Levein *POLL*

davemclaren

Levein - stay or go poll  

1,335 members have voted

1. 1. Should Craig go before new season or be allowed to start the new season?

• Craig should not be manager for next season
    • Craig should be manager at the start of the new season

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/03/18 at 12:01

Enzo Chiefo
3 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

We were the worst team in the league based on results under the previous manager. We're the 6th best over the current season despite the previous manager doing (badly) all of the preparation for the current season. Now you can think what you like about the decision to appoint the previous manager in the first place and the timing of the decision to end his fairly disastrous tenure, but it's utterly ludicrous to try to claim that there hasn't been significant improvement since Levein took over as manager. 

Utterly ludicrous. 

We've not improved in an attacking sense . The goals scored column proves that. Form tables are meaningless and reflected a collapse during the meaningless post split fixtures where we  only collected 1 point I think. The same thing will probably happen this season if we make top 6. Cathro's preparation for the season included signing Berra and Lafferty. Levein admitted that they, as he was heavily involved, misjudged the return to training the previous season and were not properly prepared for Europe.  

On Saturday , Steve Clarke responded to Rangers chasing the game at 0-1 by bringing on a striker.and saw the game out. What woukd Levein have done? The previous week Rodgers did much the same, a bold approach that saw them get the 3 points  . Again, what woukd Levein have done? The modern game requires managers with flexible ideas and , unfortunately, as a stubborn Iindividual with fixed ideas, Craig Levein IMO can't adapt to that. We will not win a trophy under him. I appreciate a section of the support aren't bothered by that and are quite happy to plod along with him.. but a lot of us aren't.

Edited by Enzo Chiefo

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Thomaso

• Pasquale for King

• frankblack

davemclaren
8 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

We've not improved in an attacking sense . The goals scored column proves that. Form tables are meaningless and reflected a collapse during the meaningless post split fixtures where we  only collected 1 point I think. The same thing will probably happen this season if we make top 6. Cathro's preparation for the season included signing Berra and Lafferty. Levein admitted that they, as he was heavily involved, misjudged the return to training the previous season and were not properly prepared for Europe.  

On Saturday , Steve Clarke responded to Rangers chasing the game at 0-1 by bringing on a striker.and saw the game out. What woukd Levein have done? The previous week Rodgers did much the same, a bold approach that saw them get the 3 points  . Again, what woukd Levein have done? The modern game requires managers with flexible ideas and , unfortunately, as a stubborn Iindividual with fixed ideas, Craig Levein IMO can't adapt to that. We will not win a trophy under him. I appreciate a section of the support aren't bothered by that and are quite happy to plod along with him.. but a lot of us aren't.

To be fair I think ‘a section’ of the support just don’t agree with you, rather than not want to win a trophy. 

23 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

13 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

To be fair I think ‘a section’ of the support just don’t agree with you, rather than not want to win a trophy. 

What trophies are we counting, here?  Neilson won a trophy in his first season.  That turned out well.

I went to my first game in the 70s.  Not counting lower league trophies, we've won three 'proper' trophies in my lifetime with teams managed by JJ, Ivanauskas and Sergio.  Making a statement like 'we will not win a trophy under him' is a claim that could be made about the majority of men who have managed Hearts.

You sometimesget the feeling that if Levein were to win a trophy, some of our support just would not be able to celebrate it.  Which would be funny and a shame in equal measures.

FarmerTweedy
On 17/03/2018 at 20:52, Enzo Chiefo said:

Excellent article. Can't disagree with anything there.

Utterly pish article.

Bazzas right boot
20 minutes ago, Haken said:

What trophies are we counting, here?  Neilson won a trophy in his first season.  That turned out well.

I went to my first game in the 70s.  Not counting lower league trophies, we've won three 'proper' trophies in my lifetime with teams managed by JJ, Ivanauskas and Sergio.  Making a statement like 'we will not win a trophy under him' is a claim that could be made about the majority of men who have managed Hearts.

You sometimesget the feeling that if Levein were to win a trophy, some of our support just would not be able to celebrate it.  Which would be funny and a shame in equal measures.

So true, on fact  the flip side, winning a trophy will be a massive girfuy to parts of our support as they have put themselves in a corner with their hatred towards one of our own.

Sad Indeed.

sairyinthat
3 hours ago, frankblack said:

You are wasting your time there.  He will conveniently ignore everything you say and repeat it again in a day or so when he thinks its safe to do so.  He also fails to understand the difference between facts and statistics, despite boasting about it.

Homer-Simpson-Statistics.png

Correct.

53 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Yip, Dave.

FarmerTweedy
1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The bit in bold is one of the most moronic things I've read on jkb in quite some time. Most of the managers we've had in the past never won a trophy. Most of the managers we'll have in the future won't win us any trophies. A lot of people are sensible enough to realise this. It doesn't mean they particularly like it, or care less about the club being successful, which is your clear insinuation.

