Craig Levein: A Psychological Explanation

shaun.lawson

6 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Again on the midfield - is Adao, Djoum, Cowie, Cochrane, and MacDonald really that much worse then Mrowiec, Black, Barr, Jonsson, Suso etc. That JJ took to third and Sergio won the cup with?

Yes it is considerably worse.

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shaun.lawson

• Beast Boy

• sadj

• Alex Kintner

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Escobar PHM
1 minute ago, doctor jambo said:

I'll have whatever you're smoking

the kids are raw, I'll give you that

but Djoum has been injured or off

Cowie a bit past it

and as was mentioned that is half-a list of our midfield- we still had Skacel, Temps et all who would walk into this side

Yeh well I did try to edit it but the comparison between the  players mentioned in each era was what was being made.

Of course Skacel would walk into the team

But I'd rather have Cowie playing with his boots on the wrong feet than Mrowiec.

Djoum is a superb player IMO, wrongly used and injury prone is his downfall.

Barr and Jonnsen were almost always anonymous

Cochrane and McDonald, if developed properly in the next year or two will be tremendous players.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
2 minutes ago, Barack said:

It's not terrible, per se. Just not creative. 

Here's hoping it's addressed rapidly. Recruitment's been...hit & miss (for diplomacy purposes) we all know that. We want someone to fix it, we all do. It happens to be Levein,be it overtly or covertly, depending on what day it is on here.

Personally, I'm not fussed with upfront. Stick whoever you like up there. But if there's a 30 yard gap between them & midfield...it's irrelevant. 

We had folk breaking their legs to get forward in support, and whipping in crosses back with those mentioned above. Milinkovic is the only one, with the desire and ability, seemingly able to do this currently.

Fix this area with quality attacking ability,(Fraser, does actually fit that mold)and Levein will stand or fall on results to follow. I'll be calling for him too,if we're still sub-standard. 

Can't argue with any of that.

One of my biggest issues is it's not creative, it's slow and ponderous, *because* of the attitude being modelled from CL, and not despite his desire to do anything differently. Takes it back to the psychology aspect of the OP I suppose. 

I think we'll find out very quickly next season if things will change or not. 

doctor jambo
2 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Yeh well I did try to edit it but the comparison between the  players mentioned in each era was what was being made.

But I'd rather have Cowie playing with his boots on the wrong feet than Mrowiec.

Cochrane and McDonald, if developed properly in the next year or two will be tremendous players.

Mrowiec I'll concede

NAd Cochrane and Mcdonald will be tremendous- but they are not yet

I am reassured by the way Levein and in particular Cochrane have bonded- head rubs and hugs vs Celtic

It would almost be worth keeping CL to keep those two lads

Escobar PHM
1 minute ago, doctor jambo said:

I am reassured by the way Levein and in particular Cochrane have bonded- head rubs and hugs vs Celtic

It would almost be worth keeping CL to keep those two lads

Both are contracted for longer than Levein will be here.

5 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

I also don’t see the fact Levein has never won a trophy as proof he is a loser, or will not win one in the future. 

Once you take celtic and the old rangers out of the equation, you are probably looking at one cup every two years being won by another club? Sometimes it just falls for you, and you end up with guys like Houston winning a cup. But, on the other hand, you have to be bold in the cup and take every opportunity to get to the semis and finals because who knows what will happen when you get there. We simply haven’t bought enough lottery tickets to give ourselves a chance. 

This is the same Craig Levein who has taken us to one cup semi final (where of course we lost meekly!) in both of his tenures combined. The same Craig Levein who has seen us lose cup games to Falkirk (4-0!), ICT, Ross County, Motherwell and Dundee as well as the obligatory defeats to Rangers once and Celtic twice. Craig Levein will never in a million years lead Hearts to cup success.  

doctor jambo
5 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Both are contracted for longer than Levein will be here.

I wouldn't hold your breath!

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
10 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

This is the same Craig Levein who has taken us to one cup semi final (where of course we lost meekly!) in both of his tenures combined. The same Craig Levein who has seen us lose cup games to Falkirk (4-0!), ICT, Ross County, Motherwell and Dundee as well as the obligatory defeats to Rangers once and Celtic twice. Craig Levein will never in a million years lead Hearts to cup success.  

Also worth pointing that in his three SC attempts with Dundee Utd he went out to ICT, St Mirren and Hamilton and never made the QF. And six months after he left they won it!

Edited by Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Escobar PHM
5 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

I wouldn't hold your breath!

We may sell one or both of them before Levein goes I suppose.

Escobar PHM
13 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Also worth pointing that in his three SC attempts with Dundee Utd he went out to ICT, St Mirren and Hamilton and never made the QF. And six months after he left they won it!

