Billy Graham and the Hearts song

DVB

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, jb102 said:

He stayed in my house.Weirdo.

Not really what I was getting at but pray tell.

I thought it was a rally at Tynie and the Hearts song was based on a hymn that was his anthem.

46 minutes ago, DVB said:

Not really what I was getting at but pray tell.

I thought it was a rally at Tynie and the Hearts song was based on a hymn that was his anthem.

There was a rally and you may well be right re the song

11 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

There was a rally and you may well be right re the song

The 'old orange flute' is a Billy Graham song ? Suppose it's possible 'hello hello' is an American Civil War song .

Anyway , more importantly , back to him staying in your house ?

Francis Albert

The tune is a mix of Sweet  Betsy from Pike (missouri) an American ballad dating from 1858, an american hymn Blessed Assurance (the this my story section) which may well have featured  in the Graham rally  and of course the Flanders and Swann's Mud Mud Glorious Mud released the year before tje Hector Nicol song of 1958.

Wikipaedia suggests ther is video footage of Johnny Cash singing both the Hearts and Hibs songs which seems improbable.

PS and the Cash connection is wrong as i suspevted. There is video footage of him singing Sweet Betsy from Pike the source of the main theme of the Hearts song and Battle Hymn of the Republic source of the Hibs song.

Francis Albert
21 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

The tune is a mix of Sweet  Betsy from Pike (missouri) an American ballad dating from 1858, an american hymn Blessed Assurance (the this my story section) which may well have featured  in the Graham rally  and of course the Flanders and Swann's Mud Mud Glorious Mud released the year before tje Hector Nicol song of 1958.

Wikipaedia suggests ther is video footage of Johnny Cash singing both the Hearts and Hibs songs which seems improbable.

PS and the Cash connection is wrong as i suspevted. There is video footage of him singing Sweet Betsy from Pike the source of the main theme of the Hearts song and Battle Hymn of the Republic source of the Hibs song.

PPS sorry my mistake it was an EEN article not wikipaedia and it linked cash to the original sources of the hearts and hibs songs not the songs themselves.

The sweet betsy from pike theme was played in the saloon in the Deadwood 

TV series

50 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

The 'old orange flute' is a Billy Graham song ? Suppose it's possible 'hello hello' is an American Civil War song .

I am sure I head Hello hello in gone with the wind.

1 hour ago, johnthomas said:

Hello Hello (the tune) was based on the old civil war song Marching through Georgia.

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

We should have a minutes applause on the 99th minute this weekend.

He should have been put down 100 years ago

1 hour ago, johnthomas said:

He should have been put down 100 years ago

This is a football forum and so we will all have our own views on Christianity and that's fair enough but this seems just a little bit harsh!

By way of balance, Billy Graham once said that when his death was announced he wanted people to know this: "Someday you will read or hear that Billy Graham is dead. Don’t you believe a word of it. I shall be more alive than I am now. I will just have changed my address. I will have gone into the presence of God.”  

That confidence (or blessed assurance) of life after death wasn't because he thought he was someone special but because he believed he was a sinner saved by grace alone, through Jesus, crucified and risen. This was the message he preached in football stadiums all over the world.

For at least some of us on here, we are happy to sing both versions of the song: "praising my Saviour all the day long" and "follow the Hearts and you can't go wrong"!

2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

The only way there will be 99 minutes, is if we are one goal up, after 90. 

12 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

This is a football forum and so we will all have our own views on Christianity and that's fair enough but this seems just a little bit harsh!

By way of balance, Billy Graham once said that when his death was announced he wanted people to know this: "Someday you will read or hear that Billy Graham is dead. Don’t you believe a word of it. I shall be more alive than I am now. I will just have changed my address. I will have gone into the presence of God.”  

That confidence (or blessed assurance) of life after death wasn't because he thought he was someone special but because he believed he was a sinner saved by grace alone, through Jesus, crucified and risen. This was the message he preached in football stadiums all over the world.

For at least some of us on here, we are happy to sing both versions of the song: "praising my Saviour all the day long" and "follow the Hearts and you can't go wrong"!

Well said.

2 hours ago, DVB said:

I am sure I head Hello hello in gone with the wind.

I heard 'no surrender' at a wedding.

In fairness they'd changed the lyrics to "smoke marijuana like a king of kings"

And I did just that, I really did.

Section G The Place To Be

A preacher of fairy tales. Used  to brainwash sad and lonely people and sometimes those with mental health issues into believing in a book of fairy stories that has been the cause of more deaths and wars than the plague, WW1 WW2, AIDS and any other disease you can think of all rolled into one. 

Anyway its the terrace not a bible bashing forum. This should be moved. 

15 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

In fairness to old Billy boy his love for Jesus allowed him to be on the correct side of history regarding civil rights, at least to some extent.

It is just a shame that (like other American evangelicals) he allowed his love for Jesus to allow him to hate the women and the homosexuals.  It is also a great shame he advised all the US presidents and didn't listen to what Jesus said about mixing in politics, but then you wouldn't want him to take everything literally.  Then he'd be a Jehovah's Witness or something really crazy.

I've been to the mountaintop and I've seen the promised land and mine eyes hath seen the glory in the coming of the lord, and I didn't spot Billy Graham but I did see a bunch of gay guys pleasuring each other sexually.