As for 'form tables are meaningless', that's utter shite too. We were pretty much the worst team in the league for Cathro's entire spell in charge. We're now 6th in the league despite being hampered by the effects of Cathro's spell in charge even after he left. We've clearly improved significantly since Levein took over (even if we've not improved as much as we'd all ideally like). Anyone who can't see we've improved is a complete and utter idiot. Anyone who can see it but chooses to argue that we haven't anyway is a complete arsehole.

Enzo Chiefo
17 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

So true, on fact  the flip side, winning a trophy will be a massive girfuy to parts of our support as they have put themselves in a corner with their hatred towards one of our own.

Sad Indeed.

What is this "one of our own" pish that I keep hearing.? Means nothing. Was he even a Hearts supporter??  Jim Jefferies, boyhood fan, player, captain and trophy winning manager. Ive necer heard anyone say a bad word about him. An absolute legend . Unfortunately he end up getting sacked because of performances and results. What makes Levein above scrutiny?? We were knocking on the door for trophies under Doddie and again under JJ...2 finals before winning the 3rd. My problem with CL is we've never even been down the garden path, never mind knocking on the door. Again, everyone is entitled to their opinion, nothing sad about it, and don't worry I've not boxed myself into any corner. 

3 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

What is this "one of our own" pish that I keep hearing.? Means nothing. Was he even a Hearts supporter??  Jim Jefferies, boyhood fan, player, captain and trophy winning manager. Ive necer heard anyone say a bad word about him. An absolute legend . Unfortunately he end up getting sacked because of performances and results. What makes Levein above scrutiny?? We were knocking on the door for trophies under Doddie and again under JJ...2 finals before winning the 3rd. My problem with CL is we've never even been down the garden path, never mind knocking on the door. Again, everyone is entitled to their opinion, nothing sad about it, and don't worry I've not boxed myself into any corner. 

:vrface:

4 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Our current manager has only been in charge for about half of those games, and got most of those wins despite taking over a very badly prepared squad.

The stat may be factually accurate, but it's of very little relevance. 

He's won 9 in 27. Whoppeeeee.

Its also extremely relevance as it shows Levein has turned around very little in terms of results and that in relation to the original point that the fans have been watching garbage for some considerable time. 

Edited by Hendricks

Enzo Chiefo
7 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

The bit in bold is one of the most moronic things I've read on jkb in quite some time. Most of the managers we've had in the past never won a trophy. Most of the managers we'll have in the future won't win us any trophies. A lot of people are sensible enough to realise this. It doesn't mean they particularly like it, or care less about the club being successful, which is your clear insinuation.

As for 'form tables are meaningless', that's utter shite too. We were pretty much the worst team in the league for Cathro's entire spell in charge. We're now 6th in the league despite being hampered by the effects of Cathro's spell in charge even after he left. We've clearly improved significantly since Levein took over (even if we've not improved as much as we'd all ideally like). Anyone who can't see we've improved is a complete and utter idiot. Anyone who can see it but chooses to argue that we haven't anyway is a complete arsehole.

Utter drivel  . Head in the sand stuff. So we were the worst team in the league under Cathro but finished 5th?? Now, still suffering the debilitating affects of Cathro...whatever that tosh means, we've really improved and are sitting 6th?? Religious like faith in Levein knows no bounds.

What striker would you have put on?

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

You're right about one thing-

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

FarmerTweedy
3 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Utter drivel  . Head in the sand stuff. So we were the worst team in the league under Cathro but finished 5th?? Now, still suffering the debilitating affects of Cathro...whatever that tosh means, we've really improved and are sitting 6th?? Religious like faith in Levein knows no bounds.

Cathro wasn't in charge for a full season. We finished 5th because we'd been doing very well under Cathro's predecessor. 

There's no religion involved, just facts, something you clearly have an aversion to. 

davemclaren

To be fair we finished 5th mainly due to points accumulated prior to Cathro’s arrival. 

FarmerTweedy
3 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

You're right about one thing-

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Enzo's opinion seems to be that facts and reality are things for other people than him!

I'm genuinely staggered that people cant see an improvement from Cathro to Levein? We are by no way the finished article and improvements will go on but comon? Its a much better product on the park now.

Bad Religion
16 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

:raging:

2 minutes ago, VladMagic said:

I'm genuinely staggered that people cant see an improvement from Cathro to Levein? We are by no way the finished article and improvements will go on but comon? Its a much better product on the park now.

While I'm in the Levein to stay camp, I'd say the product has been harder to beat but hasn't been particularly pleasing on the eye in the majority of games. 

7 minutes ago, Haken said:

While I'm in the Levein to stay camp, I'd say the product has been harder to beat but hasn't been particularly pleasing on the eye in the majority of games. 

