Don Cowie

GorgieRulesApply

GorgieRulesApply

I don't get some fans love in with Cowie, what does he actually bring to the team? Apart from trying hard and pressing the opposition he doesn't give us any defensive stability/offensive threat.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, C-3PO said:

The winner against Hibs.

Amongst other things. Yes. I’m reluctant to even get overly involved with this one. The ignorance from some of our supporters is jaw-dropping at times.

5 minutes ago, GorgieRulesApply said:

I don't get some fans love in with Cowie, what does he actually bring to the team? Apart from trying hard and pressing the opposition he doesn't give us any defensive stability/offensive threat.

Poor on Saturday - like them all, but a key player when played in the correct position ie. not out wide right.

Captain America
Just now, Ryder said:

Amongst other things. Yes. I’m reluctant to even get overly involved with this one. The ignorance from some of our supporters is jaw-dropping at times.

I 100% agree with this.

Was the thing that sprung to mind when I read the OP.

Great professionalism, his pressing against Celtic made the Cochrane goal are some others.

He does have poor games now and then but gives you 100% every game. 

GorgieRulesApply

I've got nothing against the guy and its not about Saturday because I know the whole team was poor but what does he actually do? He scored he winner against Hibs yes but he just doesn't offer us anything other than trying hard.

GorgieRulesApply
1 minute ago, C-3PO said:

I 100% agree with this.

Was the thing that sprung to mind when I read the OP.

Great professionalism, his pressing against Celtic made the Cochrane goal are some others.

He does have poor games now and then but gives you 100% every game. 

That is all I seem to see him do.

Just now, GorgieRulesApply said:

I've got nothing against the guy and its not about Saturday because I know the whole team was poor but what does he actually do? He scored he winner against Hibs yes but he just doesn't offer us anything other than trying hard.

Did you see him at home against Celtic?

GorgieRulesApply
1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

Did you see him at home against Celtic?

Yes he had a good game and he pressed them high and forced them to make errors but what else does he do, I'm not looking for an argument I'm just genuinely wondering if people see things that I don't.

Don't dislike Cowie but tbh he is past his best.

Cowie and Callachan are not good enough to improve us.

Midfield overhaul needed for next season imo.

So apart from working his knackers off, being a fine example to the young ones, the winner against Hibs, forcing Celtic to make errors which gave us goals v them he doesn't do anything?

Am I doing this right.

Dr Ian Malcolm

This is essentially 'why isn't he a ball playing creative midfielder?' I'm sure some folk won't be happy until we've got four Scott Allan types in there who'll try through balls all day but can't run.

Cowie is often the one guy, maybe aside from Callachan, who runs beyond to support Lafferty. On the ball he keeps it fairly simple but he's important in that he's got the energy to cover plenty ground in and out of possession. It's not the most eye catching but it's a big part of how we play. His experience, especially when we're playing so many youngsters, is valuable. It's not just about goals and passes.

Admittedly wide right isn't his position, but asking what he does after the length of time he's been here and the games he's had suggests it's those watching not paying attention rather than Cowie not contributing.

...a bit disco
9 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

So apart from working his knackers off, being a fine example to the young ones, the winner against Hibs, forcing Celtic to make errors which gave us goals v them he doesn't do anything?

Am I doing this right.

What have the Romans ever done for us, eh?

...a bit disco
1 minute ago, davieholt said:

This is one of those 'What did the Romans ever do for us' threads isn't it

Just now, ...a bit disco said:

What have the Romans ever done for us, eh?

Boom!

Colin Cameron or Paul Hartley he aint!! What I'd do for a player in that mould for this team. 

On topic he is a decent player who has played at a high level and is always one of three names you hear the youngsters mention when asked about who they look up to/who influences them the most in the team. 

14 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Am I doing this right.

Yes but what exactly does he do?

32 minutes ago, GorgieRulesApply said:

Do you go to many games ?

