DVB

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Apache Mal said:

Sammon, Wyness, Sutton. All guys who’ve scored plenty goals, then signed for Hearts and couldn’t handle it. The pressure of playing for Hearts won’t go away. 

We’d bring Sammon back, he’d miss a sitter, the fans would get on top of him and his confidence would be shot again.

Austin Macphee also spoke of this last year at the meet the management event. 

I don't think it's the pressure of playing for hearts more that hearts don't play a style of football suited to forwards.

Sammon has played at a higher level and done okay so you'd think he wouldn't have an issue with us.

As mentioned we seem to try and get these strikers to fit our system and not the other way around. The most evident one was Sutton who regularly scored goals for Motherwell (before and after us) and St Mirren. We have a tendency to isolate our strikers for some reason and other than Kyle in recent years no one has really managed to play that game, Lafferty is doing it on occasion but even he's hit and miss.

Just now, Ryder said:

No. Think you might be confusing me with someone else.

Short memory Ryder?

To answer your question - check my previous post.  Sammon was horrendous at Hearts - it happens.  John Sutton was another - was he also boo'd into pish poor performances?

1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It's not an opinion.

another opinion.

2 minutes ago, Mr Rabbit said:

I don't think it's the pressure of playing for hearts more that hearts don't play a style of football suited to forwards.

Sammon has played at a higher level and done okay so you'd think he wouldn't have an issue with us.

As mentioned we seem to try and get these strikers to fit our system and not the other way around. The most evident one was Sutton who regularly scored goals for Motherwell (before and after us) and St Mirren. We have a tendency to isolate our strikers for some reason and other than Kyle in recent years no one has really managed to play that game, Lafferty is doing it on occasion but even he's hit and miss.

Hearts - the ruination of good strikers!    :facepalm:

1 minute ago, Thomaso said:

Short memory Ryder?

To answer your question - check my previous post.  Sammon was horrendous at Hearts - it happens.  John Sutton was another - was he also boo'd into pish poor performances?

Must have.

Checked your previous post. Thought it was nonsense and didn’t agree with it.

Just now, Ryder said:

Must have.

Checked your previous post. Thought it was nonsense and didn’t agree with it.

The Isma thread.

When this kind of thing happens (like with Sutton), the assumption always seems to be that he got better or worse.

But football is a team game, and some players work in some systems and not others. Some play well with certain managers and not others.

I think Sammon is a good fit for a club like Partick that often play sitting deep and counter-attacking.  That way he's not under constant pressure to break down defenses in the box, but instead plays in a lot of space and is often attacking defenses that are still tracking back and haven't yet set into their shape. When he's up against settled defenses, he struggles to find space or to receive the ball, and hence was most useless in situations like against Birkirkara.

So it's not a matter of him being shite or not shite but rather him fitting very well at Partick and not very well at Hearts. As I said he always played hard for us but it didn't work out. I wish him all the best personally but don't want him back.

6 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

The Isma thread.

I said I put you on ignore on the Isma thread? Well I must have forgotten to, or else I mixed your post up with one of the countless others that were trying to muddy the waters regarding a racist incident experienced by one of our players.  Perfectly possible I did say that. Your performance was seriously churlish.

6 minutes ago, Ryder said:

I said I put you on ignore on the Isma thread? Well I must have forgotten to, or else I mixed your post up with one of the countless others that were trying to muddy the waters regarding a racist incident experienced by one of our players.  Perfectly possible I did say that. Your performance was seriously churlish.

You can't remember but my performance was seemingly "seriously churlish"?

Anyway this is off topic so we'll leave it at that.

1 minute ago, Thomaso said:

You can't remember but my performance was seemingly "seriously churlish"?

Anyway this is off topic so we'll leave it at that.

I argued with a lot of folk that day. The general churlishness from a few was quite rancid. Easy to mix you up. :thumbsup:

12 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

When this kind of thing happens (like with Sutton), the assumption always seems to be that he got better or worse.

But football is a team game, and some players work in some systems and not others. Some play well with certain managers and not others.

I think Sammon is a good fit for a club like Partick that often play sitting deep and counter-attacking.  That way he's not under constant pressure to break down defenses in the box, but instead plays in a lot of space and is often attacking defenses that are still tracking back and haven't yet set into their shape. When he's up against settled defenses, he struggles to find space or to receive the ball, and hence was most useless in situations like against Birkirkara.

So it's not a matter of him being shite or not shite but rather him fitting very well at Partick and not very well at Hearts. As I said he always played hard for us but it didn't work out. I wish him all the best personally but don't want him back.

Pretty fair summation there bud.

1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

Hearts - the ruination of good strikers!    :facepalm:

:laugh: Not sure what i'm meant to do with that.

Give me a counter argument and i'm happy to give you a bit more. FWIW the point i was trying to make wasn't too dissimilar to the point Ugly American made, which you gave a pat on the back. I don't think it's our strikers who are shite just the set up we play doesn't seem to flatter strikers (for reference have a look at our top scorer for the last 10 years).

13 minutes ago, stotty said:

Sammon is mince. This is his first purple patch since he was at Killie the first time round, probably about 7 years ago! 

