World Snooker Championship 2018

shaun.lawson

shaun.lawson

Starts tomorrow. And at the risk of stating the bleedin' obvious, I think this year's winner* has to be either defending Champion Mark Selby or rejuvenated Ronnie O'Sullivan. I'll go with the Rocket - who'll always divide opinion, but is a hilarious follow on Twitter. 

Ding Junhui's the player I most want to see win it, and he's the only guy I can see stopping it being a Selby-O'Sullivan final - but I can't imagine him beating both back to back over these distances. The rest of the field are nowhere. And with my record, in no way is that statement a hostage to fortune which'll bite me on the arse in no time. 

Tune in tomorrow for the start of Virgo and Thorne boring the pants off the whole nation for 17 days... but hopefully the snooker will do the talking. :thumbsup:

*subsequent post extolling the virtues of a septuagenarian South African excepted, of course.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Victorian

• shaun.lawson

• rudi must stay

• Cruyff Turn

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I see that Graeme Dott qualified.   As long as it is not him.   Must be one of the most boring and dullest winners ever.   And given Peter Ebdon has won it, that is some achievement. 

As for O’Sullivan, he can be a dick at times, but he is entertaining. 

Ding is good enough and is now (just about) mentally hard enough to beat anyone.    He does have a chance.

There's very few likely winners.    Three by the looks of it.    But my outsider is Mark Allen at 28/1.

Maroon Sailor

See that tosser Hearn has banned football shirts at The Crucible.

That Coventry fan will be pissed off

shaun.lawson
1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

See that tosser Hearn has banned football shirts at The Crucible.

That Coventry fan will be pissed off

And that Dundee United fan. :( 

That's tremendous.    A part of my soul dies every time I see one of those twats wearing their football shirts.    

Lads,    nobody gives a **** about your football team.     

Brian Wright (the Coventry fan).

"This is a disgrace.  Do they want us to sit there in waistcoats and bow ties?".

No.    I see no mention of that.    Twat.

"I'll be there in my top.  If I'm made to change I'll be DEVASTATED".

Will ye,  aye?     Feel for ye.   Twat.

shaun.lawson
6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Brian Wright (the Coventry fan).

"This is a disgrace.  Do they want us to sit there in waistcoats and bow ties?".

No.    I see no mention of that.    Twat.

"I'll be there in my top.  If I'm made to change I'll be DEVASTATED".

Will ye,  aye?     Feel for ye.   Twat.

His football team are likely to finish in the top 6 of their division for the first time since 1969 (!). So you'd think he'd be happy? 

3 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

His football team are likely to finish in the top 6 of their division for the first time since 1969 (!). So you'd think he'd be happy? 

The remarkable thing is he must be a huge snooker fan.    600+ matches at the Crucible.     You might think the snooker would be enough for him.    

Wear some normal clothes ya clown.

shaun.lawson
2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The remarkable thing is he must be a huge snooker fan.    600+ matches at the Crucible.     You might think the snooker would be enough for him.    

Wear some normal clothes ya clown.

You been to any matches over the years? I saw my hero Dennis slaughter O'Sullivan at the 1994 Masters (though really, it was Ronnie, in a terrible mess off the table, who beat himself). And Parrott beat White 6-5 at the same venue a couple of years later. Which really pissed me off tbh. 

Just now, shaun.lawson said:

You been to any matches over the years? I saw my hero Dennis slaughter O'Sullivan at the 1994 Masters (though really, it was Ronnie, in a terrible mess off the table, who beat himself). And Parrott beat White 6-5 at the same venue a couple of years later. Which really pissed me off tbh. 

No.   I think if I went to the snooker I'd last two frames and then develop a curiosity to the see the interior of the bar area.     

Awake.  Clothed.  Near bar.  Bar.

3 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Starts tomorrow. And at the risk of stating the bleedin' obvious, I think this year's winner* has to be either defending Champion Mark Selby or rejuvenated Ronnie O'Sullivan. I'll go with the Rocket - who'll always divide opinion, but is a hilarious follow on Twitter. 

Ding Junhui's the player I most want to see win it, and he's the only guy I can see stopping it being a Selby-O'Sullivan final - but I can't imagine him beating both back to back over these distances. The rest of the field are nowhere. And with my record, in no way is that statement a hostage to fortune which'll bite me on the arse in no time. 

Tune in tomorrow for the start of Virgo and Thorne boring the pants off the whole nation for 17 days... but hopefully the snooker will do the talking. :thumbsup:

*subsequent post extolling the virtues of a septuagenarian South African excepted, of course.

Thorne got his job back?

shaun.lawson
38 minutes ago, Chester™ said:

Thorne got his job back?

Oops, I forgot about that! A World Snooker Championship without Willie Thorne! My cup overfloweth with joy. :toasting: 

chester copperpot
40 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Oops, I forgot about that! A World Snooker Championship without Willie Thorne! My cup overfloweth with joy. :toasting: 

How can the oracle that is you forget that.

