Can I Support an EPL team?

Beast Boy

Do I just choose one at random? 

When can I refer to that team as ‘us’ or ‘we’?

Cheers.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have had an attachment to them ever since that first glimpse of silverware.

Football is a global game.

Here to help.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Cracking tweet the other night on Man City and the bit of bother with Wigan police. 

This is what happens when you recruit your fans from Chelsea it read.

I think you can follow a team but not really a supporter unless you somehow put cash in. Merchandise membership etc etc 

I grew up liking Arsenal (bergkamp, overmars did it) and have been to a few games.

I would never call them 'us or we' though and to be honest, i barely watch or show interest in English football anymore. 

Its all about Hearts! 

3 minutes ago, glynnlondon said:

You have had an attachment to them ever since that first glimpse of silverware.

Football is a global game.

Here to help.

I like a lot of bands that come from Manchester. Back in the day they used to wear City strips or wave them about on stage...  Can I support them?

I absolutely loved the Newcastle United team on the mid to late nineties... Can I support them?

I’m mad for cool animals. Wolves have to be in with a shout... when they get back to the money leagues... 

It’s all so confusing...

Салатные палочки
4 minutes ago, assessor said:

Hearts and Scotland ,all I need from football

:spoton:

Although junior teams are allowed. 

1 minute ago, Ryder said:

I like a lot of bands that come from Manchester. Back in the day they used to wear City strips or wave them about on stage...  Can I support them?

I absolutely loved the Newcastle United team on the mid to late nineties... Can I support them?

I’m mad for cool animals. Wolves have to be in with a shout... when they get back to the money leagues... 

It’s all so confusing...

I wouldn't bother with Hartlepool , they hung a monkey.

My Mrs is from Manchester, family of reds  so I like to see utd win as her family do for us.

Often tell my boy he is lucky, HMFC as his proper team and UTD as his legitimate glory team.

20 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Cheers.

When I was wee, I liked Liverpool cos I liked Keegan and Toshack.

They were never referred to as ‘us’ or ‘we’ though.

Nowadays, I don’t bother with ‘other’ teams and I don’t know why folk would.

Was at a New York Red Bulls game and come across a guy wearing a kilt, turned out to be a yank and after a discussion on why he was wearing a kilt, he was just trying to be different, he rattled off all the teams he supported, Chelsea, Celtic, Barcelona, who were all their county's champions at the time.

Way of the world that people want to say they follow a successful team and randomly select on current successes.

2 minutes ago, assessor said:

Was at a New York Red Bulls game and come across a guy wearing a kilt, turned out to be a yank and after a discussion on why he was wearing a kilt, he was just trying to be different, he rattled off all the teams he supported, Chelsea, Celtic, Barcelona, who were all their county's champions at the time.

Way of the world that people want to say they follow a successful team and randomly select on current successes.

Jesus ****ing Muhammad Cristobel!

:rofl:

@Justin Z

Deal with this shit please! 

27 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Cheers.

I liked Liverpool growing up but that was purely based on the team the istanbul season. Not the success but how they played and the passion etc. I liked utd but that was basically just for scholes/giggs era. I’ve been to a chelsea game but hated it.  Room mate in uni over here in America was a city fan- die hard since the Lower league days. I’ve been to a couple games(Leicester away With a 1-0 win when they were bottom and middlesborough in the cup at home they lost) and fell smitten for them. Not a diehard fan at all but they are the only team I watch outside of hearts and Scotland. I sound like a glory hunter but for me I had an amazing experience with the and etc, love the passion and amount of diehards they have.

15 minutes ago, glynnlondon said:

Whose your BIG team in Scotland ??????? ?

Hold it Scotland are the big team..

....HMFC is our biggest team though..

Hope I cleared that up lol

3 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Mothy, you have enough trouble supporting Hearts, I wouldn't bother.

Harsh on Mothy Colin.

fabienleclerq

Not so much now but I used to have an english team and italian etc . Me and my old boy used to have derby opponents, just made watching the football a bit more interesting. The 'we' stuff I find strange as its only Hearts that either of us could use it for.

5 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Do I? 

Please explain...

2 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Not so much now but I used to have an english team and italian etc . Me and my old boy used to have derby opponents, just made watching the football a bit more interesting. The 'we' stuff I find strange as its only Hearts that either of us could use it for.

See, that’s kinda understandable... taking an interest in a team from another league. I did that with Inter Milan and Newcastle.

Question is though... can I claim to be a supporter? 

9 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Jesus ****ing Muhammad Cristobel!

:rofl:

@Justin Z

Deal with this shit please!

Seeing as the guy was from New York this doesn't even come as a slight surprise.

13 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Harsh, Colin.

Mothy loves Hearts, it's Hearts fans he has a problem with. 

1 minute ago, Ryder said:

See, that’s kinda understandable... taking an interest in a team from another league. I did that with Inter Milan and Newcastle.

No, no you can’t.

We went to Monaco games as season ticket holders for four years and it felt like shit. No way would I put any scarf around my neck that wasn’t a Hearts one. No way did I ever get remotely ‘bothered’ whether they won or lost.

Taking an interest, as you say, is completely different from ‘supporting’.

Your point is a good one.

Just now, Morgan said:

No, no you can’t.

We went to Monaco games as season ticket holders for four years and it felt like shit. No way would I put any scarf around my neck that wasn’t a Hearts one. No way did I ever get remotely ‘bothered’ whether they won or lost.

