Craig Levein: A Psychological Explanation

shaun.lawson

shaun.lawson

Before I start, I just want to reassure the good people of Kickback that I don't have a psychologist friend named Ben, nor will there be some dramatic entreaty to tune in next time complete with EastEnders drumroll at the end of this post. This is entirely my own theory, based on studying Craig Levein's long career. 

A lot of Hearts fans are plainly bewildered by how we're currently playing, especially away from home. The complaint about the Rangers game isn't that we lost; it's that we didn't even try to win. We played as if paralysed by fear: bizarre, given how fragile our opponents were. That very fear has characterised so many displays on our travels. It stems from the manager - and there's a reason for it.

This is someone who was a world class central defender. The best player many Hearts fans have ever had the privilege to see. He'd surely have gone on to become famous as one of the best defenders in the world had it not been for appalling misfortune with injury, which destroyed his career. People might object to my use of this word, but I regard it as a genuine personal tragedy.

Despite that, he still came excruciatingly close to glory as a player. Consider: as a mere 21-year-old light years ahead of his time, he was an integral part of a side just 7 lousy minutes from an astonishing, heroic league title - which might well have gone on to claim the double too. But he missed the final league game through illness: which some still blame him for to this day. It's perfectly possible that on some irrational level, he might even blame himself. 1986: the annus horribilis he went on to be defined by, especially given he picked up his first serious knee injury later that same year. 

Then, as part of the squad, he went on to either lose or watch his teammates lose semi-final after semi-final: five in total. By the time we finally smashed through that infuriating glass ceiling against Aberdeen in 1996, he was no longer part of Jim Jefferies' plans, and retired the following season. Whereupon only a year later, we won our first trophy in 36 years, and wee Robbo at last got the medal he and so many others (Levein foremost among them) desperately deserved.

For Craig, it was on to management. First, at Cowdenbeath, where he did a brilliant job, and left them on track for promotion, which they went on to secure. Then to Hearts: where he again did a brilliant job in horribly trying circumstances. Back-to-back 3rd place finishes were remarkable; the performances in Bordeaux and Braga, tremendous. Then, a few months into 04/5, he left for Leicester... and only the following season, we won the Scottish Cup again. With a squad whose core had developed under him.

After failing badly at Leicester, and doing a brief turn for Raith Rovers, he turned around Dundee United's fortunes magnificently. Before him, they'd been atrocious for a decade. Under him, they were strong, solid contenders for best of the rest. But yet again, his chronic bad luck struck. Twice they lost out on 4th place on the last day (on the latter occasion, with European football at stake too). Against Rangers in the League Cup Final - the only final he's ever reached as a manager - United were excellent, had a stonewall penalty turned down, led twice, were within first 6 minutes, then (in extra time) 8 minutes of winning... and lost. On penalties.

The following season, they returned to the semis, met Celtic, and extraordinarily, lost 11-10... on penalties. Rubbing salt into gaping wounds, the man who missed the decisive pen was none other than Willo Flood, who'd join Celtic only days later. 

Somehow, United rebounded from this, got even stronger, and were well on course for 3rd place when their manager left for the Scotland job. Then, lo and behold: in their very first Cup campaign after Levein left, they won only their second Scottish Cup ever, with a squad entirely assembled by him. The third time a team he either played for or managed won the Cup so soon after his departure; the second time it ended a significant drought in so doing.

It's not just that he lost two gutpunchers on penalties as a manager, so many semi-finals as a player, suffered final day heartbreak as player and manager, and was robbed by illness of the chance to win the title with us. It's not just that injury wrecked his brilliant career; or that like Hearts in '86, the 1990 Scotland side - whose final game he was ruled out of - were only minutes from making history at his only major tournament either. It's all of this, plus the success of Cowdenbeath, Hearts (twice) and United almost immediately after he left. 

Try to imagine being in his shoes. How would you feel after so much heartbreak, so much ill fortune, the vast majority of which was beyond your control? You'd be devastated, and would probably feel you were cursed. But much more importantly, the sheer trauma of all this would, very likely, scar you so much internally that it'd make you terrified. 

In life, trauma of whatever kind affects very many people. The most common reaction is it makes us scared: of relationships, of taking risks, of getting our constantly bruised heart broken. So we try to avoid risks, we play it safe - not realising that in doing so, we're sabotaging our own chances of the story ever changing. We see this in sport too: in tennis or snooker players who've lost crucial matches from miles ahead, and panic when in the same position again; and among football players (Exhibit A: England penalty takers) or managers whose team, for whatever reason, just keep on hitting the post.