I wonder if Houston played with a bit more adventure than Levein had. Cant really remember much about that particular United team personnel wise

Looking at their draw that year, the won to nil in hard places away from home (Partick and Perth) and put Rangers out after a q/final replay after a high scoring draw at Ibrox, then basically got lucky with the semi draw and the fact that Ross County knocked Celtic out in the other semi

Edited by Escobar PHM

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
5 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

I wonder if Houston played with a bit more adventure than Levein had. Cant really remember much about that particular United team personnel wise

Looking at their draw that year, the won to nil in hard places away from home (Partick and Perth) and put Rangers out after a q/final replay after a high scoring draw at Ibrox, then basically got lucky with the semi draw and the fact that Ross County knocked Celtic out in the other semi

Think you're probably right about Houston. Can you really see a Levein team scoring 3 at Ibrox in a SC tie? All ifs and buts but I'm struggling to see it tbh. 

Pasquale for King
14 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Before I start, I just want to reassure the good people of Kickback that I don't have a psychologist friend named Ben, nor will there be some dramatic entreaty to tune in next time complete with EastEnders drumroll at the end of this post. This is entirely my own theory, based on studying Craig Levein's long career. 

A lot of Hearts fans are plainly bewildered by how we're currently playing, especially away from home. The complaint about the Rangers game isn't that we lost; it's that we didn't even try to win. We played as if paralysed by fear: bizarre, given how fragile our opponents were. That very fear has characterised so many displays on our travels. It stems from the manager - and there's a reason for it.

This is someone who was a world class central defender. The best player many Hearts fans have ever had the privilege to see. He'd surely have gone on to become famous as one of the best defenders in the world had it not been for appalling misfortune with injury, which destroyed his career. People might object to my use of this word, but I regard it as a genuine personal tragedy.

Despite that, he still came excruciatingly close to glory as a player. Consider: as a mere 21-year-old light years ahead of his time, he was an integral part of a side just 7 lousy minutes from an astonishing, heroic league title - which might well have gone on to claim the double too. But he missed the final league game through illness: which some still blame him for to this day. It's perfectly possible that on some irrational level, he might even blame himself. 1986: the annus horribilis he went on to be defined by, especially given he picked up his first serious knee injury later that same year. 

Then, as part of the squad, he went on to either lose or watch his teammates lose semi-final after semi-final: five in total. By the time we finally smashed through that infuriating glass ceiling against Aberdeen in 1996, he was no longer part of Jim Jefferies' plans, and retired the following season. Whereupon only a year later, we won our first trophy in 36 years, and wee Robbo at last got the medal he and so many others (Levein foremost among them) desperately deserved.

For Craig, it was on to management. First, at Cowdenbeath, where he did a brilliant job, and left them on track for promotion, which they went on to secure. Then to Hearts: where he again did a brilliant job in horribly trying circumstances. Back-to-back 3rd place finishes were remarkable; the performances in Bordeaux and Braga, tremendous. Then, a few months into 04/5, he left for Leicester... and only the following season, we won the Scottish Cup again. With a squad whose core had developed under him.

After failing badly at Leicester, and doing a brief turn for Raith Rovers, he turned around Dundee United's fortunes magnificently. Before him, they'd been atrocious for a decade. Under him, they were strong, solid contenders for best of the rest. But yet again, his chronic bad luck struck. Twice they lost out on 4th place on the last day (on the latter occasion, with European football at stake too). Against Rangers in the League Cup Final - the only final he's ever reached as a manager - United were excellent, had a stonewall penalty turned down, led twice, were within first 6 minutes, then (in extra time) 8 minutes of winning... and lost. On penalties.

The following season, they returned to the semis, met Celtic, and extraordinarily, lost 11-10... on penalties. Rubbing salt into gaping wounds, the man who missed the decisive pen was none other than Willo Flood, who'd join Celtic only days later. 

Somehow, United rebounded from this, got even stronger, and were well on course for 3rd place when their manager left for the Scotland job. Then, lo and behold: in their very first Cup campaign after Levein left, they won only their second Scottish Cup ever, with a squad entirely assembled by him. The third time a team he either played for or managed won the Cup so soon after his departure; the second time it ended a significant drought in so doing.

It's not just that he lost two gutpunchers on penalties as a manager, so many semi-finals as a player, suffered final day heartbreak as player and manager, and was robbed by illness of the chance to win the title with us. It's not just that injury wrecked his brilliant career; or that like Hearts in '86, the 1990 Scotland side - whose final game he was ruled out of - were only minutes from making history at his only major tournament either. It's all of this, plus the success of Cowdenbeath, Hearts (twice) and United almost immediately after he left. 