So,  according to you and your wonderous "insight"... all he does is "try hard"

Do you think that maybe his "trying hard"  is what's asked of him and the rest of the team  ?

Maybe his "pressing" of the opposition , leads to them making errors, or passing the ball backwards, or panicking... perhaps that contributes to the "defensive stability" you talk of ? 

Did you see him run the width of the pitch...after taking a corner, that helped to force an error that led to Cochrane's goal v Sellick ? 

Or did you see him get on the end of Berra's header v Hibs ?  

What, in your wonderfully insightful mind... would you have Don Cowie do better ? 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
31 minutes ago, GorgieRulesApply said:

My best advice, is just watch Cowie alone for 90 minutes. Not an easy thing to do, but its possible and still enjoy a game.

I've just said it another thread. Shades of grey. He is a most unselfish player. Like Thomaso I would agree his worth diminishes when played out wide.

The Hibs cup tie, take away the winner. We began to boss the game when?

When Cowie came on and allowed Djoum and Cochrane to dominate and get the ball to the front players and wide players more quickly.

3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

My best advice, is just watch Cowie alone for 90 minutes. Not an easy thing to do, but its possible and still enjoy a game.

I've just said it another thread. Shades of grey. He is a most unselfish player. Like Thomaso I would agree his worth diminishes when played out wide.

When Cowie came on and allowed Djoum and Cochrane to dominate and get the ball to the front players and wide players more quickly.

This !!

34 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Just as well that we have intellectual visionaries like yourself to keep us on the right path 

Who rubbed salt in your lady garden? :rofl:

A_A wehatethehibs

I don’t think you’ll find anyone arguing he’s the best midfielder we’ve ever had but he generally is still able to compete okay at this level. He is intelligent at closing gaps and he’s a good passer of the ball. 

But as a team we are missing a real dynamic midfielder. Not Dons fault but we need some freshness in there. 

Don Cowie is one of the most professional players in the team. Gives 100% pretty much every game, conducts himself in an excellent manner and his influence on our younger players cannot be underestimated. We're a weaker side when he's not in the starting 11.

1 hour ago, GorgieRulesApply said:

If you look at his match stats it’s obvious.

Last year he was our most productive player in creating more assists for goals and was one of the top players in the league.

His work rate is one of the highest in the club and league based on distance covered during a game.

He scored the winner against the Wee team.

So apart from working his bollocks off, creating more assists than anyone in the team and scoring the winner against the wee team he has done nothing.

I don’t get how some fans don’t appreciate what he does for us. We are lucky to have him.

A_A wehatethehibs

I don’t think you’ll find anyone arguing he’s the best midfielder we’ve ever had but he generally is still able to compete okay at this level. He is intelligent at closing gaps and he’s a good passer of the ball. 

But as a team we are missing a real dynamic midfielder. Not Dons fault but we need some freshness in there. 

No offence OP, but if you can’t see the positive affect that a player like Cowie has on the team then you should really re-assess how knowledgeable you are on the sport.

I was sceptical when we signed him, but 2 years on, he’s probably one of my favourite players.

Furthermore to your OP, regarding defensive stability/attacking threat, the work Cowie does frees up players with such traits to do what they need to do.

Agree and have said this for a long time . We need  game changers   don't  get the love for milincovik either 

Played wide right he is useless.

But played in the middle between the midfield and defence of the opposition he causes opponents plenty problems and makes things happen for us.

He's a centre mid. Does some defensive stuff but isn't an out and out defensive player, also does some attacking stuff but isn't an out and out attacking player. So he's balanced with what he brings. He also has a very impressive engine and doesn't seem to stop running.

I don't see the need to criticise. He offers more than other midfielders we have. 

I do think Cowies ability to pass a ball is questionable. His work rate is tremendous when played in the centre. However for me he’s never on the ball enough and when he does he’s not actually that good on it. But I do think his job is just to make the other team make mistakes by pressing them, allowing his teamates to pick up the loose ball. He got lucky with his winner against hibs, he should have got a much cleaner connection on it! 

