New Striker?

kimosavi

As someone has pointed out in the designated TW thread, he’s played for two clubs this season so regardless if he has cancelled his contract before or after the window shut he cannot play for anyone else until the 2018-19 season. So unless he’s coming to Scotland to sign a pre-contract he’s just probably coming home to family. However although I can’t see it, I for one would be interested to see what Levein could do with him.

Back to the topic, any news (rather than conjecture) on who if anyone will be the new striker?

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

As someone has pointed out in the designated TW thread, he’s played for two clubs this season so regardless if he has cancelled his contract before or after the window shut he cannot play for anyone else until the 2018-19 season. So unless he’s coming to Scotland to sign a pre-contract he’s just probably coming home to family.

I'd like to drag it back off topic for just another second to say I'm astonished by this rule as well.  If a player goes out on loan then returns and is sold to another club, he can't play until the next season if he played a game for the first two?

4 minutes ago, WageThief said:

I'd like to drag it back off topic for just another second to say I'm astonished by this rule as well.  If a player goes out on loan then returns and is sold to another club, he can't play until the next season if he played a game for the first two?

Yup. Can be registered for three but only play for two. A few years ago Ben Arfa signed for Nice but couldn’t play as he had played a handful of games on loan at Hull from Newcastle and played a reserve game for Newcastle, not even a first team game. Signed for Nice in January but didn’t play for them until the following season. I understand the rule and why it’s sensible in many respects, but there are times where exceptions really should be made.

Ok so Watt is in limbo with a pay-off in his pocket. Now who are we signing this week because we all know a couple of goal scoring strikers would be the business for league qualification in europe and Scottish Cup success.

Onwards and upwards for Hearts.

4 hours ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

As @StevenNaismith has correctly pointed out, Tony Watt has been released from Leuven but the transfer window as all of you are aware in Scotland. Therefore he can’t be registered to play with a new Scottish club until the summer. 

Players need to to be released or free agents before our window closing in order to sign them to play this season.

Correct. If he's been released to join another club, it'll have to be one in a country whose window is still open, such as the USA or China.

4 hours ago, RDSK said:

He’s not a bad footballer by any means. Played far too deep at hearts to be effective and his decision making is poor. He’d be a good option to come on when we are winning the game and he’d be a good option to start at places like Parkhead, Ibrox, Aberdeen and ER where teams aren’t sitting in and defending against us. Basically, I think if he played off the last defender in games or at particular times in games where there is space in behind the defence he would be effective. 

He is though. He's got great ball control skills, but absolutely no idea how to do anything other than take on and go past one guy then look for another to take on. He has no idea when to try to go for goal and when to try to pass, and when he goes for goal, his efforts are usually abysmal, and when he tries to pass, he couldn't pass water!

If you want to watch someone do tricks with a ball, he's your man. If you want to watch someone play football and be at least vaguely useful for the team they're on, he isn't. 

3 hours ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

Tony Watt reminds me of the best player in the primary school team.  He wants to dribble round everyone twice and hit the ball in the top corner.

He can do the first bit of that but the best he'd manage after that is to sclaff a trundler straight at the keeper.

2 hours ago, WageThief said:

I think you are correct, but I am pretty astonished that is the case.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/6971785.stm

Why? It would pretty much completely negate transfer windows if players could just buy out their contract at one club and sign the next day for another after the window has closed. There basically wouldn't be a window at all if that were allowed. 

2 hours ago, socrates82 said:

Possibly but then why not do that before the window shuts so he can get a club? The club loses money and a player and the player loses income and fitness.

If he's not happy there and they're not happy with him, it would seem entirely sensible for both parties to negotiate an early parting of company.

Exactly a year ago 

https://stv.tv/sport/football/1380234-tony-watt-i-don-t-want-to-come-back-to-scottish-football/

Watt is best known in Scotland for scoring the winner for Celtic against Barcelona while still a teenager but the 23-year old says he doesn't see himself returning to Scotland in the next decade.

"I came back for myself," he told STV. "I had an injury in the summer and it was never going to be a long term option.

"I don't want to be back in Scottish football, to be honest with you. I enjoyed it at Hearts but I don't see myself in Scottish football in the next five or ten years."

Watt spoke in glowing terms about his experience at Hearts but was clear that for financial reasons and because of playing style, he saw no reason to consider playing in the SPFL in the future.

I'd prefer to sign no strikers than watt. Didn't exactly cover himself in glory the last time he was with us and as others have said, not the best role model or attitude for the young guys.

scott herbertson
3 hours ago, socrates82 said:

Levein wouldn't stand for that. He likes pretty reliable players who do what they're asked or try to at least, eg Bauben.

