Clerry Jambo

Hearts looking at free-agent midfielders after Djoum blow

Barry Anderson
4-5 minutes

925441966?-347:821
Craig Levein is scouring the free-agent market for a midfielder
Craig Levein is scouring the free-agent market for a midfielder

Published: 06:30 Thursday 22 February 2018

Hearts manager Craig Levein is looking at free agent midfielders after losing Arnaud Djoum to injury.

Levein has had Ivorian striker Ghislain Guessan on trial but is also considering signing a midfield player as Djoum is out for around eight months with a snapped Achilles tendon.

Guessan has been offered another week’s trial after scoring for Hearts Under-20s against Dundee United on Tuesday night. A new forward was the Edinburgh club’s only priority but the long-term injury to Djoum – sustained against Ross County last Saturday – brings the midfield area into focus once more.

“I’m looking at midfielders as well as strikers with Arnaud out,” Levein explained. “Hopefully we’ll get Harry Cochrane back soon so it’s not critical, but we could do with another body in there. We have a lot of games coming up. I’m having a look at both positions.”

Teenager Cochrane is back in training after overcoming a neck injury sustained against Celtic last month. He has a small chance of making the squad for Saturday’s Ladbrokes Premiership visit to Ibrox.

“He’s come on a bit this week,” said Levein. “He started training on Tuesday, although it was non-contact. He’s feeling much better so he isn’t far away. I’d say he has an outside chance of making Saturday.”

Striker Steven Naismith should resume full training tomorrow after missing the past two matches with a hamstring complaint. Barring any negative reaction, he is expected to be involved at some point against his former club in Glasgow.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Special Agent Dale Cooper

Shame Beith's away tearing it up on loan. This might have finally been his chance to shine.

JamboCampbell

Always a lot of midfielders out of contract.

surely pick someome up.

big summer ahead for us so we dont find ourselves in this mess again!

3 minutes ago, Barack said:

Wonder what the standard of free agents out there is.

To me they’re out of contract for a reason, there might be a gem somewhere but not ideal looking at these guys

3 minutes ago, Barack said:

Finding one who is fit enough to hit the ground running might prove a challenge too...

Just now, jbee647 said:

Finding one who is fit enough to hit the ground running might prove a challenge too...

Correct 

6 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

To me they’re out of contract for a reason, there might be a gem somewhere but not ideal looking at these guys

Lots of midfielders just a question of fitness as you say. Quite a few players who are out of contract train with their old clubs or old bosses just to stay fit. Good example is Alex Song training with Arsenal

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Paul Paton in until the end of the season. Knows the league, should be fit. Released at St Johnstone due to ‘finances’.

14 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Croatian boy looks the business #6 on list

Quite a few cracking players on there, hope we move fast and aim high. 

19 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Croatian boy looks the business #6 on list

Lewis McGugan was always decent on Champ Man. 

Am I doing this right?

49 minutes ago, Barack said:

Funnily enough Djoum was signed as a free agent was he not?

48 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Agreed. There might be something but it isn't ideal to be looking in this pool once more.  In fairness we couldn't anticipate what happened to Djoum 

When you operate a first team squad with limited numbers of experienced players this is risk you take 

5 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Malaury Martin obviously well out of the picture.

Martin looks like being the zero minute man of this season following on from Oshinawa last year and El Hass the year before 

I wonder if any other club has carried a senior high earning player in 3 successive seasons and paid them for doing nowt 

15 minutes ago, GarryJ-o-s said:

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Paul Paton in until the end of the season. Knows the league, should be fit. Released at St Johnstone due to ‘finances’.

He was one that jumped out for me, cheap back up through to the end of the season. Wouldn’t challenge for a start but would be fine covering for the odd game here or there.

Just now, Spencer said:

Martin looks like being the zero minute man of this season following on from Oshinawa last year and El Hass the year before 

I wonder if any other club has carried a senior high earning player in 3 successive seasons and paid them for doing nowt 

Celtic with Bobo Balde springs to mind.

There's bound to be a few decent players that have been released by bigger clubs. ie can do a job in scotland. 

It's their wages that will prove to be the problem. 

Bazzas right boot

There's one midfielder  I'd make a song and dance about it if we signed him.

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Special Agent Dale Cooper said:

Brazilian boy as well, signed for about £3m, although I think he left about a year later.

Prodan at rangers too.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Barack said:

Oshinawa still a free agent. 

Staggered by that. 

We were tricked, no way he's a real player.

He wouldn't get a game at my fives.

2 minutes ago, Special Agent Dale Cooper said:

And that would not have been cheap. Few years back mind 

We just can't afford this to continue. People repeatedly point at stadia costs and youth infrastructure improvements post Administration and that is true. There has also been some truly horrific transfer dealings and we aren't rid of all of those players yet. 

Makes you wonder if Grzelak or Nowak should have been retained until summer as cover. Two summer recruits launched within 6 months 

Who knows what our contribution is to Naismith hence Walker, Goncalves, Grzelak and Nowak plus Stockton 

10 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Who knows what our contribution is to Naismith hence Walker, Goncalves, Grzelak and Nowak plus Stockton 

We also brought in Adao and Amankwaa.