True, but as the saying goes you can only piss with the ****** you've got.

That is why we clearly need to strengthen the squad, particularly in terms of width and pace.

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

True, but as the saying goes you can only piss with the ****** you've got.

That is why we clearly need to strengthen the squad, particularly in terms of width and pace.

No argument from me.

JamboGraham

On Saturday , Steve Clarke responded to Rangers chasing the game at 0-1 by bringing on a striker.and saw the game out. What woukd Levein have done?

To be fair Steve Clarke had already brought on the only midfielder he had on the bench and Mulumbu was running on fumes by the 83rd minute.

The only choices were (1) to disrupt the defence that was holding OK (2) bring a defender on to play in the midfield or (3) bring a striker on to play in midfield and chase anything that went long. Given the options on the bench Lee Erwin was the most obvious player to bring on to help support the midfield.

Not exactly ground breaking stuff...

FarmerTweedy

19 points from 22 league games under Cathro last season. 

7 points from 4 league cup group games against a championship team, a league one team, and two league two teams under Cathro this season. 

38 points from 27 league games under Levein this season. 

Just how detached from reality does someone have to be to argue that there hasn't been significant improvement since Levein took over?????

7 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

To be fair Steve Clarke had already brought on the only midfielder he had on the bench and Mulumbu was running on fumes by the 83rd minute.

The only choices were (1) to disrupt the defence that was holding OK (2) bring a defender on to play in the midfield or (3) bring a striker on to play in midfield and chase anything that went long. Given the options on the bench Lee Erwin was the most obvious player to bring on to help support the midfield.

Not exactly ground breaking stuff...

Some might interpret that as bad management.

Mars plastic
22 minutes ago, Haken said:

Kilmarnock have also become harder to beat. Unlike us though, they've also developed a habit of winning.

Enzo Chiefo
40 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

What striker would you have put on?

Ahhh you've stumbled upon the conundrum. Its needs a gaffer that values strikers. If you sell 2 in January then you leave yourself short. How about playing Naismith in his proper position?? 

Bazzas right boot
30 minutes ago, VladMagic said:

Folk that can't see an improvement should probably give up football.

Bazzas right boot
13 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

19 points from 22 league games under Cathro last season. 

7 points from 4 league cup group games against a championship team, a league one team, and two league two teams under Cathro this season. 

38 points from 27 league games under Levein this season. 

Just how detached from reality does someone have to be to argue that there hasn't been significant improvement since Levein took over?????

The Cathro stats are actually frightening.

We've also

Set a club record in clean sheets.

Ended the Celtic hoodoo.

Eventually beat hibs and ****ing St Johnstone.

We, ofc need to improve further, but to say we haven't improved is ridiculous.

Kilmarnock have improved more, but that doesn't mean we haven't improved.

Edited by BigDave'sHeed

davemclaren

Ahhh you've stumbled upon the conundrum. Its needs a gaffer that values strikers. If you sell 2 in January then you leave yourself short. How about playing Naismith in his proper position?? 

I watched a sky tv interview with Naismith on Saturday and he said himself that he’s not an out and out striker. 

15 minutes ago, Mars plastic said:

Kilmarnock have also become harder to beat. Unlike us though, they've also developed a habit of winning.

Do you think we should make a move for Clarke?  Have you given up on yon Wright fella at St Johnstone?

FarmerTweedy
11 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

We've also

Ended the Celtic hoodoo.

We actually took 10 points from the first 8 under Cathro then only 9 from the next 14, which indicates that things were going further downhill as his spell in charge went on. There's little doubt in my mind that we'd be bottom of the league right now if he was still in charge (this sentence is of course opinion rather than fact!).

I'm absolutely fine with people having differences of opinion over whether we've improved as much as we should have under CL or whether he's the right man to try to continue the improvement, but to not actually be able to see an improvement, someone would have to be absolutely looneytunes!

Mars plastic
Just now, Haken said:

Do you think we should make a move for Clarke?  Have you given up on yon Wright fella at St Johnstone?

We'll not be making a move for anyone as we already have a manager.

Wright is having a poor season compared to the last few good finishes they've had, however, they're only 8 points behind us with a game in hand and won one less game this season. Given their two men and a dug support and an average player wage of under 50K a year he's still making a rather good fist of it.

One thing that does surprise me is that Martin Canning hasn't been asked to go elsewhere. How he's kept Hamilton in the league for the last 4 years, a club with less than 300 ST holders, is somewhat impressive.

Enzo Chiefo
41 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I watched a sky tv interview with Naismith on Saturday and he said himself that he’s not an out and out striker. 

What's an out and out striker nowadays Dave? In his career to date, he's certainly been more renowned and had greater success as a striker than a midfielder.

