New Striker?

kimosavi

14 minutes ago, Oliver Twist said:

Not sure why there seems to be a pant wetting session going on about a lack of strikers.  We only play one up front and have Naismish as back up. If the right player was available in January, I'm sure we'd have made an enquiry. There is no point in panicking about getting in a bench warmer.

If we lose Laff and Naismith there are plenty attacking players still in the squad.

Need him to start scoring soon

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Spencer said:

About what? Generating much needed revenue from a cup run? That lot taking 7 points from their trips to a Glasgow and sitting coincidentally 7 points above us? 

I care tbh. I would rather like to finish above them this and any season for that matter. Given the level they've played at for the last 3 years I did have aspirations that we might finish above them year

They have 8 in total against the OF. We have 4.  They have played one game more against them to date as well. In terms of being behind Hibs that’s only slightly more pivotal than the fact they are three points ahead in head to head games. 

2 hours ago, Spencer said:

This will only transpire if we can fill the stadium. There is no evidence to date that we are close to achieving that 

Latest set of Accounts support this and AB stated at the AGM we where we'll on our way to achieve significant increase in turnover in next years accounts.

Revenue is more than filling the stadium but clearly both go hand in hand in many ways 

19 minutes ago, Mollo said:

When is Levein due to be interviewed again? Surely it's gonna be one of the first questions asked

It will be Liam Craig in the line of fire next

23 minutes ago, Mollo said:

When is Levein due to be interviewed again? Surely it's gonna be one of the first questions asked

I suppose that depends on how (any) negotiations go with his target(s).

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

They have 8 in total against the OF. We have 4.  They have played one game more against them to date as well. In terms of being behind Hibs that’s only slightly more pivotal than the fact they are three points ahead in head to head games. 

We should be streets ahead of Hibs given that we've been in the premiership 2 years longer. 

No point going over all the mistakes that have been made though.

3 hours ago, Spencer said:

This will only transpire if we can fill the stadium. There is no evidence to date that we are close to achieving that 

We had an 80% capacity crowd on Saturday against one of the less supported and less attractive clubs in Scotland. 

2 hours ago, HMFC THE TEAM FOR ME said:

I don’t want to take anything away from Antony Macdonald, because he is a very exciting player reminds me very much of Ryan Gauld, however I have watched Dario at Raith & Queens Park much lower standard but been the best of a poor bunch good with both feet developed more physically can cross a ball and can certainly drive past players. In all honesty we can’t really say he’s been given the same chance to prove himself this year as the others have and with the attack being very thin I beleive he would of been a very positive option from the bench better player than Euan Henderson & Lewis Moore, for sure Anthony still very raw but showing all the right signs. Dario has had more experience than them all deserves a run of games.

I watched him at Tannadice a couple of seasons back. He was honking. He has clearly not done enough whilst at the club over that period of time, in his many games for the U20's or when out on loan, to make the coaching staff see what it is you clearly see. I haven't seen enough of Moore or Henderson to disagree with you, but both have looked no worse than Zanatta in the games they have played this season. Zanatta will be gone in the summer I bet. Shame. Hope I am wrong. 

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

The games against Rangers and Celtic has nothing to do with why were behind them. 

Ross County , Motherwell , Partick Thistle , Aberdeen all games we should of won thats 8points wed be above them. My mother would be my father stuff tho. We are where we are. Weve only lost 7games Rangers , Hibs and Aberdeen have lost 6 i think.

15 minutes ago, sadj said:

The games against Rangers and Celtic has nothing to do with why were behind them. 

Ross County , Motherwell , Partick Thistle , Aberdeen all games we should of won thats 8points wed be above them. My mother would be my father stuff tho. We are where we are. Weve only lost 7games Rangers , Hibs and Aberdeen have lost 6 i think.

I don't want to appear picky but what the hell!

When did the word have become of?

Bazzas right boot
45 minutes ago, Greedy_Jambo said:

We should be streets ahead of Hibs given that we've been in the premiership 2 years longer. 