Try to imagine being in his shoes. How would you feel after so much heartbreak, so much ill fortune, the vast majority of which was beyond your control? You'd be devastated, and would probably feel you were cursed. But much more importantly, the sheer trauma of all this would, very likely, scar you so much internally that it'd make you terrified. 

In life, trauma of whatever kind affects very many people. The most common reaction is it makes us scared: of relationships, of taking risks, of getting our constantly bruised heart broken. So we try to avoid risks, we play it safe - not realising that in doing so, we're sabotaging our own chances of the story ever changing. We see this in sport too: in tennis or snooker players who've lost crucial matches from miles ahead, and panic when in the same position again; and among football players (Exhibit A: England penalty takers) or managers whose team, for whatever reason, just keep on hitting the post.

So it's been with Levein. What was 4-6-0 in Prague based on if not pure fear? What have his tactics since retaking the Hearts job been based on, but again, pure fear? The thrashing of Celtic only happened because injuries forced him to take risks and remove the shackles; our equaliser at Motherwell in the Cup only happened because, trailing at half time after an embarrassing first half, he had to make positive changes. But at 1-1, with the hosts there for the taking in the biggest game of the season, he froze; and instead of going for the throat, allowed fate to take its course and again give him and us a gigantic boot in the balls.

This is someone I consider to be, almost certainly, the unluckiest individual working in British football - but whose fear emanating from that begats such a negative approach that it guarantees failure... and hence, his downfall. I feel desperately sorry for him - but in footballing terms, he's a broken man. As, I dare say, would anyone else be after enduring all of this.

The facetious conclusion from the above is: if we want to win next year's Scottish Cup, sacking him now would practically guarantee it. The other conclusion is: it's ruined him. I bear no ill will or malice towards Craig Levein at all; he's been a fantastic servant for this club, and deserves so much more than he's constantly got. But it's precisely because he's just as human as all the rest of us that, I'm afraid, all the disappointments, all the letdowns, have inevitably caught up with him. And that's why it's time to say: thanks for the memories Craig, all the best, but goodbye.

Fantastic post ??

Bazzas right boot
15 minutes ago, Barack said:

Yeah, and signings will be a fairly good indicator.

Again, take Fraser. He's not being touted as a replacement DM. Box-to-box is his game. 

Callachan, imho, will be loaned out. So that's another space freed up. Prince away too.

Cochrane

MacDonald (probably won't play as much as Harry.)

Adao (Possibly)

Milinkovic (Possibly)

Fraser (Probably)

Cowie (Cover most likely

Amankwaa 

Another DM

An AM

Djoum to return, and be utilised properly.

And Naismith (if stays) can also play AM role.

Looking at it, it's not beyond the realms of fantasy to suggest 2-3 quality players in there, and we'll have fantastic strength in depth. Which is what we haven't had for a season or two.

No way we can ask Naismith to play midfield.

If he does any defending Cl will be getting pelters. especially if it's, god forbid twice in one game.

On a more sane note, you are exactly

correct , our midfield is ok but it has little balance, pace or creativity. djoum has been out  and Adao only started playing for us in February.

We haven't a senior left footer in there either.

It's more a solid, dependable type midfield atm.

Once we address his, the whole team will benefit. 

If CL doesn't address this, then there will be no hiding place- his team- his head.

19 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Indeed. So in essence he can't even get through several rounds against much much smaller clubs than Hearts and some anticipate him achieving (with the tactics he adopts) that and beating in all likelihood at least one of the Old Firm in Glasgow. Ok! :rolleyes:

Escobar PHM
14 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Think you're probably right about Houston. Can you really see a Levein team scoring 3 at Ibrox in a SC tie? All ifs and buts but I'm struggling to see it tbh. 

Houston also got thrashed 7-1 at Ibrox that season. I couldn't see a Levein team doing that to be fair.

Ive had a look at that season for Dundee Utd and you cant really see any real difference in the results between Levein and Houston. What you can see is that when they won, it was usually by a few goals under Houston but less convincingly under Levein

They didn't have that great a team to be honest. Very average keepers. A poor looking defence led by Webster who was crocked, a decent midfield with Prince, Swanson and Gomis and 4 strikers rotating and chipping in but no one really busting any scoring records. Must have just been a blend that was right and a huge slice of luck in the right places in the cup

Edited by Escobar PHM

Phil Dunphy

Imagine if we got to a cup final and he sent us out to play like that. 

Imagine it, because we’re getting nowhere near a cup final with him in charge. 

Escobar PHM
5 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Imagine if we got to a cup final and he sent us out to play like that. 

Imagine it, because we’re getting nowhere near a cup final with him in charge. 

