• sadj

• Alex Kintner

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

jambogirlglasgow
2 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

World class defender?? 

:interehjrling:

He really would have been. That much isn’t open to debate. 

doctor jambo

These threads separate the long term vs reactionary.

as a smaller club we can never be short term

quick fixes will not work. To WIN we need a long term approach. The funds will never be there to buy success.

we cannot buy a team to challenge, so it has to start from grass roots and rear it ourselves. As levein is doing.

yes there will be some drivel, but it is the only way.

its either this or we continue to be also rans.

i want to win the league, and the only way to do that is either spend and bust, or slow build.

think ferguson at Man U . Or cruyff at Barca , or Dortmund .

we need to build a club, not a team

2 minutes ago, jambogirlglasgow said:

He really would have been. That much isn’t open to debate. 

I disagree, he was a very good defender, no more, no less.

1 hour ago, Jammy T said:

His United team didn’t play with fear.

They also absolutely whipped us at Tynecastle a few times.

OP was an interesting post.

Personally I think Levein does want his teams to play attacking football. But if he feels he doesn’t have the players to do so he does go safety first.

We are also starting to see the fruits of his intelligence and skill in getting the foundations of a club - it’s youth - sorted.

Next season is his defining year for him and us though.

We beat them 4-0 right at the start of October 2006 but I’m not sure if he was in charge at that point but he took over in that month.

He won in his next 2 visits but never did again in 4 matches at Tynie before he left in December 2009. Not the catastrophic record some think we had against his United team at Tynie.

20 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

Have to disagree there. He was world class imo too. Career cut short however, a real shame.

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Haven't got time to read all comments but he was playing for Hearts when he snapped as part of JJs plans.

JJ was close to tears.

Hearts need Levein for at least a another year. More risk is unnecessary and borne out of hate

Correct

As for sacking managers for post match interviews, where’s the Vlad ‘special needs’ emoticon when you need it?

Edited by Jammy T

2 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

We beat them 4-0 right at the start of October 2006 but I’m not sure if he was in charge at that point but he took over in that month.

He won in his next 2 visits but never did again in 4 matches at Tynie before he left in December 2009. Not the catastrophic record some think we had against his United team at Tynie.

They ran the show against us tbh. Barry Robson in particular bossed the midfield at Tynecastle.

Edited by Bez

2 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Well I saw them tear us apart twice.

Like rip us a new arsehole stuff.

A Levein team away from home.

Apparently it doesn’t happen.

He was backed into a corner to take the job by Anne Budge who believes in him more than Craig himself. You don't have to be a phycologist to see he never wanted the job and only took it out of embarrassment for the Cathro failure. His motivation was to get us out a big black hole he created, steady the the ship and get back out the hot seat as fast as he can (two years). There was never any doubt this would relate in the main to boring defensive tactics with little risks taken other than blood a academy youth or two which will be his lasting legacy to the club. Id say its odds on its more of the same next season with a lower top six finnish and then we move on to new management and whatever that brings. 

31 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

Bullshit.

Whilst world class may be pushing it he’s the best player I, and many others, have seen play for Hearts.

I’ve seen lots and lots of very good players, I’ve seen many exceptional players. Craig Levein sits at the top of the tree.

As for the OP; don’t agree with much of it. Him being the unluckiest man in British football being a particular highlight.

11 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Well I saw them tear us apart twice.

Like rip us a new arsehole stuff.

A Levein team away from home.

Apparently it doesn’t happen.

You are correct. They destroyed us on a couple of occasions I can remember at Tynecastle. Bossed the midfield and played with pace and aggression that we could only have dreamt of.

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Highways and Byways said:

Bullshit.

Whilst world class may be pushing it he’s the best player I, and many others, have seen play for Hearts.

I’ve seen lots and lots of very good players, I’ve seen many exceptional players. Craig Levein sits at the top of the tree.

As for the OP; don’t agree with much of it. Him being the unluckiest man in British football being a particular highlight.

Yep, pretty much all of this

7 minutes ago, Highways and Byways said:

Bullshit.

Whatever happened to the theory that you make your own luck?

rab obanheartsno1

Getting the lego bus ready for Friday, just shut the door behind you Levein, your an embarrassment to the club

The Old Tolbooth

I like you Shaun, but you don't half rabbit on, I couldn't go for a pint with you, well, not one pint anyway, I'd be feckin wrecked by the time you got your point across! 

