Don Cowie

GorgieRulesApply

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good squad player, good influence on the team. 

He's past his best by a few good years now but still has something to offer, just not in a wide position. 

17 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Good squad player, good influence on the team. 

He's past his best by a few good years now but still has something to offer, just not in a wide position. 

I would agree with all of that except "squad"

Yes he may be past his best but at his best he was a regular starter at good championship sides and he is hardly done.

No he is not a winger

He's one of our best midfielders and should start more often than not. 

Adao looks as though he is going to cement a place. Djoum would start before him but is injured.

Cochrane may prove to be better but is too young to be relied on every week, so isn't there yet. Everyone else is behind him in the pecking order

Bridge of Djoum
10 hours ago, GorgieRulesApply said:

I don't get some fans love in with Cowie, what does he actually bring to the team? Apart from trying hard and pressing the opposition he doesn't give us any defensive stability/offensive threat.

Oh dear.

Bridge of Djoum

I've got nothing against the guy and its not about Saturday because I know the whole team was poor but what does he actually do? He scored he winner against Hibs yes but he just doesn't offer us anything other than trying hard.

If you watch him and have ANY idea about football you'd see his value to the team. Apparently a real big influence on the youngsters too.

Bridge of Djoum

Yes he had a good game and he pressed them high and forced them to make errors but what else does he do, I'm not looking for an argument I'm just genuinely wondering if people see things that I don't.

So you're asking apart from everything he does, what does he do?

2 hours ago, davie1980 said:

I would agree with all of that except "squad"

Yes he may be past his best but at his best he was a regular starter at good championship sides and he is hardly done.

No he is not a winger

Adao looks as though he is going to cement a place. Djoum would start before him but is injured.

Cochrane may prove to be better but is too young to be relied on every week, so isn't there yet. Everyone else is behind him in the pecking order

He was a right midfielder, that was his position for the best part of his career but he's not as quick as he once  was. 

Our best midfield would have been Adao, Cochrane, Djoum, but with Djoum now out I think Cowie will start alongside Cochrane to help him out.

Certainly in games where we aim to press high or big games, Don is the guy you want in your midfield because he can run for days and his delivery from set plays is good.

He is past his peak though, he was a cracking player at Watford and Cardiff, which was the time he won most of his caps. Still has a lot to offer and probably is the type of guy we will want to keep beyond his playing days if he pursues his coaching badges.

All in all he's been a good signing. 

Cowie is never more than 100%, he is box to box. Doesn't offer the greatest offensive threat but offers energy and does a lot of dirty work.

I get what people are saying here to an extent, but when deployed in the middle of the park I think he allows others to play. Cochrane for example benefits from him being there. We do lack a creative player more so now Djoum is injured but as regards Cowie think he does a job to be fair when deployed correctly.

GorgieRulesApply
7 hours ago, No Wing Mirrors on Trains. said:

So you're asking apart from everything he does, what does he do?

I'm just curious as that what he brings to them team because all I see is someone who gives 100% (which I can't fault or complain at) and who has good experience with youngsters.

10 minutes ago, GorgieRulesApply said:

I'm just curious as that what he brings to them team because all I see is someone who gives 100% (which I can't fault or complain at) and who has good experience with youngsters.

You are still asking the same question !

Its been answered !

Its not Break time at Leef academy already is it ? 

11 hours ago, Flogel7 said:

Going by Tony Watt’s interview on Open Goal, Don Cowie does a lot more than wee see in a Saturday. Sounds like a great guy to have around the club. 

I'm only interested in what he does on a Saturday that contributes meaningfully. If he's a dab hand with a paint brush, knows how to fix cars, organises the card school and gets the bacon rolls in for the lads, I'm not really interested.

The fact is, if we want to improve ( I assume we want to improve) then Don Cowies slot in the team is an area we can and should upgrade.

GorgieRulesApply
2 hours ago, gorgieheart said:

You are still asking the same question !

Its been answered !

Its not Break time at Leef academy already is it ? 

I'm sure most on the forum would go out and give 100%, doesn't make them a good player though...

The majority seem to be fans of Cowie, like the OP though I don’t see what he adds. 

I don’t doubt for a second hes great with the young players, offers advice etc. He was obviously a top player in his day, but he rarely influences a game now. He puts every ounce of effort in, no doubt, but if Cowie is going to be a regular in our team we are not going to progress. Hes not actually that good on the ball. 

His style of midfield play is like Cameron/Hartley, and all about energy. Like it or not their midfield of Allan, McGeough and McGinn have creativity and pace. Harry is going to be a top player but lets not pin all our hopes on a 16yd old. 

Still can’t believe we never took a chance on Allan. 

2 minutes ago, daftie said:

The majority seem to be fans of Cowie, like the OP though I don’t see what he adds. 

I don’t doubt for a second hes great with the young players, offers advice etc. He was obviously a top player in his day, but he rarely influences a game now. He puts every ounce of effort in, no doubt, but if Cowie is going to be a regular in our team we are not going to progress. Hes not actually that good on the ball. 