Nah, we've funded a stand and diverted funds to our infrastructure. Hibs didn't need to do that.

It's not that black and white.

When they lose their two midfielders in the summer they'll regress badly again.

We are in a position to get the playing side right as well now, January isn't the best team me to make wholesale changes, highlighted by last year.

We should be streets ahead of clubs like Killie, Motherwell, St Johnstone- whats our excuses there?hibs Should be closer to us league wise than they generally tend to achieve.

We've went further in the cup them and it's still possible to catch them, even this season and they're having a good season and ours has been meh.

12 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

The same time ‘I/he/she/they said’ became ‘I/he/she/they was/were like’.

scott herbertson
Just now, Pistol1874 said:

The same time ‘I/he/she/they said’ became ‘I/he/she/they was/were like’.

Also the same time “we’ve gone further” became “we’ve went further”

16 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Tbf if you were going to deflect from my point with grammar issues??then has after Celtic may of been the one to pick? Of is also an acceptable term so I am sticking by it... ? 

7 hours ago, Flimsy said:

In what way are we not ready for Europe?

7 hours ago, Gavman81 said:

I never understand this "not ready for Europe " chat

Why do you need to be ready for a couple  of qualifiers ?

Its not like it's ever going to be a full on assault to make the group stages any time soon

Scottish teams simply don't have the quality- Aberdeen have been best of the rest by a mile the last wee while and haven't even made it past the third qualifying round 

Europe is good. Let's do it 

Because I’d rather we don’t get knocked out early doors against a side like Birkirkara again and cause meltdown before a balls been kicked in the league.

We need to get our own house in order domestically and then prepare for Europe. I don’t wanna just be in Europe to make up the numbers and get pumped out the first or second qualifiers every year. That’s beneficial to nobody.

6 minutes ago, Locky said:

Because I’d rather we don’t get knocked out early doors against a side like Birkirkara again and cause meltdown before a balls been kicked in the league.

We need to get our own house in order domestically and then prepare for Europe. I don’t wanna just be in Europe to make up the numbers and get pumped out the first or second qualifiers every year. That’s beneficial to nobody.

I see your point there, but surely finishing higher up the league to gain a European place as well as playing the qualifiers themselves would give us more of a financial boost and ultimately help us “get our own house in order.” 

7 minutes ago, Danny1874 said:

I see your point there, but surely finishing higher up the league to gain a European place as well as playing the qualifiers themselves would give us more of a financial boost and ultimately help us “get our own house in order.” 

The financial benefits of the first couple of qualifying rounds are practically nonexistent.

I think Leanne Dempster when she was at Motherwell, said they operated at a loss one season in the Europa because of the distance of the opponents.

1 hour ago, Greedy_Jambo said:

In theory yes, but in practise no. Every team that gets promoted gets an initial boost just by being promoted that leads them to fight harder and ride the wave of doing so well the previous season. Fully expect normal service to resume next season. McGinn is also something of a talisman for them so when he leaves they'll have a massive gap in midfield to plug. They won't replace him easily.

35 minutes ago, Locky said:

Tend to agree with this. It's a bizarre position to be in, but we're so far off the pace in European terms that qualification seems more of an irritant than something to be celebrated. It's certainly no money-spinner unless you can make it past the minnows into the first round proper...

21 minutes ago, OTT said:

In theory yes, but in practise no. Every team that gets promoted gets an initial boost just by being promoted that leads them to fight harder and ride the wave of doing so well the previous season. Fully expect normal service to resume next season. McGinn is also something of a talisman for them so when he leaves they'll have a massive gap in midfield to plug. They won't replace him easily.

If he leaves, no interest in him in January from what the hobos that I know told me. He has regressed this year (as you’d expect coming up a division I guess). Hibs definately had a bounce when they came up. The feel good factor played a part in our 3rd place finish when we came up as we were quite honking at times from December onwards. Once everything settles down we will be back clear of them. Weve had a very forgetful campaign bar the Celtic game and cup game yet they are the best team to ever wear green and are only 7 points ahead 4if you remove head to heads. That shows the difference in standard they expect and we expect. 

