I seem to remember the original reports were saying this was a stupid decision as the girl could live with her grandmother instead, whilst completely ignoring the fact her grandmother was Muslim and couldn't speak English. 

i think that was also part of it as well

shaun.lawson
8 hours ago, Cade said:

Media in this nation make up all kinds of utter gobshite to push their agenda.

Yup. 

0*2Ymg98Wo-FGT_PjY.

0*AWGvUcozJ3ceNSnu.png

The second image is from the election campaign, and comes from a study done by Loughborough University. The first image is from an annual EU-wide survey.

deesidejambo
12 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Yup. 

0*2Ymg98Wo-FGT_PjY.

0*AWGvUcozJ3ceNSnu.png

The second image is from the election campaign, and comes from a study done by Loughborough University. The first image is from an annual EU-wide survey.

These are no surprise.     There is an easy solution - don’t read newspapers.     They are all biased, all of them.  People choose which paper to read based on their internal bias anyway so it’s unlikely the media has any impact on folks minds other than providing confirmation bias.

Governor Tarkin
23 hours ago, XB52 said:

Why would they, their writing is directed at people who lap these lies up

Unfortunately this is probably true.