Doors and windows

stirlingshirejambo

stirlingshirejambo

I guess I’m pretty naive as I’ve never spent as much apart from my mortgage but time has come when we can no longer handle the draughts that come through our old doors and windows and I need to get them replaced 

Ive seen the adverts and the special offers!!! also read horror stories from the CR smiths etc bullying you to buy but are they the best people to trust with my hard earned

or is there someone more local, trustworthy and fairly priced that won’t rip me off that any fellow kickbackera have used or know

happy for any advice really 

cheers

John Findlay
1 hour ago, stirlingshirejambo said:

I guess I’m pretty naive as I’ve never spent as much apart from my mortgage but time has come when we can no longer handle the draughts that come through our old doors and windows and I need to get them replaced 

Ive seen the adverts and the special offers!!! also read horror stories from the CR smiths etc bullying you to buy but are they the best people to trust with my hard earned

or is there someone more local, trustworthy and fairly priced that won’t rip me off that any fellow kickbackera have used or know

happy for any advice really 

cheers

Get at least 6 quotes. Also speak to customers who have used company A, B or C. If companies believe in their product they will have no qualms of you doing this.

We used Invision. Great service, cheaper than any other quotes we had. Edinburgh based as well, as I understand it. 

Don't bother with any of the adverts in the back of the Daily Record.

Took the wee lad for a haircut and whilst I was waiting I flicked through a Daily Glasgow that was there, I saw an advert at the back which stated that a 'special offer' was in play at the time  and the offer was 1 door and 5 windows fitted for £1495.

The company was Premier windows at Hillington in Glasgow. I called them up and inquired and the young lady said that they can keep costs low because they manufacture all their own windows and use their own joiners to install them without having to use outside contractors and yes, there was a special offer running.

Sound OK so far.

I arranged for the rep to come out to measure up the 8 windows and 1 door that I am looking for (this was only 2 weeks ago).

The old boy arrived promptly (ex-window fitter who's knees had gone so he turned to sales instead he claimed), measured up and quoted me £4650 as his absolute best price.

"How come there's such a big difference from the advertised offer for only 3 extra windows ?" I asked.

He admitted that his boss puts those adverts in the Record to generate interest and attract folk to call in and arrange an appointment BUT they have no chance of EVER matching said prices.

In other words, its a scam.

What is wrong with these people?

7 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Don't bother with any of the adverts in the back of the Daily Record.

I've always wondered how they got them so cheap and thought they must be rubbish.

The price they quoted though is in the right direction of what it should cost. I once had Everest quote me £10-11k. 

I used a company called Gavin & Wright - https://www.doubleglazing.uk.net

They had a good reputation and did a good job. 

When getting them out for quotes try and get them out later on a Friday night, if they are short of their weekly sales numbers then the price will tumble!

Few years ago my ex was getting her windows done and same company (can't remember who) sent two different sales guys by mistake, one on the wednesday during the day and the second on the Friday night (she was out and hadn't said about the guy on the Wed), guy on friday nights quote was the best part of £2k less than the first quote, with the guy openly admitting that he'd had a poor week and was dropping the price just to get a sale!

Bordeaux 03

I had my whole house done a couple of years ago by Fife Windows and Doors who did a brilliant job. They were also half the price of SRJ Windows who wanted 5 figures!

2 hours ago, Bordeaux 03 said:

I had my whole house done a couple of years ago by Fife Windows and Doors who did a brilliant job. They were also half the price of SRJ Windows who wanted 5 figures!

5 figures? do you live in a castle?

Bordeaux 03
29 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

5 figures? do you live in a castle?

Wish I did! It was only 6 windows and 2 doors. 

When I lived in Glasgow I invited a salesman round to my flat to price a couple of 1m x1m windows - they were bespoke but he quoted £8k! I decided no way, but he would not go until I spoke to his manager on the phone. Manager was a real  hard-sell d!ck and we ended up having an argument, as he wouldn't accept that I wasn't interested, and eventually I hung up on him. He then phones the salesman back and and salesman refused to leave the house. It very nearly ended in fisticuffs...Anyway a couple of years later the same company cold-called me asking if I was interesting in any doors, windows or conservatories. Now usually I just tell cold-callers that I already have doors and windows in my house, but at this time I was living alone and was a bit bored so i kept the salesperson talking for 45 minutes  about conservatories, until finally he asked my address, to which I said "Flat 15, 5th floor..." He goes, "5th floor?", and I said "yes". "You can't put a conservatory on 5th floor" to which I said innocently "oh, so why have you phoned to sell me conservatories then. Are you trying to waste my time?". He hung up....

stirlingshirejambo

Thanks for the suggestions and advice all, and the ones to avoid

Definitely seems sensible to get at least 3 quotes and I would rather have a local(ish) company than a multi national

Cheers

Just organised Lochivar to do 6 windows, redo the porch for £7k. Used them before, no complaints.

Archived