Indeed, that’s why I think he won’t be coming -he’s not a reliable player who does what he is asked

Dagger Is Back
34 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Exactly a year ago 

https://stv.tv/sport/football/1380234-tony-watt-i-don-t-want-to-come-back-to-scottish-football/

Watt is best known in Scotland for scoring the winner for Celtic against Barcelona while still a teenager but the 23-year old says he doesn't see himself returning to Scotland in the next decade.

"I came back for myself," he told STV. "I had an injury in the summer and it was never going to be a long term option.

"I don't want to be back in Scottish football, to be honest with you. I enjoyed it at Hearts but I don't see myself in Scottish football in the next five or ten years."

Watt spoke in glowing terms about his experience at Hearts but was clear that for financial reasons and because of playing style, he saw no reason to consider playing in the SPFL in the future.

God almighty, the boy seems to have an ego bigger than McGinns backside.

He is an incomplete footballer. Good close skills, fast feet but no end product, poor decision making and a bit of a solo artist.

There’s only so long he could live on THAT goal and that time is long gone.

3 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

God almighty, the boy seems to have an ego bigger than McGinns backside.

He is an incomplete footballer. Good close skills, fast feet but no end product, poor decision making and a bit of a solo artist.

There’s only so long he could live on THAT goal and that time is long gone.

Fair play to him though. He's built a career (of sorts) out of that goal. Proves there is no shortage of managers willing to take a chance on someone who played for a big team at a young age. Must have a great agent. He must be setting a record for "last chance saloon" contracts though. Unlike some other wasted talent types like OConnor and Riorden, or David Goodwillie, he's really not played consistently for anyone and has never had a great season anywhere. I wonder if he's one of these footballers who just doesn't really like being a footballer and is just doing it for a while until something better turns up?

Special Agent Dale Cooper
1 minute ago, socrates82 said:

Fair play to him though. He's built a career (of sorts) out of that goal. Proves there is no shortage of managers willing to take a chance on someone who played for a big team at a young age. Must have a great agent. He must be setting a record for "last chance saloon" contracts though. Unlike some other wasted talent types like OConnor and Riorden, or David Goodwillie, he's really not played consistently for anyone and has never had a great season anywhere. I wonder if he's one of these footballers who just doesn't really like being a footballer and is just doing it for a while until something better turns up?

I think he's just a bit immature tbh.

1 hour ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Why? It would pretty much completely negate transfer windows if players could just buy out their contract at one club and sign the next day for another after the window has closed. There basically wouldn't be a window at all if that were allowed. 

Yeah fair point

Arthur Morgan
15 hours ago, StevenNaismith said:

Has anyone thought that he may be talking about getting flak for failing at ANOTHER club?

This is how I interpreted it.

So, any of the ITK brigade care to drip feed us mere mortals a delicious tit-bit of information , as to the who and when of the New Striker ? 

or ...not !

All gone quiet on getting a striker then. Not a peep from the club, nothing from the manager or the press...........not looking good I'd say.

19 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

All gone quiet on getting a striker then. Not a peep from the club, nothing from the manager or the press...........not looking good I'd say.

Maybe the Calm before the Storm ? 

3 minutes ago, gorgieheart said:

Maybe the Calm before the Storm ? 

CL was talking about two new strikers so how cool would it be if they were actually called The Calm and The Storm. Just like WWE

Can almost hear Scott announcing "Replacing Kyle Lafferty is number 47, The Storm"

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Im guessing, the right deal is not out there and its not worth spending for the sake of it

Looking less likely indeed. Hasn’t stopped this thread going 15 pages though. Started off with pages of Lafferty/Naismith chat, then onto whether or not Sammon is bad or he just got boos. Then a lot of horse chat that disappeared and then bunch of stuff about Tony Watt who can’t sign for *anyone* until next season.

These are the names that in the midst of all that have been touted so far:

Michael Higdon

Dominique Malonga

Victor Anichibe

Souleymane Coulibaly

Michiel Kramer

Danijel Subotic

Victor Aquino

Oleksandr Gladsky

Yahia Kébé

Ishmael Miller

Sanharib Malki

Dominique Da Sylva

Tony Watt

Looking like we won’t get anyone, but if we do I doubt it’ll be any of the above.

Auldreekie1874

Talks could have stalled but it could be that negotiations are complicated and if so that could point to Coulibaly.

Just thinking out loud with crossed fingers.

It would be disappointing if nothing happens. I understand these things are at times difficult and complicated, but we will find it very tough if both Lafferty and Naismith are out at the same time.

18 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

It would be disappointing if nothing happens. I understand these things are at times difficult and complicated, but we will find it very tough if both Lafferty and Naismith are out at the same time.

