Can I Support an EPL team?

Beast Boy

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Quite. 

40 somethings - Liverpool

30 somethings - Man United and Arsenal

20 somethings - Man City and Chelsea

Go figure.

Theres a severe lack of Stoke and West Brom “fans” in Scotland. I really feel for those types of clubs.

I'm not sure you should "feel" for clubs like Stoke and West Brom. Those clubs are overwhelmingly supported by local fans and that is a huge part of their identity, which they love.

I would imagine there area good few Man Utd fans who cringe when they see some guy in Dundee wearing their top and have absolutely zero connection with them whatsoever, whereas it is likely that if i see someone in a Hearts top abroad then at least you can be certain they area fellow sufferer...er, i mean fan.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Ryder said:

Do I just choose one at random? 

When can I refer to that team as ‘us’ or ‘we’?

Cheers.

You can do what you want I guess.

Most people aren't creepily obsessed with what others do.

12 hours ago, Ryder said:

Cheers.

No, you can't choose one at random. You have to make a careful assessment of their Russian/Arab/American/Indonesian backers and the likelihood of them being jailed, shot, bankrupted or otherwise inconvenienced.

You then need to be sure that they're so wealthy that they can outbid any other Russian/Arab/etc backer of other teams.

After that you'll have to learn the names of a large number of foreign players you've never heard of before, ditto a lot of European managers, not only of 'your' team but opposition teams. Warning! You'll have to be able to spout their playing/managerial records at the drop of a hat to your glazed eyed pals.

Even after all that, if you daft enough to choose a team like Arsenal for instance you'll need to be able to think of any number of plausible reasons why they never win anything.

It's not easy to chose an EPL club to support, it takes dedication and commitment.

Just go along to watch your local club, or better still support Hearts, it's much more fun.

So if you do support an English club (by paying money in some form or another) and that surpasses your Hearts season ticket/FOH subscription etc, are you more of an English club supporter than a Hearts supporter? Quite an easy thing to do with tickets into the City Tunnel Club around £400 per person and a season ticket around 11k.

26 minutes ago, Jamos said:

So if you do support an English club (by paying money in some form or another) and that surpasses your Hearts season ticket/FOH subscription etc, are you more of an English club supporter than a Hearts supporter? Quite an easy thing to do with tickets into the City Tunnel Club around £400 per person and a season ticket around 11k.

The tunnel club...

Football support at its absolute worst. 

40 minutes ago, Jamos said:

Phew, still a Hearts supporter on those terms, £100 for my English season ticket and £300 for my Hearts one.

Uber fan alert :lol:

The Old Tolbooth

My story in footballing life could've been so much different. 

The first team I fell in love with was Liverpool, because (as rightly pointed out) when I was an impressionable 8 year old, they were a cracking side who were winning a lot of silverware, and Kenny Dalglish was (and still is) my all time footballing hero, this was in the late 70's, and to be honest, had I discovered Dalglish before he moved to Liverpool, then there's every chance I might have been a Celtic fan (shudder!!). I also loved the there was tons of Scots in their side in those days, and it was lovely feeling knowing that Scots were tearing up their big league. 

I didn't start shouting on Hearts until 84ish, and it was only because all my immediate mates at School were Hearts fans and so I started going to games with them and it flourished from there. I've been to Anfield only a handful of times during my lifetime, so Hearts are definitely my number 1 team, and when we played each other in the Europa League qualifiers, it was a dream come true for me as I'd longed to see both clubs play each other in a competitive fixture, and as crazy as this might sound, I haven't celebrated a Hearts goal as passionately as I did when we scored at Anfield, the pride and passion was just unbelievable, I was almost on the pitch as I was right at the front (3 rows back), thankfully I held myself back. 

I'm not going to lie, I refer to both Hearts and Liverpool as "We", and I won't stop doing it either, each to their own I guess. 

30 minutes ago, The Brow said:

The tunnel club...

Football support at its absolute worst. 

