Don Cowie

GorgieRulesApply

22 minutes ago, ali_jambo said:

He's one of our fittest players, which is why he tends to be the one still making runs forward at 80 minutes.

I'm sure some folk's seats must face away from the pitch. :laugh:

He isn't one of the fittest at all. He is 34 and visibly deteriorating. He does contribute but he isn't what we need in that position anymore. He simply isn't good enough anymore. He's vastly over-rated in terms of his actual meaningful contribution.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is this Hearts didn't win on Saturday so let's have open season on player i(op)/we(supporters) in general don't like? We are doing better than alot on here predicted away back last August. We are the ONLY Edinburgh team who still have a chance of winning the Scottish Cup but, let's moan because hibs are currently above us in the league.

3 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

He isn't one of the fittest at all. He is 34 and visibly deteriorating. He does contribute but he isn't what we need in that position anymore. He simply isn't good enough anymore. He's vastly over-rated in terms of his actual meaningful contribution.

As usual you talk shite.

5 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Nonsense.

10 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Nah. Completely disagree. I said last season having been put through Tziolis and his IDGAF swan about the field bullshit that the minimum I expect from a Hearts player is effort, Cowie may not be the best player on the park but he is consistent and by far the fittest player I've seen play for us in a long time. He doesn't stop running. 

I think because he is neither an out and out attacker or defender his contribution can be overlooked. He's solid if unspectacular which is fine. 

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, GorgieRulesApply said:

Yes he had a good game and he pressed them high and forced them to make errors but what else does he do, I'm not looking for an argument I'm just genuinely wondering if people see things that I don't.

You've asked the question several times, it's been answered.

He scored v hibs.

He sets up some goals

He's a good team player.

Do we need better, is he the future. Yes and no., But brings several things to the team.

20 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

As usual you talk shite.

So he's fine by you. Just what we need ? A standout most times he takes to the field.? No way we could improve upon him ? A first pick stalwart of the team we would badly miss ? 

If he played for the opposition would you pick him out as one to watch?

I'm gonna say no. Great pro whose had a decent career but an unremarkable player for us IMO.

3 hours ago, GorgieRulesApply said:

I've got nothing against the guy and its not about Saturday because I know the whole team was poor but what does he actually do? He scored he winner against Hibs yes but he just doesn't offer us anything other than trying hard.

This should be his last 3 months as a Hearts player. Just like Martin, Prince, Callachan, Hughes & Noring.

Just now, Escobar PHM said:

So he's fine by you. Just what we need ? A standout most times he takes to the field.? No way we could improve upon him ? A first pick stalwart of the team we would badly miss ? 

Personally I would play Don Cowie every game. Yes.

1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

Personally I would play Don Cowie every game. Yes.

Yes I dare say you would.  Says it all really.

Christ even Levein doesn't see him as a first pick now. A fully fit squad and he's on the bench at best

https://thebackpassrule.com/2017/02/16/introducing-expected-assists-to-scottish-football-sinclair-tavernier-and-cowie-stir-their-teams-drink/

Interesting article from the start of last season. Cowie led on expected assists, derived from opportunities created but not finished due to the striker receiving the ball missing.

He's not the standout Xavi or Iniesta that plays the world cup passes, but his work rate and box to box runs creates space for these players to pick passes -Cochrane and Djoum. Presses and wins tackles but aye we drew at the weekend so get him out etc etc 

This winner against Hibs Aye. He's got a feather like touch if anything on a Berra header that was probably going in anyway. He's 1 yard from goal and he should be bursting the fecking net from there. He's nearly missed the ball completely.  If that goal is up at the top of his 'best bits' then the prosecution rests. I believe it was credited as an own goal in some quarters anyway.

If I’m Murty on Saturday, am I going to be worried when I see Cowie’s name on the team sheet? Not likely.

“Keep an eye on Cowie lads, he tries hard”.

He’s been a great servant to the club, but needs replaced in the summer if we are to progress.

4 hours ago, Ryder said:

Amongst other things. Yes. I’m reluctant to even get overly involved with this one. The ignorance from some of our supporters is jaw-dropping at times.

??

i wish jj was my dad

It's difficult to explain to people who don't understand what Cowie's energy and work rate brings to the team particularly when we are trying to play a pressing game.

Suffice to say that I'm glad that CL is in charge rather than some of the would be be managers on here.

