Who should we support in the World Cup?

LesJambes

michael_bolton
Just now, LochcarronJambo said:

I am not a fan of the SFA, but that’s not going to stop me loving my country...... I was never a fan of the Pie Man with Hearts or a number of board members but it most certainly didn’t stop my supporting Hearts ..... I go to games at home & abroad with Scotland fans WHO are all Hearts fans .... I will mention to my mates tomorrow at the match & I know what the answer will be their proud of Scotland & Hearts no matter who the admin is .... 

This is how I see it.

I don't understand people who refuse to support the national side because of the SFA. It's daft logic.

I'm pretty sure it's just a convenient excuse because we're rubbish in most cases.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LochcarronJambo said:

I am not a fan of the SFA, but that’s not going to stop me loving my country...... I was never a fan of the Pie Man with Hearts or a number of board members but it most certainly didn’t stop my supporting Hearts ..... I go to games at home & abroad with Scotland fans WHO are all Hearts fans .... I will mention to my mates tomorrow at the match & I know what the answer will be their proud of Scotland & Hearts no matter who the admin is .... 

I wish to see Scotland doing well but just not that fussed about international football. Like to watch the World Cup and euros but qualifiers are dull and friendlies are just pish.

Club before country, any day of the week.

Riddley Walker

Russia please. The people deserve it after the slanderous accusations directed toward the nation this past week.

Hans von Luck

No interest really in International football, main thing is Heart of Midlothian and our recruitment.

So just to p1ss a few on here off - Cummon England!

On 2018-03-13 at 10:44, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

I'll do my usual with England in tournaments - hope they get humiliated early but end up hoping they win if they get to the semis. ?

Weirdly I find myself doing that, but it often depends on who the England manager is and who plays for them. Any England team with John Terry in it for example wouldn't get my support no matter what. And it's a low risk strategy as you know that if they do qualify for later rounds they WILL end up cocking it up.

On 2018-03-13 at 10:49, been here before said:

If Scotland arent there, which has obviously become the norm, then Ill probably only watch it casually- see who I like the look if and keeo half an eye in it.

This "obviously anyone but England" stuff is puerile halfwittery at best.

Not if you follow the usual and widely accepted rules of football fandom: Support your team and whoever your main/local rivals happen to be playing.

So there really is no difference between hoping HIs get dubbed and hoping England get gubbed, unless you are one of the Scottish cringe merchants.

William H. Bonney
1 hour ago, Locky said:

I wish to see Scotland doing well but just not that fussed about international football. Like to watch the World Cup and euros but qualifiers are dull and friendlies are just pish.

Club before country, any day of the week.

definitely club before country for me too but other than hearts I don't watch an awful lot of club football. 

the major tournaments such as the euros and the world cup I love watching. usually every game if I can. 

International football with players playing for pride not money. 

4 hours ago, TorinoJambo said:

I always support Argentina and Mexico. Both fabulous to watch and when they met around 12 years ago it was just about the best world cup tie I've ever seen. 2-1 Argentina after extra time.

You didn’t see the 90 final against the Germans then...horrific, cynical team. Cannigia was the only redeeming factor in that side...even with Maradona. 

My fav WC match would prob be Italy v Brazil 82...3-2 ...what a game. 

1 hour ago, socrates82 said:

Weirdly I find myself doing that, but it often depends on who the England manager is and who plays for them. Any England team with John Terry in it for example wouldn't get my support no matter what. And it's a low risk strategy as you know that if they do qualify for later rounds they WILL end up cocking it up.

I hate to admit it but I really like Daniel Sturridge as a player, mainly cuz I bought him in a fifa career and he was amazing, probably due t being overrated as with all England players.

18 minutes ago, wheatfield to sheffield said:

Living here in Englandshire, it's Abe for me

Wait, I live in Scotland, does that mean I have to support ABS? :(

5 minutes ago, cb1874 said:

You didn’t see the 90 final against the Germans then...horrific, cynical team. Cannigia was the only redeeming factor in that side...even with Maradona. 

My fav WC match would prob be Italy v Brazil 82...3-2 ...what a game. 

I always thought of the Germans as playing the most boring, clinical football. Tactically brilliant, but rather boring to watch compared to the flair and style of Brazil and Italy. If we're comparing to the SPFL then Germany are Rangers, long balls and headers, Hearts are Italy, lots of style but not as much success to back it up.

