Skippy Doodle

Skippy Doodle

youtu.be/tmX2jfLPmYA

30 years ago on this day. JC scored a hat trick in a 6-0 thumping at Love Street. Find highlights to the game above

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This game after a sequence of 0-0 draws between the sides. There was no indication such a result was likely.

Cracking performance that day. JC was a tremendous player for us.

Football is completely different now. Not for the better imho 

Салатные палочки

Brian Hamilton playing for St Mirren there. 

That's filmed at a strange angle that.  

When you say 30 years that’s frightening! Sorry, not looked at the highlights but was it not really windy that day? 

Fine team then.

Think we finished 2nd but that was the same season when we lost to Celtic in the cup semis. (Which we sort of avenged in 2012 with our late pen)

N Lincs Jambo
53 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Brian Hamilton playing for St Mirren there. 

That's filmed at a strange angle that.  

And a certain Billy Davies. Took a late decision to go through with my mate. Howling gale behind us 1st half but what a statement of intent from Gary Mackay straight from the kick-off. Was glad of the 3-0 at half-time as I thought St Mirren would be straight back at us in the 2nd half. How wrong I was proved to be :)

Like another poster though, can't believe that was actually 30 years ago. Seems like yesterday.

27 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

When you say 30 years that’s frightening! Sorry, not looked at the highlights but was it not really windy that day? 

Fine team then.

Think we finished 2nd but that was the same season when we lost to Celtic in the cup semis. (Which we sort of avenged in 2012 with our late pen)

That sellik semi final in 1988 was a real sickener. Another major disappointment after 1986. We had it won, and then in a few minutes it was gone. Fair enough Henry made the mistake for the equaliser, fouled for the second, but ref was never going to blow for it

Good idea for a thread as London Hearts do 'on this day' tweets most days.

We looked so good at the start of 87/88, very strong and on paper at least, maybe stronger than the team we had in 85/86, all be with just a few additions. We were top of the league for about two or three months, I'm sure.

But a series of draws mid-season killed us, not least surrendering a two-goal lead at Parkhead.

...and it wouldn't be the last time Celtic came back to haunt us that season :(  

There is an HMFC 'on this day' book out - i think it's unofficial mind you. I received it as a secret Santa gift at Christmas there but it's an enjoyable wee read. Anyone else have it?

I might create a daily thread on what it says each day if folk are interested? 

I remember the St Mirren 6 nil game.  I seem to recall Gary Mackay hitting the crossbar from the half way line.

44 minutes ago, Homme said:

There is an HMFC 'on this day' book out - i think it's unofficial mind you. I received it as a secret Santa gift at Christmas there but it's an enjoyable wee read. Anyone else have it?

That would be a great daily thread Homme, the sort of thing that I’d love to read.

Count me in as ‘interested’.

Remember that game well, I was staying in Irvine at the time and due to the freezing cold wind if this had been any further away then I wouldn't have gone. Great result especially after what had gone on there in '86

55 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I remember the St Mirren 6 nil game.  I seem to recall Gary Mackay hitting the crossbar from the half way line.

Just over the bar.

SectionDJambo
2 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Fine team then.

It was very windy. We kicked with it in the first half and got to 3-0. We kind of expected a St Mirren comeback when they kicked with the wind, but Hearts just kept scoring.

A great display. Hard to think it was 30 years ago.

Салатные палочки
1 hour ago, Homme said:

Is that the newspaper cuttings one?  I have that, not sure if its the same one you're talking about but it's great looking back at all the old articles.  My only gripe is I wish they had more on the Mercer and Vlad takeovers but it concentrates more on games which is fair enough I suppose.  

33 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Is that the newspaper cuttings one?  I have that, not sure if its the same one you're talking about but it's great looking back at all the old articles.  My only gripe is I wish they had more on the Mercer and Vlad takeovers but it concentrates more on games which is fair enough I suppose.  

No, it’s quite a small book but packed with great memories. 

Much prefer the atmosphere at that Love Street to any iv experienced at the new Love Street (no idea its proper name) 

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

No, it’s quite a small book but packed with great memories. 

Correct.

ive not seen the newspaper cuttings one.

I’ll dig it out later and add a thread tonight!