Edited by johnmitchell

As a rule of thumb attacking players tend to become defensive managers, defensive players tend to become attacking managers.

Levein unfortunately is an exception, especially away from home, which is where the safety first approach is killing us.

Football is results driven admittedly, but if we're going to crumble anyway everytime we set foot in Glasgow, at least let's go down with all guns blazing and get some entertainment out of it.

Absolute amateur hour shite.

Adversity often makes a person, Shaun. You really shouldn't be wasting pixels trying to further the pathetic "loser" mantra that CL's critics have tarred him with. Probably drawn from the same pool of self-entitled, knee-jerking ******* who hired a ****ing plane when our then head coach had us fighting at the top of the league. Of course I recognize that all Hearts fans want better but there are absolutely no guarantees in football, particularly for us long in the tooth fans who suffered some horrendous seasons, and encouraging this odd sense of entitlement, which comes with a nice big slab of criticism and picking player targets to vent our fury on during games, is utterly counter-productive.  

One thing Levein said years ago which struck a chord is that it used to be a "siege mentality, an US v THEM mentality at Tynecastle". Now it's one misplaced pass from a striker who has ran their arse off all match and they are subjected to a torrent of abuse and decried as lazy. 

Many exceptional sportsmen and women have not gained the success they deserved, for myriad reasons. I very much doubt Colin Montgomery wanders about the place to this day crying when he can't open a difficult bottle top and wailing "I'm a failure at everything". Craig may have regrets over the odd mistake that was costly or the thin sliver of luck (or in the Utd final, clear bias from McCurry) that can steal success away from you at the death, but that's it. 

If his mentality is as weak as you are trying to claim, then surely that would have permeated right through the club and our championship romp should have been a disaster, the rebuild of the footballing academy should be seeing weak, timid youngsters looking scared when they come on to the pitch.

It's none of those things. Levein builds his teams from the back and tries to instill discipline and resolve first and foremost. He's done that with us at home, that is not even up for debate. 

Away from home we simply lack players who can come up with a spark of inspiration to cut through 20 minutes of a team doggedly defending or, if we haven't got started as often happens in many away games - the away team struggles for possession and influence and then - wham - turns the game (the old firm used to be masters at this, absorbing the home team throwing everything at them for the first 15-20 minutes and wearing themselves out) for them and go on to win. We also lack pace which leaves us predictable and without a breakaway out-ball which is very important away from home.

The only question mark for me really is really does he still have that belligerent fire in his belly. If he does, and he makes smart decisions in the transfer market, he will have everything he needs to succeed having done the hard work off the field. Like most managers, he now has a close season, a transfer window and a fantastic platform. For those of us who believe/hope he still has it, we will see won't we. For those who don't, then surely they will at least be assured that this will be his one chance and that he will have absolutely no excuses if it goes wrong. 

7 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Before I start, I just want to reassure the good people of Kickback that I don't have a psychologist friend named Ben, nor will there be some dramatic entreaty to tune in next time complete with EastEnders drumroll at the end of this post. This is entirely my own theory, based on studying Craig Levein's long career. 

A lot of Hearts fans are plainly bewildered by how we're currently playing, especially away from home. The complaint about the Rangers game isn't that we lost; it's that we didn't even try to win. We played as if paralysed by fear: bizarre, given how fragile our opponents were. That very fear has characterised so many displays on our travels. It stems from the manager - and there's a reason for it.

This is someone who was a world class central defender. The best player many Hearts fans have ever had the privilege to see. He'd surely have gone on to become famous as one of the best defenders in the world had it not been for appalling misfortune with injury, which destroyed his career. People might object to my use of this word, but I regard it as a genuine personal tragedy.

Despite that, he still came excruciatingly close to glory as a player. Consider: as a mere 21-year-old light years ahead of his time, he was an integral part of a side just 7 lousy minutes from an astonishing, heroic league title - which might well have gone on to claim the double too. But he missed the final league game through illness: which some still blame him for to this day. It's perfectly possible that on some irrational level, he might even blame himself. 1986: the annus horribilis he went on to be defined by, especially given he picked up his first serious knee injury later that same year. 

