Bobby Robson documentary

Placid Casual

Hard to not respect him. A great manager and by all accounts a truly decent salt of the earth man. These shitebags like Klopp, Pepe and Jose could not even compare with a hair on his bollock. Back in his day, there were no blank cheques signed by Saudia Arabia, China and Russia.

I’m a totally paid up A.B.E when it comes to sport. I’m comfortable with that. Always held Bobby Robson in high regard though. I only know his projected public persona of course, but everything I’ve ever read or watched about him has endeared him to me. I would have loved us to have appointed him manager back in the mid 00s.

4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Looks like a good watch. I think he once described Hearts as a 'proper football club' or similar. 

:pleased:

The man did know his football!  A really likeable man. Mind when Newcastle sacked him when they where about fourth in the table?  That went well... 

Maroon Sailor
13 minutes ago, Elmore said:

The man did know his football!  A really likeable man. Mind when Newcastle sacked him when they where about fourth in the table?  That went well... 

16th - 2 points from the first 4 games of the season after finishing 5th the season before.

He made the same mistake as his predecessor Ruud Gullit - He dropped Shearer.

Kieron Dyer was being a prick with Robson at the time as well - refusing to play on the wing.

Edited by Maroon Sailor

2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

16th - 2 points from the first 4 games of the season after finishing 5th the season before.

He made the same mistake as his predecessor Ruud Gullit - He dropped Shearer.

Kieron Dyer was being a prick with Robson at the time as well - refusing to play on the wing.

Was Robson the manager when Dyer and Boywer started boxing?

Placid Casual
41 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Hard to not respect him. A great manager and by all accounts a truly decent salt of the earth man. These shitebags like Klopp, Pepe and Jose could not even compare with a hair on his bollock. Back in his day, there were no blank cheques signed by Saudia Arabia, China and Russia.

Yes, he was a very decent man. Disagree on what you say about Klopp and Pep. I really enjoying listening to them talk football. Fantastic managers, and both come across as good blokes.

Great interview with Klopp here. I always skip the bits when Graham Hunter talks. Can’t be the only one...

https://grahamhunter.tv/1930-2

Edited by Placid Casual

Not normally one to feel emotion over an advert or what-have-you, and as I previously stated, I’m very much A.B.E, but...

That advert from a few years ago when some shite lager we’re giving it: ‘FOR’, for England’s tournament campaign, not long after Bobby’s death... ?

”FOR BOBBY... “ *pause on portrait photo of Robson for a couple of seconds - no music*

That got the pulse racing for me. Not ashamed to admit that. ?

30 minutes ago, westbow said:

Souness?

Aye it was Souness, apparently challenged the pair of them to a square go after the game.

Robson was a class act, amazing the job he did at Ipswich in the 70's and early 80's 

54 minutes ago, Placid Casual said:

Yes, he was a very decent man. Disagree on what you say about Klopp and Pep. I really enjoying listening to them talk football. Fantastic managers, and both come across as good blokes.

Great interview with Klopp here. I always skip the bits when Graham Hunter talks. Can’t be the only one...

https://grahamhunter.tv/1930-2

Was well and truly on the 'Kloppy' bandwagon when he first arrived on our shores.  Found him funny and entertaining.  Now, well he is just an irritating shitebag to me with his over animated celebrations.

shaun.lawson

My all time hero in football - which given who my English side are, really ought to say something. A gentleman, a legend, and a fantastic manager whose passion for the game never left him, was loved by his players wherever he went, and who was within a hair's breadth of leaving the Impossible Job with the Holy Grail... which no England side has come anywhere near ever since.

I can rarely watch the speech below without getting something in my eye. He's enormously missed, but will never be forgotten.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/33733024

John Findlay
2 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

The best pub team in the world gubbed Hibs 3-2 when the then manager of Hibs thought he was the best manager in the world.

i wish jj was my dad
18 hours ago, Bez said:

I’m a totally paid up A.B.E when it comes to sport. I’m comfortable with that. Always held Bobby Robson in high regard though. I only know his projected public persona of course, but everything I’ve ever read or watched about him has endeared him to me. I would have loved us to have appointed him manager back in the mid 00s.

In this camp but I read his autobiography and concluded that all those nice things were all true. England never deserved to have a guy of his calibre at the helm and I still can't believe the stupidity of Newcastle to get rid if him when they did

Looking forward to this documentary. I like the distinction of what he did with intellect and what managers today do with intellect and swathes of foreign money. You have to be careful about inferring from those observations, but how good would Pep be if he wasn't able to spend £50m on a sub-standard defender?