Or best, if your willing to pump your money into the club, how does a fan that pays more per game than a standard season ticket constitute worse support.... Intrigued?

20 minutes ago, Ryder said:

What’s the City Tunnel Club?

It’s a club for tunnel enthusiasts. Formed in London in the late 30’s, it spread nationwide during the 40’s. Manchester is where it’s at for tunnels these days though, and that’s where their main membership is now found. Quite cheap anaw, subs are only £3.75 p.m., tunnels are great.

8 minutes ago, Jamos said:

Or best, if your willing to pump your money into the club, how does a fan that pays more per game than a standard season ticket constitute worse support.... Intrigued?

I more meant the utter horror of watching people through a glass tunnel as if you're at the zoo.

But I get your point. 

No idea why but I really liked Stoke City as a kid in the '70's. Discovered at school one day that they were playing Hibs in a friendly at ER and begged my dad to take me. Gtf, or words to that effect, was the initial reply but when I mentioned Gordon Banks would be playing he relented. We also stayed in Abbeyhill at the time so were only about a 15 minute walk away. 

We must have been the only two in the ground who cheered when Stoke scored the only goal of the game. I think it was 1976 or '77.

Can't be bothered with English football now but did enjoy watching Rochdale and Wigan's exploits in the FA Cup. 

9 minutes ago, The Brow said:

I more meant the utter horror of watching people through a glass tunnel as if you're at the zoo.

But I get your point. 

I know what you mean, but that is only a small part of it, you also have access to first team coaches going through the same details the team have just before they head out to the pitch, you have access to the after match interviews in person, then of course you have the exact same view of the game as the manager. So a great concept if you want a deeper understanding of what actually goes on with the team at a match. The food and drink are also top notch, I believe the new Spurs stadium will have the same facilities. So it looks like another American football thing that is making its way into the Premier league. I see it as a good thing, you will always get people willing to spend big to have more access. But does if feel the same as climbing up into the struts in the old shed pumping Aberdeen in their prime during the 80's ... nowhere near.

Used to work with a guy, Edinburgh born and bred. He didn't support an Edinburgh, or even Scottish team, because, 'the football is shite'. Instead he chose Arsenal. No family-ties, nothing. After every weekend, he'd ask what I'd been up to, if I'd been Tynecastle I'd talk about the game etc. He'd then talk about Arsenal's game (if it had been TV/radio) and come out with 'we were poor' 'we were amazing'  etc etc. I'd cringe every time. 

How many games had been to?

None. Never even tried.

Pure f*d.

10 minutes ago, Jamos said:

I know what you mean, but that is only a small part of it, you also have access to first team coaches going through the same details the team have just before they head out to the pitch, you have access to the after match interviews in person, then of course you have the exact same view of the game as the manager. So a great concept if you want a deeper understanding of what actually goes on with the team at a match. The food and drink are also top notch, I believe the new Spurs stadium will have the same facilities. So it looks like another American football thing that is making its way into the Premier league. I see it as a good thing, you will always get people willing to spend big to have more access. But does if feel the same as climbing up into the struts in the old shed pumping Aberdeen in their prime during the 80's ... nowhere near.

Yeah, I get that there is a market for all this bollocks, but I like the football to be a bit rougher. 

The asian tpurists that pack Old Trafford to the rafters and make no noise love all this pish. 

...a bit disco
10 minutes ago, Ryder said:

The Tunnel Club... Oh my...

39C78BD2-C096-4C96-85AB-B626A9C34D46.jpeg

That is...bizarre.

6 minutes ago, The Brow said:

Yeah, I get that there is a market for all this bollocks, but I like the football to be a bit rougher. 

The asian tpurists that pack Old Trafford to the rafters and make no noise love all this pish. 

You will find what you are looking for amongst pretty much all clubs supporters at away games only these days, tends to be where the hard core fans still reside ... not sure you can still call Football a working man's game any more,  certainly not at most "home" games, bit like most housing estates, the old residents are slowly being priced out and feel bitter about it

2 hours ago, The Brow said:

You support two racist clubs

:cornette:

It helps being a massive racist

Love the racing

The Treasurer

In answer to the OP, if you support Hearts then the answer is no.