You can luck your way to a cup semi or even a final but sooner or later your going to have to stand up and get yer baws out to win it. That's where we'd fail. I'd be astonished if Hearts won a cup under Levein (with the same mindset) absolutely astonished.

Edited by Escobar PHM

Phil Dunphy
Just now, Escobar PHM said:

You can luck your way to a cup semi or even a final but sooner or later your going to have to stand up and get yer baws out to win it. That's where we'd fail

We would have 100% lost that final in 2012 if he’d been in charge. 

Staggered as to why why anyone has any faith in him doing anything of note while Hearts manager. A man who’s happy enough to let Hibs lord it over us in the way they are. 

Escobar PHM
5 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Staggered as to why why anyone has any faith in him doing anything of note while Hearts manager. A man who’s happy enough to let Hibs lord it over us in the way they are. 

He wouldn't have got to the 2012 final and he wouldn't won in 98 either. 2006 was a very VERY good team and even he'd have had a good chance of winning it with them (partly because Gordon,Pressley, Hartley and Skacel were basically running the team on their own by then anyway and would have just ignored the clot)

Edited by Escobar PHM

Alex Kintner
1 hour ago, sadj said:

To be fair to him whatever the reason he was around here near the beginning. Hos style has never changed possibly not even the views or his reasoning. Thats hard to answer. However at least here he has the opportunity to explain and maybe convert some

I’d love to hear his explanation of why he chooses to post so often (and in such length) about a team he has no connection to! 

doctor jambo
3 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

:notsure:

i wish jj was my dad
6 hours ago, Rudy T said:

Or....

Such is his strength of character that despite all these set backs he has continued in football. The pinnacle being handed the National team mangers job, where despite the negativity around one game in he achieved a similar win % to the much lauded Walter Smith.

he's the most determined individual your likely to meet. 

This in spades.

if he didn't have character he would n ever have been made captain by doddie at 19, recovered from 2 career threatening injuries to captain club and country, build up Cowdenbeath from nothing, stabilise the mess we were in post Sm G and more recently step back into the dug out again in 2017. 

doctor jambo
1 minute ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Why wouldn’t I be serious?

The assertions are pretty wild.

Like off the scale wild.

This season has been a bit crappy, we played the first third of it away from tynecastle

we had the Cathro horror show

since then our home form has been superb

its not been too bad.

if you had only gone to home games its probably been quite good!

Phil Dunphy
Just now, doctor jambo said:

The assertions are pretty wild.

Like off the scale wild.

This season has been a bit crappy, we played the first third of it away from tynecastle

we had the Cathro horror show

since then our home form has been superb

its not been too bad.

if you had only gone to home games its probably been quite good!

Sady I don’t just go to home games, I’ve missed three away games all season and, as such, I can see what an absolute shitshow this has been. 

A manager who has shat himself against everyone away from home. Happy enough with sound bites after a scrappy 1-0 win against Hibs, only to capitulate against them next time out. The negativity in the side is killing my enthusiasm, when previously I wouldn’t have done anything on a Saturday other than watch Hearts. 

OP is an interesting narrative. My problem with it is the clear assumption that real success would only have been achieved by winning the trophies mentioned. If Shaun told his story again with the perspective that a high league position and a cup semi/final appearance is success for the clubs Levein has played for and managed, it would be fairer. Nice idea for those with a taste for drama though!

4 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

I’d love to hear his explanation of why he chooses to post so often (and in such length) about a team he has no connection to! 

Who are you like?  What right do you have to judge Lawson's posts or anyone else's for that matter. Its clear Shaun has a great affinity for Hearts even if he has not followed the team in the traditional manner. He certainly has a vast knowledge which puts to shame some of those attempting (and failing) to belittle his views and the way he chooses to put them across. If you don't like reading what he has to say or finds his posts to be a bit to broadsheet and not enough tabloid for you then don't read it! Many people are pleased to see his return to the board and the well thought out and detailed approach he takes to various topics. I certainly don't always agree with everything he says and that is the nature of a fans forum but any suggestion that Shaun isn't 'Hearts' and therefore his opinion matters less is pathetic when he offers far more to the board than most of his detractors. 

1 hour ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

I think so too. The OP does not however. He’s just shat out about a billion syllables per megabyte in order to try and make a case for our problems actually stemming from Levein being some sort of coward instead. 

