Don Cowie

GorgieRulesApply

1 hour ago, GorgieRulesApply said:

So I prove you wrong and you have a wee dig, stay classy saaaaan

The only thing you have proved is that yer a slaverin e*se !

saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan !

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PhoenixHearts

"Okay, okay, he's a leader, a great influence in the squad, calming and dependable partner for youngsters playing next to him, a real team player, capable of having a great game more often than a bad one, is ridiculously fit for his age, can play across the midfield, excellent pushing forward, forces opposing mistakes, gets in about it when he can, scores the odd scrappy goal, never shy, always gives 100%.... But what else does he really do?"

Ridiculous, eh?

That's you. 

GorgieRulesApply
1 hour ago, gorgieheart said:

The only thing you have proved is that yer a slaverin e*se !

saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan !

The delusion here is laughable.

GorgieRulesApply
8 minutes ago, PhoenixHearts said:

"Okay, okay, he's a leader, a great influence in the squad, calming and dependable partner for youngsters playing next to him, a real team player, capable of having a great game more often than a bad one, is ridiculously fit for his age, can play across the midfield, excellent pushing forward, forces opposing mistakes, gets in about it when he can, scores the odd scrappy goal, never shy, always gives 100%.... But what else does he really do?"

Ridiculous, eh?

That's you. 

Literally all you have said here is that he is a good pro, good for youngsters and that he runs about a lot and tries hard. I agree with all of that but he doesn't offer us anything with the ball.

8 minutes ago, GorgieRulesApply said:

Literally all you have said here is that he is a good pro, good for youngsters and that he runs about a lot and tries hard. I agree with all of that but he doesn't offer us anything with the ball.

Apart from all of that, he is invaluable on the pitch when we play a certain way. I honestly can’t believe this even needs to be said, but here goes anyway.

Don Cowie when played centrally harries opposition players and this makes them rush passes and increases the chance of it going astray. Either that or they turn back and pass in to their own territory. When we play a system with attacking wide players and a loan centreforward, this role is absolutely vital to getting results. It’s not a role that any player can play either, because it is not “just burning calories”. Don’s positional sense and footballing brain are outstanding.  Some of his short passing is a delight to watch. He is calm even when the opposition is bearing down on him. He passes and moves in the manner that you would expect from a guy who has had the career he has, playing in a high intensity environment for so long.

Dont really like him as much out wide, but when he is played there, he solidifies the wing. He stops us getting picked off by teams with dangerous attacking wide players who would be looking to isolate our fullback.

12 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Apart from all of that, he is invaluable on the pitch when we play a certain way. I honestly can’t believe this even needs to be said, but here goes anyway.

Don Cowie when played centrally harries opposition players and this makes them rush passes and increases the chance of it going astray. Either that or they turn back and pass in to their own territory. When we play a system with attacking wide players and a loan centreforward, this role is absolutely vital to getting results. It’s not a role that any player can play either, because it is not “just burning calories”. Don’s positional sense and footballing brain are outstanding.  Some of his short passing is a delight to watch. He is calm even when the opposition is bearing down on him. He passes and moves in the manner that you would expect from a guy who has had the career he has, playing in a high intensity environment for so long.

Dont really like him as much out wide, but when he is played there, he solidifies the wing. He stops us getting picked off by teams with dangerous attacking wide players who would be looking to isolate our fullback.

When you put it that way, i'm wondering why we aren't selling him for £5m.

"short passing is a delight to watch" :laugh:

He is a 6/10 player. Sometimes a 7. Nothing wrong with that, but he's no Sergio Busquets either.

Just now, Nookie Bear said:

He is a 6/10 player. Sometimes a 7. Nothing wrong with that, but he's no Sergio Busquets either.

Yes, his short passing is absolutely phenomenal. I mean, I’m assuming you understand the value of that? If you are pressing a team high up the park, you need to work the ball towards a forward cleanly and efficiently without losing it and leaving gaping holes behind you for the opposition to utilise on the break. Cowie does that. Not every player is quick enough thinking or has the footballing brain to play short passes in tight situations and the guys that can are absolutely vital to getting results when playing a high pressing game.