Then, as part of the squad, he went on to either lose or watch his teammates lose semi-final after semi-final: five in total. By the time we finally smashed through that infuriating glass ceiling against Aberdeen in 1996, he was no longer part of Jim Jefferies' plans, and retired the following season. Whereupon only a year later, we won our first trophy in 36 years, and wee Robbo at last got the medal he and so many others (Levein foremost among them) desperately deserved.

For Craig, it was on to management. First, at Cowdenbeath, where he did a brilliant job, and left them on track for promotion, which they went on to secure. Then to Hearts: where he again did a brilliant job in horribly trying circumstances. Back-to-back 3rd place finishes were remarkable; the performances in Bordeaux and Braga, tremendous. Then, a few months into 04/5, he left for Leicester... and only the following season, we won the Scottish Cup again. With a squad whose core had developed under him.

After failing badly at Leicester, and doing a brief turn for Raith Rovers, he turned around Dundee United's fortunes magnificently. Before him, they'd been atrocious for a decade. Under him, they were strong, solid contenders for best of the rest. But yet again, his chronic bad luck struck. Twice they lost out on 4th place on the last day (on the latter occasion, with European football at stake too). Against Rangers in the League Cup Final - the only final he's ever reached as a manager - United were excellent, had a stonewall penalty turned down, led twice, were within first 6 minutes, then (in extra time) 8 minutes of winning... and lost. On penalties.

The following season, they returned to the semis, met Celtic, and extraordinarily, lost 11-10... on penalties. Rubbing salt into gaping wounds, the man who missed the decisive pen was none other than Willo Flood, who'd join Celtic only days later. 

Somehow, United rebounded from this, got even stronger, and were well on course for 3rd place when their manager left for the Scotland job. Then, lo and behold: in their very first Cup campaign after Levein left, they won only their second Scottish Cup ever, with a squad entirely assembled by him. The third time a team he either played for or managed won the Cup so soon after his departure; the second time it ended a significant drought in so doing.

It's not just that he lost two gutpunchers on penalties as a manager, so many semi-finals as a player, suffered final day heartbreak as player and manager, and was robbed by illness of the chance to win the title with us. It's not just that injury wrecked his brilliant career; or that like Hearts in '86, the 1990 Scotland side - whose final game he was ruled out of - were only minutes from making history at his only major tournament either. It's all of this, plus the success of Cowdenbeath, Hearts (twice) and United almost immediately after he left. 

Try to imagine being in his shoes. How would you feel after so much heartbreak, so much ill fortune, the vast majority of which was beyond your control? You'd be devastated, and would probably feel you were cursed. But much more importantly, the sheer trauma of all this would, very likely, scar you so much internally that it'd make you terrified. 

In life, trauma of whatever kind affects very many people. The most common reaction is it makes us scared: of relationships, of taking risks, of getting our constantly bruised heart broken. So we try to avoid risks, we play it safe - not realising that in doing so, we're sabotaging our own chances of the story ever changing. We see this in sport too: in tennis or snooker players who've lost crucial matches from miles ahead, and panic when in the same position again; and among football players (Exhibit A: England penalty takers) or managers whose team, for whatever reason, just keep on hitting the post.

So it's been with Levein. What was 4-6-0 in Prague based on if not pure fear? What have his tactics since retaking the Hearts job been based on, but again, pure fear? The thrashing of Celtic only happened because injuries forced him to take risks and remove the shackles; our equaliser at Motherwell in the Cup only happened because, trailing at half time after an embarrassing first half, he had to make positive changes. But at 1-1, with the hosts there for the taking in the biggest game of the season, he froze; and instead of going for the throat, allowed fate to take its course and again give him and us a gigantic boot in the balls.

This is someone I consider to be, almost certainly, the unluckiest individual working in British football - but whose fear emanating from that begats such a negative approach that it guarantees failure... and hence, his downfall. I feel desperately sorry for him - but in footballing terms, he's a broken man. As, I dare say, would anyone else be after enduring all of this.

The facetious conclusion from the above is: if we want to win next year's Scottish Cup, sacking him now would practically guarantee it. The other conclusion is: it's ruined him. I bear no ill will or malice towards Craig Levein at all; he's been a fantastic servant for this club, and deserves so much more than he's constantly got. But it's precisely because he's just as human as all the rest of us that, I'm afraid, all the disappointments, all the letdowns, have inevitably caught up with him. And that's why it's time to say: thanks for the memories Craig, all the best, but goodbye.

