Toronto holiday suggestions

Fxxx the SPFL

Fxxx the SPFL

Hi folks, going to Toronto end of May for four days, had planned on one of the days doing a Niagra falls trip and also the 360 restaurant at the CN Tower but the food seems to get mixed reviews on trip adviser but on the upside if you pay for the meal it covers your tower viewing costs and you seemingly don't have to queue up.

Anyone any ideas for the other two days what to do and see. We are staying just off Yonge St downtown Toronto in the Chelsea Hotel. we are then moving up to Niagra on the lake for one night and onto friends who stay on the shores of a lake Kashee for four more days.

Stuart Lyon

You will love Niagara on the Lake - very beautiful and unspoilt (at least it was when we were there 20 years ago)! Have a good trip. Visit the Hockey Hall of Fame Museum in Toronto

3fingersreid

It’s not the classiest of places but go to a Swiss chalet , get spare ribs and drink the sauce , the best bbq sauce ever 

Stuart Lyon

Swiss Chale is good although as 3fingersreid says they are no the fanciest restaurants. Try Red Lobster too - excellent. Oh and Outback - especially their Blooming Onion!

Edited by Stuart Lyon

6 hours ago, Ray has bus pass hooray said:

Hi folks, going to Toronto end of May for four days, had planned on one of the days doing a Niagra falls trip and also the 360 restaurant at the CN Tower but the food seems to get mixed reviews on trip adviser but on the upside if you pay for the meal it covers your tower viewing costs and you seemingly don't have to queue up.

Anyone any ideas for the other two days what to do and see. We are staying just off Yonge St downtown Toronto in the Chelsea Hotel. we are then moving up to Niagra on the lake for one night and onto friends who stay on the shores of a lake Kashee for four more days.

Do the Niagara Falls trip prior to going to Niagara on the Lake, on the same day.  Both are worth a visit (although both are always busy), and the drive from the Falls to Niagara on the Lake is very scenic.  From your hotel to the Falls is about a 90-minute drive one way, so plan accordingly.  Get there as early as possible as parking can be a challenge.

The CN Tower is worth a visit, but forget the restaurant.  It's expensive and the food ordinary.  As mentioned earlier on the thread, there are literally hundreds of excellent restaurants in Toronto, from almost every culture on the planet.  And restaurant prices are reasonable.  If you feel like a quiet walk, take a short ferry ride over to the Toronto Islands.  It's a park-like setting without traffic, and you get a great view of the Toronto skyline.

While you're at the CN Tower, plan on visiting the Rogers Centre.  It used to be called Skydome, and it's where the Blue Jays play.  The Jays will be out of town while you're here, otherwise I'd have recommended taking in a game.  Baseball can be boring on TV, but it's really quite entertaining when you're there.

If you're into the arts, the Art Gallery of Ontario (the AGO), and the Royal Ontario Museum (the ROM) are worth a visit, and quite close to where you'll be staying.  The Ontario Science Centre is excellent, but a bit further away.

Avoid the Toronto Zoo, and Ripley's Aquarium.

If you like roller coasters, Canada's Wonderland is exceptional but, again, that's a bit further out.  Some of the roller coaster will scare you witless.

The weather in late May should be pleasant, and not too hot.  Enjoy your trip.

Was going to post a few bits but Maple Leaf covered most of it (unsurprisingly!)

i havent been for a for a few years (ex lived there for a while so visited then plus a couple of holidays since) so someone what I post might need checked if still true.

i stayed on queensl street west, which is like Soho in NYC, reasonably trendy, independent shops and bars etc. 

I have had dinner up the CN tower, and while people are correct it’s expensive I did it for the reason you posted, gets you up the tower without queues and it’s a bit of an experience to have dinner all that way up in a revolving restaurant.

Toronto is like most major cities, with districts like Chinatown and Little Italy, Thestre district etc. So very easy to find good food.

I really enjoy walking around the Islands and getting a boat tour out to it as mentioned above. 

Fxxx the SPFL
3 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Do the Niagara Falls trip prior to going to Niagara on the Lake, on the same day.  Both are worth a visit (although both are always busy), and the drive from the Falls to Niagara on the Lake is very scenic.  From your hotel to the Falls is about a 90-minute drive one way, so plan accordingly.  Get there as early as possible as parking can be a challenge.

