GOUT

Better call Saul

Better call Saul

Sorry mods.. SHED

Last year I stopped the drinking and started eating better as decided to get fit... Then BOOM.. Started to get an awful pain in my foot same place ever time 

Throbbing like god knows what  and then I get pain like someone  sticking needles into my big toe 

Anybody else suffer from this..? Any advice greatly appreciated. 

1am and I can't sleep due to it. 

Edited by Ferris Bueller

Even Oxycodone won't do that much for gout pain, you're lucky if you've avoided ward 75 of the western because it's likely you won't be able to move on any affected joints.

The good news is the gout medications Allopurinol and Colchicine will work eventually, there's no other real advice but see a doctor and get treated.

Edited by JCR

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Go to the doctor. Don't listen to old wives tales. Different things cause gout for different people. 

Alcohol can be bad, but it could be fizzy drinks, bread, shellfish, lentils. You need to find out what's causing the increase in iron.  if you stopped drinking before it started probably rules that out. 

I'm on Allopurinol, nothing major, but not had an attack since I started it a year ago. 

King Of The Cat Cafe

Not to make light of the OP's suffering, but it reminds me of the tale of Rick O'Shea, the habitual drunk in the village of Ballygobackwards in the West of Ireland.

One morning, Rick was staggering down the street, bottle of Buckie in each hand, when he met Fr O'Malley, the local parish priest.

"Tell me father," says Rick "what is gout"

Seeing a chance to scare Rick out of his ways, the priest lays it on thick.  "Oh, it's a terrible diseases.  It comes from drinking too much alcohol, eating too much rubbish food and lying about doing nothing all day.  

I am really sorry to hear you have gout, though, Rick."

Says Rick:  "No, no, Father, I haven't got gout, but I heard on the radio that the pope has..."

Seymour M Hersh

Allopurinol is your fried for gout. Taken daily it prevents the crystallisation in the joints which causes the pain. It's a type of arthritis. Pretty sure the rich foods, port etc old wives tales are just that. However as someone else mentioned I think shell fish can impact negatively. Get to the doctors and get on the medication and you'll be sorted. 

Better call Saul

Nice one guys cheers for the feedback 

Didn't sleep a wink last night the worse it's been..  thankfully I wasn't working today. 

Edited by Ferris Bueller

Stuart Lyon

I've had gout since 1976 and have taken allopurinol for most of the intervening years (I did have a spell of not taking it for 9 years but quickly started it again when I had an attack). I also have 

indomethacin tablets available should I get an attack and it is really effective. Touch wood not had an attack for quite a few years.

King henry the 8th had gout and they reckon it was this rather than the leg wound which caused his severe weight gain due to inactivity. Nicknamed the disease of kings as it was thought that overindulgence of booze and food caused this infliction. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

Francis Albert

Had a very painful outbreak in  my right foot (big toe joint to be precise) a year or so ago. Read that too much  liver (and other offal) and shell fish exacerbates the problem and I cut down on those greatly. I also take celery seeds (tablets available from health food shops) which are supposed to be effective in suppressing it. No further recurrence since then (whether coincidentally or otherwise!) Cutting down on the booze is also recommended but I haven't had to resort to that extreme yet.

Edited by Francis Albert

I’ve had gout for 28 years. For the last 24 years I’ve taken 300mg of Allopurinol everyday and (touchwood) it’s completely under control now. It’s absolute agony though as you say. Can’t even take the weight of a single bed sheet on it when an attack is present. Is the pain in your big toe?

Initally, I was told to avoid foods like shellfish, liver, kidneys and drinks like port or red wine. 

If you do indeed have gout it will will take several weeks to get it controlled by using anti-inflammatory painkillers then they will put you straight onto Allopurinol to counterbalance the increased level of uric acid in your blood. You may have to suffer several more ‘attacks’ until they get it right. Best of luck!

Occasionally people get what is called Tophi, which attacks the ears and the joints on your hands. I have had this only once and, on pushing hard on the affected area there was a jet of white pus. Lovely!

Hope you’re fine.