Seven year deal incoming. DAT PURPLE PATCH DOE.

5 hours ago, McCrae said:

Would rather give a young player the experience of being in the squad.

So would I but all of them are either not deemed good enough to be in the first team squad, have been loaned out or are injured.

We started the game the other day with youngsters in the squad but not a striker. We brought on 3 16/17 year olds which is great, but they were a midfielder and 2 guys who have only played for the first team so far as wingers 

If we had Keena, Zanatta or Roy available or Rory Currie fit, and we wanted to use them , then fine. But we don't.

I believe Euan Henderson is listed as a forward, I don't know if he has played there as a youth but I've only seen him play on the wing and don't think he is built for a shift up front.

As things stand, Sammon could do us a turn if required, either as a back up to Lafferty/Naismith if injured or coming off the bench

I think this thread just proves how desperate we are for some serous striking options.  At the moment we have Lafferty and everyone else is either injured or on loan.  Hard not to feel that this department of the team hasn't been managed as well as it might have over the January window.

Pasquale for King

The guy is still poor, his goals have been tap ins and penalties. Partick aren’t playing to his strengths as he doesn’t have any, can anyone name them? Give him his due with a team with low expectations he will do ok, like John Sutton for example. Boyd is scoring every week do we want him too?

I think Levein was confident of getting another striker in and didnt want to recall Sammon at the last minute when that fell through. I would swap him for Doolan who is a great sub.

7 hours ago, Ugly American said:

Very well put.

Agree wholeheartedly - Hearts have had many a decent striker that has not performed to expectation.

The strikers we have at the moment (Isma included from this season) aren’t really prolific. Put it a lot down to the way we play and our relatively poor midfield.

Its been a while since we had a really great striker.

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, Ugly American said:

Generally agree, but one of his better games was the European game, he had a couple of efforts and scored one!

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

The guy is still poor, his goals have been tap ins and penalties. Partick aren’t playing to his strengths as he doesn’t have any, can anyone name them? Give him his due with a team with low expectations he will do ok, like John Sutton for example. Boyd is scoring every week do we want him too?

I think Levein was confident of getting another striker in and didnt want to recall Sammon at the last minute when that fell through. I would swap him for Doolan who is a great sub.

Seriously? Yes.

He works hard, maintains good fitness, is good at pressuring opposing defenders, can attack the back post in the open defense, is good at finding teammates in the counter-attack, drops into midfield to help win goal kicks and 50/50 balls, and has a great attitude which helps the spirit of the team.

It didn't work out at Hearts for the reasons above.

5 hours ago, Ugly American said:

Seriously? Yes.

He works hard, maintains good fitness, is good at pressuring opposing defenders, can attack the back post in the open defense, is good at finding teammates in the counter-attack, drops into midfield to help win goal kicks and 50/50 balls, and has a great attitude which helps the spirit of the team.

Have you seen him play? I don’t recognise this player. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
8 hours ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

He was like a fish out of water with us.

Nails down a blackboard yet again.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Why do you even post on here?

As I've said before, you're the guy that walks into a room, farts ,leaves and chuckles in the corner as everyone else argues.

You contribute as much to jkb as Sammon is contributing to Hearts ATM.

See, I can put a dig in and stay on topic

You should try it, staying on topic, I mean -rather than just stinking the place out.

8 hours ago, Ugly American said:

Seriously? Yes.

Watched sammon play a number of times for us

Really poor every time

Chained to the ground

If Sammon was the answer,

I'd seriously wonder what the question was

Sammon wasn't good for Hearts but at least he tried.

Hopefully his form lands him another club. I'll concentrate my hatred on those who barely break into a jog.

Pasquale for King
8 hours ago, Ugly American said:

Seriously? Yes.

If he’s so good at all that why didnt the Hearts fans like him? He was playing in a team that got to 2nd? Watt created a few chances for him but they were usually on his left foot which is worse than his right. 

If he had a clean slate and was at themrvel of confidence that he is now he might be a useful sub, but we all know that’s not going to happen. Hopefully Partick will want him in the summer and we can all move on.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I watched his goal on Saturday and his first touch was poor but the ball luckily broke for him to score, his finish at parkhead was good though. I still think his weakness is his first touch and he needs the luck to be in his favor to score regularly. 

1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

Really poor every time

Chained to the ground

:thumbsup:

Geoff Kilpatrick
2 hours ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Why do you even post on here?

As I've said before, you're the guy that walks into a room, farts ,leaves and chuckles in the corner as everyone else argues.

You contribute as much to jkb as Sammon is contributing to Hearts ATM.

See, I can put a dig in and stay on topic

You should try it, staying on topic, I mean -rather than just stinking the place out.

I was pointing out your attempts at humour are cringeworthy. As for your question, I have been posting here long before you.

3 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Serious question.  What does this mean?

Is it an Aussie saying?

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I was pointing out your attempts at humour are cringeworthy. As for your question, I have been posting here long before you.

Two posts here today, as per- both completely off topic and looking for an argument.

Fart in the room, then leave the others to argue about who done it.