I quite liked Thorne in the commentary though.

Actually like most of them tbh. No bias and good analysis.

Oh alright, Thorne was shite!

12 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

If you want better commentary than the BBC, get the Eurosport feed. Joe Johnson is, imo, the best commentator about just now. Not quite sure where Foulds and McManus are, though for the Worlds, they're usually on Eurosport as well. They are also excellent. If they could somehow get Hendry away from the BBC, then they'd have all the better ones.

lauriesrank

Selby doing a henna! lolz, anyway, my favourite player ever is MArk Williams so I have to side with him @20s, although, if and a big if, he can keep it together, brecel could do well, although so many good players it's difficult, I'd say if you're on for a flutter betting w/o o'sullivan is probably the way to go!

Anyway, here's hoping it's a cracking tournament.

Really don't want Ronnie, Trump or Murphy winning it.

If Selby goes out this early you have to fancy Ronnie though. Selby seems to be one of the few who really gets into Ronnie's head.

rudi must stay

Good draw this year, Maguire and Perry are tough challenges for Selby and O'Sullivan. Having watched O'Sullivan for many years and 'feeling great and playing great' it wouldn't shock me if he lost today, he's just that sort of guy but that's why he's so likeable

rudi must stay

Ronnie's playing style is different today. Holding the cue differently and pensively, and unlike him he's taking his time. As Hendry says, that's all down to nerves. Maguire is a tough competitor and won't let up, similar to Joe Perry. People folds against Selby and O'Sullivan and have done for years, those two wont

Selby looks out at 2-7.

O'Sullivan might be facing a similar deficit soon.

Lyu looks some player against Fu.    Very similar to Fu when he first came on the scene.    

rudi must stay
Just now, Victorian said:

Ronnie has turned up.    Maybe he got wind of the shady money being on a 10-3 win for him.

::troll::

Yup, him playing like this. Bad omen for Maguire and he's been a bit passive the last few frames, not going to win like that

rudi must stay

Carter v Dott, this one could go on a few days. Never rated either particularly

Edited by rudi must stay

shaun.lawson
9 hours ago, JWL said:

Perrie Mans for me this year. Long overdue.

:thumbsup:

That's one annual tradition completed. Another - me looking a prize chump and no mistake guvnor - is happening even quicker than usual. Selby 8-3 down; Ronnie 6-3 down. :laugh: 

lauriesrank
21 hours ago, lauriesrank said:

Selby doing a henna! lolz, anyway, my favourite player ever is MArk Williams so I have to side with him @20s, although, if and a big if, he can keep it together, brecel could do well, although so many good players it's difficult, I'd say if you're on for a flutter betting w/o o'sullivan is probably the way to go!

Anyway, here's hoping it's a cracking tournament.

ALso, since I'm not allowed to edit the thing, I outside fancy Kyren WIlson, have been singing his praises for 5 years now!

Ah snooker, the one "sport" outwith actual sports that I can sit and watch. And the world championship always makes me wanna play too. Not particularly fussed who wins provided it's not o'sullivan, a welt of the highest order

rudi must stay

Brecel is an interesting name. Young and talented, and quick, you think he'd be popular for fans and the pundits but you rarely hear him talked about

Keep hearing a lot of people that Snookers popularity is no where near what it was in the 70s-90s. Not in this thread mind but on many Facebook posts and previous threads on there. 

The sport is probably in the best shape it has ever been. In China it is huge and other Asian countries such as Thailand are taking to the game. In Britain it has slid of the popular scale but it still has a big following.  

shaun.lawson
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Keep hearing a lot of people that Snookers popularity is no where near what it was in the 70s-90s. Not in this thread mind but on many Facebook posts and previous threads on there. 

The sport is probably in the best shape it has ever been. In China it is huge and other Asian countries such as Thailand are taking to the game. In Britain it has slid of the popular scale but it still has a big following.  

Agree. Globally, where its future has always lain in the Far East, it's bigger than ever. In global terms, Ding winning this would be the biggest thing ever to happen to snooker, by quite a long way.

It's in Britain where it's in decline. For all sorts of reasons: clubs closing because of the smoking ban, no more tobacco sponsorship, the dominance of football, and people just having far more choice of what to do or watch than during the 1980s, when there were only four TV channels and football was riven with hooliganism.

The sport really was dying before Hearn took it over. He's transformed it and done a magnificent job, as he has with darts. Best sports promoter anywhere. The man could sell ice cream to eskimos.

"You've got to be right in the middle of the pocket"

Dennis Taylor.

Aye right Dennis.    Pull the other one.    I've never seen so many near jaw shots go in the bags with little rattle.   I'm sure the pockets comply with the template but these ultra fine cloths help.     Seen a few shots that would never go in in a million years on a cooncil table.