18 minutes ago, Morgan said:

If you do indeed have gout it will will take several weeks to get it controlled by using anti-inflammatory painkillers then they will put you straight onto Allopurinol to counterbalance the increased level of uric acid in your blood. You may have to suffer several more ‘attacks’ until they get it right. Best of luck!

Not necessarily. The doctor took two years to put me on Allopurinol because of my fairly young age of my first attack. The only reason I ended up on it, was because I had a few attacks in a relatively short space of time, otherwise I might not have been put on it at all (IIRC, statistically after your first, you're unlikely to get any for a number of years). Same goes for 'controlling' it. Some attacks can pass as quick as they come on. Apart from visual diagnosis, it might be several tests to gauge properly the levels of uric acid in the blood. I was even given a list of do's and dont's either. The original doc who diagnosed me was clear that although there might be some trigger factors, its pretty much luck of the draw if you get it or not.

Its certainly bloody sore though.

4 hours ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

You need to find out what's causing the increase in iron. 

Interesting you mention iron. I've gout but have a severe B12/iron deficiency which is causing me all sorts of issues with my red blood cells and general health. I've never heard them linked before.

davemclaren

Had two attacks within a year about 6 years ago. Both were agony but, due to being diagnosed with high blood pressure at the same time,  I lost about 5 stone in weight, exercised a bit and reduced things like red meat and red wine and haven’t had an attack since. I also got my blood pressure down to a safe level. 

1 hour ago, Chester™ said:

Interesting you mention iron. I've gout but have a severe B12/iron deficiency which is causing me all sorts of issues with my red blood cells and general health. I've never heard them linked before.

I’ve never heard the iron link before either.

Better call Saul
7 hours ago, Morgan said:

I’ve had gout for 28 years. For the last 24 years I’ve taken 300mg of Allopurinol everyday and (touchwood) it’s completely under control now. It’s absolute agony though as you say. Can’t even take the weight of a single bed sheet on it when an attack is present. Is the pain in your big toe?

Initally, I was told to avoid foods like shellfish, liver, kidneys and drinks like port or red wine. 

Occasionally people get what is called Tophi, which attacks the ears and the joints on your hands. I have had this only once and, on pushing hard on the affected area there was a jet of white pus. Lovely!

Hope you’re fine.

Indeed it is my big toe on my right foot and sometimes I get it on the arch just below my toe. 

Cheers 

Ps I was a fan of the red wine 

Edited by Ferris Bueller

Better call Saul
8 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Had a very painful outbreak in  my right foot (big toe joint to be precise) a year or so ago. Read that too much  liver (and other offal) and shell fish exacerbates the problem and I cut down on those greatly. I also take celery seeds (tablets available from health food shops) which are supposed to be effective in suppressing it. No further recurrence since then (whether coincidentally or otherwise!) Cutting down on the booze is also recommended but I haven't had to resort to that extreme yet.

Cheers man 

Edited by Ferris Bueller

1 hour ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Indeed it is my big toe on my right foot and sometimes I get it on the arch just below my toe. 

Cheers 

Ps I was a fan of the red wine 

:2thumbsup:

Edited by Morgan

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
18 hours ago, Chester™ said:

Pretty sure my doctor said foods higher in iron were bad for the build up of Uric acid. 

3 hours ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Pretty sure my doctor said foods higher in iron were bad for the build up of Uric acid. 

Interesting. A lot of the foods you're meant to eat, as they are low in purines, are high in iron, such as green vegetables and certain fruits. Chicken is also meant to be fine to eat and thats high in iron too.

Francis Albert

I was eating quite a lot of high and moderate purine stuff before my gout attack, in part because I like them also to some extent they are in other ways "good for you" - game is low fat meat, oily fish strongly advised for controlling cholesterol and for a healthy heart, beer (of course!). wholegrain rather than white bread for fibre and other nutrients. Since then I have rebalanced and try to have a more varied diet. I am sure the answer is not to cut out the high purine stuff (apart from the many benefits of some of these foods, iron is of course an essential nutrient). I think it is a good example of the danger of viewing foods as "good" or "bad" and the important thing (unless you have particular allergies or illnesses) is variety and balance. The constant headlines warning about this or that food as bad for you and others being beneficial are not helpful.