4 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Who are you like?  What right do you have to judge Lawson's posts or anyone else's for that matter. Its clear Shaun has a great affinity for Hearts even if he has not followed the team in the traditional manner. He certainly has a vast knowledge which puts to shame some of those attempting (and failing) to belittle his views and the way he chooses to put them across. If you don't like reading what he has to say or finds his posts to be a bit to broadsheet and not enough tabloid for you then don't read it! Many people are pleased to see his return to the board and the well thought out and detailed approach he takes to various topics. I certainly don't always agree with everything he says and that is the nature of a fans forum but any suggestion that Shaun isn't 'Hearts' and therefore his opinion matters less is pathetic when he offers far more to the board than most of his detractors. 

Bloody hell. Are you the baby sitter he lost his virginity to? Quite the tantrum that. :lol:

If he posts it on a public messageboard, then other users have the right to point out its a pile of shite, and to apply the same personal analysis to him as he does Levein. :thumbsup:

Graham Thomson

I have always been a Levein fan both as a fantastic player and also a manager, 

He is Hearts through and through 

Some of the abuse he gets from Hearts fans is quite frankly disgracefull, but I agree we have to do something about our mentality and the way we are set up away from home, the Motherwell cup game and the Rangers game are just not acceptable, 

I think Craig deserves next season with his own players and a good pre season, 

But the away form needs addressed and hopefully with the right players in who he trusts it will be. 

5 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

This.

I don’t happen to agree with Shaun’s analysis in this particular case - Levein is a tougher cookie than he appears to think. But I sure as heck value the thought that went into his post. I also find it interesting that his detractors have such poor arguments, resorting to the personal, in most cases.

doctor jambo
13 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Sorry, he is no more "Hearts" than the other interlopers who infest the board.

His opinion on Hearts matters possibly even less that ISTL, who at least attends Scottish games.

You are only defending him because you agree with him

1 hour ago, Barack said:

It's not terrible, per se. Just not creative. 

Here's hoping it's addressed rapidly. Recruitment's been...hit & miss (for diplomacy purposes) we all know that. We want someone to fix it, we all do. It happens to be Levein,be it overtly or covertly, depending on what day it is on here.

Personally, I'm not fussed with upfront. Stick whoever you like up there. But if there's a 30 yard gap between them & midfield...it's irrelevant. 

We had folk breaking their legs to get forward in support, and whipping in crosses back with those mentioned above. Milinkovic is the only one, with the desire and ability, seemingly able to do this currently.

Fix this area with quality attacking ability,(Fraser, does actually fit that mold)and Levein will stand or fall on results to follow. I'll be calling for him too,if we're still sub-standard. 

Spot on pres... 

4 minutes ago, Bez said:

Bloody hell. Are you the baby sitter he lost his virginity to? Quite the tantrum that. :lol:

If he posts it on a public messageboard, then other users have the right to point out its a pile of shite, and to apply the same personal analysis to him as he does Levein. :thumbsup:

Absolutely no tantrum just calling out an ignorant and Frank(ly) clueless poster.  I don't like seeing the cyber bullying and belittling mentality that has followed since the OP started the thread. That he knows way more about Hearts despite the ways he follows us than many who have attempted to ridicule and claim "its a pile of shite" is actually amusing in a way but its of absolutely no surprise as to who has crossed that line! Its good to see that there are a number of posters who appreciate the well thought out and reasoned argument and evidence that he provided. As I said previously if it pains you to read such a post then simply don't bother. 

ford donald
14 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Before I start, I just want to reassure the good people of Kickback that I don't have a psychologist friend named Ben, nor will there be some dramatic entreaty to tune in next time complete with EastEnders drumroll at the end of this post. This is entirely my own theory, based on studying Craig Levein's long career. 

A lot of Hearts fans are plainly bewildered by how we're currently playing, especially away from home. The complaint about the Rangers game isn't that we lost; it's that we didn't even try to win. We played as if paralysed by fear: bizarre, given how fragile our opponents were. That very fear has characterised so many displays on our travels. It stems from the manager - and there's a reason for it.

This is someone who was a world class central defender. The best player many Hearts fans have ever had the privilege to see. He'd surely have gone on to become famous as one of the best defenders in the world had it not been for appalling misfortune with injury, which destroyed his career. People might object to my use of this word, but I regard it as a genuine personal tragedy.

Despite that, he still came excruciatingly close to glory as a player. Consider: as a mere 21-year-old light years ahead of his time, he was an integral part of a side just 7 lousy minutes from an astonishing, heroic league title - which might well have gone on to claim the double too. But he missed the final league game through illness: which some still blame him for to this day. It's perfectly possible that on some irrational level, he might even blame himself. 1986: the annus horribilis he went on to be defined by, especially given he picked up his first serious knee injury later that same year. 

Then, as part of the squad, he went on to either lose or watch his teammates lose semi-final after semi-final: five in total. By the time we finally smashed through that infuriating glass ceiling against Aberdeen in 1996, he was no longer part of Jim Jefferies' plans, and retired the following season. Whereupon only a year later, we won our first trophy in 36 years, and wee Robbo at last got the medal he and so many others (Levein foremost among them) desperately deserved.

