Update from Ann

Chaps

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a bad statement i can see a few people being unhappy with certain elements and picking at it but it shows there is still alot to do and at a cost.

Jambo dans les Pyrenees

The pairing of Ann and the FOH can’t ever be underestimated in terms of the value it is bringing us now and for the future.

queensferryjambo

Great statement from Queen Ann.

Glad we have a chairwoman who keeps us up to date with these in depth statements and also is running the club so well.

Quite open at least

Painting of the new stand will help - all those grey rusting parts will be maroon like the other stands. That'll make a difference to how it looks. The hospitality lounges right now look really bland, so hopefully that is part of the decoration she is referring to.

I hate the amount of plastic signage in the ground. Can't beat some painted wood done well. The 'This Is Tynecastle' sign above the Wheatfield tunnel is a good example of this sort of pish. Hopefully the main stand tunnel will get something decent.

1 minute ago, Jeff said:

has this been removed?

I can't see anything either. Thought I was doing something wrong.

Ferryjambo99

For those who can't see it

It is time again to provide all of our supporters with an update on where we are against plans – both on and off the field.  I find it hard to believe it is now 6 months since I gave a full briefing – albeit, I hope our regular updates on specifics have ensured the big picture continues to be well understood.

As ever, I will try to cover “all things Hearts”, both from the football perspective and the commercial perspective.

FOOTBALL OPERATION

a). Starting with the football department, as ever we have some great things to shout about, while acknowledging that we have had a few disappointments this season.

Every Hearts supporter must be delighted at the now demonstrable success of our Academy, proving beyond any doubt that our investments over the last 3 years into our Youth Programmes, our coaching methods and our scouting arrangements have been well worthwhile.  I’m sure it makes all of us immensely proud to see so many of our Academy graduates running out regularly at Tynecastle as part of the First Team. 

I am also reliably informed that this pattern is set to continue over the next few seasons, given the calibre of youngsters we have, both in the Academy and indeed, at our Performance School at Balerno High School …another major success story.  Please be assured that we will continue to invest in our various programmes and indeed in our supporting infrastructure …both physical and in people terms …at Riccarton.

b). The First Team has, of course, suffered some disappointing results over recent weeks.  A tough run against Premiership sides took us to the Quarter-Final stage of the Scottish Cup; our first appearance there since 2012. Losing to Motherwell was a blow to “our dreams” but rest assured, we go again next season, with renewed efforts to reach Hampden!

Similarly, our league position is not where we would hope to be at this point in the season.  However, we should not under-estimate or forget the challenges of the early part of the season, when we had so many games away from Tynecastle.  Since returning “home”, the boys have indeed tried hard to make Tynecastle “the fortress” of times gone by, as evidenced by the fact that we are still unbeaten since coming “home”.  I can assure you that everyone here is totally focussed on securing a top 6 finish!

c). As I have already announced, and indeed as many of you will have witnessed for yourselves, we must gear up to tackle the pitch challenges over the closed season.  You will remember that we re-turfed the pitch some 15 months ago, while acknowledging that this would only be a short-term solution and that after close on 20 years, we would have to put down a new pitch this year.

This is a(nother) major undertaking for the Club, both in logistical and indeed financial terms.  The tendering process is well underway and a final decision will need to be taken on the type of pitch we need to lay.  With a very short close season …timing is, of course, a major consideration.  We want to ensure that we put down the best pitch possible but with new drainage, new water systems, new undersoil heating, etc, this will not come cheap.  This is one of the reasons we have launched our Season Ticket campaign early this year.  Knowing that our coffers are filling up again, will undoubtedly be helpful in making this decision, agreeing the way ahead …and the timetable …and awarding the contract.

SEASON TICKETS

a). Moving on to Season Tickets, some of you will know by now, that they will go on sale this morning at 9am.  All of the details are available online (or from the ticket office) and so I will not go into these here.  Suffice to say that we have tried to hold price increases to a minimum, while recognising that improvements all come at a cost.  The new main stand developments continue apace, we need the pitch mentioned above and of course, we have to continue to invest in both our First Team squad and our youth players.  The theme, therefore, of this campaign is to ask for your continued “backing”.  My separate request is to ask everyone who is in a position to do so, to renew early!  We need to know now that we have your continued financial backing in order to enable us to instruct the next phase of developments and improvements.  I will be renewing my ticket and my families’ tickets today.  If you can do similarly, please do so …and thank you.

b). I should also mention that our lounge season ticket members will be contacted over the next few days, to seek their continued “backing”.  We have amended/improved a number of our new lounge offerings, details of which you should already have received.

