Who should we support in the World Cup?

LesJambes

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't get me wrong, I find events like England losing to Iceland hilarious, but at the same time, I'm happy to see them do well.
Would love to see them knock Russia out.

jambo-fletch

England for me! Normally like to see Italy do well, will be strange without them!

13 minutes ago, jambo-fletch said:

England for me! Normally like to see Italy do well, will be strange without them!

No Italy or Netherlands. :(

4 hours ago, graygo said:

Is the first verse not banned?  :whistling:  

Heh! Well, the current first verse then. I can even carry a bit of the old East German anthem too. 

3 hours ago, Deek said:

Those picking Germany are glory hunters and not PHM! 

I'm picking them in the hope I'll get my hole if they do well. 

1 hour ago, LesJambes said:

Why does everyone support Germany? Is it just to wind up the English *****?

No. It's just I'd have to spend 2 weeks in the cooler if I didn't. 

5 hours ago, Escobar PHM said:

You do know how offensive that phrase is now yeh ? 

Interesting fact about "Deutschland Über Alles". The original meaning and intention was not the German nation above all others or that the rest were all beneath them. 

It was a call to the German people to put their country before other things. That Germany should be above all else in their thoughts. If I remember correctly, it was written early on in Germany's history, when they'd really just unified all the little states in to one country and was written to try and instil some patriotic pride in a relatively young country. 

So I believe anyway. 

lauriesrank
5 hours ago, Escobar PHM said:

You do know how offensive that phrase is now yeh ? 

Seriously how is it offensive???????????????????????????????????????  I will assume that not many people realise that it was a NAZist slogan, however, the term itself isn't inherently bad, of course you should be singing 'eingkeit und recht und freiheit' however, I'll take it as read, as stated, that not many people think it's wrong saying 'Deutschland uber alles'

Anyway, I will not be supporting Germany, however, I will hope they play well and win the tournament.... if they play the best, if they do not, I will (hopefully) be appreciating a months worth of excelletn fitbaw and still cheer on the winners (apart from england of course.)

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

UWe've never had a true World Cup upset. I'd love to see one - ****ing Iran or Peru or Serbia or someone. 

Look forward to all the slavers saying Belgium are dark horses. 

Same mugs that back PSG in the Champions League every year. 

I'll not be supporting anyone due to Italys demise and the fact its in Russia. WC GTF.

Bridge of Djoum
6 hours ago, Escobar PHM said:

Ask your ‘forebears’ or ask Pete Doherty or Robbie Williams. Ask anyone who is German. Ask anyone who is Jewish. Or just educate yourself in 5 minutes on google. 

Anyhoo. It’s non expansionist cosmopolitan free and just modern Germany for me. 

Although far more important to me that we see a decent tournament with reward for adventure and bus parkers sent home early doors 

Wow! Very aggressive reply to a simple question.

Escobar PHM
4 hours ago, New York Fleapit said:

Wow! Very aggressive reply to a simple question.

Pot. Kettle ?

Independence
14 hours ago, LesJambes said:

Obviously everyone playing England, but other than that who should we support in the World Cup? We need to divide up the World Cup by clubs, so for instance Aberdeen can have Iceland because of Arnasson, Hibs can have Morocco cuz of Rherras. Who should the jambos support? Eg Czech Rep because of Skacel, except they're no in it.

England for me. We must support our neighbours! 

The Real Maroonblood
16 minutes ago, Independence said:

:lenny:

49 minutes ago, deesidejambo said:

Russia.   Or they will bomb us.

If the government had any balls, which they, evidently, don't, they should tell Russia to ram their World Cup and encourage others to boycott it also. 

They're taking the piss with this poisoning malarky. Action not words, May.

Nookie Bear
7 minutes ago, Boab said:

If the government had any balls, which they, evidently, don't, they should tell Russia to ram their World Cup and encourage others to boycott it also. 

They're taking the piss with this poisoning malarky. Action not words, May.

Possibly Shed material but if the football team are withdrawn (and i assume this would be a government decision) then that would have to be done as part of a nationwide instruction to stop all dealings with Russia, including financial.

So...it won't happen.

ScottieMac17

Ever since Larry Kingston was here iv went for Ghana. 

Since Scotland and Ghana arn't in it i'll probably just be neutral and just enjoy each game for what they are.

maroonnicky63
Just now, HeartofHartley said:

I hope these are both jokes. 

You think Harry Kane is not a good player or there are no English fans on this site who support Hearts but still want England to do well ??

maroonnicky63
Just now, HeartofHartley said:

I hope these are both jokes. 

You think Harry Kane is not a good player or there are no English fans on this site who support Hearts but still want England to do well ??

Unknown user
13 hours ago, Deek said:

Those picking Germany are glory hunters and not PHM! 

Except those of us with German grandparents of course!

14 hours ago, Geoff the Mince said:

Chetnik Geoff  with Serbia ,

Gob bless my Slavic brothers ??