I never asked how long, I asked why you post on here, you seem to pick arguments.

This thread

:facepalm:

Sammon could go on to score in every game for the remainder of the season playing for PT it is irrelevant.  He never hit form when he was playing for us.  He was outclassed by Maltese fisherman ffs.

Geoff Kilpatrick
8 minutes ago, BigDave'sHeed said:

Two posts here today, as per- both completely off topic and looking for an argument.

Fart in the room, then leave the others to argue about who done it.

I never asked how long, I asked why you post on here, you seem to pick arguments.

Sorry for only making two posts. Nothing really happening that is worth commenting on. Apologies for reacting to yet another of your shite puns but hey ho, you broke the camel's back. Congratulations. The other post was because you replied.

Goodnight.

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Sorry for only making two posts. Nothing really happening that is worth commenting on. Apologies for reacting to yet another of your shite puns but hey ho, you broke the camel's back. Congratulations. The other post was because you replied.

Goodnight.

I'm honoured after scouring the board, the only thing you found worth commenting on was my pun. 

Couldn't have been that shite if it was the only thing you found worthy of picking up on.

More likely as normal, you have little to add so would try and start an argument for reasons best known to yourself.

Unlike Sammon, you need to try harder in order to hide your attempts at trolling, your trolling is worse than Sammon's first touch.

G'day to you as well.

6 hours ago, McCrae said:

Have you seen him play? I don’t recognise this player. 

3 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

Really poor every time

Chained to the ground

I was trying not to repeat myself.

The question was to name his strengths. I didn't name his weaknesses in that post, but I did in the previous post.  He can't take a touch in traffic to get himself free, he can't break down a defence in the box and create space for himself, needs too much time on the ball to square and shoot, and can't create chances at the back post in traffic, among others.

3 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

If he’s so good at all that why didnt the Hearts fans like him? He was playing in a team that got to 2nd? Watt created a few chances for him but they were usually on his left foot which is worse than his right. 

If he had a clean slate and was at themrvel of confidence that he is now he might be a useful sub, but we all know that’s not going to happen. Hopefully Partick will want him in the summer and we can all move on.

Some Hearts fans decided they didn't like him from before he kicked a ball, as was evident by the way he was greeted and the way he was discussed on here. I presume that's from watching him during his previous spells in the SPFL. Some fans are just arseholes I guess.

As I've said twice already, I don't think he fits at Tynecastle because of his weaknesses, and wish him all the best, elsewhere.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
9 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

Some Hearts fans decided they didn't like him from before he kicked a ball, as was evident by the way he was greeted and the way he was discussed on here. I presume that's from watching him during his previous spells in the SPFL. Some fans are just arseholes I guess.

As I've said twice already, I don't think he fits at Tynecastle because of his weaknesses, and wish him all the best, elsewhere.

I waited to watch him play before deciding he was shite. 

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

I was trying not to repeat myself.

The question was to name his strengths. I didn't name his weaknesses in that post, but I did in the previous post.  He can't take a touch in traffic to get himself free, he can't break down a defence in the box and create space for himself, needs too much time on the ball to square and shoot, and can't create chances at the back post in traffic, among others.

I was actually happy when we signed him and Watt to be honest but as you say others didnt fancy him. He was brought to Killie by JJ and recommend to us by Robbo, scored freely at Killie eventually. He also got caps for Ireland, maybe a minority didnt like him for that reason.

As you say good luck to him when he hopefully leaves this summer. 

5 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

From the most witless and tedious poster in Kickback history. Kudos on the successful irony bypass operation.

Sammon was largely dire as a starting striker for us. Don’t think he’s happy being the main man up front.

However, like Robbie Muirhead he was proving useful coming off the bench in the last few games before Neilson left. Bjorn Johnson was also coming onto a game as the main striker. I’d take any one or two of them back to have as back up now. Still don’t know why we got rid of all three.

1 hour ago, Ryder said:

From the most witless and tedious poster in Kickback history. Kudos on the successful irony bypass operation.

download.jpeg.80684bf0e9df2bb9c0768a06f3168bde.jpeg

The Future's Maroon
On 19/02/2018 at 12:10, Thomaso said:

He was a total numpty at Hearts - it happens, Sutton was the same. 

John Sutton, perfect example....just didn't fit/work here for some reason.

Some of the comments on this thread confirm to me that it’s not about what is best for Hearts in terms of results for some posters/supporters. More impetus is placed on liking a player. Anyone who says they wouldn’t have him back even if he ‘scores in every game between now and May’, or that he “had his chance”, clearly has other priorities than what’s best for the team.

Bungalow Bill
34 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Some of the comments on this thread confirm to me that it’s not about what is best for Hearts in terms of results for some posters/supporters. More impetus is placed on liking a player. Anyone who says they wouldn’t have him back even if he ‘scores in every game between now and May’, or that he “had his chance”, clearly has other priorities than what’s best for the team.

Haven’t read a single comment like that. Most of not all negative comments are about Sammon’s lack of ability or how it simply just didn’t work out for him at Hearts. You appear to be very precious about Sammon. There is no hatred for Sammon on a personal level. 

Archived