Just now, i wish jj was my dad said:

It's difficult to explain to people who don't understand what Cowie's energy and work rate brings to the team particularly when we are trying to play a pressing game.

Suffice to say that I'm glad that CL is in charge rather than some of the would be be managers on here.

Spot on! Cowie is a very solid player if unspectacular as he goes about his business

4 hours ago, GorgieRulesApply said:

I don't get some fans love in with Cowie, what does he actually bring to the team? Apart from trying hard and pressing the opposition he doesn't give us any defensive stability/offensive threat.

93 posts. Starts a debate then disappears. Hmnn! Interesting profile too. 

Don Cowie is 35 and one of the fittest members of our squad. When he plays in the middle, you can see the influence he has. The past his best argument, while correct, is redundant. Very few players who have successful careers peak at Hearts in this day and age.

51 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Yes I dare say you would.  Says it all really.

Christ even Levein doesn't see him as a first pick now. A fully fit squad and he's on the bench at best

Levein is only right 99% of the time. Me it's 100%.

11 minutes ago, bajthejambo said:

Don Cowie is 35 and one of the fittest members of our squad. When he plays in the middle, you can see the influence he has. The past his best argument, while correct, is redundant. Very few players who have successful careers peak at Hearts in this day and age.

Is Levein not recently quoted as saying Cowie can't play every week now ? Him and Hughes I think were mentioned. How does that square with him being one of the fittest ? Our entire back 4 are fitter than Cowie. So is Djoum, so is Cochrane.  Its not a question of him being past his best. Thats obviously going to come from age anyway. Its a question of his week to week performance and influence on games. Thats dropping off in my opinion, to the extent that we need someone better in his position.Nothing against the guy. He's been decent and he's put everything into it. But the time has come I'm afraid

2 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I thought there was a thread saying NO to abusing players. Well that moratorium didn't last too long did it?

I think there's a distinction to be made between critique/opinion and abuse. Abuse would not be something that Don Cowie deserves.

The White Cockade

he is obviously one of our fittest players

he's the one still pressing up top when the rest are dropping back behind the ball

yes he is past his best (wish we had him 10 years ago)  but still good enough for us this season

getting shifted about position doesn't help but he's done a good job for us and never hides

be good if we got behind the team instead of slagging them off especially a guy who gives everything every game

scott herbertson
4 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Is Levein not recently quoted as saying Cowie can't play every week now ? Him and Hughes I think were mentioned. How does that square with him being one of the fittest ? Our entire back 4 are fitter than Cowie. So is Djoum, so is Cochrane.  Its not a question of him being past his best. Thats obviously going to come from age anyway. Its a question of his week to week performance and influence on games. Thats dropping off in my opinion, to the extent that we need someone better in his position.Nothing against the guy. He's been decent and he's put everything into it. But the time has come I'm afraid

Recovery time (as anyone over 40 will know).

doesnt mean he isn’t amongst the fittest when he plays

Seymour M Hersh
9 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

I think there's a distinction to be made between critique/opinion and abuse. Abuse would not be something that Don Cowie deserves.

It was tongue in cheek. 

Cowie is a leader with vast experience. He might be past his best but we are extremely lucky to him, Berra and Hughes etc in the dressing room and on the training ground.

Might just see some exciting youths coming through the ranks with professional attitudes and accelerated technical progress if we keep his like at the club ;-)

I really like Cowie, but he’s had possibly his two worst performances for us in his last two games, Celtic and County.

Always gives 100% and creates chances with his lung bursting runs forward. We are a normally a better team with Don playing.

There was a short debate on whether Djoum would get into the Hibs or Aberdeen teams. 

Aberdeen seem to be doing okay. But I'd definitely put Cowie in the Hibs team. His drive and overall fitness would give more room and space for McGinn and Allan. McGeoch does okay but disappears and seems to be deeper now to accommodate Allan. Perfect for Lennon's pressing team. 

But maybe more likely be at Aberdeen if we release him. May do better with better players and more stable side. Will combine well with Naismith as we adapt to life without Djoum. 

34 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

It's a fair point, but I'd still say he's one of our more industrious players when on the field. He never looks like he's not able to cope with the pace of the game and runs for the entirety of the time he is on the park. 