You can't "support" more than one team.

Yes you can have a liking for other clubs, look out for their results etc, but you can only genuinely support one team.

6 minutes ago, ...a bit disco said:

That is...bizarre.

Just a bit. ‘The Citizens’ must enjoy it though. ?

Just now, The Treasurer said:

In answer to the OP, if you support Hearts then the answer is no.

You can't "support" more than one team.

Yes you can have a liking for other clubs, look out for their results etc, but you can only genuinely support one team.

Pretty much where I am. I’ll alwats class myself as a West Ham fan. They were my team growing up. Went to UP to watch em. But I’ve been up here 30 odd years and seen them probably about 4 times in the flesh in that time. Usually when they’ve been up here for friendlies.

Im a ST holder and FOH member. I “support “ Hearts.

14 hours ago, Ryder said:

Cheers.

No English team.

Cardiff or gtf ;)

The Treasurer
1 minute ago, Jamhammer said:

Pretty much where I am. I’ll alwats class myself as a West Ham fan. They were my team growing up. Went to UP to watch em. But I’ve been up here 30 odd years and seen them probably about 4 times in the flesh in that time. Usually when they’ve been up here for friendlies.

Im a ST holder and FOH member. I “support “ Hearts.

West Ham have always been my "other team" but if it came to a match between Hearts and West Ham I would want Hearts to win.

So in my mind you can't actually be an actual supporter if you'd choose for a team to lose a match

5 hours ago, Oliver Twist said:

Ridiculous thread.

Ryder supports Luton Town. I know this for a fact.

5 hours ago, Ryder said:

:D

Explains a lot.

Mad as a ‘Hatter’ that one :kiss:

Interesting. Lived in England for over 30 years. Wanted my son to support a local team (as well as Hearts) rather then be a glory hunting Chelsea or Arsenal fan and so we got season tickets to Crystal Palace in 2005 and have had them since then. A number of parallels with Hearts - relegation, administration, on the point of being liquidated. And a decent support as well. I enjoy going to the games but don't wear colours or sing (which gets some interesting comments at away games!). My son is now a fanatical Palace supporter and I do wonder what I have done to him! Though I also tell him the best football game he has been to was on 19th May 2012 which, to his credit, he doesn't dispute. And of course the OPs original question about following an EPL club will likely no longer apply to us at the end of the season when we get relegated!

Konrad von Carstein
3 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Jeezo!

"Gimme a Z...; Gimme an A... etc."

"What's that spell?"

If you're talking about Scots, the 50 somethings would probably be Leeds United. When I was in primary school, that was the 'English' team we'd follow due to the enormous contingent of Scots in the first squad.

I've live in London for over 30 years and have never formed a strong allegiance to any of the clubs here. A few good mates support Spurs; others support QPR or Chelsea, Arsenal or Brentford. One of my kids supports Chelsea another supports Arsenal (a bit) and the other doesn't seem to have any particular favourite. They all know to look out for the Hearts score and put on their Hearts kits for football practice, though!

"For as long as I can remember all I wanted in my life, nothing else, was to play for Hearts, which is my dream team. I had no ambition for anything else; always Hearts."

Not at Craiglockart Primary...I was the only wee scrote running about in a Leeds top :brucey:

Not so smug now though...

:raging:

1 hour ago, smiler said:

It’s a club for tunnel enthusiasts. Formed in London in the late 30’s, it spread nationwide during the 40’s. Manchester is where it’s at for tunnels these days though, and that’s where their main membership is now found. Quite cheap anaw, subs are only £3.75 p.m., tunnels are great.

:lol:

3 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

I've just wasted a couple of minutes of my life reading the saddest thread ever to appear on kickback. I guess that makes me a sad ******* too. I'm out of here.

Possibly, because your mob are very unlikely to ever be in the EPL!!