Just now, Ryder said:

Yes, his short passing is absolutely phenomenal. I mean, I’m assuming you understand the value of that? If you are pressing a team high up the park, you need to work the ball towards a forward cleanly and efficiently without losing it and leaving gaping holes behind you for the opposition to utilise on the break. Cowie does that. Not every player is quick enough thinking or has the footballing brain to play short passes in tight situations and the guys that can are absolutely vital to getting results when playing a high pressing game.

He does a job, and rarely lets us down, so is certainly a useful player.

I think "phenomenal" is a stretch. "Decent", might be a better word?

Just now, Nookie Bear said:

He does a job, and rarely lets us down, so is certainly a useful player.

I think "phenomenal" is a stretch. "Decent", might be a better word?

Disagree. In the situations I described, he is absolutely fantastic.

2 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Disagree. In the situations I described, he is absolutely fantastic.

If phenomenal passing is playing a 2 yard wall pass straight back to the team mate who passed to you in the first place then I'm with you. Don Cowie' s passing is phenomenal !! His closing down the opposition is also the best we have, his desire to actually put a foot in when he gets there is somewhat less than phenomenal though.

8 minutes ago, Paul Shark said:

If phenomenal passing is playing a 2 yard wall pass straight back to the team mate who passed to you in the first place then I'm with you. Don Cowie' s passing is phenomenal !! His closing down the opposition is also the best we have, his desire to actually put a foot in when he gets there is somewhat less than phenomenal though.

Nonsense. He finds a Hearts player with a higher percentage of passes than any other player. If people can’t see what he does in a game, then I’m actually starting to wonder if it’s even worth discussing it. He’ll likely be retired before some folk actually understand how the game is played.

When I highlighted his brilliant short passing, I deliberately highlighted the value of this when we are playing in the opposition half and pressing... hopefully that starts to penetrate a few skulls... but I won’t hold my breath. :lol:

Here’s another point. See this ‘Box Soccer’ thing that we have thrown all our eggs at? I believe it’s about close control and owning the ball in tight situations? Do people realise that that is one of Cowie’s main attributes?

49 minutes ago, GorgieRulesApply said:

The delusion here is laughable.

Deluded in knowing that you are indeed a slavering er*e ?  

Naw, its common knowledge...  saaaaaaaaaaaaan

11 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Nonsense. He finds a Hearts player with a higher percentage of passes than any other player. If people can’t see what he does in a game, then I’m actually starting to wonder if it’s even worth discussing it. He’ll likely be retired before some folk actually understand how the game is played.

When I highlighted his brilliant short passing, I deliberately highlighted the value of this when we are playing in the opposition half and pressing... hopefully that starts to penetrate a few skulls... but I won’t hold my breath. :lol:

I get what you're saying Cowie does make more short passes than anyone else in our team the vast majority of them are aimed at keeping possesion rather than getting a meaning ful forward pass away quickly and as highlighted by his performance against Celtic at Tynecastle, he is very good at pressing high up the pitch, but here's the crux of the matter, there are very limited opportunities to play a high pressing game in the SPFL apart from Celtic and possibly Rangers all the other teams tend to go long and play percentage 2nd ball stuff, against that you need to move the ball about quicker than Cowie is now capable of, I'm afraid. His lack of willingness to ' put his foot in ' when required just pisses me off.

4 minutes ago, Paul Shark said:

I get what you're saying Cowie does make more short passes than anyone else in our team the vast majority of them are aimed at keeping possesion rather than getting a meaning ful forward pass away quickly and as highlighted by his performance against Celtic at Tynecastle, he is very good at pressing high up the pitch, but here's the crux of the matter, there are very limited opportunities to play a high pressing game in the SPFL apart from Celtic and possibly Rangers all the other teams tend to go long and play percentage 2nd ball stuff, against that you need to move the ball about quicker than Cowie is now capable of, I'm afraid. His lack of willingness to ' put his foot in ' when required just pisses me off.

Gotcha. That’s fair enough actually. I agree. I was only pointing out how invaluable his ability is in those particular situations. I agree that we need to have midfielders with different qualities too though. :thumbsup:

He does actually complete a lot of meaningful forward passes in the oposition’s channels too though.

20 hours ago, gorgieheart said:

Deluded in knowing that you are indeed a slavering er*e ?  

