Lord Beni of Gorgie

Lord Beni of Gorgie

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hearts/hearts-john-souttar-will-be-ready-for-england-move-in-summer-1-4649991

Craig Levein has hailed Hearts centre-back John Souttar as the form defender in Scotland and backed him to break into the international set-up.

Souttar has been enjoying a quietly impressive season at the back for the Jambos alongside Christophe Berra in what has been a frugal defence under Levein.

Souttar in action for Scotland Under-21s against Latvia. Picture: SNS Group

Souttar in action for Scotland Under-21s against Latvia. Picture: SNS Group

They have currently conceded just once in their last three games after going on a run of eight successive clean sheets earlier in the season, and while Levein has praised the experience of Berra for playing a crucial role, he believes Souttar is the best defender in the Ladbrokes Premiership on current form.

“I don’t doubt for a second that Christophe has had a huge influence on our defensive displays, but he has also brought the best out in John Souttar,” Levein said ahead of his side’s trip to face Rangers at Ibrox.

“If there is a better centre-back in the league right now, I would be surprised. John is at the top of his game.

“We all know he can pass, play and break out of defence, but his heading and general awareness of dangerous situations has improved immeasurably.

Craig Levein has hailed Souttar as the 'in-form' defender in Scotland. Picture: SNS Group

Craig Levein has hailed Souttar as the 'in-form' defender in Scotland. Picture: SNS Group

READ MORE - John Souttar ‘will be ready for England move in the summer’

“I think he is a top, top player and I think Christophe, Jon McLaughlin and Aaron (Hughes) have had a fairly big impact.

“As much as you can impact and coach them, in the heat of the moment where a decision has to be made, having an experienced player alongside to help you is much better than talking about something after the game.”

He added: “John has improved every year he’s been here.

“He had that Achilles injury that kept him out nine or 10 months, but he has come back stronger and I feel that he’s at the top of his game right now.

“I think he is as good as there is, certainly in Scotland at the minute.”

Souttar has long been rated as a prospect in the Scottish game after making his Dundee United debut at the age of 16, but injuries and loss of form have held him back.

Now 21, there is still plenty of time for him to achieve his potential and Levein believes he is ready to feature for Scotland and solve what has become a problematic centre-back position ahead of Alex McLeish’s return to international football on March 23.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Ryder said:

He’s a ****ing smashing player. Should have made a Scotland squad by now.

Mentioned it with John Findlay yesterday. I think he really is getting better every week. Really pleasing to see a player taking his chance. Another one of the really positive things happening at Hearts this season, experienced players leading the youngsters through the battles. Anyone who was at Pittodrie in December would have seen something special, in terms of how to defend with shape, discipline and courage.

Berra is the best in Scotland ATM however Souter will be better. We have the best central defence in Scotland IMO.

He has everything. Pace, strength, height and can pass very well. He reads the game superbly well and doesn't back away from big tackles. 

Unbelievable talent who will be a stalwart for Scottish  

12 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Mentioned it with John Findlay yesterday. I think he really is getting better every week. Really pleasing to see a player taking his chance. Another one of the really positive things happening at Hearts this season, experienced players leading the youngsters through the battles. Anyone who was at Pittodrie in December would have seen something special, in terms of how to defend with shape, discipline and courage.

I agree. What was telling for me, was how he didn’t let a few mistakes play on his mind. He made a couple of slack passes and dangerous mistakes in the games at Murrayfield, but he didn’t hide and stop trying to push forward. He obviously has a very stoic but quiet confidence in his own ability.

Bazzas right boot

Boy is a stand out.

Not just is he a good defender, he has a smashing attitude, can go past players, pick a pass and even hit a good corner

Hate to say it, but in a team that has more possession, he'd be an outstanding player, a real asset.

His defending has also improved.

Reminds me of David Weir.

We_are_the_Hearts

His defending still has a long way to go. Defo improving though. Not a patch on Levein, not even close.......Yet.

3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Has more than a touch of the levein's about him.

Thats what I thought too. 

Don’t like the ready for England chat in the summer. With Berra not getting any younger we should look to keep Souttar for at least another season. 

We_are_the_Hearts
1 minute ago, Armageddon said:

Where does the nickname 'Soapy' come from anyway?  I know a few guys that get called it and never been able to work it out!

Oor Wullie

scott herbertson
6 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Don’t like the ready for England chat in the summer. With Berra not getting any younger we should look to keep Souttar for at least another season. 