I'm a fan of any docs which cover spots managers, especially when they get into the methods and statistics they deployed.  For American Football fans, NFL Game Pass has all the Football Lives docs and Bill Walsh is a classic - why gaining 4 yards on a run is a different 4 yards from a pass. You can easily apply that to soccer.

scott herbertson

I’m in a tiny/minority of perhaps one person, who didn’t particularly like him for much of his career. In fact at first I very positively disliked him. I was living in Aberdeen in 1981/1982 doing a postgraduate diploma at RobertGordons and could only afford to come back to Edinburgh a few times a year. One of my house mates was a Dons fan so went to a fair few games with him. 

When Aberdeen drew Ipswich in the UEFA cup the English media gave it hardly any coverage and it was assumed Ipswich, who had a great team, would trounce the provincial Scottish club. The first game at Portland Road Aberdeen gave a good account of themselves and got a 1-1 draw. The result was portrayed in England as a freak game and Robson made what seemed to me to be quite ‘sour grapes’ comments saying in effect that Ipswich had played very poorly and ‘natural order’ would be restored come the second leg, and in effect that Aberdeen had played way above themselves and Ipswich way below themselves and this wouldn’t be repeated. I remember thinking the comments were ungracious and very much rooting for the Scottish club in the second leg.

aberdeen duly obliged by trouncing them 3-1 including a missed Aberdeen penalty, with Strachan, Cooper and Watson and Weir running the show from start to finish. I don’t recall seeing any comments from Robson afterwards. Robsons comments are alluded to though not given in full in the link here, which also has some footage from the second game.

http://www.aberdeen-mad.co.uk/feat/edz7/mots_aberdeen_vs_ipswich_town_746136/index.shtml

From then onwards until towards until quite close to his deathI wasn’t a fan of his.

however I have to admit I was wrong and it was probably an uncharacteristic or out of context statement. Certainly he is universally admired for being a gent and a nice guy, and indeed from around the time of the games above I now understand that Ferguson became his friend (which he would t have done if the remarks were as ungracious and uncomplimentary as reported), so I was wrong.

Craig Herbertson
On 4/21/2018 at 11:33, scott herbertson said:

I’m in a tiny/minority of perhaps one person, who didn’t particularly like him for much of his career. In fact at first I very positively disliked him. I was living in Aberdeen in 1981/1982 doing a postgraduate diploma at RobertGordons and could only afford to come back to Edinburgh a few times a year. One of my house mates was a Dons fan so went to a fair few games with him. 

When Aberdeen drew Ipswich in the UEFA cup the English media gave it hardly any coverage and it was assumed Ipswich, who had a great team, would trounce the provincial Scottish club. The first game at Portland Road Aberdeen gave a good account of themselves and got a 1-1 draw. The result was portrayed in England as a freak game and Robson made what seemed to me to be quite ‘sour grapes’ comments saying in effect that Ipswich had played very poorly and ‘natural order’ would be restored come the second leg, and in effect that Aberdeen had played way above themselves and Ipswich way below themselves and this wouldn’t be repeated. I remember thinking the comments were ungracious and very much rooting for the Scottish club in the second leg.

aberdeen duly obliged by trouncing them 3-1 including a missed Aberdeen penalty, with Strachan, Cooper and Watson and Weir running the show from start to finish. I don’t recall seeing any comments from Robson afterwards. Robsons comments are alluded to though not given in full in the link here, which also has some footage from the second game.

http://www.aberdeen-mad.co.uk/feat/edz7/mots_aberdeen_vs_ipswich_town_746136/index.shtml

From then onwards until towards until quite close to his deathI wasn’t a fan of his.

however I have to admit I was wrong and it was probably an uncharacteristic or out of context statement. Certainly he is universally admired for being a gent and a nice guy, and indeed from around the time of the games above I now understand that Ferguson became his friend (which he would t have done if the remarks were as ungracious and uncomplimentary as reported), so I was wrong.

On 4/21/2018 at 11:33, scott herbertson said:

Must be genetic Scott as I wasn't a big fan although I am sure he was a diamond geezer off the park. The reason is really trivial. It stems  from disparaging comments about George Best's fluke goal from a corner which is better read here: https://www.veritesport.org/?page=georgebest

Maroon Sailor
53 minutes ago, Theme From Sparta F.C. said:

He was the best Manager we never had.

A true Gentleman.

Mad Vlad at his best

That 06 team could easily have won the double with SBR at the helm

Theme From Sparta F.C.

Vlad did try to get Sir Bobby Robson as our Manager, but he said the travelling up and down from Newcastle would've been too much.

He thanked us and wished our Club well.

It was later that year, or early the next year, that SBR disclosed his illness, and that he'd been getting treatment to fight it.

Sadly it was a fight that he'd go on to lose.