So in summary what you're saying is if we punt him now we will win the cup next season?

I'm in.

Nookie Bear
4 minutes ago, johnmitchell said:

I like you Shaun, but you don't have rabbit on, I couldn't go for a pint with you, well, not one pint anyway, I'd be feckin wrecked by the time you got your point across! 

He should get together with Csaba for a podcast.

grumpyespana

I think like myself many supporters are not happy with the way Craig sets us up away from home, I said on sunday morning that I hope he would have a go at Sevco as they were all over the place but it did not happen. As for Craig getting another window most of us would agree  and I expect Anne would be in the same boat so I hope he improves us next season or I can see him booted out off the job if he fails hopefully not guys.

Nookie Bear

I really do not see anything wrong with Levein's psyche, his mental state or anything like that. He simply wants his teams to play in a style and tempo that is not particularly dynamic, and is particularly problematic away from home.

7 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Adversity often makes a person, Shaun. You really shouldn't be wasting pixels trying to further the pathetic "loser" mantra that CL's critics have tarred him with. Probably drawn from the same pool of self-entitled, knee-jerking ******* who hired a ****ing plane when our then head coach had us fighting at the top of the league. Of course I recognize that all Hearts fans want better but there are absolutely no guarantees in football, particularly for us long in the tooth fans who suffered some horrendous seasons, and encouraging this odd sense of entitlement, which comes with a nice big slab of criticism and picking player targets to vent our fury on during games, is utterly counter-productive.  

One thing Levein said years ago which struck a chord is that it used to be a "siege mentality, an US v THEM mentality at Tynecastle". Now it's one misplaced pass from a striker who has ran their arse off all match and they are subjected to a torrent of abuse and decried as lazy. 

Many exceptional sportsmen and women have not gained the success they deserved, for myriad reasons. I very much doubt Colin Montgomery wanders about the place to this day crying when he can't open a difficult bottle top and wailing "I'm a failure at everything". Craig may have regrets over the odd mistake that was costly or the thin sliver of luck (or in the Utd final, clear bias from McCurry) that can steal success away from you at the death, but that's it. 

If his mentality is as weak as you are trying to claim, then surely that would have permeated right through the club and our championship romp should have been a disaster, the rebuild of the footballing academy should be seeing weak, timid youngsters looking scared when they come on to the pitch.

It's none of those things. Levein builds his teams from the back and tries to instill discipline and resolve first and foremost. He's done that with us at home, that is not even up for debate. 

Away from home we simply lack players who can come up with a spark of inspiration to cut through 20 minutes of a team doggedly defending or, if we haven't got started as often happens in many away games - the away team struggles for possession and influence and then - wham - turns the game (the old firm used to be masters at this, absorbing the home team throwing everything at them for the first 15-20 minutes and wearing themselves out) for them and go on to win. We also lack pace which leaves us predictable and without a breakaway out-ball which is very important away from home.

The only question mark for me really is really does he still have that belligerent fire in his belly. If he does, and he makes smart decisions in the transfer market, he will have everything he needs to succeed having done the hard work off the field. Like most managers, he now has a close season, a transfer window and a fantastic platform. For those of us who believe/hope he still has it, we will see won't we. For those who don't, then surely they will at least be assured that this will be his one chance and that he will have absolutely no excuses if it goes wrong. 

Can not argue with any of this.

Takes a lot of bottle to manage a club. Takes even more bottle to manage a club like Hearts where expectations are ridiculously  high. CL stood up to the plate. 

5 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Very often, yes. It was difficult to do that in this case, though - because my theory requires evidence. So I set it out, in detail. 

You can't win on here get to the point and you are asked for eveidence. Give the evidence and it's too long to read.:thumb:

The Old Tolbooth
9 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

He should get together with Csaba for a podcast.

Oh gawd! :o 

3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I really do not see anything wrong with Levein's psyche, his mental state or anything like that. He simply wants his teams to play in a style and tempo that is not particularly dynamic, and is particularly problematic away from home.

The problem with that is that his lack of ambition in trying to beat teams away from home rubs off on his players and they lack confidence in what he wants them to do.

It's blatantly clear that the players look clueless and don't buy in to what he wants them to do.