I’m addition to my Hearts season ticket over the last several years I’ve had season tickets in England for;

The Premier League

The Championship

The First Division 

fitba mad!!

Phil D. Corners

Meh, I just get annoyed when someone who supports a random big team belittles me for supporting my local team Hearts. 

Austrailian Liverpool fans, Brazilian Chelsea fans, Edinburgh Barcelona fans etc. 

2 minutes ago, Phil D. Corners said:

Meh, I just get annoyed when someone who supports a random big team belittles me for supporting my local team Hearts. 

Austrailian Liverpool fans, Brazilian Chelsea fans, Edinburgh Barcelona fans etc. 

So true. Feel the same way about Edinburgh born OF fans too.

1 hour ago, The Treasurer said:

West Ham have always been my "other team" but if it came to a match between Hearts and West Ham I would want Hearts to win.

So in my mind you can't actually be an actual supporter if you'd choose for a team to lose a match

I'll go for a draw :pleased: I've never been put in that position, even in a friendly, thank ****!

Agree with most posters that you can only support one team although I have a massive soft spot for Orient as my uncle played for them in the 60s. It's just good to go to a game at the weekend though so when I lived in Leeds I had a season ticket at Elland Road for a couple of years. 

Tell you what I find impossible to understand though, people who support Man Utd due to Ferguson. His Aberdeen team were a shower of cheating ***** actively encouraged by him and their support were violent scum. Utterly despised them and him personally. 

PhoenixHearts

Hate folks that refer to clubs as 'we'. Even for so long I could never refer to Hearts as 'we'. 

I always thought it was a bit strange going into school and hearing "ahahaaa, we beat yous" and I was like "Did you? don't recall seeing you on the pitch tbf. I certainly wasn't playing". 

My mind has slightly changed in regards to Hearts now though. The foundation of Hearts makes it okay for us to say 'we'. Because it is us. Part of the club.

I slip up sometimes and refer to both Milan and Palermo as 'we', as I have family ties. 

My mum's family grew up in Manchester as City fans, but by the time I wanted to show any real interest in the English league (always found it quite boring), City had sold their soul. Hate that club. If anyone, I have a casual fondness for Everton.

Rule still stands for other things though. A boy at my work refers to Man Utd as 'we'. As far as I know, he's never watched them outside the confines of his own living room.

The way I see it, it's absolutely fine to have a favourite or preferred team to watch from every league under the sun. I feel as though it engages you more in the leagues than simply watching from a distance as a neutral.

Here we go... I would prefer to watch Dortmund & St Pauli, Girona, Bordeaux, Brann, Besiktas, Philadelphia, Everton above any others in their respective leagues.

They're not Scottish, and they're not in Hearts league. It might be the same sport, but It's no real difference to having favourite NBA or NFL teams.

Like who you want.

PhoenixHearts
1 hour ago, David Bennett said:

Interesting. Lived in England for over 30 years. Wanted my son to support a local team (as well as Hearts) rather then be a glory hunting Chelsea or Arsenal fan and so we got season tickets to Crystal Palace in 2005 and have had them since then. A number of parallels with Hearts - relegation, administration, on the point of being liquidated. And a decent support as well. I enjoy going to the games but don't wear colours or sing (which gets some interesting comments at away games!). My son is now a fanatical Palace supporter and I do wonder what I have done to him! Though I also tell him the best football game he has been to was on 19th May 2012 which, to his credit, he doesn't dispute. And of course the OPs original question about following an EPL club will likely no longer apply to us at the end of the season when we get relegated!

Good choice. Not got a lot of love for anything London in general, but during an extended visit recently, I found myself pondering which team I'd go and watch If I ever had to live there. Settled on Palace. The decision was made easier by the fact the only remaining London Clubs I didn't already hate, Fulham and QPR, where West London. And I ****ing hate Made In Chelsea.

1 hour ago, Phil D. Corners said:

Agree.