His style of midfield play is like Cameron/Hartley, and all about energy. Like it or not their midfield of Allan, McGeough and McGinn have creativity and pace. Harry is going to be a top player but lets not pin all our hopes on a 16yd old. 

Allan - he has failed to cut it anywhere consistently

Tony Watt Mk II

3 minutes ago, daftie said:

We should have tested Motherwell's resolve for Cadden instead of wasting money on a short term deal for a player, albeit a very good player, who's spent the last 2 weeks of a 4 month deal on the treatment table and probably wont be available for our biggest game left this season.( and certainly wont be here next season)

GorgieRulesApply
2 minutes ago, daftie said:

That's all I have been trying to say, don't dislike the guy and have no doubt he gives the younger lads great advice but he's not that good a player.

GorgieRulesApply
2 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Tony Watt Mk II

Seems to play well for that lot across the city

17 minutes ago, GorgieRulesApply said:

I'm sure most on the forum would go out and give 100%, doesn't make them a good player though...

and now, its lunchtime !

give it a rest !

Just now, GorgieRulesApply said:

That's all I have been trying to say, don't dislike the guy and have no doubt he gives the younger lads great advice but he's not that good a player.

Nobody is saying that Don Cowie is the answer to our midfield problems, or is the best player we have, nor are we suggesting that we couldnt get better...

however

your question was , what does he do....  plenty have told you exactly what he does  !

1 minute ago, GorgieRulesApply said:

Seems to play well for that lot across the city

Hibs certainly attract players with a "mercurial" streak

and sometimes manage to get rid of them before they implode- his return will be "struck match syndrome"

flares brightly but briefly, then snuffs out

We seem to have a team of triers. Cowie, M Smith, Randall. Personally, I just wish we had a few more who were slightly better talent wise. 

Im a Levein fan but he does sometimes seem to prefer effort over abiliity. 

I just wish we could get the blend right. 

Just now, daftie said:

We seem to have a team of triers. Cowie, M Smith, Randall. Personally, I just wish we had a few more who were slightly better talent wise. 

Levein will get the balance right, given time !

GorgieRulesApply
1 hour ago, gorgieheart said:

Nobody is saying that Don Cowie is the answer to our midfield problems, or is the best player we have, nor are we suggesting that we couldnt get better...

however

your question was , what does he do....  plenty have told you exactly what he does  !

people are telling me what I've said myself..

10 minutes ago, GorgieRulesApply said:

people are telling me what I've said myself..

Makes sense !

1 hour ago, daftie said:

Fair comment, but the minimum you get from triers is far better than having a team full of mercurial talents that drift in and out of games. 

Getting the blend right is difficult but we are heading in the right direction finally.

4 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Tony Watt Mk II

Allan ran the midfield against Aberdeen,I think he is a quality player.

7 hours ago, Escobar PHM said:

I'm only interested in what he does on a Saturday that contributes meaningfully. If he's a dab hand with a paint brush, knows how to fix cars, organises the card school and gets the bacon rolls in for the lads, I'm not really interested.

Are you sure you are interested in what he does on a Saturday?  Your post yesterday about his 'fitness' and being unable to last 50 minutes would tend to suggest otherwise.

Witness the fitness

Don Cowie liveth

One hope, one quest

rudi must stay
2 hours ago, ford donald said:

Allan ran the midfield against Aberdeen,I think he is a quality player.

Same, that lot nicking him was very shrewd. 

Arthur Morgan
On 19/02/2018 at 14:42, Robbo-Jambo said:

Don't dislike Cowie but tbh he is past his best.

Cowie and Callachan are not good enough to improve us.

Midfield overhaul needed for next season imo.

This.

On 19/02/2018 at 14:23, GorgieRulesApply said:

I don't get some fans love in with Cowie, what does he actually bring to the team? Apart from trying hard and pressing the opposition he doesn't give us any defensive stability/offensive threat.

Totally made our first goal against Celtic with that tackle. Great engine...!

Cowie has been a good servant and team player with no lack of effort. He is nearing the end of his playing days along with Prince and they are really cover these days. Milinkovic, Adao, Naismith, Mitchell loanees, Hughes 38, McLaughlin unsure, Brandon crocked, Djoum long term injured and his future in doubt, and however high we rate some of our youngsters they are still developing, need time and they will not all make the grade. We will need an overhaul in the summer. We have made progress but no more than Hibs, Rangers and Aberdeen. Next seasons top six will be more competitive and we will have to recruit well to be in the mix. We could have had Scott Allan a while ago, but maybe he is not a Levein type and has always been hot and cold. That is history and CL will already have targets in mind for next season, there is a lot of work to do. We have a very tough run coming up and all our focus and energy needs to be on that, we will see where we really are very soon.