Bit of a weird OP as the link with the summer chat is an article from December  17 speculating about whether Jamie Walker would leave in the window and the Soutar to England is referencing a Devpcember 2017 reported Derby bid for him. In other words it’s rumour, and old rumour at that, so nothing so see there.

SuperstarSteve

If he was a Celtic player, he’d have numerous caps by now, agreed with a few of you that Levein is looking to get rid of him soon, he’s just making sure we get as much as we can, will be sad to see him go tbh 

15 minutes ago, SuperstarSteve said:

If he was a Celtic player, he’d be Scotland captain by now, agreed with a few of you that Levein is looking to get rid of him soon, he’s just making sure we get as much as we can, will be sad to see him go tbh 

FTFY

Lord Beni of Gorgie
38 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Bit of a weird OP as the link with the summer chat is an article from December  17 speculating about whether Jamie Walker would leave in the window and the Soutar to England is referencing a Devpcember 2017 reported Derby bid for him. In other words it’s rumour, and old rumour at that, so nothing so see there.

The link is a "read more" embedded to this new article Scott. In todays online EEN, this is a fresh article, ignore the link, it does indeed back to the previous report on Souttar

Portable Badger

I'm glad Craig's got his mojo back. 

He should be talking Soapy 'up' - he deserves it from his fantastic performances this season.  He's really improved with the experienced heads around him.

Craig should be talking a Soapy/Berra central defence partnership for Scotland, with McLaughlin in goals, while McLeish is early in his job.  It gets pundits and supporters talking about them all and the defensive record they've put together.  Craig should shortly be throwing out a value on Soapy as well - £4-5m.  Set expectations early - may be slightly unrealistic to expect that sort of fee for Soapy but the subliminal message to teams down south when they see a Scottish player being valued as highly triggers an interest.

1 minute ago, Gilbert’s Fridge said:

I'm glad Craig's got his mojo back. 

He should be talking Soapy 'up' - he deserves it from his fantastic performances this season.  He's really improved with the experienced heads around him.

Craig should be talking a Soapy/Berra central defence partnership for Scotland, with McLaughlin in goals, while McLeish is early in his job.  It gets pundits and supporters talking about them all and the defensive record they've put together.  Craig should shortly be throwing out a value on Soapy as well - £4-5m.  Set expectations early - may be slightly unrealistic to expect that sort of fee for Soapy but the subliminal message to teams down south when they see a Scottish player being valued as highly triggers an interest.

Especially when you consider that McGregor and Hanlon of Hibs have been getting quoted as Scotland internationals recently! :rofl:

I mean... for the love of Christ!

Portable Badger
1 minute ago, Ryder said:

Especially when you consider that McGregor and Hanlon of Hibs have been getting quoted as Scotland internationals recently! :rofl:

:jj_facepalm:

Lucille's Thirsty

Souttar’s a smashing young player.

Considering our lack of options and we’ve constantly give players like Hanley and Martin. I think he should be starting, I’m  sick and tired of giving English born players who’ve got a Scottish ancestor games, when we’ve got talented young Scottish lads who’ve grown up knowing the numerous disappointments we’ve endured for 20 years.

Lucille's Thirsty
1 minute ago, Ryder said:

:lol:

Remember Berra would be their sixth choice centre back. What a bunch of spangles.

1 minute ago, Lucille's Thirsty said:

:lol:

Remember Berra would be their sixth choice centre back. What a bunch of spangles.

Reprobates, and puddle-drinking vermin. It’s like Chic Charnley all over again. :rofl:

2 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

Bargain.

To those who have seen both, Levein or Soapy at 21?

I was a kid when Insaw Levein at about 22/23 (I think), but he was such a stand out. Soapy has been brought up in a whole different footballing world though. 

Back in the day, you weren’t surprised to see a Hearts Centrehalf pish up the park with the ball. Nowadays, when someone like Souttar does it, you get guys screaming abuse... 

Its not abfair comparison imo. However, Souttar could go on to be as good a player as Levein was, I think. :)

Captain America

Robertson-Berra-Souttar-Paterson

Is definitely a Scotland back line we should see soon. 

Souttar has come on so much this season. 

5 minutes ago, C-3PO said:

Starting to think Paterson could be better in the centre of midfield... :unsure:

scott herbertson
55 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

The link is a "read more" embedded to this new article Scott. In todays online EEN, this is a fresh article, ignore the link, it does indeed back to the previous report on Souttar

Thanks 

Captain America
14 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Starting to think Paterson could be better in the centre of midfield... :unsure:

Tierney ( although out of position) at RB then.