For Craig, it was on to management. First, at Cowdenbeath, where he did a brilliant job, and left them on track for promotion, which they went on to secure. Then to Hearts: where he again did a brilliant job in horribly trying circumstances. Back-to-back 3rd place finishes were remarkable; the performances in Bordeaux and Braga, tremendous. Then, a few months into 04/5, he left for Leicester... and only the following season, we won the Scottish Cup again. With a squad whose core had developed under him.

After failing badly at Leicester, and doing a brief turn for Raith Rovers, he turned around Dundee United's fortunes magnificently. Before him, they'd been atrocious for a decade. Under him, they were strong, solid contenders for best of the rest. But yet again, his chronic bad luck struck. Twice they lost out on 4th place on the last day (on the latter occasion, with European football at stake too). Against Rangers in the League Cup Final - the only final he's ever reached as a manager - United were excellent, had a stonewall penalty turned down, led twice, were within first 6 minutes, then (in extra time) 8 minutes of winning... and lost. On penalties.

The following season, they returned to the semis, met Celtic, and extraordinarily, lost 11-10... on penalties. Rubbing salt into gaping wounds, the man who missed the decisive pen was none other than Willo Flood, who'd join Celtic only days later. 

Somehow, United rebounded from this, got even stronger, and were well on course for 3rd place when their manager left for the Scotland job. Then, lo and behold: in their very first Cup campaign after Levein left, they won only their second Scottish Cup ever, with a squad entirely assembled by him. The third time a team he either played for or managed won the Cup so soon after his departure; the second time it ended a significant drought in so doing.

It's not just that he lost two gutpunchers on penalties as a manager, so many semi-finals as a player, suffered final day heartbreak as player and manager, and was robbed by illness of the chance to win the title with us. It's not just that injury wrecked his brilliant career; or that like Hearts in '86, the 1990 Scotland side - whose final game he was ruled out of - were only minutes from making history at his only major tournament either. It's all of this, plus the success of Cowdenbeath, Hearts (twice) and United almost immediately after he left. 

Try to imagine being in his shoes. How would you feel after so much heartbreak, so much ill fortune, the vast majority of which was beyond your control? You'd be devastated, and would probably feel you were cursed. But much more importantly, the sheer trauma of all this would, very likely, scar you so much internally that it'd make you terrified. 

In life, trauma of whatever kind affects very many people. The most common reaction is it makes us scared: of relationships, of taking risks, of getting our constantly bruised heart broken. So we try to avoid risks, we play it safe - not realising that in doing so, we're sabotaging our own chances of the story ever changing. We see this in sport too: in tennis or snooker players who've lost crucial matches from miles ahead, and panic when in the same position again; and among football players (Exhibit A: England penalty takers) or managers whose team, for whatever reason, just keep on hitting the post.

So it's been with Levein. What was 4-6-0 in Prague based on if not pure fear? What have his tactics since retaking the Hearts job been based on, but again, pure fear? The thrashing of Celtic only happened because injuries forced him to take risks and remove the shackles; our equaliser at Motherwell in the Cup only happened because, trailing at half time after an embarrassing first half, he had to make positive changes. But at 1-1, with the hosts there for the taking in the biggest game of the season, he froze; and instead of going for the throat, allowed fate to take its course and again give him and us a gigantic boot in the balls.

This is someone I consider to be, almost certainly, the unluckiest individual working in British football - but whose fear emanating from that begats such a negative approach that it guarantees failure... and hence, his downfall. I feel desperately sorry for him - but in footballing terms, he's a broken man. As, I dare say, would anyone else be after enduring all of this.

The facetious conclusion from the above is: if we want to win next year's Scottish Cup, sacking him now would practically guarantee it. The other conclusion is: it's ruined him. I bear no ill will or malice towards Craig Levein at all; he's been a fantastic servant for this club, and deserves so much more than he's constantly got. But it's precisely because he's just as human as all the rest of us that, I'm afraid, all the disappointments, all the letdowns, have inevitably caught up with him. And that's why it's time to say: thanks for the memories Craig, all the best, but goodbye.

Interesting post and thoughts,Shaun.Maybe you have nailed it on the head,keep up the good work.

7 minutes ago, Bez said:

Can’t you manage anything better than that? Really?

2 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Sorry, he is no more "Hearts" than the other interlopers who infest the board.

His opinion on Hearts matters possibly even less that ISTL, who at least attends Scottish games.