Arthur Morgan
18 minutes ago, Skacelsid said:

Cowie has been a good servant and team player with no lack of effort. He is nearing the end of his playing days along with Prince and they are really cover these days. Milinkovic, Adao, Naismith, Mitchell loanees, Hughes 38, McLaughlin unsure, Brandon crocked, Djoum long term injured and his future in doubt, and however high we rate some of our youngsters they are still developing, need time and they will not all make the grade. We will need an overhaul in the summer. We have made progress but no more than Hibs, Rangers and Aberdeen. Next seasons top six will be more competitive and we will have to recruit well to be in the mix. We could have had Scott Allan a while ago, but maybe he is not a Levein type and has always been hot and cold. That is history and CL will already have targets in mind for next season, there is a lot of work to do. We have a very tough run coming up and all our focus and energy needs to be on that, we will see where we really are very soon.

Prince is only 29.

GorgieRulesApply
4 hours ago, Section Q said:

Totally made our first goal against Celtic with that tackle. Great engine...!

If you had bothered to read my comments then you would see I know he has a good engine and gives his all and closes people down, he just doesn't offer us anything with the ball imo.

3 hours ago, Joel Miller said:

Prince is only 29.

Based on what?  His Ghanian birth certificate or his Bulgarian drivers licence?

On 19/02/2018 at 16:04, Ryder said:

Aye that Milinkovic has never changed/won a game for us has he... oh wait...

He frustrates me as he does levein. Seemingly  disnae listen.  I get annoyed when players who have it. Don't do it enough for the club.   I can see he has skills . Just wish he would use them more. . Lafferty works his arse off and scores 

1 hour ago, OBOOOA BLAIR said:

He frustrates me as he does levein. Seemingly  disnae listen.  I get annoyed when players who have it. Don't do it enough for the club.   I can see he has skills . Just wish he would use them more. . Lafferty works his arse off and scores 

For a winger, I’d actually say his work rate is above average. 

2 hours ago, Ryder said:

For a winger, I’d actually say his work rate is above average. 

A lot will probably disagree with me mate. The skill is there no doubt. That's football.  All about opinions.  I'll be the first to put my hands up and say I got it wrong if it benefits our club 

Just now, OBOOOA BLAIR said:

A lot will probably disagree with me mate. The skill is there no doubt. That's football.  All about opinions.  I'll be the first to put my hands up and say I got it wrong if it benefits our club 

Yeah, not worth falling out over, I agree. Hopefully he starts putting in some star turns again. :thumbsup:

22 hours ago, GorgieRulesApply said:

If you had bothered to read my comments then you would see I know he has a good engine and gives his all and closes people down, he just doesn't offer us anything with the ball imo.

I did read your post it was only a couple of lines. In it you were asking what other fans thought about Don Cowie. Not sure why you're getting rattled.

I think Cowie's role in the team is different to what it was last season. Last year, Cowie got a lot more attacking returns than he has this season, he scored 3 goals and had 11 assists in 39 games last season and this season he's scored 2 and assisted 2 in 24 games, playing an average of 6 minutes less per game this season.

Last season, we played 4 at the back for the majority of games and 2 up front, with 2 of Watt, Sammon and Johnsen rotating with each other, then Isma when he signed in January of last year.

This season, we've mixed between 3 and 4 at the back, both of his assists this season came in games that we played 4 at the back, I think playing 3 at the back and having the 2 attacking full backs means Cowie doesn't have the same freedom in the final third, he has more defensive responsibilities which affects the number of chances he can create. 

It's difficult to compare a Hearts player from last season to this, we're a completely different team this season, we scored a lot more goals last season (55) but also conceded 52 goals in 38 league games (1.37 per game), this season we've only conceded 24 (0.89 per game) but scored a lot less (28). 1.45 goals/game last season v 1.04 goals/game this season.

My personal opinion is, his role has changed this season, he allows others to get goal contributions through his hard work and energy, he doesn't get as many goals himself but does still take chances when they come along. He's got an experienced head, he rarely gives the ball away or puts a teammate in trouble, he is 35 now so we will need to find a replacement in the near future but he still has a lot to give for the good of the team.

5 hours ago, OTT said:

Genuinely think Cowie could play for another 2 years at least. 

You’re doing this wrong. He just runs around burning calories and brings nothing to the team. He’s only got about two years left of life. You need to be more furious about his shree year deal.

GorgieRulesApply
11 hours ago, Section Q said:

I did read your post it was only a couple of lines. In it you were asking what other fans thought about Don Cowie. Not sure why you're getting rattled.

Because I have explained my views and you just repeated them?

On 20/02/2018 at 00:39, davie1980 said:

This, in a nutshell is why we are fighting it out for 5th place with Kilmarnock.

12 hours ago, GorgieRulesApply said:

Because I have explained my views and you just repeated them?

Keep taking yer tablets pal, and if pain persists go back to your f.ck..g shrink...!

GorgieRulesApply
16 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Keep taking yer tablets pal, and if pain persists go back to your f.ck..g shrink...!

So I prove you wrong and you have a wee dig, stay classy saaaaan

Archived