Good experienced player who's know-how occasionally does good things for us. However he is pedestrian in terms of pace and he's blowing out his arse after 50 minutes now. For large parts of games he is a passenger.

I wouldn't neccesarily slate him, because he doesn't deserve that but he's shot his bolt now and we need someone with more energy and pace in that position. If the best thing that can be said about him now is that he is a good influence on the young lads,(which I wouldn't argue with) gie him a coaching job.

All Out Attack

On his day he can be really outstanding. The trouble is, his day, is becoming less and less frequent. Just now we seen to be getting a quality performance about 1 game in 5.

I think he should be put out to pasture in the summer, along with Hughes. 

1 minute ago, Oliver Twist said:

Needs to score 30 goals a season before I'll have any time for him.

Only 30?

Look at you all easily pleased :D

50 goals and 80 assists or gtf ??

2 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Only 30?

Look at you all easily pleased :D

50 goals and 80 assists or gtf ??

Well he is getting on a bit, he's like 86 years old.

Just now, Oliver Twist said:

Well he is getting on a bit, he's like 86 years old.

Fine.

40 goals and 70 assists.

I’m not going any lower though!

25 minutes ago, OBOOOA BLAIR said:

Agree and have said this for a long time . We need  game changers   don't  get the love for milincovik either 

Aye that Milinkovic has never changed/won a game for us has he... oh wait...

1 hour ago, Jamhammer said:

Am I doing this right.

You missed had the most assists for us as well

29 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Fine.

40 goals and 70 assists.

I’m not going any lower though!

See in reality, I've no idea why we don't just play Jon in goal, Berra in defence and Laff up front.

Theres no need for any other players. Think of the wage savings for a start.

georgiehearts66
1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

The advice in the first paragraph re Cowie, should be followed by any poster...for a few games...before they post a negative comment regarding any player. It's actually not so unusual to find posters on here berating a player as rubbish, when selected the club's MOTM and/or praised by CL for the specific tactical job done. It used to be that Heart's supporters were considered to be more knowledgeable and appreciative than their counterparts, this at least within this forum is demonstrably not the case today. The EEN may have given greater prominence to Isma's racist comment, however, I am confident that his perceived frustration at the more general abuse by those not aware of the tactical discipline required of him was more the abuse he was referring to. 

Critical analysis is fine and players for a myriad of reasons lose form. However, very few players whom are regularly selected for the first team and often have International credentials are S***. Those fans that assess them as such probably have skills that are not worth much more.

I shall give the OP and others the benefit of the doubt and assume they genuinely seek knowledge. Sir Glos' advice is an excellent starting point.

1 hour ago, Escobar PHM said:

Good experienced player who's know-how occasionally does good things for us. However he is pedestrian in terms of pace and he's blowing out his arse after 50 minutes now. For large parts of games he is a passenger.

I wouldn't neccesarily slate him, because he doesn't deserve that but he's shot his bolt now and we need someone with more energy and pace in that position. If the best thing that can be said about him now is that he is a good influence on the young lads,(which I wouldn't argue with) gie him a coaching job.

He's one of our fittest players, which is why he tends to be the one still making runs forward at 80 minutes.

I'm sure some folk's seats must face away from the pitch. :laugh:

3 hours ago, GorgieRulesApply said:

Welcome to the club I think he is a headless chicken that doesn’t play any particular position. His corners are awful and the stat about his assists is a Jambos Kickback urban myth.

1 hour ago, OBOOOA BLAIR said:

:cornette:

2 hours ago, C-3PO said:

Last season he had most assists aswell IIRC.

4 minutes ago, DVB said:

Welcome to the club I think he is a headless chicken that doesn’t play any particular position. His corners are awful and the stats about his assists is a Jambos Kickback urban myth.

Correct. Not a myth.

Headless chicken! :facepalm:

Archived