Seville

Cairneyhill Jambo

Is there still a couple of hundred thousand celtic fans there ? 

Never been there  but would certainly like to visit it 

Cairneyhill Jambo

Cheers for the recommendations. Probably going beginning of June for 4 nights. 

Any recommendations for day trips out of Seville or is there plenty to see in Seville? 

Like others say, it’s hot. Hottest place in Europe I’ve been to. It was still 35+ degrees at night. 

Great place though and loads to do. Good bars and restaurants 

spent 4 days there last summer. A bit run down in parts but the city centre is fantastic. Really inexpensive. One of the few cities left in Spain which does a different (free) tapas with every drink. With beer at €3 per 50cl and wine €1.50 a real bargain.

Not really my cup of tea, I was rather unimpressed. Don't do the yellow/green bus tour it is hopeless, They have a red city siight seeing which must be better.

16 minutes ago, Greenbank2 said:

spent 4 days there last summer. A bit run down in parts but the city centre is fantastic. Really inexpensive. One of the few cities left in Spain which does a different (free) tapas with every drink. With beer at €3 per 50cl and wine €1.50 a real bargain.

It's been nearly 12 years since I was in Sevilla, but we nowhere we went into to have a drink did free tapas (and we went into plenty places, including ones well away from the tourist areas). We were also only ever drinking beer or wine, which is a prerequisite if free tapas are on offer - you won't get any if you order a hot or soft drink, or a spirit or liqueur. Lots of the bars did tapas, and very nice they were too, but we never got any free ones. However, wherever we went in Granada we did: they weren't always very exciting and sometimes pretty basic (bit of bread with a slice of cheese or chorizo on top), but they were always free.

Maybe things have changed since then, or maybe we always went to the "wrong" places...

Enjoyed the city, and its bars and restaurants, though.

Plaza de Espana the cathedral and Alcazar are all must visits, the gardens in the Alcazar are stunning. The Metropol Parasol is a daft giant wooden modern sculpture thing with a walkway on top, it's quite hard to describe and looks really out of place in the middle of a square but it's worth going up for a nose about, especially at night. Aimlessly wandering around wee streets in Santa Cruz and Maria Luisa park is a nice way to spend a day  and there's some amazing Roman ruins at Santiponce a local bus ride away, they actually filmed some of the last season of Game of Thrones there too. Loads of wee food markets about town to grab some light lunches, I like Mercado del Arenal but Lonja del Barranco is a lot more stylish and more popular.

There's probably enough in Seville to keep you going for four days but if you feel like cramming something else in then Cordoba is less than an hour away by train and is well worth seeing. It's pretty small so makes a nice day trip,  the Mezquita (a mosque that was converted to a catholic church) is the main reason to go, it's such a beautiful old building. Granada and Ronda are also well worth a visit but if you can only do one day trip then I'd certainly do Cordoba over either of them. 

Andalusia is just fascinating and insanely beautiful all over, would move to any number of places over there in a heartbeat if I could. 

We stayed near Metropal Parasol last June it's nicknamed the giant mushroom (in Spanish) helps shade a couple of squares from the unrelenting sun. Over the river towards Betis is less touristy but great town for a city break and pretty cheap for food and drink. Main tourist sites Alcazar etc were very busy especially late morning with big queues. Not a problem outside main summer months though.

We loved Seville. Stayed in the Ayre Hotel. It was mid-September and, as others have alluded to, it was roasting

We had tickets for the Sevilla v Valencia match which kicked off at 6.00pm, it was still around the mid 30's. Plus, I'm scared of heights and our bloody seat was about 3 miles above the pitch. It looked like watching a Subbuteo game.

Some great tapas bars though and a lovely city.

I haven't been for more than 20 years, but I loved it.  Flew to Malaga, spent a few weeks in Ronda, Seville, Granada and Cordoba.

Wines, beers, flamenco, football, great architecture and churros with hot chocolate in the morning. 

Strongly recommended.

Cairneyhill Jambo
22 hours ago, Jamboross said:

Plaza de Espana the cathedral and Alcazar are all must visits, the gardens in the Alcazar are stunning. The Metropol Parasol is a daft giant wooden modern sculpture thing with a walkway on top, it's quite hard to describe and looks really out of place in the middle of a square but it's worth going up for a nose about, especially at night. Aimlessly wandering around wee streets in Santa Cruz and Maria Luisa park is a nice way to spend a day  and there's some amazing Roman ruins at Santiponce a local bus ride away, they actually filmed some of the last season of Game of Thrones there too. Loads of wee food markets about town to grab some light lunches, I like Mercado del Arenal but Lonja del Barranco is a lot more stylish and more popular.

There's probably enough in Seville to keep you going for four days but if you feel like cramming something else in then Cordoba is less than an hour away by train and is well worth seeing. It's pretty small so makes a nice day trip,  the Mezquita (a mosque that was converted to a catholic church) is the main reason to go, it's such a beautiful old building. Granada and Ronda are also well worth a visit but if you can only do one day trip then I'd certainly do Cordoba over either of them. 

Andalusia is just fascinating and insanely beautiful all over, would move to any number of places over there in a heartbeat if I could. 

Brilliant. Thanks for the recommendations. I think you've just clinched the deal for us to go there. Cheers

17 minutes ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

Brilliant. Thanks for the recommendations. I think you've just clinched the deal for us to go there. Cheers

Go eating and drinking in Maquila, Calle Delgado.  The Spanish brew some great beers.

Go eating in Blanca Paloma, Calle San Jacinto/Calle Pagés del Corro in the Triana district.  Opens at 8, and ideally you should get there about 10 minutes before so that you won't have to queue for a table.  Trust the recommendations of the waiting staff, and you won't go wrong.

Archived