So it's been with Levein. What was 4-6-0 in Prague based on if not pure fear? What have his tactics since retaking the Hearts job been based on, but again, pure fear? The thrashing of Celtic only happened because injuries forced him to take risks and remove the shackles; our equaliser at Motherwell in the Cup only happened because, trailing at half time after an embarrassing first half, he had to make positive changes. But at 1-1, with the hosts there for the taking in the biggest game of the season, he froze; and instead of going for the throat, allowed fate to take its course and again give him and us a gigantic boot in the balls.

This is someone I consider to be, almost certainly, the unluckiest individual working in British football - but whose fear emanating from that begats such a negative approach that it guarantees failure... and hence, his downfall. I feel desperately sorry for him - but in footballing terms, he's a broken man. As, I dare say, would anyone else be after enduring all of this.

The facetious conclusion from the above is: if we want to win next year's Scottish Cup, sacking him now would practically guarantee it. The other conclusion is: it's ruined him. I bear no ill will or malice towards Craig Levein at all; he's been a fantastic servant for this club, and deserves so much more than he's constantly got. But it's precisely because he's just as human as all the rest of us that, I'm afraid, all the disappointments, all the letdowns, have inevitably caught up with him. And that's why it's time to say: thanks for the memories Craig, all the best, but goodbye.

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shaun.lawson

• Beast Boy

• sadj

• Alex Kintner

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He should be sacked for his post match comments on Sunday alone. He stated the plan was to “frustrate” Rangers. Why on earth are we setting up this way in a match where we have nothing to play for? They were wounded and there for the taking.

Sadly, it’s time to say goodbye Craig.

I knew the opening post would be long.  Didn't read it.  Not many will.  2nd post is bang on the money sadly.  Time to go Craig.  Time to act Ann.  This is hopeless.  Two or 3 decent performances a season.  Incapable of performing away from home.

Regurgitating other threads of course.

Shaun I like you as a poster but you take a long winded approach to get to your points.

Less is more.

shaun.lawson
15 minutes ago, dsk1210 said:

Shaun I like you as a poster but you take a long winded approach to get to your points.

Less is more.

Very often, yes. It was difficult to do that in this case, though - because my theory requires evidence. So I set it out, in detail. 

A_A wehatethehibs

A decent post, thanks for putting the effort in. 

But I now feel a lot more empathy for him, I’m now hoping again to be there on the day Craig Levein wins something. 

The picture you paint is that Craig, more than any other manager on the planet ever could be, is one of us.

Next season, without a doubt, is his last chance. 

1 hour ago, dsk1210 said:

Less is more.

I enjoyed Shaun's post, it lasted perfectly with my morning latte. ?

However, after reading Shaun's theory on CL's demise I would like to add that it is up to Craig to break this mould, cast off the shackles and feckin go for it! There is a sense of freedom when you realise that you are truly free when you have nothing left to lose. 

michael_bolton
2 hours ago, dsk1210 said:

Less is more.

I disagree. Sometimes a point needs to be explained fully. Nothing wrong with a long post.

Too much media and communication in the twenty-first century is based on simple headlines or two-minute videos. If a point is worth making, it's worth explaining properly.

I read the whole post. It only took a few minutes and it flowed together well.

If you don't want to read it, don't. But others will.

Mars plastic
2 hours ago, dsk1210 said:

Less is more.

Think Shaun was trying to say this.....

Levein is a huddy who is leading us to more mid table mediocrity next season. 

doctor jambo
Just now, Mars plastic said:

Think Shaun was trying to say this.....

Levein is a huddy who is leading us to more mid table mediocrity next season. 

sean is also not “Hearts” as we are.

we are his second team

its not the same,

spraff all you want  after internet  searching,  football is bred into you through generations

he’s a nerd doing a thesis on what it’s like to follow hearts

4 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Before I start, I just want to reassure the good people of Kickback that I don't have a psychologist friend named Ben, nor will there be some dramatic entreaty to tune in next time complete with EastEnders drumroll at the end of this post. This is entirely my own theory, based on studying Craig Levein's long career. 

A lot of Hearts fans are plainly bewildered by how we're currently playing, especially away from home. The complaint about the Rangers game isn't that we lost; it's that we didn't even try to win. We played as if paralysed by fear: bizarre, given how fragile our opponents were. That very fear has characterised so many displays on our travels. It stems from the manager - and there's a reason for it.