MAIN STAND

So …why do we need your money now?  I have already mentioned the pitch and Craig has made it clear that we have business to do in the transfer window, but let me also outline the current plan for the continued main stand development.

Phase 1 Completion

a). Firstly, let me say that we are delighted, that after many delays on the part of our utility suppliers, we have now switched over to our new full power supply.  This means that all of our new kiosks in the main stand and our new first-floor kitchen are, at last, fully operational.

b). I am also delighted to say that assuming the weather improves, we are about to start the painting project for all the new metal work on the main stand.  This is not a small undertaking as you can imagine.

c). During the close season, we are planning to address the toilet situation in the main stand concourse, where, as has been well reported, the layout in some of the gents toilets is far from optimal and causes unnecessary congestion at peak times.  This has caused us to re-allocate some of the ladies toilets for use by gents.  This will be addressed, along with a number of minor decoration issues, before the start of the next season.

Any repairs and essential maintenance work will, of course, also be carried out in other stands.  This will include, amongst other things, putting right any damage caused by the recent snow problems.

d). Other work scheduled to take place over the summer includes the proposed reduction in size to the Control Room and the building of a permanent TV Studio for televised games.  These projects, when completed, should result in us having access to 100% of our capacity for all future games.

Phase 2

a). So, the summer is going to be busy.  However, between now and the end of the season, we are pulling out all the stops to open our first supporters bar and coffee shop in the main stand, along with our new retail shop and ticket office.  I will not give actual dates here as we know from experience that delays can happen.  That said, we will keep you fully briefed over the next few weeks.  Suffice to say, the target dates are tight!

b). Everyone knows, of course, that we also have the new Tynecastle Nursery to deliver before the end of June.  This requires a new plant room to be built under the Roseburn Stand and work is already underway here.

Phase 3

You will see from the above that work is continuing apace …and this does not include any work on the 2nd floor or indeed to the top floor restaurant.  This is all at the planning stage at present and as soon as these plans are finalised, we will put out another briefing note.

I hope the above gives a clear indication of why we need your continued financial “backing”.

OTHER PROJECTS

There are a few other important items to include in this communication. 

a). Many of you will know that last Saturday was our Big Hearts Day. It was a terrific success as ever and show-cased a lot of the tremendous work undertaken by our charity and indeed by our volunteers.  Thank you all for your commitment and support. 

b). Those of you who follow the Club on Twitter will also have seen some of the wonderful work being undertaken by our Community Football department …our not-for-profit department which works within the local community and with local schools …opening up terrific opportunities for local residents to engage with each other and with the Club.  Check out what they have been doing with their Street Soccer Programme.  It is something else!

c). I also want to ensure that you all know about our new Heritage Tour.  Put together by some of our legends and by our historians, this is a great way to learn more about our Club and its place in the City.  We will be offering lots of tours over the coming weeks and into the summer.  It is a great way to spend a few hours on a Sunday morning …but be warned, places fill up quickly, so book early.

IN SUMMARY…

I am going to close now by giving a brief “health of the nation” overview.

We are three quarters of the way through our financial year and have a reasonably sound picture of how the year will end …in financial terms.  We set out this year (as we did last year) to grow our turnover (income) and to break-even in performance terms.  I am pleased to say that we anticipate growing our turnover, once again, by approximately £1 million.  We also anticipate achieving a break-even position, which is no mean achievement, given the challenges we have faced in the last year.  Yes, the Tynecastle Redevelopment Project has gone over-budget but we are managing this to ensure we do not over-stretch ourselves.

So …in business terms we are doing well …and I am confident that the future looks good.  Like many businesses which are expanding and developing, we must ensure we manage cashflow carefully.  In other words, we often have to fund the developments before we reap the rewards.  That is why we are launching our Season Tickets early.  Thank you, in advance, for responding to this request, where you can.

We are approximately 2 years away from becoming the largest fan-owned Club in the UK.  With your continued “backing”, we will, together, make history.

Ann Budge

Supporters bar and coffee shop is a new one on me - any ideas where in the main stand it is planned for?