13 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

We were tricked, no way he's a real player.

He wouldn't get a game at my fives.

I wouldn't say we were tricked. He's had 17 caps for Nigeria. 

He's just not very good.

14 minutes ago, Boris said:

We also brought in Adao and Amankwaa.

Sure. Latter is unavailable as not deemed fit enough to contribute. Naismith injured 

20 minutes ago, Spencer said:

And that would not have been cheap. Few years back mind 

We just can't afford this to continue. People repeatedly point at stadia costs and youth infrastructure improvements post Administration and that is true. There has also been some truly horrific transfer dealings and we aren't rid of all of those players yet. 

Makes you wonder if Grzelak or Nowak should have been retained until summer as cover. Two summer recruits launched within 6 months 

Exactly Spencer. We need to completely restructure the way we go about our transfer business. Far too many expensive signings post-admin, many of whom are not fit , aren't interested or simply aren't good enough. Easy money for far too many average players. We need to keep it simple and go for the proven SPL players like Berra  Lafferty and Naismith. Trawling the globe for players that have 3 passports and several agents simply hasn't worked.

3 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Sure. Latter is unavailable as not deemed fit enough to contribute. Naismith injured 

Sorry, I thought you were referring to wages when you said "Who knows what our contribution is to Naismith hence Walker, Goncalves, Grzelak and Nowak plus Stockton"

I'm trying to figure out what it is that has sent Spencer spiralling into full meltdown mode. Was it our draw at Ross County? Or Scott Robinson scoring for Livingston at the weekend? 

:levein_interesting:

20 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Exactly Spencer. We need to completely restructure the way we go about our transfer business. Far too many expensive signings post-admin, many of whom are not fit , aren't interested or simply aren't good enough. Easy money for far too many average players. We need to keep it simple and go for the proven SPL players like Berra  Lafferty and Naismith. Trawling the globe for players that have 3 passports and several agents simply hasn't worked.

Yes we need to stop getting injuries and restart spending beyond our income.

24 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

we have restructured and have been doing things differently in the market of late.

30 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Danny Amankwaa hasn't played in a while and has had some serious injuries. He is fit, just not match fit or sharp enough to play at the same tempo as his team mates and opponents, that takes a while. 

Levein always said he'd be a risky signing but knows that an on form Danny Amankwaa could be a player we couldn't afford to buy. 

Mr Brightside
1 hour ago, Spencer said:

Nowak was signed last summer.

We still have Ado, Callachan, Cowie, Buaben, Martin, Cochrane and Irving all available to play central midfield. I would say we have the numbers to see the season out but are short on quality.

Just now, Mr Brightside said:

We still have Ado, Callachan, Cowie, Buaben, Martin, Cochrane and Irving all available to play central midfield. I would say we have the numbers to see the season out but are short on quality.

Spot on

2 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

Sorry I meant Stockton and Grzelak launched within 6 months 

4 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Nonsense 

Of course it is Spencer. We need to start targetting creative, attacking midfield players. Other than a 16 year old we have nothing.  We continually buy defensive midfielders and we've now got enough that we should really be dispensing of the likes of Buaben. It could be that the management don't value that type of player, I don't know. One things for sure we have another huge rebuilding job to do in the summer where we could well be having to build a team around 4 or 5 senior players and some promising youngsters. Given our financial  constraints it's going to be a challenge and we can't afford many more gambles.

We’d have won the game on Saturday with a few older heads in the squad. The 3 subs, their age combined was almost the same as Hughes....

Hopefully when he’s been out looking for a forward a couple of midfield options were put his way... another djoum would be most welcome 

letsalldothebeattie

Is there anyone of a decent standard available to bring in? Hope we don’t sign someone like last season

Jambo dans les Pyrenees

Sign Rudi.

Hat trick against the vermin.  CL trolling popcorn teeth.  Ann wrecked on her extended birthday celebrations in the directors box.

Make it happen, please.

22 minutes ago, Queensland Jambo said:

Sign Rudi.

Hat trick against the vermin.  CL trolling popcorn teeth.  Ann wrecked on her extended birthday celebrations in the directors box.

Make it happen, please.

You'll still be wanting to sign Rudi when he's 55

keithyboy1975

Get Pele in and give him Djoums number 10 shirt.... Wouldn't matter if he was sh!t.... It's marketing gold, ha!!!! 

1 hour ago, MrB1to4 said:

We should bring mark davies for a trial. Could be type we're needing. 

That was a name that caught my eye

When I googled him he's been out with cruciate injuries.

Not sure if he has recovered from them but even if fully fit he looks like a massive gamble

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 hours ago, Spencer said:

Still only 1 defeat in 16 games despite all the bad luck and indeed we only ever trailed in those 16 games at Parkhead. Somebody knows what he is doing

:verysmug:

Archived