Some oldies might remember this

jambo1961

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, happyjam said:

Not forgetting the GYP (Granton Young Parkie), YMR (Young Mental Royston) and the lesser known YSS (Silverknowes Suicide Squad).

Best gang name was TBM from Newhaven, the Toley Beach Mafia 

Portable Badger
2 hours ago, happyjam said:

Not forgetting the GYP (Granton Young Parkie), YMR (Young Mental Royston) and the lesser known YSS (Silverknowes Suicide Squad).

Obviously dyslexic were they.......?

YSS (Silverknowes Suicide Squad).

;)

25 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

It was "treatment". The only known surviving member was 70 last year.

Anyone remember the surprisingly mental Y-HOH (Young House o Hill)

Maybe they had finished medical school by the early 80s ?

52 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

:waiting:

See now I know what you look like ?

And its hi ho clerry aggro

everywhere we go 

wasn't that part of the song ?

2 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

everywhere we go 

That's what they were singing before a mass brawl in the West End Club.

7 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

everywhere we go 

I wouldn't know fingers, I was born im Morningsiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide!!  ::troll::

1 hour ago, Clerry Jambo said:

:waiting:

Aye, Clerry Jungle! How did the song go again, something like " we get the no.1 all the way round, when you get to Clerry,  you know your in town, we don't carry hand guns, we don't carry blades, we only carry shotguns,  to blow out your brains, we're the Clerry jungle baby, we've got class, JUNGLE  ya bass"

ring any bells????

internationalcoverup
58 minutes ago, rmreido said:

Want a light Bertie? 

20180220_150726.thumb.jpg.b7abc90069a6b4b20e59668232c113f6.jpg

Bertie Auld, wow!

Never seen that before, but that's magnificent!

Old school football humour.

26 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

That's what they were singing before a mass brawl in the West End Club.

The West End Club?

Was that above a shop called ‘Watches of Switzerland’?

22 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

I wouldn't know fingers, I was born im Morningsiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide!!  ::troll::

???

6 minutes ago, rmreido said:

Done by GILZEAN out of the pink newspaper, 

I think?????

Indeed.

Gilzeans wee shop was down a close off Cockburn Street.

3 hours ago, happyjam said:

I was there the night the YMR was brought into being.

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, Gilbert’s Fridge said:

Obviously dyslexic were they.......?

YSS (Silverknowes Suicide Squad).

;)

Old MacDonald’s dyslexic......... I E I E M

taxi

9 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

Yep

Gorgie Jungle were huge in about 1971-1973, crombies , staprest and doc martens a la Clockwork Orange. Also big gangs at the time were Niddrie Terror and Mental Drylaw

YNT and Niddrie full of Hibbies! All my mates were!

18 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Can’t remember the OP’s badge but this classic I still have somewhere 

26C7F066-CFA7-4BE6-8F97-409AA793FCB8.jpeg

Had that sewn on one of my 3 scarfs, :smile:the memories.

Son Of Anarchy
6 hours ago, farin said:

There’s 2 types of these patches that I have. Used to be a big thing having these on your scarf back in the day. ?

D64568FC-901B-408C-8988-27C317D18433.jpeg

Bloody hell Farin, that's a blast from the past. I remember mine was the right hand (clean one) but my old mucka was raging as his was the left one ? the bottom patch was my second and final patch purchased. Cheers for that ?

scott herbertson
32 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

YNT and Niddrie full of Hibbies! All my mates were!

They were - I was at Porty so had to keep my mouth shut about the football a lot of the time. Had a mate called Pete who was in the Gorgie Jungle about 1972 who was at Porty. Brave lad!

scott herbertson
2 hours ago, Morgan said:

The West End Club?

Was that above a shop called ‘Watches of Switzerland’?

Yes - pretty rough place. My brothers band The Androids played there in the late 70s

At the end of the gig the bouncers used to play a game which involved chucking the furniture at each other (and at the band and it’s entourage) . “Duck!”

They thought it funny. They also used to enjoy chucking troublemakers down the stairs - amazing no one got killed.

6BFD7D8C-DC4E-4DBD-96F5-0983D0EEA28D.jpeg

The Lothians had loads too. Young Penny Toi, YMW (Woodburn), Clockwork Bonny from Bonnyrigg, TYT (Tranent), YMF (Mayfield), HeadieTeam (Loanhead) and more if my memory was better.

46 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Yes - pretty rough place. My brothers band The Androids played there in the late 70s

At the end of the gig the bouncers used to play a game which involved chucking the furniture at each other (and at the band and it’s entourage) . “Duck!”

They thought it funny. They also used to enjoy chucking troublemakers down the stairs - amazing no one got killed.

6BFD7D8C-DC4E-4DBD-96F5-0983D0EEA28D.jpeg

Assuming you mean the stairs down to Princes Street Scott?

Reason I’m asking is I seem to r3call there were stairs inside the place too that led to a wee sort of balcony bit. I’ve seen folk flung over that as well!