This is someone who was a world class central defender. The best player many Hearts fans have ever had the privilege to see. He'd surely have gone on to become famous as one of the best defenders in the world had it not been for appalling misfortune with injury, which destroyed his career. People might object to my use of this word, but I regard it as a genuine personal tragedy.

Despite that, he still came excruciatingly close to glory as a player. Consider: as a mere 21-year-old light years ahead of his time, he was an integral part of a side just 7 lousy minutes from an astonishing, heroic league title - which might well have gone on to claim the double too. But he missed the final league game through illness: which some still blame him for to this day. It's perfectly possible that on some irrational level, he might even blame himself. 1986: the annus horribilis he went on to be defined by, especially given he picked up his first serious knee injury later that same year. 

Then, as part of the squad, he went on to either lose or watch his teammates lose semi-final after semi-final: five in total. By the time we finally smashed through that infuriating glass ceiling against Aberdeen in 1996, he was no longer part of Jim Jefferies' plans, and retired the following season. Whereupon only a year later, we won our first trophy in 36 years, and wee Robbo at last got the medal he and so many others (Levein foremost among them) desperately deserved.

For Craig, it was on to management. First, at Cowdenbeath, where he did a brilliant job, and left them on track for promotion, which they went on to secure. Then to Hearts: where he again did a brilliant job in horribly trying circumstances. Back-to-back 3rd place finishes were remarkable; the performances in Bordeaux and Braga, tremendous. Then, a few months into 04/5, he left for Leicester... and only the following season, we won the Scottish Cup again. With a squad whose core had developed under him.

After failing badly at Leicester, and doing a brief turn for Raith Rovers, he turned around Dundee United's fortunes magnificently. Before him, they'd been atrocious for a decade. Under him, they were strong, solid contenders for best of the rest. But yet again, his chronic bad luck struck. Twice they lost out on 4th place on the last day (on the latter occasion, with European football at stake too). Against Rangers in the League Cup Final - the only final he's ever reached as a manager - United were excellent, had a stonewall penalty turned down, led twice, were within first 6 minutes, then (in extra time) 8 minutes of winning... and lost. On penalties.

The following season, they returned to the semis, met Celtic, and extraordinarily, lost 11-10... on penalties. Rubbing salt into gaping wounds, the man who missed the decisive pen was none other than Willo Flood, who'd join Celtic only days later. 

Somehow, United rebounded from this, got even stronger, and were well on course for 3rd place when their manager left for the Scotland job. Then, lo and behold: in their very first Cup campaign after Levein left, they won only their second Scottish Cup ever, with a squad entirely assembled by him. The third time a team he either played for or managed won the Cup so soon after his departure; the second time it ended a significant drought in so doing.

It's not just that he lost two gutpunchers on penalties as a manager, so many semi-finals as a player, suffered final day heartbreak as player and manager, and was robbed by illness of the chance to win the title with us. It's not just that injury wrecked his brilliant career; or that like Hearts in '86, the 1990 Scotland side - whose final game he was ruled out of - were only minutes from making history at his only major tournament either. It's all of this, plus the success of Cowdenbeath, Hearts (twice) and United almost immediately after he left. 

Try to imagine being in his shoes. How would you feel after so much heartbreak, so much ill fortune, the vast majority of which was beyond your control? You'd be devastated, and would probably feel you were cursed. But much more importantly, the sheer trauma of all this would, very likely, scar you so much internally that it'd make you terrified. 

In life, trauma of whatever kind affects very many people. The most common reaction is it makes us scared: of relationships, of taking risks, of getting our constantly bruised heart broken. So we try to avoid risks, we play it safe - not realising that in doing so, we're sabotaging our own chances of the story ever changing. We see this in sport too: in tennis or snooker players who've lost crucial matches from miles ahead, and panic when in the same position again; and among football players (Exhibit A: England penalty takers) or managers whose team, for whatever reason, just keep on hitting the post.

So it's been with Levein. What was 4-6-0 in Prague based on if not pure fear? What have his tactics since retaking the Hearts job been based on, but again, pure fear? The thrashing of Celtic only happened because injuries forced him to take risks and remove the shackles; our equaliser at Motherwell in the Cup only happened because, trailing at half time after an embarrassing first half, he had to make positive changes. But at 1-1, with the hosts there for the taking in the biggest game of the season, he froze; and instead of going for the throat, allowed fate to take its course and again give him and us a gigantic boot in the balls.

