Allan McGregor on the move..to us ( rumour )

CJGJ

I'm sure some others on this board who are more in touch with him will check but it seems we are in contact re a possible move in the summer

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Morgan

• Mikey1874

• HeartofHartley

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

I'm sure some others on this board who are more in touch with him will check but it seems we are in contact re a possible move in the summer

If that's correct it would look as though JM is not renewing.

Said it over the weekend I thought he’d be our player next season.

From what I’ve heard I’d be surprised if it didn’t happen.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

Giving he's not signed already, i think it's safe to assume this.

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

This was already a given considering CL said he was looking to move a good few weeks ago.

Would be a shame if McLaughlin is away. Probably hasn't earned great money at Bradford and Burton so can see why he would want to maximise his earning capabilities 

McGregor would be a fine signing imo. 37 in January but hopefully his injury issues are now behind him 

Excellent keeper 

6 minutes ago, cheetah said:

where are people hearing this?

Kickback mainly

Facebook

Other Hearts fans 

I think my sources are solid

Just now, Spencer said:

Would be a shame if McLaughlin is away. Probably hasn't earned great money at Bradford and Burton so can see why he would want to maximise his earning capabilities 

McGregor would be a fine signing imo. 37 in January but hopefully his injury issues are now behind him 

Excellent keeper 

He certainly is and I think he would be an excellent signing but his career is on a downward trajectory and it is another case of getting the best we can from him before he becomes too old for us (see hughes and Cowie)

Not criticising this policy per se, providing it continues to work for us.

But when we have a really good keeper, in his prime. It would have been good to tie him up, maybe get more than just the one good season that McGregor might give us and have a potential sell on benefit when he decides to move on

If that is not possible (as appear to be the case) McGregor is a really good substitute, but I'd like to be able to afford to do business so we keep good players in their prime and profit from them...

2 minutes ago, davie1980 said:

He certainly is and I think he would be an excellent signing but his career is on a downward trajectory and it is another case of getting the best we can from him before he becomes too old for us (see hughes and Cowie)

Not criticising this policy per se, providing it continues to work for us.

But when we have a really good keeper, in his prime. It would have been good to tie him up, maybe get more than just the one good season that McGregor might give us and have a potential sell on benefit when he decides to move on

If that is not possible (as appear to be the case) McGregor is a really good substitute, but I'd like to be able to afford to do business so we keep good players in their prime and profit from them...

Levein has been criticised for some of his transfer dealings, rightly so in certain cases. Not sure I could hold him to account over McLaughlin though. He signed him on a 1 year deal which probably suited both parties. He will quite probably have English Championship suitors and we just can't compete on that level financially.  That will sadly remain the case for as long as Scottish football gets the shitty end of the stick in commercial revenue terms 

I would like McLaughlin to stay but it seems unlikely. He has been quite exceptional for us and a very good signing 

FarmerTweedy
10 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Excellent keeper 

I heard a rumour JM has been offered £15kpw from an English Championship club.  No idea if it's true, but if he's had an offer anywhere near that, it's a no-brainer for him to take it. We wouldn't be able to afford anything remotely close.

Just now, FarmerTweedy said:

I heard a rumour JM has been offered £15kpw from an English Championship club.  No idea if it's true, but if he's had an offer anywhere near that, it's a no-brainer for him to take it. We wouldn't be able to afford anything remotely close.

With no fee payable he might be able to command such terms. I still wonder if Celtic could make a move yet as their keeper situation is quite uncertain 

Yeah it would be a no brainer as you say. I would imagine the absolute max we could do would be in the region of £5k. If that 

FarmerTweedy
1 minute ago, Spencer said:

Levein has been criticised for some of his transfer dealings, rightly so in certain cases. Not sure I could hold him to account over McLaughlin though. He signed him on a 1 year deal which probably suited both parties. He will quite probably have English Championship suitors and we just can't compete on that level financially.  That will sadly remain the case for as long as Scottish football gets the shitty end of the stick in commercial revenue terms 

I would like McLaughlin to stay but it seems unlikely. He has been quite exceptional for us and a very good signing 

I'm sure CL said they tried to get JM on a longer deal when he first joined but he was only willing to sign a 1 year deal then. I think the hope was that he would come around to the idea of staying longer once he was here, but money talks in the end.

FarmerTweedy
Just now, Spencer said:

With no fee payable he might be able to command such terms. I still wonder if Celtic could make a move yet as their keeper situation is quite uncertain 

Yeah it would be a no brainer as you say. I would imagine the absolute max we could do would be in the region of £5k. If that

I think much the same. That extra money over a two or three year contract could be transformative for his family's financial security once he retires from the game. 