The CN Tower is worth a visit, but forget the restaurant.  It's expensive and the food ordinary.  As mentioned earlier on the thread, there are literally hundreds of excellent restaurants in Toronto, from almost every culture on the planet.  And restaurant prices are reasonable.  If you feel like a quiet walk, take a short ferry ride over to the Toronto Islands.  It's a park-like setting without traffic, and you get a great view of the Toronto skyline.

While you're at the CN Tower, plan on visiting the Rogers Centre.  It used to be called Skydome, and it's where the Blue Jays play.  The Jays will be out of town while you're here, otherwise I'd have recommended taking in a game.  Baseball can be boring on TV, but it's really quite entertaining when you're there.

If you're into the arts, the Art Gallery of Ontario (the AGO), and the Royal Ontario Museum (the ROM) are worth a visit, and quite close to where you'll be staying.  The Ontario Science Centre is excellent, but a bit further away.

Avoid the Toronto Zoo, and Ripley's Aquarium.

If you like roller coasters, Canada's Wonderland is exceptional but, again, that's a bit further out.  Some of the roller coaster will scare you witless.

The weather in late May should be pleasant, and not too hot.  Enjoy your trip.

Many thanks Maple leaf might give the 360 restaurant a miss. We have tickets bought for the Blue Jays match against New York the night before we leave Canada on 6th June $85 dollars but our friends said we're at 3rd base and should have a good view. 

Fxxx the SPFL
3 hours ago, jamie1874 said:

Was going to post a few bits but Maple Leaf covered most of it (unsurprisingly!)

i havent been for a for a few years (ex lived there for a while so visited then plus a couple of holidays since) so someone what I post might need checked if still true.

i stayed on queensl street west, which is like Soho in NYC, reasonably trendy, independent shops and bars etc. 

I have had dinner up the CN tower, and while people are correct it’s expensive I did it for the reason you posted, gets you up the tower without queues and it’s a bit of an experience to have dinner all that way up in a revolving restaurant.

Toronto is like most major cities, with districts like Chinatown and Little Italy, Thestre district etc. So very easy to find good food.

I really enjoy walking around the Islands and getting a boat tour out to it as mentioned above. 

Cheers Jamie 

Psychedelicropcircle

Defo do niagra on the lake we stayed above a pub forget its name but remember it was said to be haunted. 

Fxxx the SPFL
5 hours ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

Defo do niagra on the lake we stayed above a pub forget its name but remember it was said to be haunted. 

That could be the one we are staying in it's called The Angel Inn meant to be the oldest in Canada.

Nookie Bear

I recall spending a day on the islands that lie just outside the Toronto harbour - very chilled and quite a few things to do.

Avoid hiring a tandem, unless you want an instant divorce :mad:

davemclaren

The falls are amazing and Niagara by the Sea is lovely. Got a brilliant pizza for lunch there.  There’s also vineyards nearby that are interesting to visit, particularly for the wine tasting after the tour. ?

grumpyjambo

Should have booked Montreal, Ottawa or Quebec, much more attractive with more character than Toronto. When in Toronto you could be in any North American city.

Went there once to visit family but apart from that didn't like the city.

Edited by grumpyjambo

Psychedelicropcircle
4 hours ago, Ray has bus pass hooray said:

That could be the one we are staying in it's called The Angel Inn meant to be the oldest in Canada.

Yep that’s the place. Remember there being a stool at the bedside to get in it. I’m 6,1?

3 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Avoid hiring a tandem, unless you want an instant divorce :mad:

:rofl:

The Seethe Thread awaits your story!

3 hours ago, grumpyjambo said:

Should have booked Montreal, Ottawa or Quebec, much more attractive with more character than Toronto. When in Toronto you could be in any North American city.

Went there once to visit family but apart from that didn't like the city.

I agree about Montreal and Quebec City, both of which are more scenic and more historic than Toronto, as well as being quite European in character.

Not Ottawa though.  It's a dreary town filled with politicians and civil servants.  But it has great museums.     

Fxxx the SPFL
2 hours ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

Yep that’s the place. Remember there being a stool at the bedside to get in it. I’m 6,1?

I'm 5.5 so I'll probably need it

https://m.viator.com/tours/Niagara-Falls-and-Around/Niagra-Falls-Night-Tour-with-Dinner-and-Cruise/d773-6483NIGHT

If you can find a tour like this it’s worth the money. We got picked up from our hotel in Toronto, went on a wine tasting excursion on the way to the falls.

When we got to the falls we did the maid of the mist which is a must. After dinner you then get the opportunity to change the colour of the lights that are beamed down from above. 

If you’re not afraid of heights there is also a helicopter tour over Niagara which to this day I regret not doing.