5 hours ago, Buffalo Bill said:

Good idea for a thread as London Hearts do 'on this day' tweets most days.

We looked so good at the start of 87/88, very strong and on paper at least, maybe stronger than the team we had in 85/86, all be with just a few additions. We were top of the league for about two or three months, I'm sure.

But a series of draws mid-season killed us, not least surrendering a two-goal lead at Parkhead.

...and it wouldn't be the last time Celtic came back to haunt us that season :(  

I read an impressive article a while back on Hearts best sides in comparatively recent seasons including the ones you mention.  Can't remember the journalist but his conclusion was that these Hearts teams were strong enough to win these leagues but their squads weren't.

Wonder what others think of that view.  Seems plausible to me.

Hearts Heritage

Follow the @HeartsMuseum twitter account for daily updates. We post a daily summary of Hearts results eg

DVQ0I7CXUAArtRc.jpg

54 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

I read an impressive article a while back on Hearts best sides in comparatively recent seasons including the ones you mention.  Can't remember the journalist but his conclusion was that these Hearts teams were strong enough to win these leagues but their squads weren't.

We were up against a Celtic team hell-bent on winning the league during their centenary year but we did finish above Rangers. In fact, we were the only team outwith Celtic to finish above Rangers in the league since the Souness era began in 1986 up until they were liquidated in 2012. We actually managed that feat twice (1988 and 2006). 

I'm not sure about the team v squad argument. Rangers and Celtic were both strong.

2 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Always remember the macaroon guy at Love Street.

Erra Macaroons!!

Got the same shout in the 'Rangers end' at Hampden plus 'erra filt rolls'. Said rolls were filled with luncheon meat I think, or chopped ham and pork  :facepalm: 

5 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Erra Macaroons!!

Got the same shout in the 'Rangers end' at Hampden plus 'erra filt rolls'. Said rolls were filled with luncheon meat I think, or chopped ham and pork  :facepalm: 

Yep! Seems like a lifetime ago. Think the boy sold this too Image result for wrigleys juicy fruit chewing gum uk

Just now, Hendricks said:

Yep! Seems like a lifetime ago. Think the boy sold this too Image result for wrigleys juicy fruit chewing gum uk

He did indeed!!

33 minutes ago, Buffalo Bill said:

We were up against a Celtic team hell-bent on winning the league during their centenary year but we did finish above Rangers. In fact, we were the only team outwith Celtic to finish above Rangers in the league since the Souness era began in 1986 up until they were liquidated in 2012. We actually managed that feat twice (1988 and 2006). 

I'm not sure about the team v squad argument. Rangers and Celtic were both strong.

Some memorable games that season for both good and bad reasons!  

And some huge crowds; we played 4 matches at Tynecastle which all had just shy of 29,000 at them and the Scottish Cup semi final saw 67,000 at Hampden.

1 hour ago, Kiwidoug said:

Though we still had a good 2nd half to the season an absolutely critical moment in the 87-88 campaign came in the 1-1 draw with Rangers in mid January when we lost our outstanding 23 year old centre half Craig Levein for the rest of the season. A monumental blow given his ability and partnership with Davie McPherson and the fact we had a small squad. Who knows what might have happened that season but for that injury. 

Remarkably 7 players started at least 39 of the 44 league matches with Smith and McPherson starting every game! Incredible! Imagine that these days. Colquhoun 43, Whittaker 42, Black 41, Mackay 40, Robertson 39 where the other mainstays.

I obviously knew about Levein's injuries but had no idea of the timing and effect of that one.

Absolutely no doubt that Craig Levein was plagued with terrible luck as a player.  Let's hope it evens out from now on.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

87/88 and 97/98 are my two favourite seasons. 85/86 was my first season going, and while I could tell something special was happening I was too new to take it in. In 87/88 I really felt we were one of the best teams and winning the league felt like a real possibility. Going to Tynie was brilliant in those days. I never felt we'd lose and we rarely did. JC, JR, Henry, I miss those days. ?. I'd give up a great deal just to go back one more time and watch a home game in the late 80s. 

Thanks for sharing this Skippy.  My first proper season as an active supporter, went to most home games as a 9 year old with my pal and his Dad.  Nostalgia overdrive, life was great back then ?