You are only defending him because you agree with him

I don't agree with him about everything in his post and have already stated that. And I'm sorry but you don't get to decide who is and who isn't a Hearts supporter. There are plenty Hearts fans (and fans of other teams) who go to games week in week out who are generally pretty clueless about football. Going to games does not mean your opinion is more valid. 

1 hour ago, Escobar PHM said:

Some Fair points here: Esp about Djoum too many people think he’s crap he is one of the best we have and we do have a few really good players. However imo its not so much hes wrongly used (not by CL anyway , maybe by IC) CL wanted a good CDM in to allow Djoum to move forward (hes not suited in to the role he came in as but rather just behind) He is creative and he links well. Hopefully he can take his time to come back as we hopefully will have depth he hasnt been afforded this season when injured and we can get the best out of him.

Alex Kintner
18 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Dry your eyes (and your pants) mate :rofl:

i’d genuinely like to hear how someone who has no previous connection to a football club becomes so obsessed with them and tries to speak about the club in the same way as the rest of us who have an actual connection to it. I can understand taking a bit of interest and maybe reading from the shadows. There’s something a bit odd about posting all the time (and from what folk have said poating for many years)

3 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Absolutely no tantrum just calling out an ignorant and Frank(ly) clueless poster.  I don't like seeing the cyber bullying and belittling mentality that has followed since the OP started the thread. That he knows way more about Hearts despite the ways he follows us than many who have attempted to ridicule and claim "its a pile of shite" is actually amusing in a way but its of absolutely no surprise as to who has crossed that line! Its good to see that there are a number of posters who appreciate the well thought out and reasoned argument and evidence that he provided. As I said previously if it pains you to read such a post then simply don't bother. 

It wasn’t well thought out and reasoned. It’s just long. He’s put forward the suggestion that we are too cautious away from home based on a frankly unqualified leap in the dark about how Craig’s previous experiences in Football shaped his personality and how it is transferred on to his teams. Total guesswork from someone who is about as qualified as the Dog Whisperer to create psychological profiles. :lol:

Bazzas right boot
40 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

aye, because CL has never beaten hibs 5-1 as Hearts manager.

5 minutes ago, Graham Thomson said:

I have always been a Levein fan both as a fantastic player and also a manager, 

He is Hearts through and through 

Some of the abuse he gets from Hearts fans is quite frankly disgracefull, but I agree we have to do something about our mentality and the way we are set up away from home, the Motherwell cup game and the Rangers game are just not acceptable, 

I think Craig deserves next season with his own players and a good pre season, 

But the away form needs addressed and hopefully with the right players in who he trusts it will be. 

Yea you're right, signings like MacLean will have us changing our style away from home and I'm sure we will be racking up the wins next season.  

I think you need to open your eyes.  Levein is a loser and is taking us nowhere.

One last thing, it already is HIS team!  His whole role at the club was to ensure we had a consistent style of play and that a change of manager wouldn't require a whole squad upheaval.  He has failed miserably.

Young talent has been allowed to leave the club for pennies whilst we dish out three year deals to losers like Martin, sammon, oshaniwa etc etc.  He needs to be shown the door at the end of the season and someone that doesn't have his head up his arse brought in.

1 hour ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Can't argue with any of that.

One of my biggest issues is it's not creative, it's slow and ponderous, *because* of the attitude being modelled from CL, and not despite his desire to do anything differently. Takes it back to the psychology aspect of the OP I suppose. 

Again quite balanced. Imo and this is from my experience the slow and ponderous is because we are trying to play possession and containing football as we lack fitness , and the lack of cohesion is at times a lot to do with that. Demi and Naismith its bang bang bang other wnd of the field. Goal against PT bang bang bang in the net. Because we cant do that transitional phase with no midfield its a case of pass it about pass it about and inevitably we lose it or get crowded out and make a hash of the ball. There is times when we’ve somethings switched on and weve had it and when we have weve played some good football. With the limits weve had this season though its a struggle. With a solid preseason and redress the balance in the squad and team i hope we will see the fruits of the blend of youth and experience and progress

4 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

I don't agree with him about everything in his post and have already stated that. And I'm sorry but you don't get to decide who is and who isn't a Hearts supporter. There are plenty Hearts fans (and fans of other teams) who go to games week in week out who are generally pretty clueless about football. Going to games does not mean your opinion is more valid. 

And you don’t get to decide that he knows more about Hearts than those of us who have supported the club since were in single figures of age. I’ve. been to see Arsenal twice, as well as countless times on the TV... does that make me an Arsenal supporter too? 

shaun.lawson

Well, that's had a predictably mixed response. :laugh: The ad hominems from the usual suspects, I really can't be bothered with - other than to note that one of the usual suspects is so plain creepy, he even staked out my LinkedIn profile the other day. Get a life man.

