Who should we support in the World Cup?

LesJambes

The Real Maroonblood
21 minutes ago, maroonnicky63 said:

ha ha you say , what a load of nonsense , if Scotland are not there I support England just my choice but you carry on with your anti English theme if you like my Father fought along side them in the war and he along with others got on ok with them so what's not to like

:laugh::laugh:

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dalstonjambo

My wife is english, my daughter was born down here. I have lived down here most of my life.

I hope they lose every game they play. 

Do I hate England? Not as a country, but it's a sporting rival, the main one of my country, so I hope they lose. Most of my mates are pretty reasonable guys, but give it to me tight about Scotland, as they bl00dy well should. As for the 'England don't care about Scotland' line, do not believe it for a second. If we ever got back to a level where we would compete with them consistently they would hate us. And the majority of them who know football and care would not support us in a tournament. Nor they should. In the same way I would never support hibs. If my daughter gets into football and wants to go to an England game, i'll take her, as I'm a father and i'm not petty. But I will not ever want them to even win a corner. 

LochcarronJambo
1 minute ago, Dalstonjambo said:

My wife is english, my daughter was born down here. I have lived down here most of my life.

Do I hate England? Not as a country, but it's a sporting rival, the main one of my country, so I hope they lose. Most of my mates are pretty reasonable guys, but give it to me tight about Scotland, as they bl00dy well should. As for the 'England don't care about Scotland' line, do not believe it for a second. If we ever got back to a level where we would compete with them consistently they would hate us. And the majority of them who know football and care would not support us in a tournament. Nor they should. In the same way I would never support hibs. If my daughter gets into football and wants to go to an England game, i'll take her, as I'm a father and i'm not petty. But I will not ever want them to even win a corner. 

I agree, very good post (apart from taking your daughter if she wanted to see them,??)

Dalstonjambo
3 minutes ago, LochcarronJambo said:

I agree, very good post (apart from taking your daughter if she wanted to see them,??)

Ha ha. In reality she won't be going with me, as we all know she'll never pick England with a Scottish dad. So i can say it safe in the knowledge it won't happen!

Imagine this scenario. Scotland are the only of the home nations who have qualified for the World Cup in Russia. The first time in twenty years that we have qualified and, because of the current political situation, Boris decides to pull us out off it.  Think this would go down well or would folk agree that we have to take a stand against Putin? It would be funny as feck

2 minutes ago, Elmore said:

Imagine this scenario. Scotland are the only of the home nations who have qualified for the World Cup in Russia. The first time in twenty years that we have qualified and, because of the current political situation, Boris decides to pull us out off it.  Think this would go down well or would folk agree that we have to take a stand against Putin? It would be funny as feck

I doubt he has the authority.

If there was a UK team, or if the UK are competing in the Olympics or whatever I suppose I'll wish them well, but I really don't understand rooting for England. That said I find it a bit cringey to see Scots getting emotional cheering on Germany or whoever against them, makes us look a bit petty tbh. Especially as someone else pointed out they don't even see us as rivals, most English fans seem to only really care about Germany and Argentina. Maybe we should concentrate on a good natured rivalry with Republic of Ireland or Wales instead. Or pick a random fight with Finland :D **** Finland!

1 minute ago, LesJambes said:

I doubt he has the authority.

He threatened to pull the England team out. Alright, twenty four hours later he threatened the Russians with not sending Prince William. He must have the authority them. If he did it with Scotland the reaction would be brilliant.  If we were the only ones to qualify, would the English have to buy Mars bars with Scotland flags on them?

jack D and coke
20 hours ago, DH1986 said:

Wanting England to win the WC is similar to wanting Hibs to win the SC.

Absolutely bang on. 

I want all the other British sides hammered. Especially Wales. 

(Not that they’re at the WC but just in general, can’t fecking stand them)

1 minute ago, Elmore said:

He threatened to pull the England team out. Alright, twenty four hours later he threatened the Russians with not sending Prince William. He must have the authority them. If he did it with Scotland the reaction would be brilliant.  If we were the only ones to qualify, would the English have to buy Mars bars with Scotland flags on them?

Lol what's next, we won't be gracing you with the presence of Theresa May? He really is a nincompoop

Just now, LesJambes said:

Lol what's next, we won't be gracing you with the presence of Theresa May? He really is a nincompoop

When it comes to asking if they would buy stuff with Scotland flags on it, I guess we'll never know.  Not with 'Big Eck' at the helm. 

tokyowalnut

Anyone I get in a sweepstake!!