2 hours ago, Hendricks said:

Yes he did! That brings back memories!

Салатные палочки
6 hours ago, Homme said:

Correct.

ive not seen the newspaper cuttings one.

I’ll dig it out later and add a thread tonight!

20180206_212835.jpg

20180206_212418.jpg

20180206_212444.jpg

Skippy Doodle

‪https://youtu.be/2x4zqP6TkxI‬

‪On this day 12 years there was the infamous fax machine story that meant our 1-1 draw with Dundee Utd got little mention‬

‪What are your memories of the atmosphere that evening?‬

29 minutes ago, Skippy Doodle said:

‪On this day 12 years there was the infamous fax machine story that meant our 1-1 draw with Dundee Utd got little mention‬

Got one of the club buses through, and when the news filtered through on the radio some hammered guy singing 'Vladimir Romanov, what were you thinking of' the whole way to Dundee. 

We had a big following through that night, mix of humour and frustration as it always was during that period from memory. Both of the players Vlad 'picked' that night should have been more than good enough for Hearts.

Skippy Doodle

‪https://youtu.be/YxttoCLyk0U on this day 26 years ago Eamonn bannon scored in a 1-0 home win against Dundee Utd

‪https://youtu.be/lW7cfjfHcP8 20 years ago Jose scored that goal in a 1-1 draw at home to Celtic‬

23 hours ago, Skippy Doodle said:

That was surreal. A mixture of defiance and frustration. 

Think Straceny played that night. Was Robbie dropped, perhaps?

Skippy Doodle
16 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

That was surreal. A mixture of defiance and frustration. 

Think Straceny played that night. Was Robbie dropped, perhaps?

Yeah he was in favour of petras. He was a good player but stigma from vlad fax debacle never left him

My dad still talks about the 6-0 St Mirren game to this day. The game itself, and that getting to and from it was like The warriors.

Hibs fans waiting at the train station for a scuffle, Celtic fans meeting them off the train, Love street division before and after the match, Celtic waiting again in Glasgow after and Hibs fans waiting at Haymarket coming home.

Салатные палочки
2 hours ago, Skippy Doodle said:

‪https://youtu.be/YxttoCLyk0U on this day 26 years ago Eamonn bannon scored in a 1-0 home win against Dundee Utd

‪https://youtu.be/lW7cfjfHcP8 20 years ago Jose scored that goal in a 1-1 draw at home to Celtic‬

Absolutely unreal scenes after that Jose equaliser.  There were a few people sporting cuts and bruises on the bus home after that celebration.  

Skippy Doodle
1 hour ago, Salad Fingers said:

Absolutely unreal scenes after that Jose equaliser.  There were a few people sporting cuts and bruises on the bus home after that celebration.  

Haha it was a crowd from forrester high that jumped on the park that day after the goal

iwasthere1954

Just watched the highlights of the game. I was there with my dad and 14 year old son. He's 45 next week. Where have the years gone. Sad thing is I still go to the games but my son doesn't.  That wind that day.

Fantastic scenes when Jose scored.

I was in Section G at the time and I can't even begin to describe how good it was being so close to the opposition fans at that moment.

Skippy Doodle

‪https://youtu.be/ME0LnN8P-mE‬

‪On this day 33 years ago Andy Watson & John Robertson scored to earn us a 2-2 draw at Pittodrie‬

‪A link to highlights of this game is above‬

i wish jj was my dad
On 06/02/2018 at 16:57, Kiwidoug said:

I think that's a fair assessment. We had some cracking players but a few injuries left us with the likes of Malky Murray, Billy MacKay and Paul Cherry. 

Later on losing Mickey and having Stevie Fulton running on empty cost us taking top Celtic and Rangers teams to the wire in 98 and Jordan was convinced that he was a couple of players away in 98. When Rangers got injuries they signed Dale Gordon and Paul Rideout. We brought Bannon out of mothballs.

Skippy Doodle

‪34 years ago today Derek O'Connor & John Robertson scored late goals to earn @JamTarts a 2-2 draw against Rangers‬

‪Highlights of the game can be found below‬

‪https://youtu.be/6uk8pR2Oj4M‬

Archived