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

What's an out and out striker nowadays Dave? In his career to date, he's certainly been more renowned and had greater success as a striker than a midfielder.

It was his words not mine but I think he’s more suited playing just behind a striker ( or strikers ?) at this stage of his career. 

Bazzas right boot
48 minutes ago, Mars plastic said:

We'll not be making a move for anyone as we already have a manager.

Wright is having a poor season compared to the last few good finishes they've had, however, they're only 8 points behind us with a game in hand and won one less game this season. Given their two men and a dug support and an average player wage of under 50K a year he's still making a rather good fist of it.

One thing that does surprise me is that Martin Canning hasn't been asked to go elsewhere. How he's kept Hamilton in the league for the last 4 years, a club with less than 300 ST holders, is somewhat impressive.

Decent shout.

There are a few good managers about just now.

Craig is one of them.

i wish jj was my dad
32 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

It was his words not mine but I think he’s more suited playing just behind a striker ( or strikers ?) at this stage of his career. 

You mean where he has normally been playing for us?

All Out Attack
2 hours ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

We've also

Ended the Celtic hoodoo.

We can all pick 3 or 4 instances to try and back up our position and say we have improved, but remember we are 6th in the league after 31 games. And don't forget Levein had been the man pretty much throughout. 

I honestly think you and I could manage Hearts and do better job than Cathro, so that is not that much of an achievement. 

Cathro's problem seemed to be that he was a complete and utter half-wit, although he at least wasn't playing school kids to deflect criticism. 

The football this season has been eye-bleeding on most occasions especially away from home. Like a few on here, I have now stopped travelling with Hearts. That is no way for a football club to be run. 

It has not been good enough under any circumstances. 

Edited by All Out Attack

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, All Out Attack said:

We can all pick 3 or 4 instances to try and back up our position and say we have improved, but remember we are 6th in the league after 31 games. And don't forget Levein had been the man pretty much throughout. 

I honestly think you and I could manage Hearts and do better job than Cathro, so that is not that much of an achievement. 

Cathro's problem seemed to be that he was a complete and utter half-wit, although he at least wasn't playing school kids to deflect criticism. 

The football this season has been eye-bleeding on most occasions especially away from home. Like a few on here, I have now stopped travelling with Hearts. That is no way for a football club to be run. 

Is our away form any worse than the last twenty years?

Haven't checked. I know it's better than last year,. Think we only won at 2 grounds last season.

So we have improved in almost all areas, even the ones you focus on.

Why don't you acknowledge we have improved quite a bit, I'll acknowledge we need to improve more. 

We can then both get behind the manager and team and see what happens after Craig's first full transfer window.

Your last statement is ridiculous and given the improvement we both agree has happened, is untrue.

Such a dramatic statement that serves no purpose.

9 minutes ago, All Out Attack said:

A post of slaver and drivel from start to finish.

Great effort.

Mars plastic
52 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Decent shout.

There are a few good managers about just now.

Craig is one of them.

If he can improve our away form and his utterly woeful record in Glasgow against the OF then I’ll be inclined to agree with that. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Mars plastic said:

If he can improve our away form and his utterly woeful record in Glasgow against the OF then I’ll be inclined to agree with that. 

Technically he has already improved our overall away form v last year.

12 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

He also took us further in the cup and halted Hibs unbeaten derby run, two things that were must-dos according to the anti-Levein gum bumpers. He even threw in a bonus Celtic win. Now it’s “must beat the OF away.” They really are master goalpost shifters.

Edited by socrates82

Mars plastic
12 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Our away form is dreadful, Tosh, as well you know. Our record against the OF in Glasgow is probably only surpassed by Aberdeen. We also need to give a far better account at ER next year as the two performances this year were unacceptable. 

Enzo Chiefo
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Strikers? I like the sound of that. Rekindling memories of the old 4-3-3 days.

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Strikers? I like the sound of that. Rekindling memories of the old 4-3-3 days.

Not very fashionable these days. Robertson, Colquhoun and Clark - what memories. 

All Out Attack
26 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Is our away form any worse than the last twenty years?

Haven't checked. I know it's better than last year,. Think we only won at 2 grounds last season.

So we have improved in almost all areas, even the ones you focus on.

Why don't you acknowledge we have improved quite a bit, I'll acknowledge we need to improve more. 

We can then both get behind the manager and team and see what happens after Craig's first full transfer window.

Your last statement is ridiculous and given the improvement we both agree has happened, is untrue.

Such a dramatic statement that serves no purpose.

Levein has had his chance and is yesterday's man.

Four years is just too long to have total control of the football side, especially with us in such a mess squad wise. 

I also have no intention of giving Levein or his trainees any slack either until we greatly improve our he is sacked. I have also written to Budge several times indicating the significant disquiet over the status of our football squad and its performance.