I want to focus on one thing though. This idea that far from being broken, he's more determined than ever. Sorry, but no. Yes, adversity is often the making of someone - but not this level of it. Not constant adversity and endless misfortune which has followed him round to such an extent, we have to assume he stepped under various ladders and must've met a black cat somewhere along the way. This guy was a young, driven manager once. He's old and tired now - and much, much, much more negative.

My one hope when he was appointed was he could use everything I've written about as motivation to finally get that damn cigar. But on the contrary: at crucial moments, he's a rabbit in the headlights. Above, someone mentioned the incredible brain he has for football. Sorry - but anyone with a brain for football now, not football 15 years ago, would not have taken such a craven approach against opponents in such shambles, their fans were mute on Sunday. We didn't "quieten their fans" - we actually woke them up, so pathetic were we. 

In fact, if the complaint against me is I overthink things very often (fair enough, I plead guilty), then I have something in common with him. Because that's precisely his problem too. Paralysis by analysis. And there's no sign of it changing. Instead, it's getting worse.

3 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Well, that's had a predictably mixed response. :laugh: The ad hominems from the usual suspects, I really can't be bothered with - other than to note that one of the usual suspects is so plain creepy, he even staked out my LinkedIn profile the other day. Get a life man.

I want to focus on one thing though. This idea that far from being broken, he's more determined than ever. Sorry, but no. Yes, adversity is often the making of someone - but not this level of it. Not constant adversity and endless misfortune which has followed him round to such an extent, we have to assume he stepped under various ladders and must've met a black cat somewhere along the way. This guy was a young, driven manager once. He's old and tired now - and much, much, much more negative.

My one hope when he was appointed was he could use everything I've written about as motivation to finally get that damn cigar. But on the contrary: at crucial moments, he's a rabbit in the headlights. Above, someone mentioned the incredible brain he has for football. Sorry - but anyone with a brain for football now, not football 15 years ago, would not have taken such a craven approach against opponents in such shambles, their fans were mute on Sunday. We didn't "quieten their fans" - we actually woke them up, so pathetic were we. 

In fact, if the complaint against me is I overthink things very often (fair enough, I plead guilty), then I have something in common with him. Because that's precisely his problem too. Paralysis by analysis. And there's no sign of it changing. Instead, it's getting worse.

I had a look on your LinkedIn profile. I wanted to see what your psychology qualifications were... couldn’t find them.

Edited by Bez

2 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

Dry your eyes (and your pants) mate :rofl:

i’d genuinely like to hear how someone who has no previous connection to a football club becomes so obsessed with them and tries to speak about the club in the same way as the rest of us who have an actual connection to it. I can understand taking a bit of interest and maybe reading from the shadows. There’s something a bit odd about posting all the time (and from what folk have said poating for many years)

Christ on a bike, "reading from the shadows"!!!!  I'd rather read a thousand Shaun Lawson posts regardless of whether he drinks in Stratties, has Hearts bed covers and knows all the words to the European song than 10 of yours thats for damn sure!  People become connected to a football club or any organization for a multitude of reasons, be that through family or moving for work or something about the history or indeed for the glory (not one that can be attributed to claiming affinity to Hearts!). Just because we are born and bred Jambos and the majority from Edinburgh and Lothians or nearby does not exclude those who have fallen in love with Hearts from further afield. Shaun and anyone like him has just as much right as you or I to debate anything Hearts particularly when he is able to do so in the manner he does. Don't like it, don't read it. 

Just now, Hendricks said:

Christ on a bike, "reading from the shadows"!!!!  I'd rather read a thousand Shaun Lawson posts regardless of whether he drinks in Stratties, has Hearts bed covers and knows all the words to the European song than 10 of yours thats for damn sure!  People become connected to a football club or any organization for a multitude of reasons, be that through family or moving for work or something about the history or indeed for the glory (not one that can be attributed to claiming affinity to Hearts!). Just because we are born and bred Jambos and the majority from Edinburgh and Lothians or nearby does not exclude those who have fallen in love with Hearts from further afield. Shaun and anyone like him has just as much right as you or I to debate anything Hearts particularly when he is able to do so in the manner he does. Don't like it, don't read it. 

You should have taken your own advice before getting wired in to Franko tbh...

14 minutes ago, ford donald said:

Interesting post and thoughts,Shaun.Maybe you have nailed it on the head,keep up the good work.

If he has then Hearts have seriously gone off track in how football teams think. The idea is dramatic as much as anything but anyone in football will tell you psychology is a big part now of whats fed into players from a young age and believe me its not negative. If anything it can be too positive and leads to issues outside football or afterwards.

• redm locked this topic