Jamboscanbevicius

As always Ann is open and comprehensive in these updates - fair play to her!

She acknowledged mistakes and disappointments, which happen in every business, rather than trying to deflect and spin everything. The redevelopment has clearly been a vast undertaking, and hopefully by end of the summer it should finally be complete.

I particularly liked the final remarks: "We are approximately 2 years away from becoming the largest fan-owned Club in the UK.  With your continued “backing”, we will, together, make history"

We must remember that, whilst we have not set the heather alight on the park this year, it is not so long ago that we were on the brink of oblivion!

Saint Jambo
1 minute ago, Jamboscanbevicius said:

The redevelopment has clearly been a vast undertaking, and hopefully by end of the summer it should finally be complete.

I don't think so. Phase 3 focussed on the upper levels of the main stand won't be finished this summer I don't think. Unless I've misread the statement.

Fraggle Rock

A good update from Ann, and a wee reminder of the massive amount of work going on off the park.

Well done fellow Hearts fans.

2 minutes ago, Ryder said:

No mention of many courteous emails from supporters demanding improvement. :(

:4_1_111:

Just now, PTBCAL said:

Is the supporters bar only for main stand fans? 

Where is it going to be........don't say the main stand ??

jambos are go!

I might be missing something but there is no committment to a hybrid new pitch just a quality new pitch.

Excellent update.

There are very few clubs around the world that would be that transparent with their supporters.

2 minutes ago, jambos are go! said:

I might be missing something but there is no committment to a hybrid new pitch just a quality new pitch.

I read it as a decision on which type is still to be decided. Will clearly depend on season ticket sales and the uptake to dictate who gets the contract and can deliver on time. 

Would be a shame and potentially short sighted not to choose desso though. Take the funds from the supporters bar and coffee shop if needed. Pitch has to be first and the most important infrastructure project outstanding.

57 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

I don't think so. Phase 3 focussed on the upper levels of the main stand won't be finished this summer I don't think. Unless I've misread the statement.

No thats i how read it. Suggests that this phase is well on the back burner at the moment. Which given investment needed in the team and pitch is understandable

Geoff Kilpatrick

Some of her writing style grates a little but the honesty in that communication is to be commended, although I think she was a little flippant with regard to the first team performance. Essentially, that performance is why some people will think twice before buying an ST.

The Old Tolbooth

Personally, I think that to break even after the year we've had is some sort of amazing achievement! 

When you take into consideration the Main Stand debacle of having to sack the original planners and start again, and having to inject a fair bit of money into the team in January, then it's no mean feat! (We've also got a new pitch to lay)

There were plenty of other threads all being positive pre losing to Hibs and Motherwell, stating how we need to be patient and things will come together over the next 2-3 years, and personally, apart from the playing side (which is being worked on), we're not far away at all, nothing has changed, we still need to be patient and see what happens over the next 2-3 years, and once we're free of having to spend money on new stands, pitches, repairs etc etc, then the playing side of things should take care of itself. 

Rome wasn't built in a day! 

The Old Tolbooth
6 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Some of her writing style grates a little but the honesty in that communication is to be commended, although I think she was a little flippant with regard to the first team performance. Essentially, that performance is why some people will think twice before buying an ST.

I picked up on that too, especially the part where she states that her and her family have all renewed etc, I found that a wee bit condescending as not all fans will have the money to renew early, but got the feeling they were put on a bit of a guilt trip there, maybe I read it incorrectly, you definitely can't knock her honesty though. 

26 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Hoping my Gorgie posse would get access 

Superb informative statement.  Onwards and upwards. To break even is an astounding achievement given all that’s gone on. 

38 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

It could be behind shop,there is entrance doors on the right as you head to the Gorgie suite entrance.

colinmaroon
15 minutes ago, johnmitchell said:

I picked up on that too, especially the part where she states that her and her family have all renewed etc, I found that a wee bit condescending as not all fans will have the money to renew early, but got the feeling they were put on a bit of a guilt trip there, maybe I read it incorrectly, you definitely can't knock her honesty though. 

Come on John, that's really nitpicking.

Jambof3tornado
21 minutes ago, johnmitchell said:

Did the pieman ever pay for his season book?? Does he now?

Jambof3tornado

Good statement.

Regarding the pitch and the hybrid or not, motherwell have a superb surface now which is not hybrid so as much as I'd love us to pay the extra, if we dont it wont be the end of the world.