8 minutes ago, HeartofHartley said:

Anyone who supports other UK teams and is Scottish give me the boak. 

Wait, wtf did Wales do? :(

1 minute ago, LesJambes said:

Wait, wtf did Wales do? :(

played in such a way v belgium in 94 that has been unmatched by any other side

2 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

played in such a way v belgium in 94 that has been unmatched by any other side

Great team! :)

1 hour ago, Gorgiewave said:

UK teams and other Commonwealth Realms: England and Australia.

So you support Hibs in Europe if we’re out?

19 minutes ago, socrates82 said:

No. I've never known a case of that.

21 minutes ago, socrates82 said:

Wouldn't it be a better equivalency to replace that with Rangers.. ? ;)

1 hour ago, Jefferson Davis Hogg said:

definitely club before country for me too but other than hearts I don't watch an awful lot of club football. 

the major tournaments such as the euros and the world cup I love watching. usually every game if I can. 

International football with players playing for pride not money. 

Your last point really should mean that international football should be football’s last novelty at the top level, in a game where greed rules all.

But sadly it’s had a knock on effect to the international game, which for me makes the whole spectacle rather dire. Many top players can’t be bothered playing for the country because they don’t earn money doing so, and would rather stay fit for their clubs.

William H. Bonney
1 minute ago, Locky said:

Your last point really should mean that international football should be football’s last novelty at the top level, in a game where greed rules all.

But sadly it’s had a knock on effect to the international game, which for me makes the whole spectacle rather dire. Many top players can’t be bothered playing for the country because they don’t earn money doing so, and would rather stay fit for their clubs.

I agree that is evident with certain countries but for every England there is an Iceland and that's what makes international football a great watch. 

Bazzas right boot

Being British, I'm proud to support other British teams.

Good save our Queen, Borris, Theresa, Jacob and Nigel.

Hopefully we can also belt out rule Britannia as our fans role up to Russian shores on the numerous brigantine's.

Hopefully the plague , polio, rickets and an average age of 40 make a come back as soon as Engerlund rock back up on our shores as world champions.

8 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Being British, I'm proud to support other British teams.

Good save our Queen, Borris, Theresa, Jacob and Nigel.

Hopefully we can also belt out rule Britannia as our fans role up to Russian shores on the numerous brigantine's.

Hopefully the plague , polio, rickets and an average age of 40 make a come back as soon as Engerlund rock back up on our shores as world champions.

I think the average age is below 40, are you hoping for a general improvement in our health? Because that doesn't jive with supporting the tories! :D JS..

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, LesJambes said:

I think the average age is below 40, are you hoping for a general improvement in our health? Because that doesn't jive with supporting the tories! :D JS..

And that age would be an increase in parts of Glasgow ?.

I don't want holiday pay, h and s fluffy nonsense,free health or a pension for me or my fellow humans, none of that matters as long as blighty, sorry England bring the trophy home.

One for all and all for one, no matter what.

Can't decide what's more exciting, the £30m royal wedding or the thought of the three lions Being triumphant for the glory of Great Britain and sticking one up to all of Europe, the world and the Russians.

What a year, with leaving Europe a year later for a bargain £40b over 40 years.

Nothing else matters.

MacDonald Jardine
2 hours ago, LesJambes said:

I always thought of the Germans as playing the most boring, clinical football. Tactically brilliant, but rather boring to watch compared to the flair and style of Brazil and Italy. If we're comparing to the SPFL then Germany are Rangers, long balls and headers, Hearts are Italy, lots of style but not as much success to back it up.

It was a funny tournament that. Germany were great to watch in the early rounds but got more defensive as the tournament went on.

Argentina had two players and 9 cloggers.

The fact they got to the final was testament to the greatness of Maradona.

I assume the last point is a joke.

Fly the Saltire

Anyone but England just as its anyone but Hibs in domestic tournaments. That's what football rivalry is all about..

As a former Tartan Army member who went to France in 1998, I do want our domestic clubs to do well in Europe  albeit sometimes through gritted teeth.

2 hours ago, Gorgiewave said:

No. I've never known a case of that.

Exactly. That's why I never get why some Scottish folk say they'll support England and others who take it further and have a go at those who under no circumstances will support England, seeing as they are our rival.

In fact, Scotland-England is the oldest international rivalry in world football, and it's a lot more even than the Hibs-Hearts one. Saying we're all from the UK doesn't explain it either. Hibs and Hearts fans are all from Edinburgh after all.