Edited by Francis Albert

20 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I was eating quite a lot of high and moderate purine stuff before my gout attack, in part because I like them also to some extent they are in other ways "good for you" - game is low fat meat, oily fish strongly advised for controlling cholesterol and for a healthy heart, beer (of course!). wholegrain rather than white bread for fibre and other nutrients. Since then I have rebalanced and try to have a more varied diet. I am sure the answer is not to cut out the high purine stuff (apart from the many benefits of some of these foods, iron is of course an essential nutrient). I think it is a good example of the danger of viewing foods as "good" or "bad" and the important thing (unless you have particular allergies or illnesses) is variety and balance. The constant headlines warning about this or that food as bad for you and others being beneficial are not helpful.

Pretty much. As I said above, a lot of it is luck of the draw. When I was first diagnosed, the Head of A&E (I was there because I thought I'd broken my foot/toe) said the worst case he'd ever seen was in the cleanest living, healthiest person he'd come across.

That list from the Gout Society is interesting. They've now foods on the low/medium list that they'd said to previously avoid at all costs (mushrooms being one) and some on the high list (none of which I ever really ate) that they'd previously said were fine. :lol:

Edited by Chester™

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
2 hours ago, Chester™ said:

Interesting. A lot of the foods you're meant to eat, as they are low in purines, are high in iron, such as green vegetables and certain fruits. Chicken is also meant to be fine to eat and thats high in iron too.

Chicken without skin was better than with. With the skin it was worse than red meat.

I pretty much turned vegie, still eat meat but rarely. I enjoy it more now. 

Still love a good peeve, too. 

ETA: strangely, black pudding had the same purine levels as a green pepper. Fortunately, I love black pudding. 

Edited by Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

11 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Chicken without skin was better than with. With the skin it was worse than red meat.

I pretty much turned vegie, still eat meat but rarely. I enjoy it more now. 

Still love a good peeve, too. 

ETA: strangely, black pudding had the same purine levels as a green pepper. Fortunately, I love black pudding. 

I rarely ate meat when I was first diagnosed. The person I mentioned in my previous post was apparently vegan.

Black pudding is now, apparently, a 'superfood'. Which is just great news. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
davemclaren
On 02/04/2018 at 14:40, davemclaren said:

Had two attacks within a year about 6 years ago. Both were agony but, due to being diagnosed with high blood pressure at the same time,  I lost about 5 stone in weight, exercised a bit and reduced things like red meat and red wine and haven’t had an attack since. I also got my blood pressure down to a safe level. 

Ironically, I had an attack just over two weeks ago soon after posting this, which quickly reminded me how sore it was!! Went to the docs who gave me diclofenic and said I should get a blood test done after 4/6 weeks. The attack quietened down after a few days but with a lingering sensitivity. 

Anyway, went out and cut the grass yesterday and could feel my toe getting more sensitive during that so maybe overdid it. The full on pain returned last night so now having a second attack in just over two weeks. Not a good prognosis I fear. ?

On 03/04/2018 at 14:11, Chester™ said:

I rarely ate meat when I was first diagnosed. The person I mentioned in my previous post was apparently vegan.

Black pudding is now, apparently, a 'superfood'. Which is just great news. :lol:

Good news about the black pud!

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Stuart Lyon said:

get on the allopurinol

They won’t put you on that until your attack is over and they have done the blood test but I do think that will happen in due course. I may be going on holiday on Monday aided by a walking stick. ?

I believe it's due to an increased level of uric acid which forms tiny crystals in the joints.  Colchicine works for me and it clears up within a day or so.

Best of luck....

12 minutes ago, JAMBONI said:

Colchicine works for me and it clears up within a day or so.

Best of luck....

Suppose it depends on how you react to it. Cleared mine but managing to clear me oot, such was the amount of shite that came out me using it.

1 hour ago, Chester™ said:

Suppose it depends on how you react to it. Cleared mine but managing to clear me oot, such was the amount of shite that came out me using it.