Naw, its common knowledge...  saaaaaaaaaaaaan

Idiots quite often post on here for the sake of an argument. Why don't you take your attitude down to the local pub and get the slap you need....?

I can see both sides of the argument on Cowie but I always think when he plays we look more energetic.  

Shank said no

Don Cowie may be a model pro and he gives 110% he can help bring on the younger players etc etc but i would be very surprised if we were not looking to bring in a upgrade in the summer with a few more attributes ie a more box to box midfielder who can open up defences and scores a few more goals than he does . Lets not kid ourselves he is something he is not just because he gives 110% every week Callaghan gives the same 110% but he is far from the finished article although improving and very similar they are not bad players but they both lack that we bit of class in the final 3rd that we have required for quite some time now however Rome was not built in a day so patience is required .

57 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

I like DC

so there. 

So do I 

Consistent and reliable, not attributes we can turn our noses up at right now. 

9 hours ago, Section Q said:

Idiots quite often post on here for the sake of an argument. Why don't you take your attitude down to the local pub and get the slap you need....?

oh no, keyboard big guy told me off  !!   :interehjrling:

I personally quite like having Don around, his attributes aren't particularly suited to games where we have all the possession and are looking to unlock defences but when the rest of the team aren't at the races you can rely on him to give his all and force mistakes, he's not a first pick by any means but having him in the squad is only a good thing imo

PhoenixHearts
On 2/22/2018 at 13:44, GorgieRulesApply said:

If it was every player's main job to be an expert ON the ball, there'd be 11 balls at once. He's not tricksy winger or anything like that. It's about intangibles. Hustle. Do you think the other 10 players just freeze on the spot when they don't have the ball?

For example, what does CHRISTOPHE BERRA do ON the ball?

GorgieRulesApply
29 minutes ago, PhoenixHearts said:

If it was every player's main job to be an expert ON the ball, there'd be 11 balls at once. He's not tricksy winger or anything like that. It's about intangibles. Hustle. Do you think the other 10 players just freeze on the spot when they don't have the ball?

For example, what does CHRISTOPHE BERRA do ON the ball?

I would expect a centre midfielder to make better use of the ball that he does. Regards to Christophe Berra he isn't great at passing but he is the best defender in the country.

Does anyone else “go good ball” the realise it’s Cowie and he can’t get to it as he’s too slow and the ball trundles away from him and out of play. 

We will probably see what Cowie really brought to the club after he has left or starts coaching with us: his influence on our young players in particular the midfielders 

On 22/02/2018 at 14:13, Ryder said:

Phenomenal ? There is nothing about Don Cowie that is phenomenal. On his best day he isn’t/wasn’t a bad player. He has plenty of nice things you can say about him. You can’t say he is phenomenal on any level and expect to be taken seriously.

We can and must get better players than Don Cowie if we are going to get better as a team. Our midfield is awful. Don Cowie epitomises that.

i wish jj was my dad
2 hours ago, Escobar PHM said:

Phenomenal ? There is nothing about Don Cowie that is phenomenal. On his best day he isn’t/wasn’t a bad player. He has plenty of nice things you can say about him. You can’t say he is phenomenal on any level and expect to be taken seriously.

We can and must get better players than Don Cowie if we are going to get better as a team. Our midfield is awful. Don Cowie epitomises that.

He has limitations I will give you that but his work rate is phenomenal. His attitude is phenomenal. His positive influence at the club is IMO phenomenal.

It  is phenomenal that he consistently put in 7/10 performances under Cathro when most players were delivering 3 or 4/10 at best.  His short passing is very, very good and he might be the most effective part of the jigsaw when we play a high pressing game, which is IMO when we are at our most effective.

In short, Don Cowie is a very valuable player IMO and that's before you think about what he is doing off the park.  

Not aimed at you but some made their mind up when he signed that he was past it and can't get over that in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.  I still laugh my arse off when I think about over a year ago, one of the m8s on here  who is treated as some sort of guru, spouting a load of guff about his legs having gone.  

I'd hate to think what the sky super sunday experts like him would have made of Doddie's revolution which was built upon the Sandy Jardines, Jimmy Bones and Roddie McDonalds of this world.  And the said Doddie himself.  Model professionals who were fit as **** and helped develop players who might just have benefited from having them around the place at a critical stage in their career.  