3 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

sean is also not “Hearts” as we are.

we are his second team

its not the same,

spraff all you want  after internet  searching,  football is bred into you through generations

he’s a nerd doing a thesis on what it’s like to follow hearts

Do you not think the boards a lot better with his input?  We can jokingly take the piss out of the length of his posts (which he handles well), but the place is richer because of his contribution.  I enjoy his posts  That's enough of the lickspittle pish... Norwich are shite!  

Don't think even the Hobo fans would begrudge us winning something next season after reading the OP's post:laugh:

22 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

:thumbs_up:

Bazzas right boot
22 minutes ago, FTH said:

So in summary what you're saying is if we punt him now we will win the cup next season?

I'm in.

easy as that .

just like if we'd went 2-3-5 and 'ad a go at rangers we'd have beat them.

just like if Harry had been subbed , Motherwell wouldn't have scored.

Football really is that easy.

maybe sack Ann, what's does that mean- the league?

Bazzas right boot
29 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Yip.

29 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Excellent post.

:clap: 

Too many CL threads!

Craig Levein and Hearts will come good next season. 

Wouldn't it be great if we 'all' got behind our manager and team for a change!

doctor jambo
10 minutes ago, Elmore said:

Do you not think the boards a lot better with his input?  We can jokingly take the piss out of the length of his posts (which he handles well), but the place is richer because of his contribution.  I enjoy his posts  That's enough of the lickspittle pish... Norwich are shite!  

Not really

Much verbose pontificating , condescension and psychobabble about something he has an opinion on, but little emotional investment in.

Amateur psychology

It would be like me going onto a Blackburn fan-site and setting myself up as an expert because I took a passing notion to them during the SAS days,

43 minutes ago, Highways and Byways said:

Bullshit.

It's all about opinions mate. Taking off the maroon tinted specs for a minute, you'll only find Hearts supporters raving about him, in let's face it, a football league that's anything but world class.

1 minute ago, a11ank said:

Too many CL threads!

Craig Levein and Hearts will come good next season. 

Wouldn't it be great if we 'all' got behind our manager and team for a change!

It's about time he gave us something to get behind...

3 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Not really

Much verbose pontificating , condescension and psychobabble about something he has an opinion on, but little emotional investment in.

Amateur psychology

It would be like me going onto a Blackburn fan-site and setting myself up as an expert because I took a passing notion to them during the SAS days,

The last paragraph did make me:laugh:  I enjoy his contribution 

Edited by Elmore

jambothommo
7 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Before I start, I just want to reassure the good people of Kickback that I don't have a psychologist friend named Ben, nor will there be some dramatic entreaty to tune in next time complete with EastEnders drumroll at the end of this post. This is entirely my own theory, based on studying Craig Levein's long career. 

A lot of Hearts fans are plainly bewildered by how we're currently playing, especially away from home. The complaint about the Rangers game isn't that we lost; it's that we didn't even try to win. We played as if paralysed by fear: bizarre, given how fragile our opponents were. That very fear has characterised so many displays on our travels. It stems from the manager - and there's a reason for it.

This is someone who was a world class central defender. The best player many Hearts fans have ever had the privilege to see. He'd surely have gone on to become famous as one of the best defenders in the world had it not been for appalling misfortune with injury, which destroyed his career. People might object to my use of this word, but I regard it as a genuine personal tragedy.

Despite that, he still came excruciatingly close to glory as a player. Consider: as a mere 21-year-old light years ahead of his time, he was an integral part of a side just 7 lousy minutes from an astonishing, heroic league title - which might well have gone on to claim the double too. But he missed the final league game through illness: which some still blame him for to this day. It's perfectly possible that on some irrational level, he might even blame himself. 1986: the annus horribilis he went on to be defined by, especially given he picked up his first serious knee injury later that same year. 

Then, as part of the squad, he went on to either lose or watch his teammates lose semi-final after semi-final: five in total. By the time we finally smashed through that infuriating glass ceiling against Aberdeen in 1996, he was no longer part of Jim Jefferies' plans, and retired the following season. Whereupon only a year later, we won our first trophy in 36 years, and wee Robbo at last got the medal he and so many others (Levein foremost among them) desperately deserved.