I believe the hybrid element can be added to a pitch at a later date, ie, new pitch, drainage, undersoil heating etc in the summer, then the hybrid element injected into the pitch months down the line??

46 minutes ago, jambos are go! said:

I picked up on that too. It *might* mean that a hybrid pitch is a step too far at the moment.

The Old Tolbooth
22 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Come on John, that's really nitpicking.

I just felt that wee part wasn't needed, excellent statement other than that though. 

16 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Did the pieman ever pay for his season book?? Does he now?

Good point, we should run that prick out of town! 

Jambof3tornado
Just now, johnmitchell said:

I just felt that wee part wasn't needed, excellent statement other than that though. 

Good point, we should run that prick out of town! 

Or at least ensure he pays for his seat!!!

HEARTS FOREVER

The product on the park is what needs improving most. I feel she should have acknowledged this more. This is what makes people buy season tickets. What she needs to remember is people will happily sit in the rain as long as they are watching a good team.

We are far from that at the moment.

All the rest was very informative and positive.

Nookie Bear

Can someone copy the text to save me clicking on that rag?

:happy:

All good stuff, and the last paragraph is particularly pleasing !

Just now, HEARTS FOREVER said:

The product on the park is what needs improving most. I feel she should have acknowledged this more. This is what makes people buy season tickets. What she needs to remember is people will happily sit in the rain as long as they are watching a good team.

And what some need to remember is a good team costs good money. 

And the only way for us to get good money is to spend on the club at the short term expense of the team.

HEARTS FOREVER
3 minutes ago, Bauld said:

And what some need to remember is a good team costs good money. 

And the only way for us to get good money is to spend on the club at the short term expense of the team.

I agree and feel we have done that.

6th place isn't good enough

2 hours ago, kila said:

Quite open at least

Painting of the new stand will help - all those grey rusting parts will be maroon like the other stands. That'll make a difference to how it looks. The hospitality lounges right now look really bland, so hopefully that is part of the decoration she is referring to.

I hate the amount of plastic signage in the ground. Can't beat some painted wood done well. The 'This Is Tynecastle' sign above the Wheatfield tunnel is a good example of this sort of pish. Hopefully the main stand tunnel will get something decent.

The days of the skilled sign writer are consigned to history unfortunately.

1 hour ago, johnmitchell said:

Personally, I think that to break even after the year we've had is some sort of amazing achievement! 

When you take into consideration the Main Stand debacle of having to sack the original planners and start again, and having to inject a fair bit of money into the team in January, then it's no mean feat! (We've also got a new pitch to lay)

There were plenty of other threads all being positive pre losing to Hibs and Motherwell, stating how we need to be patient and things will come together over the next 2-3 years, and personally, apart from the playing side (which is being worked on), we're not far away at all, nothing has changed, we still need to be patient and see what happens over the next 2-3 years, and once we're free of having to spend money on new stands, pitches, repairs etc etc, then the playing side of things should take care of itself. 

Rome wasn't built in a day! 

Not quite.

Jim Clydesdale was the Architect who was retained until the new stand opened for fans.  New Architects were brought in to complete the internal fit-out work, and correct some design clitches.

That statement is a reality check for those that wanted their cake and to eat itas well. 

We are not a rich club. We have a fan base who are backing the club to the hilt. It would have been utterly amazing if we had got to Hamden and were sitting in a lofty league position alas it never happened. Our focus has had to be split to build an infrastructure for the future however the focus can steadily be shifted towards the on field product which God willing will bring the results we all crave. 

The statement like all the previous ones is keeping us informed and is written to make sure our feet are on the ground. 

Very good statement, thanks Ann. 

1 hour ago, Notts1874 said:

The supporters' bar will be in the main stand.

49 minutes ago, HEARTS FOREVER said:

Agreed but to me what is implicit in her statement is that we broke even - at the cost of signing players which we all knew were needed and never materialised even after Cathro left. So, we go again next season.

Sorry to go against the grain here but I found it all to be a bit patronising.

Highlighting that its our first QF Scottish Cup appearance since 2012 like its some sort of achievement?

Assurances that everyone is focused on achieving a top six finish?

Great to hear all the off the pitch updates but spare me the nonsense about the failings of yet ANOTHER woeful season.

Archived