Bridge of Djoum
On 2/22/2018 at 09:08, Nookie Bear said:

He doesn’t need to be a Busquets, he plays for Hearts.

FFS.

Bridge of Djoum
On 2/22/2018 at 09:36, Ryder said:

Give it up, mate.

if he’s not tackling every opposition player, every time,  making 29 assists and scoring 19 every season WHILST making the tea and running a crèche at half time he can GTF.

Wage thief etc.

26 minutes ago, No Wing Mirrors on Trains. said:

He doesn’t need to be a Busquets, he plays for Hearts.

FFS.

I didn’t say he needed to. 

4 hours ago, DVB said:

Does anyone else “go good ball” the realise it’s Cowie and he can’t get to it as he’s too slow and the ball trundles away from him and out of play. 

That can't be right. His work rate is phenomenal. His attitude is phenomenal. He himself was phenomenal when Cathro was here.He can pass a 5 yard ball in a phenomenal manner. 

Is there an end product when you pass the ball to him in an attacking area. ? Well yes there is. The end product is usually that the opposition get the ball back.

Phenomenal !!! FFS. We've had phenomenal players. Not many but we've had some. Skacel, Hartley, Cameron, Levein, Robertson. The list goes on a bit further, but it doesn't include Don Cowie. Open the big box we have marked 'average journeymen and 100% triers' and you'll find him there

22 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

That can't be right. His work rate is phenomenal. His attitude is phenomenal. He himself was phenomenal when Cathro was here.He can pass a 5 yard ball in a phenomenal manner. 

Is there an end product when you pass the ball to him in an attacking area. ? Well yes there is. The end product is usually that the opposition get the ball back.

Phenomenal !!! FFS. We've had phenomenal players. Not many but we've had some. Skacel, Hartley, Cameron, Levein, Robertson. The list goes on a bit further, but it doesn't include Don Cowie. Open the big box we have marked 'average journeymen and 100% triers' and you'll find him there

It’s just the Robbie Neilson debate ten years on. Poor player with good attitude that some of our fans reckon is a top player. 

2 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

He has limitations I will give you that but his work rate is phenomenal. His attitude is phenomenal. His positive influence at the club is IMO phenomenal.

It  is phenomenal that he consistently put in 7/10 performances under Cathro when most players were delivering 3 or 4/10 at best.  His short passing is very, very good and he might be the most effective part of the jigsaw when we play a high pressing game, which is IMO when we are at our most effective.

In short, Don Cowie is a very valuable player IMO and that's before you think about what he is doing off the park.  

Not aimed at you but some made their mind up when he signed that he was past it and can't get over that in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.  I still laugh my arse off when I think about over a year ago, one of the m8s on here  who is treated as some sort of guru, spouting a load of guff about his legs having gone.  

I'd hate to think what the sky super sunday experts like him would have made of Doddie's revolution which was built upon the Sandy Jardines, Jimmy Bones and Roddie McDonalds of this world.  And the said Doddie himself.  Model professionals who were fit as **** and helped develop players who might just have benefited from having them around the place at a critical stage in their career.  

In your opinion he got 7 out of 10 under Cathro I would have gave him 0 out of 10 myself.

6 minutes ago, DVB said:

It’s just the Robbie Neilson debate ten years on. Poor player with good attitude that some of our fans reckon is a top player. 

Robbie had a phenomenal long throw and therefore was in fact phenomenal. He was so phenomenally accurate with his forward pass down the wing that he once hit the same fan 3 times in the same game.He scored against Basle and made a tackle once as well.

4 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Robbie had a phenomenal long throw and therefore was in fact phenomenal. He was so phenomenally accurate with his forward pass down the wing that he once hit the same fan 3 times in the same game.

I know what you mean I watched veteran players such as Sandy Clark and Sandy Jardine and they were hugely effective players, Cowie doesn’t even come close.

I saw Hearts score once from a Robbie Neilson long throw v Aberdeen in a Scottish cup tie but he couldn’t throw a basic throw and retain possession. 

28 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

People will say there's a place for players like Cowie , but only when surrounded with numerous quality in the area he plays.  But we don't have that.

