VAR used to reverse offside decision & award goal

redjambo

Just now, Manny1874 said:

Remember last season Jamie Walker was given a two match ban for a dive against Celtic. 

The power is obviously there but only used in certain circumstances. 

Quelle surprise. :)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Footballfirst
4 minutes ago, Manny1874 said:

Remember last season Jamie Walker was given a two match ban for a dive against Celtic. 

The power is obviously there but only used in certain circumstances. 

The "circumstances", as determined after the event, was that Walker's action deceived the ref into giving a wrong decision, hence the retrospective action.  If the ref had judged it to be a dive at the game then Walker would have been booked and no penalty awarded.

Similarly, if the ref had given a penalty following Pedro's dive, then Pedro would be open to retrospective action by the English FA for conning the ref..

23 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

3 bookings for dives might be a record?

Mind St Johnstone getting two booked for diving in the game, in September 2016, after Tommy Wright had called Hearts divers in the build up to. Can't think of a team getting 3 booked for cheating in the same game.

16 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I'm aware of that distinction, but a clear dive like Pedro's is cheating and every bit as wrong as a defenders handball on the line.

I'd also punish a deliberate handball to "score" a goal by a red card as well.

Add this to the list of "cheating" transgressions that should attract longer suspensions.

Intriguing to see how genuinely stunned Chelsea players were to get booked for diving tonight. Also the way Jermaine Jenas was so keen to give penalties for minimum contact. There is a culture of cheating and if this is what VAR is going to help tackle then it really is a great leap forward. 

south morroccan
2 hours ago, kila said:

If Morata hadn't thrown himself to the ground, would you still be saying it is a penalty?

I would. He had one arm o n his left shoulder one on his right arm and was behind him.. Impossible to tell how tightly he was being gripped but he was certainly being held back. These are given anywhere else on the pitch but in the box 'you have to go down' or its ignored.

joondalupjambo

Did you notice that the Norwich scorer went straight off the pitch and into the away fans arms after he scored.   No booking.   Hope Fossie was not watching as he would have been fuming.  He got booked for jumping up on the railings, never even got to the Hearts fans.   Point is how inconsistent are refs when it comes to celebrating goals.  Up here refs seem to go card happy when it happens, down south, not so.  Thought the rules were the same all over, no going into the crowd.

6 hours ago, south morroccan said:

I would. He had one arm o n his left shoulder one on his right arm and was behind him.. Impossible to tell how tightly he was being gripped but he was certainly being held back. These are given anywhere else on the pitch but in the box 'you have to go down' or its ignored.

Agree.  The defender had both hands on his shoulders - its a penalty.  Just like every single corner these days with defender wrapping arms round forwards - it seems to be accepted by Refs now.     The problem is that because the Refs wont give a foul or penalty unless you "go down" so the player has to "go down easily".       The problem is the gutless Refs who wont blow for any foul unless the player goes to ground - if the Refs start enforcing the laws properly then "going down easily" - i.e. diving, will reduce.

There was certainly a fair few talking points in the game last night. Think that was probably one of the most interesting 30 minutes I’ve Football I’ve watched for a while.

All 3 penalty claims could’ve been given in fairness. Only mistake I think the ref could be accused of making was booking Willian and Morata.

I’m not convinced they were blatant dives as such. For me there’s a fine line between going down easy and blatantly diving.

Willian definitely played for it and Morata went down a wee bit too easy, but Norwich got away with another claim in Morata when Klose had his 2 arms wrapped round him in the box.

But, the laws of the game state that if the ref thinks the players dived he must be booked so fair play to the ref for at least being consistent to the laws of the game.

Didn't watch the game but saw the William clip on BBC website.

VAR not used?

If not I'd the view it couldn't be used as not a significant error by ref as William did appear to 'pre simulate dive before the contact

25 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Didn't watch the game but saw the William clip on BBC website.

VAR not used?

If not I'd the view it couldn't be used as not a significant error by ref as William did appear to 'pre simulate dive before the contact

VAR was used

"Not an obvious error" was the call made

7 hours ago, south morroccan said:

I am interested in the concept that grabbing / grappling isn't a foul

Are some people saying it isn't? 

7 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

VAR was used

"Not an obvious error" was the call made

So the key challenge is the subjective nature of many football decisions.

If the view is that if a player pre anticpiates contact and starts to fall ahead if contact,  its stimulation, then just make that the guideline all refs work too.

The VAR review on the Willan incident was similar to some given in cricket review's . It would have been a penalty BUT it was not a obviously huge error from the official so go with the on field decision. I am 50/50 on the actual decision I thought that Willan was on the way down before the contact was made and that the contact was very slight but there was contact so does that make it a penalty?

VAR is going to be a bit controversial initially but eventually it will be accepted, however there are going to be lots of new situations that will grind the cogs of some for example a great goal is scored after a wrongly awarded throw in and the play is brought back goal dis allowed and the throw in given the other way? I mean VAR cannot be just about getting some wrong righted and less shall be say high profile ones ignored can it ?

Funniest half hour of football I've seen in a while. The disbelief on their coupons was hilarious. Getting caught diving continually looking for penalties , they certainly need to work on that area of their game.

Jose will be very disappointed at how shoddy they've become.

avhudtheteeshirt

VAR is OK for everywhere but Scotland, to many people of the Ugly persuasion here to make it fair on every other club!

Look at our Tv Pundits, they choose to tow the line of "if I agree I'll keep my job"!!!! 

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 22:23, redjambo said:

Pity it wasn't available for the last Derby..........it would have confirmed the guy was offside and shut Lennon the feck up!

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, Thomaso said:

Pity it wasn't available for the last Derby..........it would have confirmed the guy was offside and shut Lennon the feck up!

I think there's a couple of instances going the other way which I'd prefer to remain unseen - couple of balls over the goal line, missus. 

2 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I think there's a couple of instances going the other way which I'd prefer to remain unseen - couple of balls over the goal line, missus. 

The guy was offside before he put the ball over the line.

The VAR would also have confirmed Hibs defender's handball and Hearts would have been awarded a penalty, missus!

Archived