If England win a game or 2 that's fine, but I'll be happy to see them pumped out just to enjoy seeing Lineker, Ian Wright, Danny Murphy, John Inverdale (I know he doesn't do football but he's an ass) etc squirming.

I usually like Holland because I always had a strip when i was younger and Italy after growing up watching Football Italia. 

5 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

Anyone I get in a sweepstake!!

If England win a game or 2 that's fine, but I'll be happy to see them pumped out just to enjoy seeing Lineker, Ian Wright, Danny Murphy, John Inverdale (I know he doesn't do football but he's an ass) etc squirming.

I usually like Holland because I always had a strip when i was younger and Italy after growing up watching Football Italia. 

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLAZZZZZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dalstonjambo
23 minutes ago, LesJambes said:

That said I find it a bit cringey to see Scots getting emotional cheering on Germany or whoever against them, makes us look a bit petty tbh. Especially as someone else pointed out they don't even see us as rivals, most English fans seem to only really care about Germany and Argentina.

Why? It's a sporting rivalry, you always want your rivals to lose? Is it petty I would support someone against Hibs in a cup final? How is it different?

Also - and I live here surrounded by them, I'd repeat, the ones who care about football definitely do see us as a rival, and want us to lose every game. Your Jonny come lately glory hunter may give it the old 'we'd supporrt scotland' line, but anyone I know who supports England actively definitely does not like us and sees us as a rival. 

3 minutes ago, Dalstonjambo said:

Why? It's a sporting rivalry, you always want your rivals to lose? Is it petty I would support someone against Hibs in a cup final? How is it different?

Also - and I live here surrounded by them, I'd repeat, the ones who care about football definitely do see us as a rival, and want us to lose every game. Your Jonny come lately glory hunter may give it the old 'we'd supporrt scotland' line, but anyone I know who supports England actively definitely does not like us and sees us as a rival. 

No mate I do the same, I'm just talking about when people are way over the score ragin or greetin aboot it. I get that way about Scotland games right enough, if England reached the final I might be the same, but kickin off about a group game for England is a wee bit daft imo. And I seen plenty folk d that.

HeartofHartley
2 hours ago, maroonnicky63 said:

ha ha you say , what a load of nonsense , if Scotland are not there I support England just my choice but you carry on with your anti English theme if you like my Father fought along side them in the war and he along with others got on ok with them so what's not to like

Let's not get into that. In fact let's just stick to Hearts. 

England, Spain and Argentina I hope do well.

Although I live in France I hope they get knocked out early doors and the same goes for Australia.

Anyone cheering for England in the World Cup "because we come from the same island" is the same sort of person who would cheer on Hibs in Europe "because we come from the same city"

Both are our oldest footballing rivals and anybody on this forum should want both of them to fall into a death spiral of abject failure at every chance.

LochcarronJambo
13 minutes ago, Cade said:

Anyone cheering for England in the World Cup "because we come from the same island" is the same sort of person who would cheer on Hibs in Europe "because we come from the same city"

Both are our oldest footballing rivals and anybody on this forum should want both of them to fall into a death spiral of abject failure at every chance.

TOTALLY CORRECT 

2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Although I live in France I hope they get knocked out early doors and the same goes for Australia.

Out of interest, why?

20 minutes ago, Cade said:

Absolutely agree Cade.

Although I hope they do OK I would draw the line at 'cheering for them' and it won't exactly break my heart when they get eliminated.

If forced to 'cheer' for any side this year it would be Spain.

Just now, redjambo said:

Out of interest, why?

Without getting too much into it Red, I can't stand the bloody French.

2 minutes ago, Fly the Saltire said:

Germany or maybe Russia just to see the look on Theresa May's face.i

:robbo: That would be funny!!

8 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Without getting too much into it Red, I can't stand the bloody French.

Are you a masochist then? Why are you living there? :)

26 minutes ago, Cade said:

Some people here were cheering Hibs in the Cup final apparently. Probably not the same people supporting England though! :D  I don't know, I like Wales because I feel they're a lot like us, underdogs and pretty near to us geographically. I've never been able to stomach Republic of Ireland because of the Celtic fans, or NI because of Rangers (if Lafferty was in it though I might give them a cheer).

36 minutes ago, Cade said:

I will always consider Hibs a Leith team, and never consider Leith t b Edinburgh.