Cruyff Turn

He'd be a good signing. 

Probably the best we could do bar keeping Jon.

Getting on a bit mind you and gets injured a lot. 

Gorgie_Rules

Been known for weeks JM won’t be renewing. Considering he would be offered more money than currently on for his one year deal he is only doing himself out of money as the weeks go by.

McGregor would be a good signing, important to have further experience and characters in the dressing room alongside Berra, Cowie, Lafferty

Would be a superb signing to get mcgregor in but it all hinges on Hull so we just need to wait and see what they do.

41 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Like a lot of our season ticket holders, allegedly.

Theoretically a good signing but would surely take a huge chunk of our wage budget.

The building of a good team should start with a good goalkeeper but I'd hate to think it would mean scrimping elsewhere. Can't help thinking there's a younger 'keeper out there who is just as solid but perhaps more suited to our means. 

Having said that, CL and AB will know better than me if it's a wise move financially and, if so, he would be great addition. 

the general
12 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

He'd be a good signing. 

Probably the best we could do bar keeping Jon.

Getting on a bit mind you and gets injured a lot. 

has he missed a lot of games this season?

Got told this a couple of weeks ago from a decent source but it’s early days. 

Things change and especially with this season still to finish and other offers may come in.

JM won't be here next season

McGregor or a portugese keeper will be.

Edited by dazajmbo

1 minute ago, dazajmbo said:

McGregor/Gordon or a portugese keeper will be.

Cat among the pigeons type post.  Like it.

...a bit disco
11 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

McGregor or a portugese keeper will be.

:biggrin:

I personally hope this one ends up in the Gullit lounge. Last thing we need is another Rangers-sympathiser in our squad, especially in goal and getting past it.

davemclaren
1 minute ago, LesJambes said:

I personally hope this one ends up in the Gullit lounge. Last thing we need is another Rangers-sympathiser in our squad, especially in goal and getting past it.

Hardly past it for a goalkeeper. Did he not support Hearts when younger?

letsalldothebeattie

Seems to be a long term linked player. If McLaughlin is away which I assume he will be as we are after 2 goalkeepers for next season apparently then to me McGregor is an ideal replacement for him 

2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Still does Dave, massive jambo

So is Craig Gordon & Scott Bain though....

9 minutes ago, LesJambes said:

:facepalm:

15 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

My bad, sorry. And yeah fair point, Buffon is a great example of that. Legend.

11 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

Still does Dave, massive jambo

So is Craig Gordon & Scott Bain though....

We do get some decent keepers, shame they always get taken by the old firm.

16 minutes ago, LesJambes said:

Since you joined us recently you've provided some good input on here, but that post is 

:facepalm::vrface:

Just now, smiler said:

Since you joined us recently you've provided some good input on here, but that post is 

:D fair enough, I've not taken my medication yet.

1 hour ago, Spencer said:

nope, there was probably nothing to indicate he was likely to be a star player for us and should be handed a 3 year deal.

We signed him, as you say, on a deal that seemed sensible at the time, with the thinking he would be a solid signing to compete with Hamilton and probable signed with Hamilton in mind, hoping Jack would be ready to take his place by 18/19 season.

As it happened, Jon has excelled, arguably been POTY and has got himself into the Scotland squad and probably boosted his value to the point he is no longer in our price bracket.

No blame here, just unfortunate how it has transpired, that we can't get to see another year or two of him in maroon

29 minutes ago, smiler said:

To be fair someone had pointed out the other day that we have Naismith and Lafferty and are talking about McGregor, Charlie Adam, Temps and Wallace. We could end up being able to field more than half a team of ex-huns (albeit the last 2 were ours first)

A_A wehatethehibs

McGregor is a good keeper who I’m sure is just keen to get a couple of seasons as #1 somewhere and see out his career. In that respect Hearts would be a really good fit for him. 

1 hour ago, LesJambes said:

Nowhere near past it. He was excellent for Hull on Saturday. He would be a good signing for us. Throw in Adams, keep Naismith and and the team has a very strong core.  I forgot to add kidnap  Adao as well. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Article on the BBC today asked if he would be interested in a move back North, replied in the affirmative that would suit for family reasons, and my guess is we have not been too generous with Jon, if we thought McGregor was available 

Just now, Sir Gio said:

Article on the BBC today asked if he would be interested in a move back North, replied in the affirmative that would suit for family reasons, and my guess is we have not been too generous with Jon, if we thought McGregor was available 

Would much rather keep Jon though? Surely?

Clerry Jambo

McGregor, who is out of contract with Hull at the end of the season, was asked if a move home would appeal to him.

"Potentially, aye," he replied.

"A lot of reasons might be family reasons for people coming back up the road."