For Craig, it was on to management. First, at Cowdenbeath, where he did a brilliant job, and left them on track for promotion, which they went on to secure. Then to Hearts: where he again did a brilliant job in horribly trying circumstances. Back-to-back 3rd place finishes were remarkable; the performances in Bordeaux and Braga, tremendous. Then, a few months into 04/5, he left for Leicester... and only the following season, we won the Scottish Cup again. With a squad whose core had developed under him.

After failing badly at Leicester, and doing a brief turn for Raith Rovers, he turned around Dundee United's fortunes magnificently. Before him, they'd been atrocious for a decade. Under him, they were strong, solid contenders for best of the rest. But yet again, his chronic bad luck struck. Twice they lost out on 4th place on the last day (on the latter occasion, with European football at stake too). Against Rangers in the League Cup Final - the only final he's ever reached as a manager - United were excellent, had a stonewall penalty turned down, led twice, were within first 6 minutes, then (in extra time) 8 minutes of winning... and lost. On penalties.

The following season, they returned to the semis, met Celtic, and extraordinarily, lost 11-10... on penalties. Rubbing salt into gaping wounds, the man who missed the decisive pen was none other than Willo Flood, who'd join Celtic only days later. 

Somehow, United rebounded from this, got even stronger, and were well on course for 3rd place when their manager left for the Scotland job. Then, lo and behold: in their very first Cup campaign after Levein left, they won only their second Scottish Cup ever, with a squad entirely assembled by him. The third time a team he either played for or managed won the Cup so soon after his departure; the second time it ended a significant drought in so doing.

It's not just that he lost two gutpunchers on penalties as a manager, so many semi-finals as a player, suffered final day heartbreak as player and manager, and was robbed by illness of the chance to win the title with us. It's not just that injury wrecked his brilliant career; or that like Hearts in '86, the 1990 Scotland side - whose final game he was ruled out of - were only minutes from making history at his only major tournament either. It's all of this, plus the success of Cowdenbeath, Hearts (twice) and United almost immediately after he left. 

Try to imagine being in his shoes. How would you feel after so much heartbreak, so much ill fortune, the vast majority of which was beyond your control? You'd be devastated, and would probably feel you were cursed. But much more importantly, the sheer trauma of all this would, very likely, scar you so much internally that it'd make you terrified. 

In life, trauma of whatever kind affects very many people. The most common reaction is it makes us scared: of relationships, of taking risks, of getting our constantly bruised heart broken. So we try to avoid risks, we play it safe - not realising that in doing so, we're sabotaging our own chances of the story ever changing. We see this in sport too: in tennis or snooker players who've lost crucial matches from miles ahead, and panic when in the same position again; and among football players (Exhibit A: England penalty takers) or managers whose team, for whatever reason, just keep on hitting the post.

So it's been with Levein. What was 4-6-0 in Prague based on if not pure fear? What have his tactics since retaking the Hearts job been based on, but again, pure fear? The thrashing of Celtic only happened because injuries forced him to take risks and remove the shackles; our equaliser at Motherwell in the Cup only happened because, trailing at half time after an embarrassing first half, he had to make positive changes. But at 1-1, with the hosts there for the taking in the biggest game of the season, he froze; and instead of going for the throat, allowed fate to take its course and again give him and us a gigantic boot in the balls.

This is someone I consider to be, almost certainly, the unluckiest individual working in British football - but whose fear emanating from that begats such a negative approach that it guarantees failure... and hence, his downfall. I feel desperately sorry for him - but in footballing terms, he's a broken man. As, I dare say, would anyone else be after enduring all of this.

The facetious conclusion from the above is: if we want to win next year's Scottish Cup, sacking him now would practically guarantee it. The other conclusion is: it's ruined him. I bear no ill will or malice towards Craig Levein at all; he's been a fantastic servant for this club, and deserves so much more than he's constantly got. But it's precisely because he's just as human as all the rest of us that, I'm afraid, all the disappointments, all the letdowns, have inevitably caught up with him. And that's why it's time to say: thanks for the memories Craig, all the best, but goodbye.

A great post. As an aside I despair of posts responding to this saying 'too long', 'didn't bother to read it'. Truly we live in the Twitter/soundbyte age. Where any considered argument built up in layers with lots of supporting facts is deemed boring. I hope these posters are never confronted with anything trickier than 'you want cheese with that?'

Anyway, great post with insightful analysis of what it must be like to walk in CL's shoes throughout his career.