Just now, bajthejambo said:

It's a fair point, but I'd still say he's one of our more industrious players when on the field. He never looks like he's not able to cope with the pace of the game and runs for the entirety of the time he is on the park. There are those in our squad that I wouldn'

He can cope with the pace of the game in that he's not being embarrassed, however he doesn't go past people. He's not got that kind of speed. His stamina is understandably dropping off with age. He's certainly trying 100%. No-one could possibly say otherwise. He'll do.Thats not really a great endorsement though is it.

i wish jj was my dad
5 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

He can cope with the pace of the game in that he's not being embarrassed, however he doesn't go past people. He's not got that kind of speed. His stamina is understandably dropping off with age. He's certainly trying 100%. No-one could possibly say otherwise. He'll do.Thats not really a great endorsement though is it.

As others have pointed out his recovery from knocks and strains is becoming more of an issue but I don't see anything wrong with his stamina. It's the last thing that will go and on the park he never stops running.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Two sides to this story.

People nailing colours then getting defensive. 

Is Don Cowie past his best. Definitely. 

Can Don Cowie still play a squad role for Hearts. Definitely. 

Do we need a younger version of the man. Definitely. 

9 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

While I agree to a certain degree, I was replying to the OP and highlighting what I believe to be his strengths. He was instrumental in the victory over Celtic. Playing through the middle and guiding those around him in how we had planned to play. Would I build a team around him? No. I wouldn't right him off either though and feel he plays a very significant role within the squad.

I think the problem is that some people expect him to run the midfield just because he is our oldest midfielder.

That's not his game.

He isn't Hartley or Cameron and theres no shame in that, but he contributes well to the team.

The Celtic game was a great example- his closing down for Cochrane's goal was fantastic.

GorgieRulesApply
2 hours ago, Big Drew said:

93 posts. Starts a debate then disappears. Hmnn! Interesting profile too. 

There’s more to life than kickback pal, boy that you would know though.

GorgieRulesApply

Scored a goal against hibs and tries hard, still don’t see what that brings to the team but each to their own I suppose.

GorgieRulesApply
2 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I thought there was a thread saying NO to abusing players. Well that moratorium didn't last too long did it?

I’m also failing to see where he is being abused?

5 hours ago, OTT said:

He's a centre mid. Does some defensive stuff but isn't an out and out defensive player, also does some attacking stuff but isn't an out and out attacking player. So he's balanced with what he brings. He also has a very impressive engine and doesn't seem to stop running.

I don't see the need to criticise. He offers more than other midfielders we have. 

Spot on, I think we have that defensive force to sit behind him in Adao.

I'd have Cowie in the "engine room" instead of the less capable Callachan.

We just need the "dynamic" forward thinking player in front of him now. I think Djoum could be that player, but so seldom gets full license to do that role and is now unavailable.

By the time we get to add that player in the summer, we may be starting to wind down Don Cowie next season and give him game time like we do Hughes, hopefully his engine proves me wrong

11 minutes ago, GorgieRulesApply said:

Scored a goal against hibs and tries hard, still don’t see what that brings to the team but each to their own I suppose.

What do you want from a midfield player?

Other that a no 10 type player (with Cowie is not), my main demands are closing down and distribution.

It's nice to have one player who wins the ball, makes tackles and protects the back 4. That is Adaos role now.

It's nice to have one really forward thinking player who can get beyond the front men and create a goal threat but we have very very seldom had a player in that mold and have survived without them before.

Those players are like hens teeth for a good one, particularly one that also works back when we lose possession (because otherwise that style of player then becomes a luxury that has to be accomodated for)

But aside from that, the majority of midfielders, I expect them to work hard when we don't have the ball and use it well when we have it.

Cowie ticks both of those boxes, he closes down and passes the ball well.

And beyond that he guides the youngsters and adds experience. He is an intelligent player who doesn't drift out of position.

He's never going to be someone that beats players or gets into double figures. I don't know what more people expect

24 minutes ago, GorgieRulesApply said:

There’s more to life than kickback pal, boy that you would know though.

I'm not yer pal sonny. And you talk crap.

Seymour M Hersh
30 minutes ago, GorgieRulesApply said:

I’m also failing to see where he is being abused?

Then read my response to escobar. Jeez louise! :rofl:

Going by Tony Watt’s interview on Open Goal, Don Cowie does a lot more than wee see in a Saturday. Sounds like a great guy to have around the club. 

Archived