I worked with a guy who was born in Kirkcaldy but avidly supported Rangers.

He used to give me a hard time about supporting Hearts even though I was born in Edinburgh.

:facepalm:

3 hours ago, Legend Claws said:

Used to work with a guy, Edinburgh born and bred. He didn't support an Edinburgh, or even Scottish team, because, 'the football is shite'. Instead he chose Arsenal. No family-ties, nothing. After every weekend, he'd ask what I'd been up to, if I'd been Tynecastle I'd talk about the game etc. He'd then talk about Arsenal's game (if it had been TV/radio) and come out with 'we were poor' 'we were amazing'  etc etc. I'd cringe every time. 

How many games had been to?

None. Never even tried.

Pure f*d.

See,  to me that just sounds like the same experience the majority of TheRangers and Celtic fans experience. We already have a culture in this country of latching onto a successful team and passing yourself off as a supporter when in reality you are a "sky game follower" 

Thats probably why Rangers "fans"  stood and watched their club die, they simply don't understand the concept of supporting a club 

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Explains a lot.

Mad as a ‘Hatter’ that one :kiss:

You should ask him how he came to support Luton. Epic story.

Watched Sunderland play us in a friendly many years ago, think we lost 3-2, and they had Gabbiadini up front. Started to look out for their results and even went down to Roker Park 2-3 times a season to watch them. Lost interest over the years and now I find their plight quite amusing.

6 minutes ago, Bozi said:

See,  to me that just sounds like the same experience the majority of TheRangers and Celtic fans experience. We already have a culture in this country of latching onto a successful team and passing yourself off as a supporter when in reality you are a "sky game follower" 

Thats probably why Rangers "fans"  stood and watched their club die, they simply don't understand the concept of supporting a club 

Makes a lot of sense really. We have a smaller but tighter supporter base. I suppose at every club they have that loyal core and clingers on when the times are good.

Really bothers me all these OF and foreign club supporters up and down the country. They have at best a very tenuous connection with the club (e.g their grandad drank a pint of Guinness). Football for me is a bit tribal and you should support the team from your city. The biggest cringe I have is on social media:

'' Glasgow Rangers [insert union jack emoji]

Like the difference of Glasgow to living in Edinburgh just completely goes over their head. There is a natural rivalry to Edinburgh and Glasgow so I can't help but wonder how serious the rangers fans (for example) take someone with an Edinburgh accent in the home end at Ibrox?

It just seems ridiculous. My immediate thought when I see that is 'oh so you don't really like football' because to me thats a lack of understanding about football at its core. 

If you ve stayed in a place a while be good to support them especially if its a little town team.  Fk the big corporate teams.  

michael_bolton
30 minutes ago, OTT said:

Makes a lot of sense really. We have a smaller but tighter supporter base. I suppose at every club they have that loyal core and clingers on when the times are good.

Really bothers me all these OF and foreign club supporters up and down the country. They have at best a very tenuous connection with the club (e.g their grandad drank a pint of Guinness). Football for me is a bit tribal and you should support the team from your city. The biggest cringe I have is on social media:

'' Glasgow Rangers [insert union jack emoji]

Like the difference of Glasgow to living in Edinburgh just completely goes over their head. There is a natural rivalry to Edinburgh and Glasgow so I can't help but wonder how serious the rangers fans (for example) take someone with an Edinburgh accent in the home end at Ibrox?

It just seems ridiculous. My immediate thought when I see that is 'oh so you don't really like football' because to me thats a lack of understanding about football at its core. 

There's not really. People from Glasgow don't care so much. Look at any Glasgow club forum, they'll spend nowhere near as much time referencing people from Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Dundee etc as people from those cities do going on about 'weegies'. This forum has it all the time.

The accent wouldn't really raise any eyebrows.

50 minutes ago, Oliver Twist said:

You should ask him how he came to support Luton. Epic story.

Will do.

18 hours ago, Ryder said:

Cheers.

Luton Town you say?

How did that one come about then?

:wink:

Archived