This is someone I consider to be, almost certainly, the unluckiest individual working in British football - but whose fear emanating from that begats such a negative approach that it guarantees failure... and hence, his downfall. I feel desperately sorry for him - but in footballing terms, he's a broken man. As, I dare say, would anyone else be after enduring all of this.

The facetious conclusion from the above is: if we want to win next year's Scottish Cup, sacking him now would practically guarantee it. The other conclusion is: it's ruined him. I bear no ill will or malice towards Craig Levein at all; he's been a fantastic servant for this club, and deserves so much more than he's constantly got. But it's precisely because he's just as human as all the rest of us that, I'm afraid, all the disappointments, all the letdowns, have inevitably caught up with him. And that's why it's time to say: thanks for the memories Craig, all the best, but goodbye.

How does Craig being part of the team that strolled the Championship fit into this theory?

Decent , more in-depth view I suppose.

The cynical side will say it took a more positive approach from the next manager to fully realise the potential of all the squads he built who went onto win cups. 

There’s no doubt CL has done a lot of good work in his time. 

But for me, largely being pro-Levein over the course of his career, I’m starting to have my doubts. And a while ago really. 

I’m in more of a jury’s out state, not quite there yet with condemning him to the scrapheap. The more Hearts fans I speak to though just don’t see CL changing his ways or style but many others will feel just improving personnel next season will see us step up a level.

Again though, will CLs approach continue to stunt even if we get better players in? That’s the question. 

Bazzas right boot

yeah, another CL thread.

woo hoo.

As a side note, someone who has experienced heartache, bad luck, failure, etc can also be the most determined person to succeed.

Sure there is psychological reference to back this up as well.

The Motherwell game analysis is also honking beyond belief.

After a shite start in which a player literally let the ball go in the goal we dominated the second half. A great save and a post ( or was it 2 saves) and a half volley from 25 yards was the difference.

Said team then beat Aberdeen 3-0.

CL carries the can for cathro, he still is and he'll get the lc and a few games with his team to prove can kick on.

Simple.

Edited by WeeChuck'sHeed

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, McCrae said:

How does Craig being part of the team that strolled the Championship fit into this theory?

it doesn't. 

most of the out posters have forgotten the good work, dismiss the cathro mess and go straight to hating CL.

shambles.

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Decent , more in-depth view I suppose.

The cynical side will say it took a more positive approach from the next manager to fully realise the potential of all the squads he built who went onto win cups. 

There’s no doubt CL has done a lot of good work in his time. 

But for me, largely being pro-Levein over the course of his career, I’m starting to have my doubts. And a while ago really. 

I’m in more of a jury’s out state, not quite there yet with condemning him to the scrapheap. The more Hearts fans I speak to though just don’t see CL changing his ways or style but many others will feel just improving personnel next season will see us step up a level.

Again though, will CLs approach continue to stunt even if we get better players in? That’s the question. 

it is the question.

He deserves a chance to answer it.

A_A wehatethehibs
4 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

yeah, another CL thread.

woo hoo.

As a side note, someone who has experienced heartache, bad luck, failure, etc can also be the most determined person to succeed.

After a shite start in which a player literally let the ball go in the goal we dominated the second half. A great save and a post ( or was it 2 saves) and a half volley from 25 yards was the difference.

CL carries the can for cathro, he still is and he'll get the of and a few games with his team to prove can kick on.

Simple.

In fairness there is a depth to this post which deserves its own thread - not like all the other “sack him... loser... turgid fitbaw... etc etc”

You are having a laugh if you think we dominated the whole second half, Motherwell were comfortable and deservedly beat us. We should have made a substitute to try to take the initiative on 60-70 minutes when momentum after half time started to fade, cochrane was shattered and should have been subbed off it was unbelievable that Craig left him on. He was happy with 1-1 and would have taken the replay, that was our downfall, we did not make any changes to try to win the game when it got to the last quarter.

4 hours ago, Mort said:

He should be sacked for his post match comments on Sunday alone. He stated the plan was to “frustrate” Rangers. Why on earth are we setting up this way in a match where we have nothing to play for? They were wounded and there for the taking.