Gay men. Amen. 

His support of MLK and of the Civil Rights Movement was laudable. His anti-Semitism, his enthusiasm for foreign wars, and the job he apparently he did raising his arsehole son were not.

39 minutes ago, gnasher75 said:

Hallelujah!!!

When I was saved at the Billy Graham Crusade in 1991, I found it, as an ex-atheist with no history of going to church let alone hymn singing, somewhat problematic when it cam to singing Blessed Assurance.

PS Crusade was at Celtic Park, just under 7 years later Hearts won the Scottish Cup for the first time in 42 years, you know where!

PPS Still don't have a soft spot for the place, just what happened there!

19 minutes ago, WageThief said:

In fairness to old Billy boy his love for Jesus allowed him to be on the correct side of history regarding civil rights, at least to some extent.

It is just a shame that (like other American evangelicals) he allowed his love for Jesus to allow him to hate the women and the homosexuals.  It is also a great shame he advised all the US presidents and didn't listen to what Jesus said about mixing in politics, but then you wouldn't want him to take everything literally.  Then he'd be a Jehovah's Witness or something really crazy.

I've been to the mountaintop and I've seen the promised land and mine eyes hath seen the glory in the coming of the lord, and I didn't spot Billy Graham but I did see a bunch of gay guys pleasuring each other sexually.

Gay men. Amen. 

Respect!  Lovely obituary!

Hope someone has a lot more grace when you pop your clogs.

13 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Respect!  Lovely obituary!

Hope someone has a lot more grace when you pop your clogs.

And may the lord forgive himself for all his sins.

54 minutes ago, Section G The Place To Be said:

A preacher of fairy tales. Used  to brainwash sad and lonely people and sometimes those with mental health issues into believing in a book of fairy stories that has been the cause of more deaths and wars than the plague, WW1 WW2, AIDS and any other disease you can think of all rolled into one. 

Well said

4 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Your assuming that we'll be a goal up in the 98th minute;  like it.

I remember a couple of things from then.

For some reason my parents were putting up a neighbour's friend for the duration. She only eat grapefruit for breakfast and afterwards would go for a dump. We had to evacuate the house for about half an hour afterwards.

There was a joke going round at the time.

Billy asked,  if there was anyone who needed miraculous intervention to cure their ailments  to come out to the front.

Two folk came out, one with a hair lip called Mr Smith and the other, on crutches,  called Mr Brown.

Billy had a screen erected round them. He then asked the audience to be silent for a minute and to pray for their ailments to be cured.

After the assembled crowd had silently prayed for a minute Billy raised his arm and called out to Mr Smith,  "Mr Smith please tell us what has happened to Mr Brown"

Back came the reply.

"Mithter Broonth fell on hith arth".

2 hours ago, gnasher75 said:

Very true. Blessed Assurance is a Hymn that's sung on occasions in my Church which by the way has a quite a large Hearts support in its congregation. 

2 hours ago, WageThief said:

Gay men. Amen. 

image.png.f8bd674028493ddbb8f39332f14cd114.png

been here before
5 hours ago, henry said:

I’m sure my dad said he went to see him at Tynecastle. 99 is a great age. 

Not for Billy Graham it wasnt.

part_time_jambo
5 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

If Rangers are behind the ref might accomodate this.

3 hours ago, Section G The Place To Be said:

Satan Likes this post. ?

3 hours ago, Section G The Place To Be said:

Just wondering if you have a go at Islam and the Quran with the same hate and venom as you do with Christianity? 

Guys that can attract big crowds are interesting

He was a little after that Austrian guy. Good age though. Maybe has some useful tips on living. 

SpruceBringsteen

I'm too young to remember it, but I'm told his run as WWWF champion in 77 after beating Bruno Sammartino was quite something.

4 hours ago, Paolo said:

The only way there will be 99 minutes, is if we are one goal up, after 90. 

Against Celtic 

3 hours ago, WageThief said:

And may the lord forgive himself for all his sins.

God doesn't believe in atheists

Just now, Francis Albert said:

I have no religious belief whatsoever.

But if some of the stuff on her was directed at Islam?

Aye? Islam is a bunch of made up shit. Muhammad was just a bloke and eating pigs is no more morally wrong or unclean than shitting on the Quran.

:bolt:

Coburg Hearts
8 hours ago, gnasher75 said:

Good post. 

9 hours ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

I'm too young to remember it, but I'm told his run as WWWF champion in 77 after beating Bruno Sammartino was quite something.

Away and eat your TV dinners ?????????

Section G The Place To Be
10 hours ago, jockmac said:

Just wondering if you have a go at Islam and the Quran with the same hate and venom as you do with Christianity? 

I Have the same feelings towards all religion. 

Its a form of mind control for the weak minded and vulnerable. Used for different cultures own gains and agendas. 

Every war there has ever been has been caused by religion or in the name of a religious cause.

Each to their own. I just find it far easier

to believe in a scientific theory than one that has stories about talking bushes, seas being parted, boats that carry two of every animal on the planet. Books that claim it’s a sin to be homosexual, that condones rape in multiple Stories. That promotes bigotry and xenophobia. I could go on and on about the hypocrisy in these books of tales.  

Archived