The one bit I would offer a slightly different view on. I don't think CL knows what fear is. But I think he is risk averse. Not surprisingly for all the reasons you set out.

I'm minded of Greg Norman's collapse in the Masters on the Sunday back 9 when Faldo caught and passed him.

That wonderful commentator Alex Hay said that Norman never lacked courage, but his nerves had let him down at the clinch.

In a similar way I don't think CL fears anything. But he is irreversibly risk averse. As you say, he achieved his greatest result in ending Celtic's run only when he literally had no choice and had to field a team to attack.

Edited by jambothommo
Typo

2 hours ago, Bad Religion said:

He claims to support Norwich City.

I know more about Norwich City than he does and the only connections I have to the club are that I live near the ground and sat between a couple of fans at work.

2 hours ago, Mars plastic said:

The first half at Motherwell was an utter shambles. Why start a cup game sitting in and not starting Milinkovic?

This is what he said in his pre match interview...'I was going to bring on a sub to with the game just before Motherwell scored their second'. They scored in 87 minutes. 87 MINUTES. We ain't ever winning anything under this guy. Not a thing.

Sad but true Mars.

Or....

Such is his strength of character that despite all these set backs he has continued in football. The pinnacle being handed the National team mangers job, where despite the negativity around one game in he achieved a similar win % to the much lauded Walter Smith.

he's the most determined individual your likely to meet. 

11 minutes ago, jambothommo said:

A great post. As an aside I despair of posts responding to this saying 'too long', 'didn't bother to read it'. Truly we live in the Twitter/soundbyte age. Where any considered argument built up in layers with lots of supporting facts is deemed boring. I hope these posters are never confronted with anything trickier than 'you want cheese with that?'

Anyway, great post with insightful analysis of what it must be like to walk in CL's shoes throughout his career.

The one bit I would offer a slightly different view on. I don't think CL knows what fear is. But I think he is risk averse. Not surprisingly for all the reasons you set out.

I'm minded of Greg Norman's collapse in the Masters on the Sunday back 9 when Faldo caught and passed him.

That wonderful commentator Alex Hay said that Norman never lacked courage, but his nerves had let him down at the clinch.

In a similar way I don't think CL fears anything. But he is irreversibly risk averse. As you say, he achieved his greatest result in ending Celtic's run only when he literally had no choice and had to field a team to attack.

Not sure it's 'insightful analysis' as the OP himself says it's a personal, rather than a professional, piece.  And it's not without agenda.

It's easier to say, 'So and So will never win anything with Hearts' than it is to say 'So and So will win something with Hearts' given that the majority of So and Sos fall into the first category. 

It's another long post that won't force Craig Levein to be moved from his current job.

doctor jambo
2 minutes ago, Haken said:

Not sure it's 'insightful analysis' as the OP himself says it's a personal, rather than a professional, piece.  And it's not without agenda.

It's easier to say, 'So and So will never win anything with Hearts' than it is to say 'So and So will win something with Hearts' given that the majority of So and Sos fall into the first category. 

It's another long post that won't force Craig Levein to be moved from his current job.

Indeed,

I can confidently predict that most future Hearts managers will not win anything

I was 22 years old by the time Hearts won anything at all

and if you strip out the Romanov era - where we threw tens of millions at the team before going bust- we have won 1 Scottish cup in my 41 years on the planet- under JJ in 98

Nookie Bear

I also don’t see the fact Levein has never won a trophy as proof he is a loser, or will not win one in the future. 

Once you take celtic and the old rangers out of the equation, you are probably looking at one cup every two years being won by another club? Sometimes it just falls for you, and you end up with guys like Houston winning a cup. But, on the other hand, you have to be bold in the cup and take every opportunity to get to the semis and finals because who knows what will happen when you get there. We simply haven’t bought enough lottery tickets to give ourselves a chance. 

50 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Not really

Amateur psychology

:lol: 

It should have been ten
4 hours ago, Mars plastic said:

Think Shaun was trying to say this.....

Levein is a huddy who is leading us to more mid table mediocrity next season. 

:clyay:

:bolt:

Edited by It should have been ten

It should have been ten
2 hours ago, innerjambo said:

World class defender?? 

:interehjrling:

You’re disagreeing with that....ffs :facepalm: 

• redm locked this topic