His comments are getting more bizarre by the day. Signing players he knows can’t run, then this after Sunday.

he certainly isn’t helping himself and although I’m still backing him , he’s in danger of ridicule with some of what he’s spouting

Bazzas right boot
Just now, A_A wehatethehibs said:

In fairness there is a depth to this post which deserves its own thread - not like all the other “sack him... loser... turgid fitbaw... etc etc”

You are having a laugh if you think we dominated the whole second half, Motherwell were comfortable and deservedly beat us. We should have made a substitute to try to take the initiative on 60-70 minutes when momentum after half time started to fade, cochrane was shattered and should have been subbed off it was unbelievable that Craig left him on. He was happy with 1-1 and would have taken the replay, that was our downfall, we did not make any changes to try to win the game when it got to the last quarter.

ref- thread, may be so.

nah, we were in control, unlucky not to be 2-1 up and lost to a wonder strike.

nothing to do with cl, not seeing who the sub was that would have won it for us either.

Alex Kintner
34 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

sean is also not “Hearts” as we are.

we are his second team

its not the same,

spraff all you want  after internet  searching,  football is bred into you through generations

he’s a nerd doing a thesis on what it’s like to follow hearts

Who is his “first” team?

Mars plastic
20 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

The first half at Motherwell was an utter shambles. Why start a cup game sitting in and not starting Milinkovic?

This is what he said in his pre match interview...'I was going to bring on a sub to with the game just before Motherwell scored their second'. They scored in 87 minutes. 87 MINUTES. We ain't ever winning anything under this guy. Not a thing.

2 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

Who is his “first” team?

The World is Shaun’s team. No... the Universe...

:rofl:

A_A wehatethehibs
4 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

ref- thread, may be so.

nothing to do with cl, not seeing who the sub was that would have won it for us either.

The sub was - cochrane off, anybody on. Cochrane was shattered and if you look at the wonder strike, look at cochranes tired attempt to stop the boy - that’s what lost it for Hearts. Cochrane should have been off on 70 minutes.

Nookie Bear
14 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

ref- thread, may be so.

The cup game?

was hardly a wonder strike - the guy nipped in front of a knackered Cochrane and scored from 20 yards. 

Bad Religion
12 minutes ago, Frank1874 said:

Who is his “first” team?

He claims to support Norwich City.

38 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

yeah, another CL thread.

woo hoo.

CL carries the can for cathro, he still is and he'll get the lc and a few games with his team to prove can kick on.

Simple.

Nonsense. Motherwell could have and should have been 2-0 up before half time, it was a woeful first half due to Leveins set up and team selection. Yes we were better for 20-25 mins of the second half, mainly due to milinkovic’s performance, but with 10-15 to go you could sense we were settling for a draw when the game was there for the taking. This game unfortunately summed up Levein as a manager and is one of the reasons why we will never win anything under him. 

8 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

The cup game?

was hardly a wonder strike - the guy nipped in front of a knackered Cochrane and scored from 20 yards. 

Yeah he scores them every week right enough

His United team didn’t play with fear.

They also absolutely whipped us at Tynecastle a few times.

OP was an interesting post.

Personally I think Levein does want his teams to play attacking football. But if he feels he doesn’t have the players to do so he does go safety first.

We are also starting to see the fruits of his intelligence and skill in getting the foundations of a club - it’s youth - sorted.

Next season is his defining year for him and us though.

Nookie Bear

As for the OP, I really don’t agree that Levein is the unluckiest individual working in football. He will himself know he has been almost continuously employed at a decent level and has the respect of people within the game, and now has an elevated role at a fine club. 

For me, a few years back Levein decided to be a more thoughtful manager and saw how the Europeans were focusing more and more on possession stats and frustrating the opposition by keeping the ball. The kick and rush of Scottish football was beneath him, to be replaced by a slow, methodical, tempo. 

But it wont work here because we can never recruit the players you need to make that work. He also seemed to overlook how hard those teams worked to get the ball back. Even Brendan Rodgers, who obsessed over possession, knows you need to get forward quickly and create chances. 

And what happened? Football moves on and it’s about winning the ball in midfield and breaking at pace, creating chances. Even Pep has developed into a different manager, and guys like Klopp and Pochettino live by this method. 

Levein is outdated, would be an excellent academy director where they can focus on technique and keeping the ball, but does not want to coach or motivate his teams into an effective way of playing. 

3 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Personally I think Levein does want his teams to play attacking football. But if he feels he doesn’t have the players to do so he does go safety first.

We are also starting to see the fruits of his intelligence and skill in getting the foundations of a club - it’s youth - sorted.

Restores my faith a bit. Fourth paragraph nails it for me. 

Re your third paragraph, I assume you mean interesting in the same way as traincrash is?