Games that suit him are the high pressing games where simple tasks are asked of him. Run, chase , close down. But I expect those elements of every player when asked to be honest. It's bog standard.

But games when teams sit back and the onus is more on ourselves to pick the lock , then the last player I'm looking to is Cowie.

The simple thing being missed is that we need to improve our quality on the ball in that area. Adao is a step up and that's before talking about the fact he can do the chasing, tackling etc...Cochrane. Energy and quality.

People running to his defence seem to ignore his poor technical contribution over the last couple of seasons. Numerous poor deadballs , whether it be corners or positions of time and comfort to deliver but failed.  Maybe a shift onto the coaching side will be better if its true his presence around the squad is influential and appreciated?

On 2/20/2018 at 03:23, GorgieRulesApply said:

I don't get some fans love in with Cowie, what does he actually bring to the team? Apart from trying hard and pressing the opposition he doesn't give us any defensive stability/offensive threat.

You might argue that but you don't know what he brings to the dressing room as well ... most of the young boys coming through and close to the 1st team are midfielders so he is also an experienced head in the side 

he isn't our worst midfielder by far so really don't see this as a focus point now 

i wish jj was my dad
10 minutes ago, DVB said:

In your opinion he got 7 out of 10 under Cathro I would have gave him 0 out of 10 myself.

No idea what games you watched but anybody I know that has the first clue thought Cowie was the only performer.

Fortunately, we have a revamped squad and a manager who has contributed to 30 odd years of the natural order so I'm pretty sure that many more of our our players  will join Don as derby match winners in the months and years to come

8 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

No idea what games you watched but anybody I know that has the first clue thought Cowie was the only performer.

Fortunately, we have a revamped squad and a manager who has contributed to 30 odd years of the natural order so I'm pretty sure that many more of our our players  will join Don as derby match winners in the months and years to come

Jamie Walker performed okay under Cathro. In fact it was one of his best spells for the club. Cowie, for the consummate driving influential professional he's supposed to be, was utterly anonymous in a team that was a disgrace to the jersey.

i wish jj was my dad
21 minutes ago, Escobar PHM said:

Jamie Walker performed okay under Cathro. In fact it was one of his best spells for the club. Cowie, for the consummate driving influential professional he's supposed to be, was utterly anonymous in a team that was a disgrace to the jersey.

Nonsense. Cowie held what was left of the team together and Walker dropped like a stone under Cathro. I thought the world of Jamie but he chucked it and I've never quite forgiven him for that.

Disagree by all means but don't rewrite history.

21 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Nonsense. Cowie held what was left of the team together and Walker dropped like a stone under Cathro. I thought the world of Jamie but he chucked it and I've never quite forgiven him for that.

Disagree by all means but don't rewrite history.

Walker was tremendous in the first dozen or so games under Cathro. Particularly against Kilmarnock, Rangers and the cup replay against Raith .He chucked the towel in when A. He realised Cathro was an arsehole who was destroying the club and B. The club made his contract renewal offers and refusal to sign public information, which turned everyone and his dug against him.

1 minute ago, Escobar PHM said:

Walker was tremendous in the first dozen or so games under Cathro. Particularly against Kilmarnock, Rangers and the cup replay against Raith .He chucked the towel in when A. He realised Cathro was an arsehole who was destroying the club and B. The club made his contract renewal offers and refusal to sign public information, which turned everyone and his dug against him.

It’s never poor wee Jamie’s fault.

:sob:

It’s never poor wee Jamie’s fault.

:sob:

He was at fault certainly. Didn't do himself any favours whoring himself to Rangers and chucked it way before the end of the season, just like everybody else, including Cowie had. If you seriously believe Don Cowie has contributed more than Jamie Walker in their times at the club, and even in the bad times under Cathro then we're done here.

Just now, Escobar PHM said:

He was at fault certainly. Didn't do himself any favours whoring himself to Rangers. If you seriously believe Don Cowie has contributed more than Jamie Walker in their times at the club, and even in the bad times under Cathro then we're done here.

Sound. Good night. :thumbsup:

Sound. Good night. :thumbsup:

Well that was an easy win for me wasn't it. You've normally got a lot more shite to spout before you leave the arguement :getout:

Archived