Paterson in middle of park.

Broony in the bin. 

4 minutes ago, C-3PO said:

Tierney ( although out of position) at RB then.

Paterson in middle of park.

Broony in the bin. 

Think that might be not far from the way it goes.

All Out Attack

The lad has a big future and I hope we manage to hold onto him over the summer.

He can still be quite clumsy so he probably needs another year beside Berra before he is ready for the show down South. 

2 hours ago, Ryder said:

Exactly. Because our defence has been shite these last 3 months eh?

1 minute ago, Pans Jambo said:

Exactly. Because our defence has been shite these last 3 months eh?

There are times I hate Scotland. It’s exactly why I’m keen on independence.

We have a complete lack of depth at centrehalf. We have Berra and Martin in their 30s and then Hanley at 27. So far from good enough its not even funny. IMO Souttar, Lindsay and Hendry should be brought into the squad.

But firstly, Souttar 100% deserves a cap. He's been an absolute rock this season and it would be a massive boost for his confidence. 

Him and Berra are miles ahead of Hanlon and Mcgregor at hibs. if he doesnt get into the scotland squad i think its a joke tbh. Before Berra he is the best Cb in Scotland

The five centre backs in the next squad should be.

Berra, Mulgrew, Souttar, Lindsay, McKenna 

Berra and Mulgrew have been a solid partnership, Souttar is next in line and the other two lads are very promising. That said, Berra and Souttar should be the first choice pairing, Mulgrew if we play a three. 

Ross McCrorie and Jack Hendry will no doubt get picked over them because of who they play for however. 

Just now, Cruyff Turn said:

The five centre backs in the next squad should be.

Berra, Mulgrew, Souttar, Lindsay, McKenna 

Berra and Mulgrew have been a solid partnership, Souttar is next in line and the other two lads are very promising. That said, Berra and Souttar should be the first choice pairing, Mulgrew if we play a three. 

Ross McCrorie and Jack Hendry will no doubt get picked over them because of who they play for however. 

who is the boy at fulham or leeds, cooper is it? i would want him in as iirc he had a good season last year, dont know this year though

Portable Badger
2 hours ago, C-3PO said:

The Tics will be screaming for Tierney to have his slot in the team so we'd have to move Callum into midfield like he does for Cardiff..... then the Vermin'll scream green murder cos they've got the best midfield in the universe !!!!!  FTH

1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

who is the boy at fulham or leeds, cooper is it? i would want him in as iirc he had a good season last year, dont know this year though

Cooper at Leeds isn't as good as the others, he's not as big either.

4 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Has more than a touch of the levein's about him.

A very similar style player as CL before injury. As long as we keep Berra who has been crucial to John's development, then we'll have a million pound plus player on our books. 

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

A very similar style player as CL before injury. As long as we keep Berra who has been crucial to John's development, then we'll have a million pound plus player on our books. 

Aye. A million pound plus another 5 million. 

2 minutes ago, JamboCampbell said:

Would walk into Celtic team.

£4m plus alot of add ons would be good business

Celtic wouldn't pay the money - they could do a helluva lot worse. Simunovic tonight :facepalm:

Souttar and Hearts will know when time is right to move on. Hopefully he has at least another full season 

Berra is key to Souttar and us in general. Real contender for SPL POTY imo 

JamboCampbell
1 minute ago, Spencer said:

Celtic wouldn't pay the money - they could do a helluva lot worse. Simunovic tonight :facepalm:

Souttar and Hearts will know when time is right to move on. Hopefully he has at least another full season 

Berra is key to Souttar and us in general. Real contender for SPL POTY imo 

Dont think

he would go there anyway.

EPL for me!

6 minutes ago, JamboCampbell said:

Dont think

he would go there anyway.

EPL for me!

Should be EPL bound if he keeps going 

He has improved considerably since Levein became manager - no surprise given Levein was a magnificent central defender himself 

5 hours ago, Thought Police said:

Bargain.

To those who have seen both, Levein or Soapy at 21?

I was putting souttar in the same bracket a couple of months ago and got ridiculed a bit, but on reflection I get why. Scottish football was a lot better back then but Levein was still imperious. Souttar could be as good but Levein really was a bit special

Archived