7 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Are you a masochist then? Why are you living there? :)

Too many good things eg. weather, close proximity to Italy for fantastic food and drink, the cafes, our daily activities etc. to worry about the people.

Plus, I'm a masochist :)

People thinking that English fans would support Scotland if the roles were reversed... :vrface: 

4 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

People thinking that English fans would support Scotland if the roles were reversed... :vrface: 

Why would England support us, too many xenophobics in our support

17 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

TBF some might if you told them Scotland was an English county :D

LochcarronJambo
14 minutes ago, jb66 said:

Why would England support us, too many xenophobics in our support

Wtf

LochcarronJambo

When I was in Liverpool during 1978 World Cup, I watched the Peru v Scotland match in a pub .. the place went berserk with joy every time Peru scored......never forgot it... 

1 hour ago, Sarah O said:

Who cares what other fans think? That shouldn't influence your decision whether you want a team to win or not.

6 hours ago, Dalstonjambo said:

Traitor! ?

11 hours ago, Smithee said:

Except those of us with German grandparents of course!

And my sister who was born in Hanover military hospital. 

PHM should support a bridesmaid team like  Portugal, Sweden, Denmark ( winners of Euro 92, dreams do come true) or Uruguay (yes Shaun Lawson they have won a World Cup) 

5 minutes ago, Deek said:

And my sister who was born in Hanover military hospital. 

PHM should support a bridesmaid team like  Portugal, Sweden, Denmark ( winners of Euro 92, dreams do come true) or Uruguay (yes Shaun Lawson they have won a World Cup) 

Shaun Lawson still getting a mention on here :sob:

Good poster imo.

HeartofIron

As I'm English, I think I'll support England. 

Though, just for clarity, I firmly believe we'll get horsed out in the group stages. 

Pretty painful watching England these days. 

Still, you never know, one day I may be able to get my 'ABS'  T shirt out for one of the major tournaments...... ?

Unknown user
8 minutes ago, HeartofIron said:

As I'm English, I think I'll support England. 

Though, just for clarity, I firmly believe we'll get horsed out in the group stages. 

Pretty painful watching England these days. 

Still, you never know, one day I may be able to get my 'ABS'  T shirt out for one of the major tournaments...... ?

You have a decent team, I reckon you'll do the usual - get to the quarters, raising everyone's hopes along the way, then lose on penalties and riot like feck.

letsalldothebeattie

As always come tournament time since Euro 2000 it’s Portugal for me again. Until Scotland qualify again Portugal are my adopted Tournament team 

On 14/03/2018 at 13:36, LesJambes said:

I think it doesn't help that a lot of the English people up here are the upper middle class snobby types, when I worked at M&S and they did my head in, so self righteous some of them. There were some Scots like that too, but nowhere near as many. That said I suppose the more down to earth folk down south aren't as objectionable.

Thinking about this it probably comes across as very bigoted, so I apologise to anyone English here for this post. When I think of it some of the people I admire most, Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins, Arthur C Clarke, Stephen Hawking, Charles Darwin, are all English so it's unfair to judge everyone because of Maggie Thatcher and Boris Johnson and their ilk.

That said in good friendly competetive spirits I wish England a good pumping on the field :P but hope no innocent fans from any team get hurt by hoooliganism.

On 14/03/2018 at 16:30, Cade said:

Bang on!!!

I’ll be supporting anyone who’s playing against the overpaid, primadonna, guffies!!!

jack D and coke
19 hours ago, Morgan said:

Shaun Lawson still getting a mention on here :sob:

Good poster imo.

He’s still around on another hearts forum. 

5 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Are you allowed to say which one?

Or can you not 'talk' about it? :wink:

7 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I wasn't aware e any other Hearts forums so I did a google search. WTF is the 'Salt n Sauce' one about? :D Hearts n Hibs forum, that's bound t d well! :D 

On 13/03/2018 at 17:50, DH1986 said:

Wanting England to win the WC is similar to wanting Hibs to win the SC.

Lies.

Half the people saying anyone but England probably claim to support an English team. Nothing wrong with doing so, just a tad ironic for me if you follow English football and claim to hate the national team.

12 minutes ago, Locky said:

Lies.

Half the people saying anyone but England probably claim to support an English team. Nothing wrong with doing so, just a tad ironic for me if you follow English football and claim to hate the national team.

Totally agree with you Locky.

Archived