Still time, no need to panic just yet imo. I would like to see someone in for Saturday though. 

Craig levein spent most of this afternoon speaking to tony docherty at forfar .so dont expect anything on new striker soon

scott herbertson
9 minutes ago, scabber said:

Craig levein spent most of this afternoon speaking to tony docherty at forfar .so dont expect anything on new striker soon

Whats Docherty’s goals per game ratio?

27 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Whats Docherty’s goals per game ratio?

Does the Aberdeen assistant manager have a goals per game ratio ?

4 minutes ago, scabber said:

Does the Aberdeen assistant manager have a goals per game ratio ?

58 games 0 goals

I think we should look elsewhere.

Bazzas right boot
18 hours ago, Special Agent Dale Cooper said:

I think he's just a bit immature tbh.

And silly.

He'll not be on Mastermind anytime soon.

Tony Watt is a selfish B on and off the pitch.

He's obviously got bags of talent in certain areas but he's severely lacking in others. 

If he screwed the nut, maybe he would be an outstanding player, but he's had far too many chances now, including one at Hearts. 

It's a no from me. 

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Im guessing, the right deal is not out there and its not worth spending for the sake of it

Most of the strikers won't have played in a few weeks now, and if they've been released, maybe even longer. If Hearts have decided not to get anyone that's the right decision IMO

1 hour ago, rudi must stay said:

Most of the strikers won't have played in a few weeks now, and if they've been released, maybe even longer. If Hearts have decided not to get anyone that's the right decision IMO

It is as long as we don't get any further in the SC because we may face the more difficult teams without key players

2 hours ago, scabber said:

Why?  Are they just mates from their time at Dundee Utd?  

1 minute ago, WageThief said:

probably telling him how to wind up popcorn teeth

5 minutes ago, WageThief said:

Most of the managers speak to each other at development games, nothing out of the usual the all seem friendly with each other

3 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Looking like we won’t get anyone, but if we do I doubt it’ll be any of the above.

I'd hope we are looking at some of the better out-of-contract players too.  We could conceivably get someone on quite a low wage for their quality (at least till the end of the season).  The list below isn't mines, and is probably expensive rubbish (and worse, Stokes!), but the boy Boymans is quite intriguing.  He has a tremendous goalscoring record.  He's 28 and been without a club since the summer.  What the f is he doing?  Coke?  Or just refusing to sign for anyone for less than 5k per week?  

I think quite a few on the list below have already been signed (Faupala), or retired (Fryatt).

For – Matty Fryatt, Dexter Blackstock, Ishmael Miller, Rai Simons, Ruud Boymans, Carlton Cole, Mirko Vucinic, Alex Nimely, James Barigan, Danny Rowe, David Faupala, Anthony Stokes, Milan Lalkovic, Bobby Duncan, Diego de Girolamo, Ivan Lucic

13 minutes ago, scabber said:

Most of the managers speak to each other at development games, nothing out of the usual the all seem friendly with each other

Sorry I didn't realise what was going on in Forfar.  I thought you meant they were having a chat in a cafe or something!  Deary me.

:laugh:

Captain Canada

The longer it goes the more I think we don't get anyone. Seems that Danny is far from fit going by CL's comments and I doubt he'll want to sign another player that needs weeks to get up to speed. 

I'd hope we could just recall Keena and Zanatta but I guess that would have happened already if it was an option. 

1 hour ago, WageThief said:

I'd hope we are looking at some of the better out-of-contract players too.  We could conceivably get someone on quite a low wage for their quality (at least till the end of the season).  The list below isn't mines, and is probably expensive rubbish (and worse, Stokes!), but the boy Boymans is quite intriguing.  He has a tremendous goalscoring record.  He's 28 and been without a club since the summer.  What the f is he doing?  Coke?  Or just refusing to sign for anyone for less than 5k per week?  

I think quite a few on the list below have already been signed (Faupala), or retired (Fryatt).

For – Matty Fryatt, Dexter Blackstock, Ishmael Miller, Rai Simons, Ruud Boymans, Carlton Cole, Mirko Vucinic, Alex Nimely, James Barigan, Danny Rowe, David Faupala, Anthony Stokes, Milan Lalkovic, Bobby Duncan, Diego de Girolamo, Ivan Lucic

Could make a mint marketing that right 

flat,800x800,075,f.jpg

3 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

It's Tuesday. 

Plenty time to get things sorted out.

Hopefully Daza and / or Notts can shed some light on things.

2 weeks alsmost since windae slammed shut CL stated that the pick get snapped up days after. We are now going in 14 days and nothing. This would suggest that nobody of the calibre that would add to the current squad is not deemed good enough we may have to go with what we have got 

Archived