13 minutes ago, Cut The Crap said:

Tend to agree with this. It's a bizarre position to be in, but we're so far off the pace in European terms that qualification seems more of an irritant than something to be celebrated. It's certainly no money-spinner unless you can make it past the minnows into the first round proper...

A fair argument , co-efficient comes into play aswell i believe , a crap national team , our league co-efficient and our own co-efficient all hamper progression. So playing devils advocate a constant Euro appearance of reaching the last qualifying round would lead to this improving. Maybe on law of averages alone we’d make it through to the group once at least over say five years as we move forward and we need to make that count. Much as its depressing to say with Rangers being unable to compete at a level like Celtic that has smashed the Scottish co-efficient and no other team has stepped up to try and repair it. 

(By no means an expert on co-efficients so if the system has changed feel free to point out the holes in my post)

5 hours ago, Spencer said:

Here is the self styled JKB police. Can you tell me off the top of your head when we last took 7 points from trips to Ibrox and Parkhead in a single season? This place would be a jizzfest if we won twice at Ibrox in a season 

Saturday is massive for us Al. Cup runs are huge given the revenue you generate if you reach the latter stages. That is something our neighbours have done with considerably greater regularity than we have in the period since May 2012 

Apropos of nothing, may I take this opportunity to congratulate.......

For me , European qualification is tangible sucesss and reward for the season

It gives you some extra games to look forward to, additional income regardless how minimal that might be , and if you get lucky you could have another Liverpool / Spurs game to look forward to

I also want to make a noise 

6 hours ago, Busby8 said:

I think it's more about recognising the problems we'd have if we lost one or both of them for a crucial cup tie.

its just how far we have come in such a short time that gets me, to have two quality players and worry what would happen if we didnt have them! Lafferty was out last crucial cup tie and I'm sure we won that

for example if hibs lost their two strikers theyd struggle, if rangers lost morelos and cummings theyd struggle, celtic would even struggle if they lost dembele and griffiths.

So after 4 pages, we are none the wiser as to whether any progress has been made in signing a new striker. Classic Kickback.

scott herbertson
12 minutes ago, daveyhmfc said:

So after 4 pages, we are none the wiser as to whether any progress has been made in signing a new striker. Classic Kickback.

On the bright side we have established that we can drivel on for at least four pages with nothing to say though.........

I think Craig should sign 2 free agent strikers on short term prove yourself deals. 

1 young fast prove yerself ya bazza

1 older more experienced hold the ball up a bit and smash the ball in the net when you get the chance bazza

If they're both shite... fair do's. short term deals... cye later alligator.

Putting all yer boiled eggs in one basket is not a good idea. If he flops, you've also flopped. Ya big flopper. 

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

On the bright side we have established that we can drivel on for at least four pages with nothing to say though.........

Think the original Naismith thread proved that kick back can take a topic in any direction, for as long as allowed.

4 pages is chicken feed.

Selkirkhmfc1874
3 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Progress has been made.

Craig levein hopeful of having new striker in for Saturdays game 

5 hours ago, sadj said:

Tbf if you were going to deflect from my point with grammar issues??then has after Celtic may of been the one to pick? Of is also an acceptable term so I am sticking by it... ? 

'Has' is just a mistake and not worth remarking on.

'Of' is a complete misunderstanding of the expression should've.

4 hours ago, Cut The Crap said:

Europe should always be our top realistic target every season along with a good cup run. All we need is a decent team that has played together before the euro games and a half decent draw and there’s no reason we can’t go on a wee european run one day like some other smaller teams have done. Got to be in it for that to happen though. 

fabienleclerq
20 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Progress has been made.

This nugget just made reading the rest of the thread worth it!

scott herbertson
4 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Would any signing be able to play on Saturday?

Unless international clearance is a problem and they are not cup tiedin Scotland then I’d say yes.

5 hours ago, sadj said:

Too many grammar snobs on heer.

Archived