Not for the first time, Morgan... you have nailed it, I think. :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Harsh, Colin.

Mothy loves Hearts, it's Hearts fans he has a problem with. 

Explain...

Everyone seemed to adopt an English team when I was growing up just as a bit interest. (In the 70s and 80s).

But support? Na.....it's all about Hearts.  Hate hearing the young team these days refer to Chelsea or Man U as "we".  Cringey stuff.

But it's good there's some links between club's fans. I've met Spurs, Man U and Sheff Wed fans who like Hearts as their Scottish club because they made friends somewhere along the line , and nip up for games on the odd ocassion as a weekend away... The favour being returned of course.

10 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Seeing as the guy was from New York this doesn't even come as a slight surprise.

:lol:

fabienleclerq
11 minutes ago, Ryder said:

No I don't think so, or I certainly wouldn't. 

10 minutes ago, Morgan said:

No, no you can’t.

It is.

I "took an interest" in Hearts way back in 2004-05 during the UEFA Cup run. There was a terribly produced nightly "soccer" programme out of Canada also available on cable in the US called "Fox Sports World Report" which was one of the few tendrils of football info we had back then. I saw Hearts in the early rounds and basically thought "oh cool, a non-Celtic or Rangers Scottish team, I can actually hope they win". Was pretty pleased at the victory over Basel, but that was approximately the extent of my emotional attachment until I actually visited Edinburgh a decade later. No way could I have been rightly called a Hearts "supporter" then.

Well, fast forward that decade and another year later and rarely have I ever felt worse than I did walking over the bridge of doom after the replay defeat against Hibs.

But I know people who have lived in the States their whole lives who have grown deeply emotionally attached to clubs half a world away. My friend Odeen in Arizona is a massive Everton supporter and has travelled to see them play at Goodison and on the road on several occasions. Likewise my best Scottish friend is the biggest Yankees fan I have ever met, and that includes born-and-bred New Yorkers.

Support is a funny thing.

Edit: That same Scottish friend is also a huge Owls fan. He has been to Hillsborough at least a couple dozen times as well as supporting Wednesday away on at least as many occasions.

4 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Not for the first time, Morgan... you have nailed it, I think. :thumbsup:

If you don’t have a real ‘feeling’ for the match you are attending, or any real reason for wanting a particular team to succeed, then going to the football is meaningless.

3 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

It is.

I "took an interest" in Hearts way back in 2004-05 during the UEFA Cup run. There was a terribly produced nightly "soccer" programme out of Canada also available on cable in the US called "Fox Sports World Report" which was one of the few tendrils of football info we had back then. I saw Hearts in the early rounds and basically thought "oh cool, a non-Celtic or Rangers Scottish team, I can actually hope they win". Was pretty pleased at the victory over Basel, but that was approximately the extent of my emotional attachment until I actually visited Edinburgh a decade later. No way could I have been rightly called a Hearts "supporter" then.

Well, fast forward that decade and another year later and rarely have I ever felt worse than I did walking over the bridge of doom after the replay defeat against Hibs.

But I know people who have lived in the States their whole lives who have grown deeply emotionally attached to clubs half a world away. My friend Odeen in Arizona is a massive Everton supporter and has travelled to see them play at Goodison and on the road on several of occasions. Likewise my best Scottish friend is the biggest Yankees fan I have ever met, and that includes born-and-bred New Yorkers.

Good post J.

2 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

It is.

But I know people who have lived in the States their whole lives who have grown deeply emotionally attached to clubs half a world away. My friend Odeen in Arizona is a massive Everton supporter and has travelled to see them play at Goodison and on the road on several of occasions. Likewise my best Scottish friend is the biggest Yankees fan I have ever met, and that includes born-and-bred New Yorkers.

I have a lot of time for this Justin geezer ^^

16 minutes ago, Ryder said:

If you feel the pain and elation than yes. Especially the former. Loved watching united and Wednesday when I was down there, but can't remember a bad result ruining a weekend 

3 minutes ago, bigcoll said:

If you feel the pain and elation than yes. Especially the former. Loved watching united and Wednesday when I was down there, but can't remember a bad result ruining a weekend 

This is closest to what Imntalking about...

What justifies the ownership step? When do they become ‘we’ instead of ‘they’?

11 minutes ago, Ryder said:

This is closest to what Imntalking about...

What justifies the ownership step? When do they become ‘we’ instead of ‘they’?

I dunno, something just clicks. I'm not an Edinburgh lad but when I used to sing the hearts song going home from the pub?Even my mates know it now.

3 minutes ago, bigcoll said:

I dunno, something just clicks. I'm not an Edinburgh lad but when I used to sing the hearts song going home from the pub?Even my mates know it now.

:)

1 hour ago, Ryder said:

Cheers.

Choose the Hun, they think they are English or maybe a real equivalent like Barrow FC?

It should have been ten
1 hour ago, indianajones said:

I grew up liking Arsenal (bergkamp, overmars did it) and have been to a few games.

I would never call them 'us or we' though and to be honest, i barely watch or show interest in English football anymore. 

Its all about Hearts! 

Same here :thumb:

Just now, TNCASTLE said:

Choose the Hun, they think they are English or maybe a real equivalent like Barrow FC?

Thanks TNCASTLE, I’ll bear that in mind. ?

Archived