I like Serbia, but for the exact opposite reasons from you. Not for the genocide, but their Communist history in Yugoslavia. I have to say with no offence meant to our friends here that's why I'll never understand why people jump to supporting Germany.

3 hours ago, Independence said:

This one definitely has to be a joke! :D

1 hour ago, ScottieMac17 said:

Ever since Larry Kingston was here iv went for Ghana. 

Since Scotland and Ghana arn't in it i'll probably just be neutral and just enjoy each game for what they are.

Prince Buaben too. I like Ghana. I want to go to Cameroon next year for the African Cup of Nations, I'll probably go to see Ghana.

Sir Vladimir of Romanov
16 hours ago, Sarah O said:

Argentina ?? or Germany ?? 

Were you not quite vocal that religion and politics should be kept of of football on another thread? 

There is no need to deface the Hearts crest with your political view. 

5 minutes ago, Sir Vladimir of Romanov said:

Were you not quite vocal that religion and politics should be kept of of football on another thread? 

There is no need to deface the Hearts crest with your political view. 

Am i allowed my political view near it then? 

3 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Possibly Shed material but if the football team are withdrawn (and i assume this would be a government decision) then that would have to be done as part of a nationwide instruction to stop all dealings with Russia, including financial.

So...it won't happen.

Indeed.

As I said, they're spineless !

Any of the underdogs but, failing that, England.

I used to be vociferously anti-England but I lived down there for a few years and realised that not only are they the same as us but this anti-English chip on the block that many of we Scots have is just childish beyond belief.

Why is it hard for some to digest the fact someone would support England ? Dont judge,  you know nothing of their personal lives. Personally I will support the team I have on my fixed odds and if that's England so be it.

Geoff the Mince
1 hour ago, LesJambes said:

I like Serbia, but for the exact opposite reasons from you. Not for the genocide, but their Communist history in Yugoslavia. I have to say with no offence meant to our friends here that's why I'll never understand why people jump to supporting Germany.

This one definitely has to be a joke! :D

Prince Buaben too. I like Ghana. I want to go to Cameroon next year for the African Cup of Nations, I'll probably go to see Ghana.

Chetniks were  involved in genocide?  And if you mean the 1990s those men were not Chetniks.  

30 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I used to be vociferously anti-England but I lived down there for a few years and realised that not only are they the same as us but this anti-English chip on the block that many of we Scots have is just childish beyond belief.

Couldn't agree more! Wee Nic and the nasty nats have hoodwinked a population with a negative agenda. 

1 minute ago, Des Lynam said:

Couldn't agree more! Wee Nic and the nasty nats have hoodwinked a population with a negative agenda. 

I have to disagree with this though. Knee-jerk anti-English sentiment has existed since long before the SNP were even a relevance. It has certainly been around since I was a kid, and I'm no spring chicken.

HeartofHartley
2 hours ago, maroonnicky63 said:

I think Kane is a great player but that isn't a reason to support England. Only English people should actively support England. 

8 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I have to disagree with this though. Knee-jerk anti-English sentiment has existed since long before the SNP were even a relevance. It has certainly been around since I was a kid, and I'm no spring chicken.

Yeah you're right. I just like having a go at the SNP! 

8 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Yeah you're right. I just like having a go at the SNP! 

:D Good of you to admit it.

44 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I think it doesn't help that a lot of the English people up here are the upper middle class snobby types, when I worked at M&S and they did my head in, so self righteous some of them. There were some Scots like that too, but nowhere near as many. That said I suppose the more down to earth folk down south aren't as objectionable.

1 hour ago, jb66 said:

Below it is acceptable, thanks

Thanx.

Will modify.

1 minute ago, LesJambes said:

I think it doesn't help that a lot of the English people up here are the upper middle class snobby types, when I worked at M&S and they did my head in, so self righteous some of them. There were some Scots like that too, but nowhere near as many. That said I suppose the more down to earth folk down south aren't as objectionable.

How extraordinarily generous-spirited of you, LesJambes. ;)

2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

How extraordinarily generous-spirited of you, LesJambes. ;)

Let it never be said Les Jambes is closed-minded! :D

19 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Will be supporting Argentina. Messi is obviously some player, would be great to see him get his hands on the trophy

And give a big F--- U to Ronaldo as he does it

maroonnicky63
24 minutes ago, HeartofHartley said:

I think Kane is a great player but that isn't a reason to support England. Only English people should actively support England. 

ha ha you say , what a load of nonsense , if Scotland are not there I support England just my choice but you carry on with your anti English theme if you like my Father fought along side them in the war and he along with others got on ok with them so what's not to like

LochcarronJambo

Unbelievable that some so called Scots Hearts fans would even think about supporting England, they treat us with contempt & always have done, been treated very badly by them on numerous Wembley trips, Spent my whole life devoted to Hearts & Scotland but this nonesense sickens me 

Archived