Edited by Bez

Nookie Bear
3 minutes ago, Jambos1983 said:

Yeah he scores them every week right enough

No of course, but he won himself a free hit 20 yards out. It happens. 

We we had put ourselves into a position where we were defending a 1-1 shoreline with 5 minutes to go, and that leaves you open to “wonder strikes”

Unknown user
4 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Good post

Ron Burgundy
21 minutes ago, Mars plastic said:

The first half at Motherwell was an utter shambles. Why start a cup game sitting in and not starting Milinkovic?

This is what he said in his pre match interview...'I was going to bring on a sub to with the game just before Motherwell scored their second'. They scored in 87 minutes. 87 MINUTES. We ain't ever winning anything under this guy. Not a thing.

Correct and only an idiot could think he could ever win us a cup.

He just will not have a go away from home and we are never winning 2 Hampden away days if we can't even gave a go at places like Dundee FFS.

I honestly don't know what is going on in his head, complete shitebag or trying to be a master chess player. Time to go now, no chances to feck up another season.

We laughed at the vermin finishing 21 points behind us in the championship, they could well beat that this season.

He has to go in the close season.

5 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

The other conclusion is: it's ruined him.

Whilst I don't necessarily buy this, it's also reasonable to assume that our history can and often does shape us.  You didn't mention CL's derby record which, by his own admission, is unbelievable. However, that hasn't driven him on to go for the jugular in games v Hibs. We've not looked liked winning either game at Easter Road, the league game at Tynecastle we probably should have lost (saved by the linesman) and the cup game could have gone either way, although admittedly we deserved not to lose.  And that's what it all seems to come back to in big games or away games; not losing, rather than winning.

6 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

An excellent retort to a rambling what is already known OP. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Haven't got time to read all comments but he was playing for Hearts when he snapped as part of JJs plans.

JJ was close to tears.

Hearts need Levein for at least a another year. More risk is unnecessary and borne out of hate

4 hours ago, Mort said:

It was the right strategy and but for our own lack of creativity and confidence away from home it would have worked.

Rangers were at home. In front of a crowd who expected a reaction for the shite served up in the OF derby.

So they did as they would be expected to do and came out like a hurricane to try and make a point.

However, the way we set up we frustrated rangers and as a result they could not score and quickly fell flat. Soon as that happened their own fans became frustrated also and turned on the team. 

That was the moment when we could have taken advantage of their low confidence and stuck the knife in but we didn't do it. 

This is where Levein can't really be blamed. Away from home we have long struggled to take control of games. For some reason when it comes to playing away from home we don't have the players to suddenly up the tempo, pull the strings and create enough chances to score. 

Levein doesn't need sacked, he needs a summer to fix the squad.

8 minutes ago, Bauld said:

It was the right strategy and but for our own lack of creativity and confidence away from home it would have worked.

Rangers were at home. In front of a crowd who expected a reaction for the shite served up in the OF derby.

So they did as they would be expected to do and came out like a hurricane to try and make a point.

However, the way we set up we frustrated rangers and as a result they could not score and quickly fell flat. Soon as that happened their own fans became frustrated also and turned on the team. 

That was the moment when we could have taken advantage of their low confidence and stuck the knife in but we didn't do it. 

This is where Levein can't really be blamed. Away from home we have long struggled to take control of games. For some reason when it comes to playing away from home we don't have the players to suddenly up the tempo, pull the strings and create enough chances to score. 

This is it for me too. A blind man can see we just dont have the players in midfield right now. 

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, Bauld said:

It's that obvious it hurts.

29 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

14 minutes ago, Bauld said:

These for me.

Not dismissing the OP, though.  Some interesting points. 

Other clubs seem to have his measure.

Since his failure with Scotland ended in 2012 I don't think there has been any speculation at all about him getting a manager or DoF job with any other club.

1 minute ago, Coco said:

Other clubs seem to have his measure.

Since his failure with Scotland ended in 2012 I don't think there has been any speculation at all about him getting a manager or DoF job with any other club.

Lucky for us. Otherwise he might not have been available to help rebuild our shell of a club.

55 minutes ago, Bad Religion said:

He claims to support Norwich City.

Hilariously, Norwich are my English team and I've NEVER seen him post on their matchday Facebook threads even though he has a fb profile. 

34 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Exactly where I am with all of this.  He has to be given the summer to sort out the mess. He steadied the ship after Cathro and has provided stability at home. We'll be a totally different prospect next season.

• redm locked this topic