I believe one of the side effects is gastrointestinal disorders. Thankfully I have been ok but i would only take the medication for a couple of days 

5 minutes ago, JAMBONI said:

I believe one of the side effects is gastrointestinal disorders. Thankfully I have been ok but i would only take the medication for a couple of days 

Took me all of a few hours before the stomach issues started. Absolutely horrific.

31 minutes ago, Chester™ said:

Took me all of a few hours before the stomach issues started. Absolutely horrific.

I would rather have the runs than severe gout. Either way you can't leave the house.

davemclaren
34 minutes ago, Chester™ said:

I was offered that but decided to take the diclofenic instead. Will see how I fare in the next few days. 

21 minutes ago, JAMBONI said:

I would rather have the runs than severe gout. Either way you can't leave the house.

The way it came out me, coupled with the stomach cramps and fluid loss, I'm not so sure. :lol:

20 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I was offered that but decided to take the diclofenic instead. Will see how I fare in the next few days. 

I've an intolerance to diclofenac, which I found out after getting it for my arthritic knees. Found extra strength ibuprofen or naproxen did the trick instead.

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Chester™ said:

The way it came out me, coupled with the stomach cramps and fluid loss, I'm not so sure. :lol:

I've an intolerance to diclofenac, which I found out after getting it for my arthritic knees. Found extra strength ibuprofen or naproxen did the trick instead.

You’re not very lucky with side effects. ?

26 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

You’re not very lucky with side effects. ?

Nope. All hereditary issues as well.

Alopurinol has worked a treat for me. Been on it for a few years and, remembering what the gout attacks were like, I never forget to take a tablet. Never had any issues since

shaun.lawson
8 hours ago, Chester™ said:

naproxen

The King of Painkillers. Proof that there is a God. I don't know where I'd have been without it over the years at times.

Above, it was fascinating reading that list of foods to be consumed with caution - because as Francis said, so many are foods which are often recommended! 

Drink at least eight glasses of water a day. Get 7-8 hours sleep at night. Doctor, doctor: I can't get 7-8 hours sleep at night because I'm up peeing so often!

In short: it's a minefield out there. 

53 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

The King of Painkillers. Proof that there is a God. I don't know where I'd have been without it over the years at times.

Above, it was fascinating reading that list of foods to be consumed with caution - because as Francis said, so many are foods which are often recommended! 

Drink at least eight glasses of water a day. Get 7-8 hours sleep at night. Doctor, doctor: I can't get 7-8 hours sleep at night because I'm up peeing so often!

In short: it's a minefield out there. 

Naproxen (the high strength ones) have assisted with gout and sciatica. Excellent for me.

And absolutely right regarding the minefield on foods. I had a mate visiting the last few days. He's also arthritic conditions and we had do's and don't's re food. Many that are 'bad' for my gout are 'excellent' for my b12/iron deficiency and vice versa. I've almost given up trying to balance them.

Edited by Chester™

21 hours ago, davemclaren said:

They won’t put you on that until your attack is over and they have done the blood test but I do think that will happen in due course. I may be going on holiday on Monday aided by a walking stick. ?

What works for me might not for you but I drank cranberry juice with a cap fill of apple cider vinegar. 

Along with boiled ginger. And shoved a tea bag in it. 

It flushed out my kidneys and cleared out the gout within 48 hours. 

But I have a fatty liver. Chronic liver disease. 

Edited by Restonbabe
A cap not a cup of vinegar

17 hours ago, Chester™ said:

Use oral electrolyte. diorolyte are the best ones to use. 

They're expensive at 3 pound for a pack of 6. But work wonders if your struggling. 

Also an fantastic hangover cure. 

Not sure if you can get them on  prescription if it's a side effect of taking the tablet 

davemclaren
3 hours ago, Restonbabe said:

What works for me might not for you but I drank cranberry juice with a cap fill of apple cider vinegar. 

Along with boiled ginger. And shoved a tea bag in it. 

It flushed out my kidneys and cleared out the gout within 48 hours. 

But I have a fatty liver. Chronic liver disease. 

I have read about cider vinegar on the internet.