World Snooker Championship 2018

shaun.lawson

Victorian

Williams had that frame and now could very much use one of the last two.    11-14 after losing four would be a bit precarious.    10-15 would be comfortable.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• shaun.lawson

• rudi must stay

• Cruyff Turn

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maroon Sailor

Higgins will have to win 8 of the last 10 frames.

He'd fancy his chances if he was playing against Jimmy White the perennial choker

Victorian

Williams missed an easy red in the middle at virtual frame ball in frame 27.   Could be very costly.    Must win frame 29 to go 13-16.

Cruyff Turn

Phenomenal snooker from Higgins to narrow the gap. 

Edited by Cruyff Turn

shaun.lawson

Williams in absolute 

:turmoil:

This is all very Hendry-White 1992 at this point. Can Williams pull himself together during the interval? 

Victorian

Just has to trust his form.   Higgins still needs to win 4 of 6 so there's no panic yet.    Frame 30 is huge though.

Some comeback from the Celtic loving cheating wee wishaw whanker . 15-15

Edited by graygo

Victorian

Williams needs a lifeboat.    Just one frame can reset his mind but it needs to be this frame.

11 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Williams needs a lifeboat.    Just one frame can reset his mind but it needs to be this frame.

Big frame right enough, favourite again now.

Is this the wrong time to say I worked with Higgins's brother for a year and he is a thoroughly decent bloke.

(Jason, John's brother that is)

AlimOzturk
21 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

I know John Higgins has burnt a few snooker bridges in his past but it will be a cold day in hell when I want a Welshman to beat a Scotsman.

Wasn't it proven that the NOW stitched him up? Think his manager was the more guilty but that paper was despicable in the way the attempted to ruin his career. Mud sticks unfortunate 

8 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Wasn't it proven that the NOW stitched him up? Think his manager was the more guilty but that paper was despicable in the way the attempted to ruin his career. Mud sticks unfortunate 

Not having that, saw the video and yes they stitched him up but he was well up for throwing a match.

AlimOzturk

Higgins with an amazing clearance. Jeez.  This has been one of the best snooker finals I have watched. 

I P Knightley
1 minute ago, Wham Bam Austin McCann said:

Arse collapsed on the pink :lol:

:oohmatron:

A proper arse collapse indeed.  I'm pretty sure I could have trickled that one in.

What a shot to finally clinch it. Brilliant player and did I hear earlier that it is the longest period between world title wins? Brilliant.

I P Knightley

What was going on before 1980? Wikipedia tells me that the winning scores were with 24, 25, 31 22 and 38 frames. Did they just make it up on the go? 

Gorgiewave
10 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

What was going on before 1980? Wikipedia tells me that the winning scores were with 24, 25, 31 22 and 38 frames. Did they just make it up on the go? 

94-49 in 1952! It must have taken several days or even over a week.

Victorian
4 minutes ago, Gorgiewave said:

94-49 in 1952! It must have taken several days or even over a week.

12 days apparently.   There was some dispute meaning there were only 2 entrants.    The winner actually won when he got to 73 frames but they played another 33 anyway.   As you do.

Just imagine Ebdon versus Selby doing it.    

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

12 days apparently.   There was some dispute meaning there were only 2 entrants.    The winner actually won when he got to 73 frames but they played another 33 anyway.   As you do.

Just imagine Ebdon versus Selby doing it.    

back in those days you had to play all the frames not stop when someone won the match

shaun.lawson
14 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Terry Griffiths was going on. He beat Dennis Taylor 24-16 over three days - whereupon the organisers immediately reduced all future finals to 35 frames. It is doubtful this was a coincidence. Griffiths' 19-17 semi-final grind over his fellow tortoise, Eddie Charlton, finished at 1.40am.

Hysterically, the BBC portrayed Griffiths, who was competing for the first time ever, as a youthful breath of fresh air. :laugh: 4 years later, he went on to lose to Cliff Thorburn 13-12... at 3.51am. :o:o:o 

There was even a period just after the war when they played on after the winning target had been reached. The 1946, 1947, 1948 and 1949 finals were all over the best of 145 frames, and 1952 was over the best of 143... but the final scores of 78-67, 82-63, 84-61, 80-65 and 94-49 were all recorded long after the contest was decided.

Imagine that kind of nonsense nowadays. "Sorry, weeping families and cameramen. We've another 20 frames to play first".  

shaun.lawson
31 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Come on.   Finish this welt.

In all fairness, welt he absolutely is not.

I'm delighted Williams did it though. All three of his titles have been won 18-16; all three were weird, fluctuating finals. And in 2003, how he survived Ken Doherty coming back from 10-2 and 11-5 to 12-12 and 16-16, I'll never know. Nothing phases him at all. At the critical moment, I swear there is nothing going on in his mind. Which for a snooker player in the searing heat of the Crucible, is almost unheard of. 

shaun.lawson
39 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Was about to laud his baws-oot approach to win.  :(

And then he made THAT red to kick his winning effort off. Just staggering. 

Gorgiewave
1 hour ago, shaun.lawson said:

Terry Griffiths was going on. He beat Dennis Taylor 24-16 over three days - whereupon the organisers immediately reduced all future finals to 35 frames. It is doubtful this was a coincidence. Griffiths' 19-17 semi-final grind over his fellow tortoise, Eddie Charlton, finished at 1.40am.

Hysterically, the BBC portrayed Griffiths, who was competing for the first time ever, as a youthful breath of fresh air. :laugh: 4 years later, he went on to lose to Cliff Thorburn 13-12... at 3.51am. :o:o:o 

There was even a period just after the war when they played on after the winning target had been reached. The 1946, 1947, 1948 and 1949 finals were all over the best of 145 frames, and 1952 was over the best of 143... but the final scores of 78-67, 82-63, 84-61, 80-65 and 94-49 were all recorded long after the contest was decided.

Imagine that kind of nonsense nowadays. "Sorry, weeping families and cameramen. We've another 20 frames to play first".  

I wonder why they alighted on the figure 145, or 143, of all numbers.

Gorgiewave
1 hour ago, shaun.lawson said:

In all fairness, welt he absolutely is not.

I'm delighted Williams did it though. All three of his titles have been won 18-16; all three were weird, fluctuating finals. And in 2003, how he survived Ken Doherty coming back from 10-2 and 11-5 to 12-12 and 16-16, I'll never know. Nothing phases him at all. At the critical moment, I swear there is nothing going on in his mind. Which for a snooker player in the searing heat of the Crucible, is almost unheard of. 

Shaun, lad, say it ain't so!

shaun.lawson
10 hours ago, Gorgiewave said:

Shaun, lad, say it ain't so!

He plays shots with his eyes closed, he eats kebabs and sweets, he watched last year's final in a caravan with some beers, he lets his lad stay off school for a week, and when he wins the title, he does his victory press conference in the buff. 

There is only one Mark J Williams. 

Gorgiewave
2 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

He plays shots with his eyes closed, he eats kebabs and sweets, he watched last year's final in a caravan with some beers, he lets his lad stay off school for a week, and when he wins the title, he does his victory press conference in the buff. 

There is only one Mark J Williams. 

Woosh!