It's one of the weird things of modern football that Scottish fans are lambasted in some quarters for not supporting their rivals.

On 2018-03-15 at 10:49, Locky said:

Lies.

Half the people saying anyone but England probably claim to support an English team. Nothing wrong with doing so, just a tad ironic for me if you follow English football and claim to hate the national team.

I don't see how supporting an English club team is relevant in this debate as none of them are rivals of Hearts apart from the odd one-off European game.

However in an International context England are Scotland's rivals just as Hibs are Hearts's domestically. Personally I take as much joy from the regular embarrassing exit from the WC or whatever of another hyped-up England team as I do the regular Hibsed its from across the city, no matter how Scotland or Hearts are doing at that time. There have been some England teams I've quietly enjoyed watching do well though, but I just don't want them to go and and win something.

5 hours ago, socrates82 said:

Not if you follow the usual and widely accepted rules of football fandom: Support your team and whoever your main/local rivals happen to be playing.

So there really is no difference between hoping HIs get dubbed and hoping England get gubbed, unless you are one of the Scottish cringe merchants.

That's the way I see it.

No malice towards England just don't want to be seeing/hearing/reading about how wonderful they are 24/7.

1 hour ago, socrates82 said:

Exactly. That's why I never get why some Scottish folk say they'll support England and others who take it further and have a go at those who under no circumstances will support England, seeing as they are our rival.

In fact, Scotland-England is the oldest international rivalry in world football, and it's a lot more even than the Hibs-Hearts one. Saying we're all from the UK doesn't explain it either. Hibs and Hearts fans are all from Edinburgh after all.

It's one of the weird things of modern football that Scottish fans are lambasted in some quarters for not supporting their rivals.

Incorrect.

Arthur Morgan
9 hours ago, Barack said:

Eh?!

:berra:

I thought you were 30+. Don’t ask me why. :lol: 

Hey! I'm not old :angry::lol:

MacDonald Jardine
9 hours ago, socrates82 said:

I don't see how supporting an English club team is relevant in this debate as none of them are rivals of Hearts apart from the odd one-off European game.

However in an International context England are Scotland's rivals just as Hibs are Hearts's domestically. Personally I take as much joy from the regular embarrassing exit from the WC or whatever of another hyped-up England team as I do the regular Hibsed its from across the city, no matter how Scotland or Hearts are doing at that time. There have been some England teams I've quietly enjoyed watching do well though, but I just don't want them to go and and win something.

A lot older? 5 years maybe.

I don't disagree with the rest of your post although Hearts are way above Scotland for me.

Bazzas right boot
19 hours ago, michael_bolton said:

This is how I see it.

I don't understand people who refuse to support the national side because of the SFA. It's daft logic.

I'm pretty sure it's just a convenient excuse because we're rubbish in most cases.

Unsure, I've not renewed my Scottish st now.

Mackay

McLeishtje old firm bubble

SFA, just generally.

Also, traveling to/ from Glasgow at night is a pain.

I'll watch them on TV and wouldn't favour anyone else playing them, but I really have lost an emotional attachment to the national football side.

Christ, I've back us last few years and this and last season so being shite isn't a reason for me.

Something is just "off" ATM with Scottish football in general.

15 hours ago, socrates82 said:

The point regarding English teams, isn’t about Hearts. It’s about people who cheer on teams in the English leagues domestically, and in Europe. Wishing an English club to succeed in Europe means that the English game improves. So if you want an English team to succeed in Europe, what’s the difference between cheering on their national team?

The Shed Floodlight

England for me. Nice to see at least one British nation at the tournament and hopefully win it. Seeing arry lift the trophy and say he made his professional debut in football against Heart of Midlothian.

michael_bolton
2 hours ago, The Shed Floodlight said:

England for me. Nice to see at least one British nation at the tournament and hopefully win it. Seeing arry lift the trophy and say he made his professional debut in football against Heart of Midlothian.

Why would you say that? He did not.

Phil Dunphy

Randomly choosing a country to ‘support’ because yours isn’t playing is cringeworthy imo. 

Be like picking a team team to win the Champions League because Hearts aren’t in it. 

:cornette:

William H. Bonney
1 hour ago, michael_bolton said:

Why would you say that? He did not.

He means for spurs. 

Archived