Wild it was. :lol:

scott herbertson
Just now, Morgan said:

Assuming you mean the stairs down to Princes Street Scott?

Reason I’m asking is I seem to r3call there were stairs inside the place too that led to a wee sort of balcony bit. I’ve seen folk fling over that as well!

Wild it was. :lol:

Craig would be able to clarify, but I’m pretty sure it was the stairs to the streets

Captain Scarlett
6 hours ago, happyjam said:

Young Inch Cumbie 

52 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

They were - I was at Porty so had to keep my mouth shut about the football a lot of the time. Had a mate called Pete who was in the Gorgie Jungle about 1972 who was at Porty. Brave lad!

Had a black Barathea blazer with Hearts badge sewn on breast pocket which I wore to school. Showed those hibbies I was PHM.

N Lincs Jambo
5 hours ago, rmreido said:

YCD Young Clerie Derry

Used to go regularly to the Mod discos at the Abercorn at Abbeyhill with a crew from Corstorphine in 1981. There was about 10 of us but only up for the music and the vibe not the violence. Chucking out time around 2am early one Sunday morning and a hanger on to our crew shouted out "Young Clerie Derry" in the chippy a few yards up the road. One of the locals took offence, downed the rest of his pint, smashed the glass and put it straight in the guy's neck. Fortunately didn't hit anything major but probably wasn't the wisest move to make in the east of the city.

2 minutes ago, farin said:

Some crackers there Morgan ???

I lost a scarf with some crackers on it, but I still have these 2. ?

D03694B3-A0F8-4B47-86BE-6F23052BDF79.jpeg

8D9B9E0B-877A-41B9-ADDD-891119518692.jpeg

Brilliant stuff Farin :clap:  You’ve got some badges I’ve never even seen before.But some that I’ve got myself, see my second post!

Some of the ones on my second posted scarves are not quite so good but I still love them.

1 minute ago, farin said:

Superb. ??

Forget my next post!

You’ve seen and answered it!

:fth:

millerjames398

I'm not from Edinburgh or round that way, but just in my catchment area of larbert high school, we had the young valley team, and the library boys from stenhousemuir, young shore team and shore hard core from carronshore ,the young brom team from north broomage, airth young team as well, and tonyhill hoolies from antonshill, other teams in Falkirk were YLP from langlees a few jambos from there, the Y-mob from camelon a rangers stronghold, y-bog from Westfield near the stadium, chinatoon in middlefield across the rd from the bog,and pretty much every village up th falkirke braes had a gang ,not sure now think most kids are in the house on the xbox and PlayStation, changed days... ?

39 minutes ago, millerjames398 said:

I'm not from Edinburgh or round that way, but just in my catchment area of larbert high school, we had the young valley team, and the library boys from stenhousemuir, young shore team and shore hard core from carronshore ,the young brom team from north broomage, airth young team as well, and tonyhill hoolies from antonshill, other teams in Falkirk were YLP from langlees a few jambos from there, the Y-mob from camelon a rangers stronghold, y-bog from Westfield near the stadium, chinatoon in middlefield across the rd from the bog,and pretty much every village up th falkirke braes had a gang ,not sure now think most kids are in the house on the xbox and PlayStation, changed days... ?

What were the Airdrie guys called, the bother we used to have going through there would make your hair curl,

Im thinking it was section B or D or something like that ??

1 hour ago, farin said:

1 of your patches reminds me of my old mans scarf Morgan, it’s 1 of my most treasured items. 

1B22EBDD-3092-4756-8C7F-9C03DC0FD2F6.jpeg

I’ve got a very similar style one that belonged to my dad Farin. Different set-up but same material etc.

I’ll go to our storage room tomorrow, dig it out, and post a wee pic.

23 minutes ago, 22games nro said:

What were the Airdrie guys called, the bother we used to have going through there would make your hair curl,

Buses never came back from Airdrie with the same amount of passengers that left Edinburgh!

millerjames398
2 hours ago, 22games nro said:

Airdries section B was their skinhead/casuals name, they had a bit of rivalry with Falkirk back in the day. 

Shanks said no
50 minutes ago, millerjames398 said:

Airdries section B was their skinhead/casuals name, they had a bit of rivalry with Falkirk back in the day. 

Named after a local punk band and not part of the ground as many believe.

The Future's Maroon
3 hours ago, Coburg Hearts said:

Some great photos on this thread. Oh, the memories. :smile:

Ooooft, it certainly has rekindled memories.

Now I feel old!

On 19/02/2018 at 22:51, Morgan said:

Jungle was Gilmerton area wasn’t it?

Gilmeron was young gillie.

Gorgie Jungle and Clery Jungle were at times one.

Coburg Hearts
8 hours ago, The Future's Maroon said:

Ooooft, it certainly has rekindled memories.

Now I feel old!

Good memories that no one can take away.:thumbsup:

Remember, TFM, you're only ever as old as you feel, and I feel younger and fitter than I did 20 years ago. :HeartsMandance:

Archived